Wood floor or tile for kitchen?
Adam Powell
August 3, 2013 in Design Dilemma
My wife and I are redoing our kitchen and are stuck on whether or not to keep tile in the kitchen or replace it with bamboo flooring. Our kitchen opens to the living and dining rooms and there will be dark bamboo floor in the adjacent rooms. Should we keep the theme going with the same wood floor in the kitchen or go with antique pattern travertine? We love both looks and can't decide. Thoughts from the Houzz community? We appreciate the help as we suffer from analysis paralysis. =)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Dytecture
It's best to keep the same flooring material especially if they are visible from the other rooms.
2 Likes   Thanked by Adam Powell    August 3, 2013 at 6:40PM
Adam Powell
What if there is a long (147in.)bar counter that separates the spaces? Still advise keeping the same flooring throughout?
0 Likes   August 3, 2013 at 6:51PM
Elaine P
What color kitcthen cabinets? if they are wood color, then I'd go for a tile foor, but I wouldn't have the tile flooring too light, because you already have the darker floors in the other areas. If you have white\color cabinets, then go for the wood flooring in the kitchen too.
0 Likes   August 3, 2013 at 7:04PM
Marj
The wood- tile is toohard, not good for standingon for long periods. travertine can be hard to clean.
0 Likes   August 3, 2013 at 7:16PM
Adam Powell
Thanks, Elaine. We were thinking the dark wood floors and light tile floors would be a good contrast of each other and make both pop. Is this a design no-no? The cabinets are currently builder's grade honey oak with light colored ceasarstone counters. We are thinking of refinishing the cabinets a dark espresso color. We're also open to using color on the cabinets, a sage green or blue. I know pics would go a long way in this discussion so I'll work on posting some. Thanks for the help thus far; it is greatly appreciated!
0 Likes   August 3, 2013 at 7:21PM