What color to paint the house?
kylag
August 3, 2013 in Polls
I envision a dark blue/gray paint to compliment the gray grout of the pink/orange limestone that wraps the house and chimney; clean white trim and gutters and a fun geranium orange door.
All surrounding homes are muted, "safe", warm tones. I don't want to stand out but I don't want to look like everyone else.
Feedback from friends and family is mixed about my dark color choice but I think it will look good.
Any other paint color suggestions???
Thank you!
HI -- Give it a try , I think it will look stunning ! Your just painting the board and batton , right ?
August 3, 2013 at 9:50PM     
kylag
Thanks lefty! Yes, just painting over the pink paint and removing the fake wooden window shutters.
August 3, 2013 at 9:53PM   
Nancy
sorry kylag, I clicked in the wrong spot and voted for the lighter colour by mistake. I think you should paint the siding the navy colour. It will look fantastic with the stone and white trim.
August 3, 2013 at 10:16PM     
jayapple21
The July 2013 issue of Good Housekeeping had an advertisement for COLORCLIX, an online visualizing tool offered by Olympic Paints that lets you download a photo of your house and then try out colors virtually. Perhaps other paint companies have something similar, but I've tried this site and enjoyed it. I used it to decide on a new color for my front doors. www.olympic.com/colorclix

I think gray tones with white trim is always clean and fresh looking on a house, and a gray/blue is a good choice but I wouldn't go TOO dark. When you remove the shutters, that side of the front will seem darker automatically.
August 3, 2013 at 10:31PM     
jjba
Looking at your home. I instantly thought it should be some shade of grey from slate to charcoal grey. I think the navy will be REALLY dark once you get it up. However I think a blue will be very complementary to the stones on your home. Maybe go one to two shades lighter than Naval.
August 6, 2013 at 12:51PM        Thanked by kylag
I’d try a dark color, and see how you like it. Paint a section to the left of the living room windows.

My suggestion is that the Naval is not the right hue for the stone. I think rather than navy blue it should lean more toward a berry blue. It needs a little more gray/purple in it.

This is BM blackberry wine 2069-20

Watch your trim color. For this blackberry, possibly BM Chantilly lace or White heron or White Dove.
August 6, 2013 at 1:09PM        Thanked by kylag
pcmom1
Glad to hear you are removing the shutters! Don't forget to beef up the window trim to compensate.
August 6, 2013 at 1:22PM   
yoboseiyo
#1! i think that'll look wonderful.
August 6, 2013 at 1:27PM   
I think the first photo you show is dark enough. Going the navy/ purple you are border line eyesore, sorry. Think of your neighbors if they are all muted and then you come along... all in their face, just sayin'
August 6, 2013 at 1:30PM     
pcmom1
Definitely take the time to try out some samples. Paint large enough areas to really get the look of a shade at different times of the day.
August 6, 2013 at 1:43PM   
rjcDESIGN
these colors will look amazing, go for it!
August 6, 2013 at 1:52PM   
Kendall Snider
I think that the Naval will be too dark.
August 6, 2013 at 2:00PM   
Gee, Margo C, I would never suggest something that I thought would be an eyesore. I am surprised at your response. Kylag asked for other suggestions and I thought I would offer mine, as I support the dark choice, just not the hue.

August 6, 2013 at 2:12PM   
NO slam intended judyg, I actually have that blackberry hue on my front porch. I have a soft grey house. I love it but I know I would not want it on my whole house . The photo you show is pretty loud. I have read many of your suggestions to know that you have good taste. But that house pictured above in a neighborhood of muted homes would be an eyesore non the less. No hate intended! Last week I posted a rug and got a *yikes* from someone and 4 people clicked like, I just laughed. It's all just personal taste.
August 6, 2013 at 2:42PM     
PS notice they show that home in night light, can you imagine it in sunlight? Yikes! LOL
August 6, 2013 at 2:43PM     
Yes, I can imagine it in the sunlight. Here it is and I think it looks very nice over the neutral stone. Yikes! LOL

August 6, 2013 at 5:39PM   
OK OK judyg, you win, IF.... you paint your house this color too. ;)
August 6, 2013 at 8:50PM   
The more I think about this I would actually go a charcoal gray.

August 6, 2013 at 9:11PM     
Any ideas on renovating to improve this entrance-way??
Low roof line and so close to the ground....what could...
How many walls should I paint?
I've started painting a guest room in a quilted fashion...
Super small bed room
Super small space. excuse the mess. storage has been...
need help selecting kitchen faucet
I have a constraint in selecting a faucet in that my...