Feedback on IKEA Ektorp 3 seater
kristylou
I have been eyeing the Ektorp line for over a year. I'm looking for feedback from people who have it, love it, hate it, etc. I'm not near a store to go sit and feel it in person. I want the good, bad and everything in between. Going for a beachy/cottage look so other than PB Basic (which is completely out of budget) the Ektorp seems a good choice. Thank You!
andymeg
I have one in gray and love it--very comfy, long enough to lie down on, a classic shape that's easy to dress up or down with pillows and throws. I've only had it a year so can't speak to longevity but I've been happy with other Ikea furniture.
August 4, 2013 at 6:27am      Thanked by kristylou
kristylou
Thinking a set of slipcovers in white, gray and linen to be able to completely change the look several times a year.
August 4, 2013 at 6:37am   
edithsmom
We have had our Ektorp sofa for three years and I change two slip covers with the seasons. We find it comfortable, economical, and it will last for many years, if you switch the seat and back cushions often.
August 4, 2013 at 8:28am      Thanked by kristylou
mveasey
I don't own one, but hope Ikea will come up with more "fluffy" seating one day.Their couches look great, are a good price and seat people ok. But if you are looking for that soft, "sink" into your couch feeling, you might be disappointed.
The cushions seem very dense somehow, which might be a good thing...? The new Ikea catalogue just came out and perhaps they changed the fill for the cushions...
Other benefit of their couches though, is the possibility of reordering covers, or Bemz, making more slipcover options for Ikea products. Did you check reviews on the Internet?
Good luck!
August 4, 2013 at 8:37am      Thanked by kristylou
kristylou
We are very hard on couches for whatever reason. I thought about getting the Pottery Barn one but realized if we kill it in a couple years, that's a lot of money. We get get 3-4 IKEA ones for the price of one PB!
August 4, 2013 at 8:41am     
mveasey
The Ektorp couches are very popular. Have you looked at Craigslist? Sometimes you can get one that is less than a year old...
August 4, 2013 at 8:44am      Thanked by kristylou
kristylou
I haven't looked at CL but good suggestion! I've looked up reviews online but it's hard to find the negative and surely there must be some!!
August 4, 2013 at 8:54am     
lessismoore
We have the love seat version. Hand me down from my mom, so it is close to 10 years old and still works. They can look a little rumpled after a decade of use, but that fits a casual style. And ours has had the full dogs/cats/kids/spills et al treatment. I have two covers, change them every couple of months. The only "negatory" I can find is that the covers, after washing, need ironing at the bottom. Also, not all covers are "in stock" each year, so if you find one you love, buy it. Thinking about getting the sofa with a white cover which I could then custom dye. There was another discussion here with a link to a mfg (not ikea) who made gorgeous, perfect fit, custom covers for this line. They showed one in a gray velvet that was scrumptious.
August 4, 2013 at 9:08am        Thanked by kristylou
kristylou
I've heard of steaming the wrinkles after it's been put back on. I hate ironing so I'd prob steam the skirt.
August 4, 2013 at 9:11am     
bugginmary
We've had the sofa and loveseat for about 3 years now. They're comfortable and showing no signs of sagging. The slipcovers can be an ordeal to change and clean. I believe my sil got the sofa in 1998, used it for about 5 years before upgrading and giving it to her sister, who still has it.
August 4, 2013 at 9:41am      Thanked by kristylou
edithsmom
Should have mentioned that when I change my covers, I do steam the skirts. Also, the company who makes Ikea covers is Bemz and they have many choices, but more expensive than the stock Ikeas. Often, on eBay and Craigslist, people sell extra covers.
August 4, 2013 at 9:44am        Thanked by kristylou
andymeg
I think the Ektorps are very sink-into comfortable--I have a char and ottoman in addition to the sofa. And thanks for the info on the Bemz replacement covers--the choices from Ikea are pretty limited.
August 4, 2013 at 4:03pm      Thanked by kristylou
LOFTwall Divider Solutions
For value(low price) and design its hard to beat IKEA, and the last few years the quality on their sofas has become better(using hardwood construction, better springs etc)...I've owned 2 IKEA sofas over a 10yr period and both didn't last 3 years in my family with 3 kids. So about 4 years ago I "invested" in a sofa that was 4X the IKEA stuff(bo concept) and its as solid and comfortable as the day we got it( and it will last another 5 years easy). If you got a family of kids, my experience share is that they are going to stress it a lot more than just you or a couple of adults will.
August 4, 2013 at 4:14pm      Thanked by kristylou
kristylou
I figure for the price, even if we get 3 years out of it, I can't beat it. I'll likely give it a go along with the chair and ottoman. I get bored so easy and having a couple covers will make me want to keep it as long as possible; something my husband will appreciate!
August 4, 2013 at 6:17pm     
abyczkowski
I inherited this sofa used and it was surprisingly still in good shape-- good support but still soft enough to be comfortable. The cushions still looked good, not flat or misshaped from years of use. The best part in my opinion is that the sofa will last and you can replace the cover as it wears or as you change your decor. Definitely a good buy for the price!
August 4, 2013 at 6:47pm        Thanked by kristylou
Help with decorating
My living room still seems to be missing something....
Need suggestions of how to make piano and TV work
My home in a 1917 Craftsman and has great details and...
Please help completing my great room
It is a very bare space at the moment as I have focused...
Golden Vent Hood and Green Walls
We want to know what you think about the golden vent...