Need help with fire surround in coastal bungalow
ksoden
I hate the thin wood with no character. Would eventually like to replace with something like a natural driftwood or something in keeping. For now would like to 'do a job' on it. Thinking some trim to made shelfs appear thicker and maybe painted panelled wood for back of book shelfs. What color paint ? Distressed ? Washed look paint ?
ksoden
P.s. know I need to look at rest of furnishings. Have new lamp shade and light fitting......and bigger pic / recycled mirror for over mantle
August 4, 2013 at 8:22AM   
Phoebe Siter
You could build up a chimney box out of drywall so it looks like it goes all the way up, a small version of the picture below. I think you don't need much more than that to give it some weight in the room.
August 4, 2013 at 8:25AM   
How about reclaimed wood for the wall.

August 4, 2013 at 8:27AM   
Scott Design, Inc.
Consider building another thicker mantle on top of the existing and paint all wood a coordinating color with the stone and grout.
August 4, 2013 at 8:39AM   
ltownsley
My wife and I moved into a home several years ago. The fire place was constructed of faux stone and had a very thin wood mantle sitting on top of 3 corbels. The look was disproportionate. We painted out the faux stone the same color as the walls and cutback and beefed up the mantle with a skirt and moldings. The look was a nice combination of traditional and rustic.
August 4, 2013 at 9:00AM   
ltownsley
Here's a picture. Stone was originally whites and greys with concrete gray grout lines. I had to spray it because the stone tore the brush up. As I stated above, the mantle was a single board. I cut back the corbels underneath and wrapped the simple skirt around.
August 4, 2013 at 9:16AM     
mcbriec
I think the room could be much more elegant if you dry walled the end of the pony wall up to the ceiling which would give you a more centered fireplace which could then turn into a focal point with a proper mantel. Right now the set-up looks sort of busy and odd, especially with all the books in the built-in. If you chose to do that I would get rid of the bookcase.

If you want to keep the current set up, beefing up the wood on the mantel as Scott Design suggested would be an inexpensive way to improve its appearance. I would also remove the books and put in a few art objects in the bookcase.
August 4, 2013 at 9:17AM   
ksoden
Thank you all for your prompt and really helpful suggestions which I will digest. I think my quick fix will be to build up the mantel, will need to decide on paint finish. Idea to get rid of books a good one to regain some balance. Oh to have the funds to do a major makeover !
August 4, 2013 at 10:24AM   
Instead of totally getting rid of the bookcase, why not build the concept on over to the corner, not for books but for TV installation? Looks like connections must be right in that area. Paint the back of the wood niche in a darker color so it doesn't pop out so much and fill it with wood for a proper "look."
August 4, 2013 at 10:30AM   
Need kitchen help. I like this coastal flooring.
Do you know the cost per sq. ft. For this flooring?...
Need help with color palate for coastal cottage
I'm in the process of building a 3 bedroom coastal...
need help with re-decorating in a "coastal" theme.
Is there a way to incorporate my heavy brown leather...
Need help with coastal family room wall decor
How do I deal with the empty space around this large...
Need help designing a 2700 sq ft single level coastal property.
The property is sea facing and is located in South...
Need color advice for kitchen cabinets and countertop
We have terra cotta tile floors and bright white tile...
Which Kitchen Pendant?
I have a choice of these three kitchen pendants. Can...
ceiling fan or overhead light in spare bedrooms?
We have 3 spare bedrooms and are wondering if we should...
Help with organising this space needed!
Hey everyone, this is my first post on here, a relative...