How to mix old with new-lighting and hardware
kathlj
Our house in 100 years old this year and to celebrate we are renovating the kitchen and adding a FR. The front of the house has all the original brass hardware--doorknobs, lighting--but the new space will be all chrome or polished nickel--faucets, chandelier, island pendants. I'm afraid the 2 spaces won't feel unified. Any recommendations?
Shakúff
We tend to have a good mix of this style here in NY - modern elements with traditional styling. Check houzz for images of "brownstones" or browse through some top NY and Brooklyn designers.

For example, check this idea book: Ideabook: My Houzz: Artful Restoration for a Brooklyn Brownstone

Front Parlor
living room
Serene Bedroom

Post some pics and I'm sure plenty of houzzers will try to help out! When you're ready for lighting check out our fabulous selection of blown and fused glass lighting. :)
November 5, 2013 at 11:40AM   
0825sam
Do you have any doors in the new spaces? You can keep the door hardware unified (the bronze) even if your light fixtures and cabinet hardware are different. Keeping the moldings and trim consistent throughout the house (even if your cabinetry for example is more modern) will help unify. You could also consider bringing some more contemporary elements into the old areas of the house. Not sure if you are due for any new lighting but that is one way. Or you could bring in some chrome or shine from the kitchen with lamps or accessories.
(I am not a pro but we just redid our kitchen and baths in an 1890s home so these are some ways I have tried to marry the old and new parts of the house).
November 5, 2013 at 11:55AM   
dclostboy
Unless you really think about it (and you shouldn't) you won't even notice.:)
November 5, 2013 at 12:41PM   
Need help with exterior colors!
The house itself is a simple country cottage. The...
How to hang artwork???
We have two matching pieces of art but would appreciate...
Choosing A Dining Room Table
I have a 1923 small bungalow. I like mission style....
Need help selecting wall to wall carpet for my living room!
Carpet needs to be replaced! Already 10 years old &...
Need brooklyn interior decorator suggestions
I am looking for an interior decorator to help choose...