Love it or hate it
shirleenprescott
August 3, 2013 in Polls
Spent way too much reframing this Audubon print- love it or hate it?
Love it
Hate it
HI -- Well you have to love it if it cost that much , right ?
August 3, 2013 at 9:13PM     
rouxb
Do you really want a bunch of people to tell you they hate something for which you just spent "way too much"? I don't think I would...
August 3, 2013 at 10:48PM     
Rina
I love it. It makes me smile -- in a good way. A proud frame for a proud bird.
August 3, 2013 at 11:00PM     
Ironwood Builders
So, my understanding of the Audubon market is...if that is even a print done in his lifetime it is worth well over $100K, let alone if it is an original. I often spend 3 times as much on a frame as I do on the artwork. Van Gogh's wealthy brother was a framer. Nice frame, good looking bird.
August 3, 2013 at 11:27PM   
2dogssashatess
The framing suits the picture and it makes a statement so well done!
August 3, 2013 at 11:35PM     
shirleenprescott
I have found several pieces of art at our local rescue mission- under $30, simply adding a new mat (kept the old one for effect) has made a huge difference. The Audubon frame was purchased online for quite a savings from the local framer.
August 4, 2013 at 6:03AM   
Depends on what else is happening in the room.
August 4, 2013 at 6:21AM   
joannpb
I spent Wa-a-a-a-y too much on restretching and framing a ship painting I found rolled up in an old dresser in the dump. It turned out to be not worth anything to anyone but me, but it's my treasure, and I love it.

Yours is really striking and if I had it, I'd certainly find the perfect place to hang it. I really like it, but, really, the only person who has to like it is you.
August 4, 2013 at 6:45AM     
Kelly D
Love it. It has character and you did a nice job on the framing.
August 4, 2013 at 6:52AM     
n247080
Obviously you liked the print to begin with or you wouldn't have had it framed. Perhaps the reason you're wobbly on it is that the print framed didn't turn out the way you had pictured it in your mind. This can happen because of the different lighting and surroundings between the frame shop and the room you have it in. Try moving the print to different rooms and areas until you find a place where it really looks good and you like the lighting and surroundings around it. Or, try painting the wall around it a different color to enhance the print better if you think that might make a difference. Or, change the lighting in the room.

On a personal note, I think the framer did a great job of suiting the frame to the print and I love the print in general. Sometimes it's just a matter of letting time go by and adjusting to the look of the print framed vs not framed. Sometimes it takes a little time for things to grow on you.
August 4, 2013 at 6:55AM     
dclostboy
Shouldn't comment on the bird, but the framing suits it perfectly
August 4, 2013 at 8:33AM   
tsudhonimh
I like it. The print is awesome, and the frame sets it off nicely.

I like wide mats with a small reveal of a second mat - they make the art look more important.

ADDING: I've spent more on framing than on the artwork many times, because it's critical to showing off the art to best advantage.
August 4, 2013 at 8:53AM   
I once had a really good framer who didn't charge too much. Was sad to see him switch careers! I love Audubon. Find a focal spot for it and don't worry!
August 4, 2013 at 9:17AM     
fishgal
I think your print is beautiful and the framing is the icing on the cake. My guilty pleasure is framing any images,photos,prints that just are wonderful to me. Your pelican is an amazing bird and should be appreciated as such. I probably always spend more on the framing then the actual picture. The frame should accent the piece not overwhelm it.
August 4, 2013 at 9:31AM     
shirleenprescott
We have several Walter Anderson prints as well. That is the extent of my "collections". I have found myself buying prints I don't like for the frame itself.
August 4, 2013 at 11:35AM   
Terracegallery
Everyone has an opinion on art....only you can decide if you LOVE this piece....I live in Florida near the coast and I'd hang that on my wall. :)
August 4, 2013 at 11:49AM     
shirleenprescott
This was the before.
August 4, 2013 at 1:24PM   
carolins
Compared to the before it was well worth spending the money.
August 4, 2013 at 1:26PM   
pegonia1
I love it.....it's quirky!!!!
August 4, 2013 at 1:28PM   
honeapathsc
If this is indeed an original Princeton Audubon reproduction print it has a value of about $800.00. The Princeton prints were copied from the original and therefore are of a higher value then prints copied from other prints. The size of Princeton reproductions are the same as the original, 26 1/4 by 39 1/4. You can find more information by looking up Princeton Audubon Reproductions.
August 4, 2013 at 2:19PM   
Anita Bloom
I love it. Might buy it too.
August 4, 2013 at 2:34PM   
shirleenprescott
It's a Havell -watermarked- bought it off of Craig's list for $125. Paid more for the new frame. Framed it's 3 1/2 ft by 5. I told my kids not to donate to the local rescue mission when I am gone.
August 4, 2013 at 2:51PM     
shortped
There is a pic of a room on Houzz with this pic that I LOVE!....I actually asked where I could get it! I love it!
August 4, 2013 at 3:01PM   
shortped
Go to photos, then living rooms, then in the search put blue pelican.....gorgeous!
August 4, 2013 at 3:05PM   
Aesthetic Tile Imaging
A high resolution scan of this would reproduce nicely kiln-fired on large format porcelain. The result would be completely waterproof, frost proof, fade proof, and very scratch resistant. Please see my Houzz profile page and in particular the project on large format porcelain

August 4, 2013 at 3:13PM   
medichick66
At first I wasn't impressed- but the before picture sealed it for me. You have improved it X 100
August 5, 2013 at 12:26PM   
Love the restored 1920's sofa, love the 1929 living room - hate the co
Can't figure out what type of table to pull this together....
I love this giant lamp but hate the shade.
I love this giant lamp but hate the shade. I thought...
Past Decor Items You Love to Hate?
Any past decor items or trends that you love to hate?...
Headboard: Love it or hate it?
I found this headboard that I like but I can't seem...
Love my large living room....HATE my fireplace.
I think that there is too much brick background to...
Bathroom in the new house needs help. I love the old subway tiles
This is the bathroom in the house we just bought. I...
what grout color should I use with Dark Emperador (2x2) backsplash
What grout color should I use with Dark Emperador (2x2)...
Pergola covering quandary
We recently installed a pergola. There are no mature...
Help placing pictures!!
I have 3 delightful Norman Rockwell cartoons, all the...
What color should I be?
I found this free Armoire and I am considering painting...