Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cissymac

Need help accessorizing/ organizing an ugly- odd sized built in corner

Cece Mcloughlin
10 years ago
We're temporarily living in a townhouse until we find a new home after selling ours. What was going to be only 3-6 months, is now looks like we may be here as long as a year. In the mean time I'm trying to make this built in corner desk look somewhat decorative & useful instead of a catch all for everything & anything on its way downstairs or for my son (his room is the door right next to it). This desk is the first thing you see when you come up the stairs to the right. I'd like the area to keep my son's school supplies, books, calendar etc. and it's an odd size. Top self is approx 13" deep & 27"wide & bottom "desk" or shelf is approx 24" deep & 44" wide. There's approx 19" from the bottom shelf to the bottom of top shelf. I would like to have a small lamp if possible because the lighting in the upstairs hall is too bright-- but space is limited. I can't paint it as this a rental, but it really is an eyesore! I work from home & I sometimes have clients come here and my office is upstairs-- HELP!

Comments (7)

• Jen Grogg
    10 years ago
    You might try a curtain under the bottom shelf (with tension rod) to give it just a bit more substance and to hide the wires - perhaps a medium toned linen-like fabric to extend the lower shelf down like a full piece of furniture. A family photo would provide a more personal touch without going over the top. I think a small lamp, as you mentioned, would be a nice idea.
  • Cece Mcloughlin
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks Jen Grogg! I like the curtain idea-aside from hiding the cords underneath it creates a storage space as well! But how can I make this a useful corner desk for school/ office supplies or am I asking to much of this small corner desk?
  • Jen Grogg
    10 years ago
    I've seen those plastic drawer units in different sizes, you might find one that would fit underneath but you would lose leg room. However, you might try a wall mount organizer for pens and such to spare desk top space...maybe even use a wall mount light or a clamp on lamp which could be removed when not in use. Hope that helps!
  • Susanne Sibley
    10 years ago
    You might also try putting a round "pouf" ottoman, or any small skirted bench under it- understanding that it wouldn't be used easily. I've seen very small storage square ottomans that might fit.
    Another option could be stacking hat boxes, wicker or whatever, that could add some interest and hide the cords.

I'm not a fan of artificial plants, but it looks like you don't get any daylight there- I'd have loved to see a draping plant on the top shelf.
  • suzie123
    9 years ago
    is there room to work there? if so you need a seat. i love the idea of the frames. so clever. why not gather some great coordinated containers for the top shelf to hold pens, note pads etc. can you add a sconce or a chandelier-might make the space more charing and defined.

or another thought -make it funky and colorful-add containers to the wall in fun colors maybe from the container store to store all your goodies. you can always get a clip on light or two for the top shelf to shine on the bottom shelf. i think they sell them a target.
  • PRO
    Business_Name_Placeholder
    6 years ago

You could give the landlord a shout and ask if you can remove it, but put it back when you leave. Fill holes and sand and paint. Put a picture up on the wall next to the left of door and use a potted plant in a nice pot such as "mother-in-laws tongue." They are real and pretty resilient. They are also a vertical plant which draws the eyes upwards. Optional would be a small accent light over the picture or painting.