Need help for my kitchen
beej0426August 2, 2013
I'm in the processes of buying this house and stuck on what colors to paint the kitchen. New paint and minor things is all I can afford at the moment. The attached pictures are all I have as we haven't actually closed on the house yet. I thought about a blue tone but would rather save the blue for my bedroom.....so was thinking maybe a beige tone....any ideas are greatly appreciated!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
R Robulock
I love white kitchens with black countertop. If your #1 priority is to paint, paint bright white, your kitchen should feel airy and clean and comfy. No blue, no gray.

#2 - I notice that your appliances do not match. I would invest in SS appliances to really make a big impression that adds class and style with just $3,000.
    Bookmark   August 2, 2013 at 1:11PM
R Robulock
When you can, maybe next year, replace the knobs for a more modern look. I believe the color on the walls in this picture is an oyster white.
    Bookmark   Thanked by beej0426    August 2, 2013 at 1:12PM
beej0426
Thanks! I already have a stainless fridge and will eventually replace the other appliances. The appliances in the pic belong to the current residents.
1 Like    Bookmark   August 2, 2013 at 1:14PM
Christy Tay
How about a bright, yellow kitchen? If not yellow, maybe something neutral. Then maybe an update on the light fixture.
    Bookmark   Thanked by beej0426    August 2, 2013 at 1:18PM
indianpatti
I would paint it white .... leaves you WIDE open to have fun/add color/texture with the backsplash :)
    Bookmark   Thanked by beej0426    August 2, 2013 at 1:19PM
PRO
Inspired Interiors by Wendi, IIDA
I would paint the walls a greige, such as Sherwin-Williams' 7542 Naturel, as it will tie in the stainless steel appliances and beige floor tiles and look great with the black counter tops.
    Bookmark   Thanked by beej0426    August 2, 2013 at 1:54PM
Margo
As long as you have stainless appliances than I would give this kitchen a dose of sunshine and paint a soft yellow;) That bisque refrigerator in the photo had me worried...
    Bookmark   August 2, 2013 at 2:00PM
PRO
Scott Design, Inc.
I like the thick countertop very much. The grey in this kitchen is not happy. I agree with the white paint crowd. Then you add splashes of color...in the backsplash, table and chairs, throw rug, etc.
In addition to color, consider
1.Removing the soffit above the cabinets to open up the space. It will give a whole new look to your window area also. Apply molding to the top of the cabinets instead.
2.Pull the cabinet above the refrigerator forward only if you can put a ¾” thick 25” x 84” vertical panel to the right to not only help to support the cabinet but reduce the “bulk” of the refrigerator. Paint it to match the cabinet color. Also the difference between the S/S front and grey sides will be hidden (if that’s of any importance).
3.Install concealed hinges on your cabinets to update the hardware appearance.
4.Work with a backsplash treatment. I don’t think I would continue with the black mosaic behind the sink. Maybe stone to coordinate with your floor and mother of pearl or spun glass mosaic border or insets.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by beej0426    August 2, 2013 at 2:30PM
R Robulock
Your welcome bee!
    Bookmark   August 2, 2013 at 10:06PM
R Robulock
My mom painted her kitchen yellow even after I told her not to (see is stubborn), she HATES it, yellow does not give a dose of sunshine, only real sunshine does that, keep the windows open for that.

If you choose a color with beige, it will warm it up and that is exactly how it looks now and what you want to avoid. If you want to bring out the SS appliance then go for a very light cool gray, almost white, that would look amazing!

Sorrry, just being truthful.
    Bookmark   Thanked by beej0426    August 3, 2013 at 12:56PM
RosemaryR
I'd paint bright white. If you have to keep appliances for now, then I'd spray paint the fridge, there's paint made specifically for just that purpose. Ditto for the ceiling fan, unscrew the blades and spray paint white. Then you can add colorful accents in colors you love. Best of luck to you in your new home.
    Bookmark   Thanked by beej0426    August 3, 2013 at 1:28PM