Curb Appeal
desertvalley
Would like to improve the landscape in the front. Any suggestions?
janeannrob
You've got a lot of grass going on out there. Are you willing to give up some of it? I'd suggest a smaller, more free-form style of lawn area bordered by a larger new accent area to the left featuring a unique accent tree and colorful shrubs grouped in complimentary ways. It would involve reconfiguring your sprinkler system, but would bring more interest and color to your home. Also would suggest annual planting area(s) next to the curved walkway. Do you have any 'down lighting' under the eaves along the front lower walls? Any exterior landscape feature lighting? That's just off the top of my head...Good luck!
0 Likes   Thanked by desertvalley    August 2, 2013 at 12:15PM
Removal of the standard clumpy hedges and installation of xeriscape to make your home a tropical or desert beauty with low-maintenance and low-water usage.
Equestrian Luxury by XL Landscape
Private Residence
1 Like   August 2, 2013 at 12:30PM
mcbriec
I was just going to suggest what Decoenthusiaste did. I would remove the middle tree that is next to the palm tree in the first pic as everything there is very crowded. If you want to keep palms and that look, you should add more of them. I can't make specific recommendations since you did not post your USDA zone but since you have palms you presumably are in zone 9 and don't have heavy frost???? If I'm correct you could use phormiums and cordylines and smaller palms, like sago palms.
1 Like   Thanked by desertvalley    August 2, 2013 at 12:50PM
desertvalley
Yes a lot of grass to mow. We had thought of a fence in front to break up the all grass look. Unfortunately the HOA requires more grass less desert-scape. There is canned lights under the porch with side lanterns by the door. Also in the garden area we have the up-lighting too. I like the idea to remove the tree left of the palm. Thought of a tree further out in the yard?
1 Like   August 2, 2013 at 1:44PM
janeannrob
A nice "specimen" type of tree, something with a WOW factor that suits your climate. HOA doesn't want too much "desert scape" huh? How about the shrub/perennial plant groupings surrounding the specimen tree with a slightly sloped hill? Not desert scape, but less mowing for sure. Mulch under and around this area of course.
1 Like   August 2, 2013 at 4:53PM
HI -- great house ! But you have a lot of roof showing , so I think you need a few trees with bigger canopies to help fill in some of the upper space. How about reducing some of the lawn area with a ground cover , like pea grass or Japanese forest grass. You don't have to mow them and they are fairly drought tolerant . The pea grass, I think grows in your area and it looks lush and has little tiny yellow flowers . The Japanese forest grass grows in soft long waves and forms little hills of long grass. Very soft to walk on and looks lush and fresh. The palm trees you have look very tortured . I think they should be removed . Do the tall slender cypress trees grow in your area ? If they do, a few groupings of those would look nice with your house style.
0 Likes   Thanked by desertvalley    August 2, 2013 at 5:11PM
Pebble Stone Coatings
Another great option is to resurface your walkway/entryway into your home. Pebble Stone Coatings provides an all natural pebble stone surface that will instantly transform the look of your home while gaining an imense amount of curb appeal. We offer a variety of colors and designs to make it as personal as you want.

Visit us at www.pebblestonecoatings.com for more ideas and information!
0 Likes   Thanked by desertvalley    August 9, 2013 at 3:16PM
Everything Beautiful Home Designs LLC
We can provide you a concept drawings if you want. There is a small charge for this service .see more in my idea book.
0 Likes   Thanked by desertvalley    August 9, 2013 at 4:13PM
daylilydiva
Are you in Southern California/Florida? Your USDA zone has a lot of bearing on what to use.
0 Likes   August 9, 2013 at 4:19PM
Everything Beautiful Home Designs LLC
Yes that's right mearly a concet drawing without knowing your zone you would not be able to use these plants . I am in Virginia . The drawing is just that a drawing with drought resistant plants and grasses, succulents . I have done landscaping in Cali, mirraloma . Most of what you have grows well here , we have palms and boxwoods .
0 Likes   August 9, 2013 at 5:32PM
Curb Appeal or should I say LACK OF Curb Appeal, HELP!!
Hi All, we are preparing the inside of our Pacific...
Curb appeal appeal
Hi all, We are finishing a renovation, and have come...
Improve curb appeal and change to appealing color scheme
Want to upgrade the front of the house with color scheme...
Appeal for more curb appeal!
Hello. Hoping you can give me some ideas for my exterior....
Need advice/suggestions on paint color
I'm moving into a new condo with Brazilian Jatoba hardwood...
Dining Room help -- paint and wall decor needed?
I need design help! I want my dining room to look "finished"...
Help with granite wall diagnosis and repair!
Happy Thanksgiving! There is this beautiful granite...
Need help updating living room
We are working on decorating our living room. Looking...