PLEASE HELP our new kitchen still needs Backsplash , pulls and paint

jojo9August 3, 2013
Still under construction and need pick backsplash, cabinet pulls and paint. Our cabinets are maple with a cognac stain our granite is harvest cream and our floors are red oak with a 1/2 chestnut and clear stain. Trying to keep it contemporary . Our island is 131 in. So there is a lot of granite! How can I give my room the just right finishing touches?
jojo9
Here is a picture of our floors since they are covered for now.
    Bookmark   August 3, 2013 at 5:10PM
jlyoungb
I would do a paint in a light cream like Benjamin Moore Sea Pearl or Wicker Basket. For hardware I would do a textured brushed nickel like the Schaub pull (and matching knob) below. I think pullsi in 5-6" are a more contemporary look put more updated than the plain Euro bar pulls that have been overdone the last 5-7 years. For backsplash I would add a texture in a solid cream color because you need something to add edge to the smoothness of the granite and the shaker cabinets. But your kitchen is really coming out beautiful with modern clean lines, yet retaining a nice timeliness to it.
3 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by jojo9    August 3, 2013 at 5:47PM
Barbara Krai Interior Design
Love your long island! For a clean contemporary look, keep the design of your backsplash simple. Long narrow glass tiles in a neutral color or a tone on tone combination will be beautiful and understated. Install the tiles horizontally and take them all the way up over the sink and range. Your good under cabinet lighting will make the glass sparkle! Install something different on the backsplash in the bar area - stainless steel long horizontal tiles would look great there! By using interesting materials, you've added a lot of interest without busyness. Perfect for a clean contemporary style!
4 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by jojo9    August 3, 2013 at 5:48PM
jojo9
We have not installed stainless hood yet and plan on placing tile all the way up on either side do you suggest anything different there? also any paint suggestions?
    Bookmark   August 3, 2013 at 5:53PM
Marc Russell Interiors
The granite is wonderful, but there's alot of it, and alot of shine. I would go with a matt finish back splash done in mixed neutral tones that work with the colors in the granite. Good luck!
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by jojo9    August 3, 2013 at 5:57PM
jojo9
I was thinking of going with mixed neutrals as you said with a matte finish how do you think it would look with some glass tiles just as an accent?
    Bookmark   August 3, 2013 at 6:03PM
Marc Russell Interiors
I think it would look great. The long linear tiles are stunning and sophisticated. They come with all natural stone, or mixed with a little glass. Don't really like the mosaics, they come off as too busy.
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by jojo9    August 3, 2013 at 7:00PM
jojo9
Do you have any paint color suggestions or cabinet pulls?
    Bookmark   August 3, 2013 at 7:10PM
jojo9
Are there specific tiles you could suggest or can you share any pictures if you may have them.
    Bookmark   August 4, 2013 at 3:50AM
Design Build Pros
A stone and glass backsplash would look great. Check out "fire and ice" we used on this project
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by jojo9    August 4, 2013 at 4:52AM
lilylaw
Stunning Kitchen and love the long island bench. If you are going for a contemporary look, have you considered a glass splashback? Maybe use one of the lighter colours in your stone.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by jojo9    August 4, 2013 at 5:09AM
sstarr93
Let the lovely design of this kitchen, particularly the center table, be the star. Have a simple, smooth backsplash, perhaps large glass, in a very pale color, or even white.
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by jojo9    August 4, 2013 at 5:13AM
jojo9
I like the style tiles of the fire and ice but probably a different color would go better with our granite. Does everyone feel the long tiles would be best?
    Bookmark   August 4, 2013 at 5:29AM
dclostboy
I agree that you should add some texture with the backsplash...but I was thinking a cream or white beveled subway tile. Clear glass spheres would look great as pulls and play nicely off the pendents. Because the rest of the choices are so neutral, you can do anything with the paint color.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by jojo9    August 4, 2013 at 5:30AM
jojo9
clear glass pulls sound really nice any suggestions where to purchase them?
    Bookmark   August 4, 2013 at 7:02AM
carolins
gorgeous kitchen. Just white, or off-white, I'd say. Simple. To let your beautiful counter top get the attention it deserves. I'm thinking if this would work. With light grout.
Metro Hex Glossy White Porcelain Mosaic Floor and Wall Tile · More Info

SomerTile Posh Penny Round Ash Porcelain Mosaic Tile · More Info
2 Likes    Bookmark   August 4, 2013 at 7:55AM
jojo9
If I go light on the backsplash any suggestions for paint color? With our layout the painted walls are behind the island chairs here is a pic with that view. The room it opens to also is going to be painted if you have any suggestions for that also would be appreciated!
    Bookmark   August 4, 2013 at 8:25AM
carolins
I'd keep the walls light too. A light grey? Like BM Edgecomb Gray perhaps. Or Gray Owl for a cooler shade. Depending on whether it goes with the backsplash, countertop and how it looks on your actual walls.

Edgecomb Gray HC-173 · More Info

Gray Owl OC-52 by Benjamin Moore · More Info

The adjoining room get a lot more natural light, so you could do a darker shade. But that again depends on what goes best with your furniture, rug (?), curtains (?)...
1 Like    Bookmark   August 4, 2013 at 9:45AM
carolins
For pulls... what do you like? Short pulls, longer pulls, knobs or a combination? Square or round? And what feels good in your hands is very important too. Browsing through the kitchen photos with pulls in mind will probably give you a good idea of what you like.

Danville Remodel · More Info

Ridge Home · More Info

Kitchen View · More Info

Woodinville Retreat · More Info

Paton Terrace Kitchen · More Info

Hartung Residence · More Info
1 Like    Bookmark   August 4, 2013 at 10:01AM
jojo9
Thank you I was thinking along those lines for color but just was not sure so im glad to get your suggestions! I like the longer straight pulls I was looking at hickory hardware studio collection in brushed nickel or stainless they are about 6 inches long.
    Bookmark   August 4, 2013 at 10:11AM
jojo9
Here is a picture of it but I'm not absolutely sure if its what I want.
1 Like    Bookmark   August 4, 2013 at 10:24AM
carolins
Ooo, but that is a lovely choice. Would you be able to see it in your kitchen? That would make the choice easier perhaps. I really like it.
6" isn't that long though, I'd call that short pulls ;-) I'd call the Ridge Home (pic above) long pulls.
1 Like    Bookmark   August 4, 2013 at 11:46AM
jojo9
Yes those you pointed out are very long. I did purchase a few of the Euro pulls to try but I was not sure if they were on their way out or should I be looking for something else! I'm very indecisive at this point! Here is what I bought. The one is almost 6 in and the other almost 9 in
2 Likes    Bookmark   August 4, 2013 at 4:37PM
ambermintz
Would this be too blue? I think it would be the nice cool touch, but may be too much blue. Maybe a mix with other neutral color tiles...?
    Bookmark   August 4, 2013 at 5:03PM
ambermintz
or this one. more irridescent, so it might be too much.
1 Like    Bookmark   August 4, 2013 at 5:05PM
jojo9
Thank you they are both nice especially the second one.
    Bookmark   August 4, 2013 at 5:52PM
carolins
The square ones are more sophisticated or 'special' looking than the euro pulls. Although, I have the euro pulls in my kitchen and love them. My kitchen is about 15 years old, still very happy with the look.
I wouldn't be too bothered with what is 'in' at the moment. Fashions change.
carolins's favorites · More Info
    Bookmark   August 5, 2013 at 3:10AM
carolins
Oh, and I love the Solistone Folia blue glass tiles that ambermintz posted. That colour works fantastic with brown and it even seems to have a bit of brown shimmering through? Beautiful.
    Bookmark   Thanked by jojo9    August 5, 2013 at 3:13AM
Idego Interior Design
Texture! Ann Sacks concrete collection
2 Likes    Bookmark   August 5, 2013 at 6:19AM
jojo9
I received the pulls I ordered today and they are much nicer then online so I think I will be going with them, here is 2 pictures. They are much bigger and bulkier then I thought but I really like how they look and feel!! Let me know what you think!
4 Likes    Bookmark   August 5, 2013 at 6:20PM
carolins
They do look quite big and bulky, more than on the website picture, but... if you like how they look and feel... you may have a winner.
They have a sort of art deco feel about them. I like the elegant curve they have. Makes them more elegant and detailed than when they'd be just straight. They look quite classic, but the squareness of them makes them modern too.
But the most important thing is that you like them. If still in doubt though... look further. If not, you can cross pulls off the choices-to-make-list ;-)
    Bookmark   August 6, 2013 at 8:25AM
Unravel Design
You can't go wrong with the matching counter top as the back splash. It's timeless and easy to clean. I wouldn't suggest this if your existing counter top was already busy.

Smart kitchen storage design · More Info
    Bookmark   August 6, 2013 at 12:41PM
jojo9
We decided on this tile with using the glass just as a accent. Now we need to find a paint color.
1 Like    Bookmark   August 11, 2013 at 4:57AM
carolins
? Going only on your pictures and the online colour swatches, but I'm thinking that you need to keep it on the cool side of colour. Nothing too yellow I'd say.
Edgecomb Gray HC-173 · More Info

Stingray 1529 Paint · More Info

Camouflage 2143-40 Paint · More Info

SW7531 Canvas Tan by Sherwin-Williams · More Info
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by jojo9    August 11, 2013 at 5:46AM
carolins
Canvas tan looks a bit too pink now I see it larger. Hmm...? Not sure.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by jojo9    August 11, 2013 at 5:46AM
AliciaTappDesigns Images on Tiles
I cut and pasted a tumbled marble tile mural in your space to show much pop that is.. quite pretty.. also you can add plain botticino tumbled field tiles around the mural in a diamond shape.. The frame is rope in a bronze color

http://www.AliciaTappdesigns.com
Any image on tiles
    Bookmark   August 11, 2013 at 6:00AM
dclostboy
You've got a lot of browns and beiges going in...how about pulling a subtle gray from the granite? P&L winter's gate is soft enough to play to the crystal in the glass accents.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by jojo9    August 11, 2013 at 6:11AM
jojo9
Unfortunately our glass pendants had to be returned because they were defective. But yes I was thinking about a subtle gray also! Thank you!
    Bookmark   August 11, 2013 at 6:48AM
Ann
Beautiful granite! I love your choice of pulls. The granite does have some nice grays in it to work with a subtle gray paint. The only thing I'm questioning is the accent tile. The lightest tiles in it appear to have a bit of a yellow tone which doesn't seem to work with anything else.
    Bookmark   August 11, 2013 at 6:59AM
jojo9
Actually it's more taupe and very neutral but pics are always hard to tell maybe this one is better.
    Bookmark   August 11, 2013 at 7:18AM
Ann
It's nice and I like all the colors in it except that light one, but if it looks good in person, I'm sure you're right.
    Bookmark   August 11, 2013 at 7:27AM
MEC
Get a mosaic backsplash. We are the Supplier of Custom Handmade glass/marble mosaic patterns. MEC guarantees you the best quality and lowest cost. We do custom designs and mixing as well, if you have your own designs just send us for free estimate. We also have other brilliant ideas which we can share with you. See our photos on houzz and please contact us for more information: www.mecartworks.com
    Bookmark   August 14, 2013 at 8:16PM
jojo9
We are almost finished but I have tried a few paint colors and nothing seems to work any ideas?
4 Likes    Bookmark   September 3, 2013 at 12:53PM
carolins
Love the backsplash. Your kitchen is really gorgeous.
Which colours have you tried?
    Bookmark   Thanked by jojo9    September 3, 2013 at 12:56PM
Ann
Nice job. Beautiful kitchen!
    Bookmark   Thanked by jojo9    September 3, 2013 at 3:19PM
jojo9
Colors I have sampled are Sherwin Williams Collonade Gray, Silver Plate and Diverse beige. All were to dark and dull! Silver plate looked the best but still too dark.
    Bookmark   September 3, 2013 at 8:07PM
carolins
SW Reflection perhaps? Definitely lighter and a cool neutral just like Silverplate. Or Sedate Gray?
    Bookmark   September 4, 2013 at 2:04AM
carolins
SW silverplate
SW reflection
SW sedate gray
    Bookmark   September 4, 2013 at 2:08AM
carolins
SW ethereal white
    Bookmark   September 4, 2013 at 2:15AM
jojo9
Well we ended up using Rhinestone which is very close to reflection. It looks good just a little lighter than I wanted. The next level was too dark. So now I just
Need to add some accent pieces and wall art. I also need to choose paint for the attached rooms!
1 Like    Bookmark   September 9, 2013 at 6:28PM
Italian Touch
Get a nice glass mosaic; we can manufacture it for you, check our website: http://www.italiantouchnaples.com.
    Bookmark   September 9, 2013 at 6:44PM
jojo9
Here's a few photos .
2 Likes    Bookmark   September 9, 2013 at 6:57PM
jojo9
1 more
1 Like    Bookmark   September 9, 2013 at 7:01PM
rolam1
How big is this room?
    Bookmark   September 9, 2013 at 7:07PM
jojo9
25ft by 14ft
1 Like    Bookmark   September 9, 2013 at 7:12PM
Italian Touch
A mosaic of the Tree of Life of Gustave Klimt attached on the wall, just the central part, without the people
    Bookmark   September 9, 2013 at 7:18PM
Ed
Hi jojo, Congrats on your kitchen remodel, new pulls, paint, and backsplash! :)
    Bookmark   Thanked by jojo9    September 9, 2013 at 7:34PM
carolins
Looks absolutely wonderful. Nice and light! Yay, glad you found a paint colour that you're happy with. Great choice.
Since the attached rooms get more natural light you can go darker, more saturated in colour. If you like ideas from Houzzers, perhaps it's a good idea to start a new discussion for those rooms. We'd need to see furniture too I'd say.

I'll see if I can find some ideas for the walls in your kitchen. I'm guessing you'd want to keep the look fairly minimalist?
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by jojo9    September 10, 2013 at 2:07AM
carolins
A couple of different ideas for the wall behind the bar, between the openings:
- a collection of plates, colourful & eclectic or black & white designer plates... whatever you like
Eat-in Kitchen · More Info

Brookdale Nook · More Info

- a large framed board painted with chalkboard/blackboard paint, you could even do a couple of coats of magnetic paint under it. Easy for recipes, quick notes, etc... I have a large blackboard in my kitchen and wouldn't want to be without it :-)
Rustic Modern · More Info

Long Island Drive · More Info

- three framed prints/paintings, kitchen related art or not - whatever you like, in a horizontal row or in a vertical row
French Kitchen Art, Le Chef Archival Fine Art by Anek · More Info

Take a Break With Cake, Yellow Print by Tricia O · More Info

- vintage sign(s)
Farmhouse Vintage Farmer's Market Sign by Castle & Cottage · More Info

- one of these long list of 'family rules'
Family Rules Wall Canvas · More Info

- a wall decal
Birds & Cages Decal · More Info

- or just a beautiful painting
Man with Black Dog Reclaimed Wood Wall Art- Large · More Info
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by jojo9    September 10, 2013 at 2:44AM
jojo9
Project: Spacious Maple Kitchen Renovation · See Project
Here is the link showing pictures of our finished kitchen! thanks for all the ideas!
    Bookmark   July 14, 2014 at 6:45AM
carolins
Lovely! It looks glamorous and homely at the same time. Thanks for the update.
    Bookmark   Thanked by jojo9    July 14, 2014 at 7:05AM
mjkjrobinson
The backsplash is where you have fun put color tiles or colored glass tiles, stay away from bla
    Bookmark   January 27, 2015 at 9:06AM
Kevin Strader
Old post.
    Bookmark   January 27, 2015 at 9:21AM
Still in the kitchen! Backsplash help needed.
The granite guys put granite backsplash on my back...
ashik08
Need help for our kitchen
Hi experts, I need an urgent help with selecting the...
Sachin Sachdev
Need a "pull it all together color" for our kitchen.
We have a lot of elements happening in our South facing...
Joann Yurchesyn
Please help choose cabinet hardware for our kitchen renovation
We replaced our appliances,sink and countertops as...
pattismcgee
HELP!!!!! We need your advice on our kitchen remodel.
We're trying to figure out if we should take a risk...
jniebur
Front door...what color!
Hi. I want to paint the inside of my front door. We...
Kate
A Hare-y bedroom
Im about to embark on designing this bedroom. I have...
toatsmcgoats
Help! I want a dreamy, cozy bedroom. Any advice ?
Maybe two chairs at the end of the bed? Love seat?
ginayy
Siding/shutter color options for 1970s orange brick
I'm wondering if there are any better siding/shutter...
abhousey
Window treatments for kitchen slider & windows that meet in corner
We'd like to add some privacy and character to our...
jillmmax