Daughter starting middle school and just moved. Girl needs a cute room
jdemahy
My daughter is starting middle school and we just moved. Want to give her a cute room. She used to share with her two younger sisters so she picked out these colors. Thinking of painting her furniture. Need to paint walls and give her some artwork. She loves photography, dance and singing.
abbyjean
Yay for her for getting her own room and love the colors! Wonder if the bed could go on the wall to the right of the bed now and free that window totally. Put that lamp on the night stand then, which could go to the left of the bed. Hang the fun mirror over the dresser where the lamp was. Then you could find some fun curtain panels to add easier and maybe a bench to put under the window...or find her a desk that will face out the window. Find some fun dance shoes to hang from the shoe strings on the small wall. Frame some pics she has taken in frames you paint to match the room colors. Get big posters of her favorite singers to frame and hang.
August 4, 2013 at 8:23PM     
regina5697
I agree with abbyjean regarding the bed arrangement. It looms a but awkward to have the nightstand obstruct the window. You'll definitely need curtain panels and something for privacy on the window.
Also, is it possible to switch the door hinges to the other side so the door opens the other way? The current set up seems to take away usable space ...???? I don't know without seeing a photo of the whole room.
August 4, 2013 at 11:44PM     
regina5697
...looks a bit...
August 4, 2013 at 11:45PM     
chemayne
Love the fresh teal and green hits in her room! Agree with Abbyjean that the bed should be repositioned.
She is also going to need a desk to study on and probably a beanbag for additional seating.
I thought you might find these inspiring
Pretty Tween Bedroom
Arcadia 5
Teen Room
girls bedroom design ideas
August 5, 2013 at 12:13AM     
maxdc
Paint walls a blue - like Tiffany's blue (BM has a good one) and maybe wall decals?
August 5, 2013 at 4:31AM     
jdemahy
Thank you so much for the fantastic ideas! Unfortunately can't change the hinges the hallway outside isn't big enough. She usually keeps the one door closed 24/7 so it's pretty much a wall. If I move the bed down to the other side where would I put a desk. We have one in storage that I'll need to paint as it is from a thrift store. My whole house has these neutral walls so desperate to paint them just not sure what color. Want it fun but not too bold that it will bug and look so off from the rest of house does that make sense?
August 5, 2013 at 6:34AM   
Move her bed to center on wall going out towards closets. Put night stand on window side. Paint front of drawers only a turquoise. Add brush nickel long pulls on all drawers. Leave bed white, new bedding a comforter with her colors in it. Use sham that comes with it buy 2 more pillows and get solid lime green shames. Her paper light hang over dresser. On nite stand get a small lamp in turquoise base and white shade. Art something tall and 24" wide in a white frame. Paint her walls a pale aqua. Window covers a stripe roman shade in her colors. If not in budget, go white woven fabric panels on each end of window. Under then hang a white bamboo shade. Home Depot or lowes sells them. Put a stainless rod up extend rod 5" pass window. and put silver rings on panels for modern look. Put rug half ways under foot of her bed. Do I see a guitar in corner? If so place right next to her bed. They have stands to put them on. On top of dresser get her bejeweled frames in white in different sizes. YJMax, for her to place pictures she has taken or friends. Put nothing on walls by windows. On wall on side of dresser, put up a towel rack kind with hooks in stainless small use it for her soon to be collection of jewelry . It makes good wall art too.
August 5, 2013 at 6:57AM     
Just saw lamp on dresser put that next to bed.
August 5, 2013 at 6:58AM   
Get her white sheets, high thread count over 600. She has enough bed pillows just new shames. Love her decor pillows. Good job. The reason I want paper light over dresser I hate cords or wires showing. Hang low over dresser. Could take panels on window to the ceiling. Measure it looks 94"
August 5, 2013 at 7:01AM     
Bedrooms can be painted different from rest of house. Just a subdued aqua. It's restful. Bedding will change the whole rm. the room is small don't think a desk will fit. Don't want to clutter it.
August 5, 2013 at 7:05AM     
chemayne
Makes sense reining in colour on the walls to stay true to your overall neutral walls. Go bolder with bedding, pillows and curtains!

I saw this clever idea of housing a study nook within the closet. I noticed you have a closet with mirror sliding doors. Can half of its contents be re-purposed for this concept you think?
Painted/Updated Bedroom
Boys Closet Study Space
Instant Interiors
bonbonliving.com

BTW, if you re-purpose the desk in storage, here's another houzzer's tips on doing it up. http://www.houzz.com/discussions/592016/Newly-distressed-table-from--10-garage-sale
August 5, 2013 at 7:05AM     
abbyjean
I can see the desk right in front of the window.....love that you already have one. It will just mean she will be in her room even more, but that happens, huh?
August 5, 2013 at 7:08AM     
a2themanda
It's looking great! I love the idea of repositioning bed and putting a desk in the room. The green rug could be used under desk to separate space.
August 5, 2013 at 7:17AM     
linlac
I would keep the bed in the corner as is. I know my daughter loved her bed against the wall because she felt more secure. I like the idea of keeping the room open and looking straight in to the window. Kids love to flop on the floor and lean against the bed. You sound like your up for DIY projects so how about getting rid of the bed frame and doing an upholstered headboard hung on the wall. You can just do a headboard or wrap around for a day bed look. You don't have to do tufting or anything fancy just plywood batting and stapled fabric. I made my daughter a headboard by attaching a piece of wood to the wall, painting it and putting a border around it. Some really easy inexpensive DIY projects you can do for a custom look. I would use white cube storage below the window with canvas storage in the teal and green. You could put the small white nightstand in the closet to use for accessories. I like the light but agree you should hide the cord. Maybe you could swag it from the corner and use a chain or fabric to cover the cord. Sheer white curtains against the blue would be perfect. You could probably find a set with a design that has the blue and green incorporated. This would only leave room for the dresser or the desk. I put a desk in my daughters room and she never used it. Used the bed, floor or the kitchen table. The closet looks big and I like chemayne's idea of incorporating the desk in there if you need it. I really like the dresser but if you wanted a desk in the corner instead you may be able to use the dresser somewhere else. I would just keep it white and update the hardware. The closet looks big enough to hold all the clothes with some organizational supplies. Like abbyjean's idea of using photos she has taken or you can take some photos of her. If you get the regular 4x6 pictures you could get white mats and frames to make a photo gallery on the wall beside the bed. Sounds like everyone likes the robins egg or aqua paint color for the room. I'll post some pictures below.
August 5, 2013 at 8:52AM     
linlac
Robins egg blue. Possible paint color for furniture.
August 5, 2013 at 8:54AM     
linlac
Bed in corner with headboards. You could get a single row of cube storage to stay below window.
August 5, 2013 at 8:56AM     
Cornering beds, even single ones, with dual headboards for lounging, is a great way to go in a teen room. I'd to this in the corner where the dresser is. Put the dresser between the "foot" of the bed and the window and put the desk in front of the window for great light in the homework area.
Showhouse Bedroom for Teen Girl
Eclectic
August 5, 2013 at 9:06AM     
Xtraordinary by Design
The room looks small, do you have the dimensions?
Well, here are a few ideas I’d try; some may be already mentioned so sorry for the redundancy if that’s the case.
I would leave the bed where it is but maybe switch the head and foot boards (right now it looks like the footboard is taller that the headboard?)

Remove the nightstand altogether. I like the idea of a desk under the window; put the lamp on the desk closest to the bed (that side of the desk will act as a nightstand).

Hang a full wall of curtains on the window wall. I would do sheers in a fun color. Or if you paint the walls a fun color, you can go with sheers in a neutral or complementary color. If she needs more privacy or needs to block out more light, use a roman shade for the window under the sheers.

For artwork, since she loves photography, get her involved and let her take some pics of her choice. Then together you can pick and choose what gets “showcased” in her room. She can even switch things out from time to time. You can also hang her guitar on the wall as “functional” art.

I also think it’d be a good idea to change out the pulls on her dresser. You or she can pick out something that fits her personality. If you leave the furniture white, you’ll have more flexibility.

Last but not least, HAVE FUN with it! You and your daughter can have some great bonding time doing the project together. HAPPY DECORATING!
August 5, 2013 at 9:12AM     
eckybabes
You might consider getting her a twin trundle bed someday. Got one for my daughter, at that age, and she loved it. She was then able to have friends overnight with the poll out mattress. She definitely needs a desk. Under the window would be perfect so she can take a break from studies and daydream sometimes. Maybe a few fun whimsical objects outside the window like in a secret garden. Did that for my grand daughter. Love the turquoise and lime green with blue photos offered above Very happy and fun!
August 5, 2013 at 9:45AM     
On your way. I, also, think the walls should be painted. Notice, also, how the top of this chest has been decorated.

August 5, 2013 at 10:06AM     
leelee
I'd turn the bed so that the foot of the bed is facing the mirrored doors. Then you'll have more room for the nightstand. Hope the bed isn't too long to fit that way.
August 5, 2013 at 12:30PM     
abbyjean
The floor plan drawn is the perfect arrangement!!! The door just has to stay as is. See if the desk should be centered with the window after you bring it in the room. LOVE that there is an outlet there for a lamp on it.
August 5, 2013 at 12:37PM   
Juvenile Hall Design
I hate to pull you back again, but I will. Decoenthusiaste & Linlac have it spot on with the corner bed ideas. I've designed over 1200 kids rooms. Trust me. The sketch you drew is lovely if that room was 4 times the size. Measure the furniture & block it out with painter's tape on the floor. Even then it won't give you the whole effect of the space because you won't have height. But you most likely will see that your door opens straight into the side of the bed. And there will be very little space for a desk with a chair that freely pulls in and out on the other side. Make the corner bed with the padded head and side walls. It makes it SOOOO functional and leaves lots of space for sleepovers, and friends hanging out. Yes, she will need a nightstand, but you could find something smaller or that attaches to the wall so you can control the height under the window. Even a built in bench across the window with cubbies under could work. And a desk is great, yes, but they won't be at it much. Kids shift constantly when doing homework! the bed, the floor, the kitchen...they are fickle; and it's OK because it prevents boredom. Get a lap desk. Get a fold up table that they can use while sitting on the floor...sort of a breakfast tray. Get a small desk that is a simple table, but then get the drawers as a separate piece on wheels so it can be rolled out to their side or completely across the room. Next, use the height of the room. For things she will need often, keep them low or above the desk or under the window. Then put high shelves for the "stuff" You know, the stuffed animals, the puzzles, the board games, the trinkets. They collect a lot! Also, a full length mirror on the back of the door will be enough. Replace those mirrored doors with wood ones covered in cork (at least 1/4 inch thick) then cover that with pretty fabric. This can all be done with spray adhesive or even a glue gun - not hard. You just need a little patience and a few hours. Then she can cover that whole closet with her own "art," Posters, pictures of friends, calendars, awards.etc. You can get lots of other ideas on my site's gallery if you like. www.juvenilehalldesign.com Oh, last word of advice, INVOLVE HER! She will have opinions of her own. Trust me. My toughest clients are the parents of middle school girls. It's a little bit of tug-of-war to make everyone happy.
August 5, 2013 at 8:29PM     
Sustainable Dwellings
The furniture is great! Shabby Chic is fun and can be so cute for a young girl...(or, an old girl)... Get a cute comforter set and some curtains or drapes to dress it up... Let her help choose.
August 6, 2013 at 8:27AM     
skmom
My daughters are 14 and 15 and they just got their own rooms last year when we moved. Their birthdays are just 2 weeks apart and their birthday gifts last year were a budget for decorating their rooms. (No gifts to open, just a budget and some shopping trips) Oldest daughter likes warm colors so her walls are bright green and her bedding is hot pink. Other daughter likes cool colors so her walls are turquoise, so is her bedding, but she has a lot of purple and green in the room too. As far as artwork on the walls.... Part of their gifts were paints and blank canvases. They also got wooden letters to spell their names.... They got to paint everything to their hearts content. The effect is really neat and they had a lot of fun with it. Oldest daughter was less sure of her painting skills, so she did some stencilng on her canvas. Other dd LOVES to paint and draw so she bought more canvases. They each painted their letters with fun designs.
Since your daughter enjoys photography she should hang some of her photographs!
August 6, 2013 at 9:26AM     
yoboseiyo
i'd paint the walls a clean white, actually. then use vinyl clings to add punches of color in the ones she chose.
that way, it's easy to change out the colors when she wants to change her decor. if you want some that are patterned and can't find any pattern she likes, look at fabric.
you can paint a mix of cornstarch and water on the wall, put the fabric on, then cornstarch mix over top. it's like removable mod podge. to get it off the wall, use a damp sponge to wet it down, and it'll peel right off. then just wash the wall.
August 6, 2013 at 9:31AM   
skmom
Oh, and I also have neutral colors in my living areas... I also did in my last home, but the kids' rooms are always painted with fun colors. I just make sure the fun colors don't look awful with my neutral walls. They always pop, but they don't clash. ;)
August 6, 2013 at 9:32AM   
laurienordin
Google Patricia Halpin Interiors. Look at her portfolio. She has done some neat things with girls' rooms. Have fun!
August 6, 2013 at 12:23PM   
elsie42day
How about using a buttercup yellow paint on the walls, I would not paint the furniture. Install a window treatment that picks up the blues/greens from the accessories(rug, lamps, pillows). If you are online check out Fulcrum(fulcrumgallery.com) under dance artwork(there are many combinations she could choose). I would suggest a making a cupola to hide the light cord; center and lower the mirror(?), go to(engineeryourspace.com with diy video on youtube. Use fabric(some yards of plaid or solid ) overlap two pieces from the crown molding to the ceiling lamp; it creates a nice focal point when you enter the room.
August 6, 2013 at 1:55PM   
Hummingbird Designs
Here are a few ideas .... Just use the colour pallet she is fond of :)
August 6, 2013 at 4:08PM     
Just revived my Pier One catalog. Had all the colors in everything, your daughter could use in her room, with her colors.
August 6, 2013 at 4:31PM   
Anita Roll Murals
Here are a few more rooms to pull ideas from. Good luck with your daughters room!
August 6, 2013 at 9:02PM     
jdemahy
Thank you everyone. So much to think about. Anita I love that pick on the right!
August 6, 2013 at 9:07PM     
Anita Roll Murals
Be sure to post some progress pics!
August 6, 2013 at 9:49PM   
Noel Saludo
this one is very nice for Mhae and for Caycay when she grew up!
August 6, 2013 at 10:04PM   
jacquelinemk6
Mine are in middle school too and did same thing. One went with red and gray, the other aqua and gray..lol Here are some pics for ideas.
August 6, 2013 at 11:09PM     
jacquelinemk6
A few more..
August 6, 2013 at 11:11PM     
kerryreid
At that age it would be good for her to pick out her colors (maybe within parental parameters!) so she'll feel ownership and feel good about it. It you are willing, you could paint one wall with chalkboard paint (so many options of colors now!) or the paint that makes dry-erase whiteboards. Then she coiled hang her own photography, and she could draw or write - or have her new friends do it. Then the rest of the room stays nice while she gets to play and change one wall as much as she wants.
August 7, 2013 at 5:11AM     
Lisa
Hi there - I've sold many Starbursts for decorating a young girl's room. I'm a metal artist and I've included some photos for thought. I have many more Starburst designs as well. I'm happy to work with her and you to create something she'll love that's specific for her space in exactly the colors she wants. You can find me here in my Etsy shop: www.inspiring4u2.etsy.com Thank you-Lisa
August 7, 2013 at 5:42AM     
Deb Mac
Great comments. I would also move the bed and if there is enough room, build a small bench under the window with colorful cushion or toss pillows.
August 7, 2013 at 6:13AM   
Deb Mac
In addition to the window seat/bench .... maybe extend it to the wall behind the bed with a bookcase. This will add lots of storage and allow your daughter to display her favorite things. For a lamp, add one or two on the wall beside the bed.
August 7, 2013 at 6:15AM   
Pam Scully Butts
Could you put the chest in the closet and make room for a small desk?
August 7, 2013 at 6:22AM     
litehearted
I think the room looks beautiful. Leave furniture white but update the hardware to something fun and/or more modern. To improve the scale of the small mirror, add more of them to create a grouping. Add curtains to the window {modern, pretty and with a punch of colour}. Paint the thrift shop desk any colour your daughter likes. Add a framed cork board on the walls so your daughter can pin up whatever pictures she likes. You can paint the cork to match the desk. Have some photography memorabilia grouped on some shelves, maybe? A comfy padded desk chair that swivels and she can sit on with her legs crossed. :)
August 7, 2013 at 6:34AM     
jillybeansisme
Anna's Linen's has some great curtain panels for not much money. Another thing you can do is add ribbons to otherwise plain curtains/drapes. Ikea has some amazingly inexpensive but decent storage solutions. Another thought would be to get bed risers (Walmart and Bed, Bath & Beyond have them) to raise up her bed and then put storage under it. A longer bedskirt can easily be made to cover it.
August 7, 2013 at 7:25AM   
Infinity Wall Art
Why not apply a lovely wall sticker to brighten up those walls? A lovely floral design would absolutely brighten up her room!
Visit us to see some more designs to your liking: http://www.infinitywallart.com/
August 7, 2013 at 7:40AM   
dinarotolo
Let her pick out the wall color. We moved right before middle school and my daughter chose the brightest pink. So we went with it, contrasted with the rest of the house sure but it was all hers. When else are you going to do that and when else does she most need a sense of herself. Also note her room is literally 10 by 10. Also important a comfy chair for new friends to flop on, and well thought out storage (for your sanity), she has a tiny closet so we added a second rail, rolling under bed storage and a ladder shelf. We have all that plus a twin bed and dresser and leaning mirror. She's now starting highschool and this time around chose sweet slumber the calmest loveliest shade... But every so often I see the old pink paint can and smile.
August 7, 2013 at 8:01AM     
hollywaterfall
Lots of good ideas so far. Kohls.com has some bedding ideas. I like the Victoria Classics Isadora. Let her have fun with it. I like the bed in the corner and maybe swagging a lamp above either corner of that wall. Maybe the dresser can be removed or rearranged to fit in the closet and the desk can go behind the door. With the mirror closets you can bring in some silver accents or another color to complement the turquoise and green. I wouldn't get rid of the mirrors as they are supposed to make the room feel bigger. Make sure the window treatments are able to still let a lot of light in. White shutters are what we used in my daughters room. She can open them when appropriate and close them when not. You could even paint them I suppose or hang curtains in front of them for some color. A bench in front of the window with storage and seating would be good. Teens love bean bag chairs so that would also be a place for color/pattern. Maybe a zebra stripe if she likes that. I see purple, hot pink, or black as a good complementary color. Enjoy.
August 7, 2013 at 8:05AM   
lfurrier
Having two daughters who have transitioned their rooms from "little girl" to teen - here are a few recommendations. 1) white corded twinkle lights and clear big thumb tacks can change the mood of an area of the room in a moment 2) buy bulletin boards and chalkboards at TJMaxx/Homegoods, then personalize with spray paint, special tacks, neon pen chalk, fabric additions to the cork part. 3) white, basic cube size storage bins are also great transition items. you can stack them for storage and put decorative items on top, store mementos on high-up closet shelve, or push them under bed for extra storage. Good luck and have fun!
August 7, 2013 at 9:13AM     
Eleanor Bennett
Great ideas above, In addition, study your daughters behavior for homework & socializing, if she prefers to lay on her floor doing homework, don't waste your money on a desk she likely will not use and will take up precious floor space. Also, creating a cool sitting area (think multi use) with fold up chairs, bean bags or storage cubes with cushioned lid to encourage having new friends over (better that they come to your house to keep an eye on everyone). Love, love, love HomeGoods for this type of project but also consider resale shops in your area that sell home goods, you may find some great items.
August 7, 2013 at 9:41AM     
onthecoast1
You've received so many great ideas! Assuming you don't have a quiet office somewhere in your home for homework, then a desk is a necessity -- it will need to be deep enough to build dioramas on and wide enough to hold a laptop and several open books. One right in front of that beautiful window would be awesome for her. Ornate dining room tables make wonderful desks.....check Craigslist. Keep in mind that your middle schooler will be very hard on her furniture -- maybe save the expensive desk and bedroom set for a high school graduation gift.
August 7, 2013 at 11:39AM   
Uppercase Living Ind. Demonstrator Jean Danieu
First go shopping, in store or online, with your daughter to find a few accessories (artwork, decals, comforter, curtains/shades) then pick a wall color. I included a few ideas below. I like the cabinets/shelves around the bed as they are great for storage; adding elements that would be more apporpriate for a teen. Using decals is also a great option as they are not costly and can be easily removed as your child grows. For more decal ideas: http://jeand.uppercaseliving.net
August 7, 2013 at 11:43AM     
onthecoast1
Another thought about seating for her friends: If you got rid of the dresser and put it in the closet, you might have space for a daybed on that wall that would provide seating in the daytime but give her a place to sleep at night. A narrow shelf on the wall could serve as the nightstand and place for an alarm clock.
August 7, 2013 at 11:46AM   
nessa_sita
Modge podge the dressers with big poster size theme, silver leaf tops... Definitely need an accent color wall, fun but elegant curtains, hang round colorful Chinese lamps from ceiling
August 7, 2013 at 12:03PM   
bygeorgi
I found as my daughter grew up storage and a place to do home work and study was so important. You can add a really cute lamp and big pattern curtains, also maybe more of the paper lanterns in a cluster for lighting would be fun. Would be cute to have a wall with large scale horizontal stripes or over scale chevron and simple white frames so that she could change out her photography.
August 7, 2013 at 12:28PM      Thanked by jdemahy
dlanier1
I agree with all of the previous posts that the bed should be moved. If you position the bed so that the foot is facing the mirrored closest door the room will appear larger. I also feel that she will require a small desk and chair for her studies. If you place the desk directly in front of her window and the tall dresser where the bed is now, to the right of the window, you will have enough room to open the bedroom door all the way. Position the nightstand to the right of the new bed location and you’re done. As far as paint and wall décor, I think you’re off to a good start- the green and turquoise combination is great and will pair well with just about any wall color you chose. What I think her room is lacking is pattern. Try a patterned drape and throw pillows, and then pull one of the less obvious colors from that patterned fabric as a wall color. For wall décor, get her started on a vision board; take a bulletin board and hang it above her bed. She can decorate/change it as much as she pleases. I personally wouldn’t paint her furniture- hope this helps.
August 7, 2013 at 12:37PM   
sellaginella
A small bedroom idea on how to manage space.
August 8, 2013 at 2:15AM     
annalisawatson
I have found some lovely inspiration and super items for kids' bedrooms here: http://www.archiexpo.com/cat/kids-furniture-BC.html Best of luck with your project, and hope this link helps you!
August 8, 2013 at 3:03AM     
mimisbabies
I love the colors she has picked out! A lot of fun ideas have been shared but I REALLY love the idea photo that uppercase living sent in with the bed in center of built-in shelving. It will act as a daybed that way. If you can manage to have the shelving done you could put the chest of drawers in the closet (looks like a decent sized closet), go the entire length of the bed wall with built in shelving, incorporate a desk on one end and maybe drawers or baskets in cubbies on the other end. You could put a couple of bean bag chairs or big floor pillows under the window. Just for fun paint the inside of the closet one of her chosen colors and then paint the chest as well. Maybe paint the closet green and the chest turquoise with drawers in different colors. Or even leave the chest white but use turquoise pulls. It will be a very functional, fun, custom room that will seem larger than it is I think. I LOVE decorating girls rooms!

OH! Maybe even a smallish oval shaped table (like a coffee table would be) in middle of the cute rug in front of the sofa bed.
August 9, 2013 at 7:38AM     
hollywaterfall
I found an ottoman here on houzz you might like.
August 9, 2013 at 8:08AM   
imk1
IMK Color Consulting:
What about lofting the bed? The ceiling over the bed could get art work of a nigttime sky. Under the bed could be her desk or a built in dresser. It would open up the rest of the room for a desk or play area.
August 10, 2013 at 8:39AM   
Nancy Hehmann
I agree with whomever said involve the girls!

Just a brief idea and that is usually young people that age want posters, school banners and pictures. Go to Etsy.com and type in bulletin boards and a lot of nice ones pop up or you could just buy a nice frame at Michaels and do it yourself. You can also go to a teacher supply store and get some of that sticky putty like stuff that won't leave marks on the wall.
August 10, 2013 at 8:52AM   
jdemahy
So I just tried moving the bed and here is a picture. The room is so small it really takes up the whole room.
August 10, 2013 at 10:29AM   
Much better. Add panels to windows. Do not like paper light over bed should hang over dresser. Then dresser lamp next to bed on nite stand. Some art over bed does sunburst in color were fun.
August 10, 2013 at 1:32PM      Thanked by jdemahy
jdemahy
Travisinteriors it really leaves no room in the bedroom. I will take other pics to show.
August 10, 2013 at 2:19PM   
Hanza Turgul Fine Art Prints
I have a question to the little lady:) Does she love cats? http://hanza-turgul.artistwebsites.com/featured/1-jungle-cat-hanza-turgul.html
Please check out my whole portfolio,maybe you can find some
artwork,she may like! http://hanza-turgul.artistwebsites.com/art/all/all/all
August 10, 2013 at 2:21PM   
leelee
Try turning the headboard so that it forms a triangle with the corner of the room...is that better as far as leaving the room more open? Now pull the headboard out about 8 or 10 inches away from the corner so you'll have more space for the bedside table. How's that?

Can you give us a look, please?
August 10, 2013 at 3:05PM   
sellaginella
Decorating a girl’s bedroom, opens up problems, especially if the girl in question is a teenager. If you’re the parent of a teen girl, then the first thing you should do is discuss her ideas. Although it’s your house, it is her bedroom after all, and she still needs to feel comfortable in what is essentially her haven. A teen girl’s bedroom is a very personal sanctuary where her dreams and ambitions take shape. It’s where a girl can express herself, explore her feelings, and develop her own personal style. For those of you who are looking for a teen bedroom here are some ideas for small spaces.(text and pictures taken off 2 different websites)Stress is on space saving ideas;.colors can be changed according to wishes. Last one if friend wants to come over to study and stay overnight too......
August 10, 2013 at 10:36PM     
Angela Lee
What you shouldn't do is turn the bed into the room; its small enough as it is. I suggest just shifting the location of the bed more in the center or the wall its on (the one without the windows). And set it up kind of like daybed style. I also notice that there is a trundle bed underneath.. that will/should still leave space for that. Then either switch the night stand and the dresser so the smaller/less utilized piece is behind the door and the dresser which I'm assuming shes getting clothes out of every morning to the other side where she wont be blocked by either the bed or the open door. I agree with everyone on a desk under the window. (don't worry about it blocking it or anything, you'd be surprised how little of an effect that really has on the bigger picture). Wall color? i would stick with something neutral not like a sandy taupe color, but definitely not something she'll regret or want to change once shes older. Maybe something like a light grey with blue undertones to compliment the teals and greens. Add solid or vertically striped panels on the windows all the up to the ceiling. You could even mimic that behind the "daybed" and bring them up to the ceiling again justifying the bed on the wall the way a headboard would. Accessories should be unique pieces that she can grow with and wont be kitschy in a few years. Mirrors and lots of light also brighten up small spaces! :) good luck!
August 11, 2013 at 1:10AM        Thanked by jdemahy
Nancy Hehmann
Have you thought of getting a day bed with a pop up. They can be placed along the wall . With large cushions (floor style) it almost becomes a couch look. with the pop up underneath she can use it for sleep overs. My son liked the one he had growing up so much, he made one just like it for his son. He. Builds furniture as needed ( also bridges though )
August 11, 2013 at 7:54AM        Thanked by jdemahy
jdemahy
So I have been traveling for work and my daughter had been in Louisiana with her grandma for ten days! Way too long for this mom. Me and her two younger sisters got some paint samples yesterday. I want to go get one more from a post off a pic but they didn't have it at my osh. I decided to put the bed against the other wall that most of you suggested. I didn't like it floating in the room. It cut the room in half. I am going to take the rails off and build a daubed of sorts in the corner. Someone posted a pic that was really cute. I will show pics soon.
August 11, 2013 at 8:45AM   
jdemahy
Here is the bed moved in the other corner
August 11, 2013 at 10:48AM     
jdemahy
More pics
August 11, 2013 at 10:50AM     
jdemahy
Travisinteriors I love your comments. I know you really thought the bed should be in middle but what about now? I am struggling with paint swatches, carpet placement and curtains. Suggestions???
August 11, 2013 at 10:57AM     
hollywaterfall
That's a good start. I would find a very like minty green or a grayish blue if you are into the blues and greens. Otherwise I would go to a whole other color like a purple/yellow or pink. I would also turn the rug so it is just under the bed and extends into the room towards the closet. Do you have a desk? Move it under the window and then take another pic for us please.
August 12, 2013 at 5:55AM   
Genevieve
Great choices ,goods ideas the room looks great
http://www.pbteen.com/products/wire-word-shelf/?pkey=cwall-decor&

these chairs are fun and a conversation piece
http://www.pbteen.com/products/exercise-ball-chair/?cm_src=AutoRel
August 12, 2013 at 6:03AM   
hollywaterfall
Cute things Genevieve!
August 12, 2013 at 6:04AM   
Home Design Network
Looks like the best choices would be a loft bed that maximizes the height of the room without using to much floor space. Here a few idea's from Ashley Hawaii https://www.box.com/shared/static/yt08x58azla25itidlju.pdf
August 12, 2013 at 6:24AM   
Home Design Network
more choices
August 12, 2013 at 6:33AM      Thanked by jdemahy
fuzinav
I like the bed in the corner where you've tried it. Flip it around tho so the taller end is at the head , the lower end at the foot will open your remaining space a bit. The color of her large solid pillow would be nice on the walls. A tall bookcase, instead of the smaller one could fit in the same space. Will the desk you have fit under the window? If not, a slim parsons table/desk might work; look at Ikea and West Elm. If keeping the small bookcase try the turquoise framed mirror over it. Where did you put the dresser?
August 13, 2013 at 5:52AM      Thanked by jdemahy
fuzinav
Is there room for a cubby filled bench at the foot of her bed? If you decide a desk just won't fit, a bench under the window to act as storage as well as a window seat would be shallower than a desk.
August 13, 2013 at 5:56AM   
jdemahy
@fuzinav I put the dresser in the closet
August 17, 2013 at 12:51PM     
fuzinav
Good idea! She'll still have the storage, will gain floor space.
August 17, 2013 at 1:09PM   
Angela Lee
Any more updates on this space!? I've been following the feed and am anxious to see how its turning out!
August 17, 2013 at 4:09PM     
peggysue2u2
Take one or more of her photographs and have it blown up to go on one or more of her walls. You can do them in black & whites then add splashes of color. If you find it hard finding a place to blow them up, go to a car graphics company. They can do graphics for anything.
September 16, 2013 at 12:21AM   
hurst visual solutions
I was reading through and these may have already been suggested but if you could paint the ceiling a light blue that matches some of the room, that gives it a nice soft look as opposed to white ceiling paint. Nothing too dark, but a sky blue... Also, as far as photos go. I did a wall grouping using black and white photos from a fashion magazine, used a pink highlighter to highlight some spots in the photo, spray adhesive and dollar store frames can make some nice pieces. Mix up with photos of her friends or favorite things. Make the grouping on the floor first before you start to nail them up. Paint the frames some fun color that picks up something in the bedding.
September 18, 2013 at 1:48PM   
jdemahy
Wanted to share pics of where I am to date with her room
September 18, 2013 at 2:01PM     
Angela Lee
its looking so cute so far! i still think you should center the bed on the wall and then turn that bookcase on the same wall as the bed. but bravo! on the color and the wall design! are those two different blues in the stripes and the solid? :-/
September 18, 2013 at 2:12PM   
bygeorgi
Love that chevron wall... It's a nice transition from little girls cute to big girl style... hope your daughter likes it.
September 18, 2013 at 2:17PM   
jmarciak
I really like your chevron wall. I am in the process of decorating one of my daughter's bedrooms, and it is fun but a lot of work. We used light tiffany blue for the walls, and I made orange chevron roman shades.
September 18, 2013 at 2:25PM   
September 18, 2013 at 2:49PM   
RosemaryR
It's adorable, she must be psyched!
September 18, 2013 at 3:00PM   
hurst visual solutions
Dollar store frames - different sized frames. Add whatever her favorite things are and make a wall grouping. Paint the frames.. have fun doing it with each other, or if she is making new friends, invite some over for a group project. Sorry my only photos are from the bathroom! I just picture this as an easy project, and she can change the images in the frames or colors of frames as she get's older.
September 18, 2013 at 3:10PM   
hurst visual solutions
I'm sure she must be excited. I had a small bedroom as a teenager and took the furniture my parents gave me and used black light paint and added daisy stickers.. hung beads at my door... They were NOT happy.
September 18, 2013 at 3:12PM   
hollywaterfall
Love the chevron stripes. Keep going and continue to keep us up to date. You're doing great!
September 18, 2013 at 4:39PM   
Charmaine Miles
Hi there...always wise to ask what she likes and then go shopping WITH HER. It is a good bonding activity tied into one as well as learning that some of her ideas may SURPRISE you. I have two daughters and both have totally differeent decor ideas, but if they dont't like something it is not good to force your choice on them. They have to live with it after all. I learnt the same about clothes choices...it took a direct "SAY YES OR NO BECAUSE IF I BUY IT AND IT SITS IN THE CUPBORAD, I WILL GET UPSET", from Mum. It now works like a dream, We love shopping together and I give advice as we look at the different aspects related to things she chooses to examine. She has slowly over time recognised that Mum often knows best as Mum has told her how to shop and what things to look for to minimise mistakes. She has her own tastes though and I can see this emerging and encourage when things are going in the right direction. Hope this helps, but can see you're a mum who wants her to be happy! God bless you. Let us know what the outcome is in the end.
September 18, 2013 at 5:28PM     
Charmaine Miles
The photo at the top is not colours I would choose. I believe teenagers are a bit more into deeper colours - things that liven up and are vibrant, but culture can dictate too as to what a young girl may choose compared to what is deemed acceptable. I love white as a backdrop colour as anything goes with it and especially the darker deeper colours of orange/purple/red/dark pink/dark teal/vibrant blues. A third colour is always necessary to bring balance though. Hope this helps.
September 18, 2013 at 5:35PM   
Beth Chesak
An upholstered headboard would look great. You can get one online from Target or many other places, fairly reasonably. Some are slip-covered and easily changeable or you can get one that has something specific to her colors. I made one with a piece of wood that Home Depot cut to size, then padded it with baffle and picked a fabric which I staple gunned to the frame.
September 18, 2013 at 5:39PM   
jdemahy
Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I have four small kids and work full time so this project is taking forever! I just want to do finish it so bad but between money and time it's hard. I'll keep you posted!!! Thanks again
September 18, 2013 at 5:50PM     
Very cute. What did you do on window?
September 18, 2013 at 6:24PM   
Ck target for accessories and panels for window they have her colors, great price.
September 18, 2013 at 6:26PM   
abbyjean
That wall is amazing! I cannot image all the time and effort put in to THAT! And I am guessing the other kids want rooms that are just as special. Ain't being a mom the best!!!
September 18, 2013 at 6:26PM     
jdemahy
Travisinteriors I found some cute fabric that my mom is going to make cute panels. I hate her shade and want to get something else. Her bed is killing me too I do t like it so that is next. Stay tuned!
September 18, 2013 at 8:35PM   
Charmaine Miles
Hi jdemahy and ..... just a thought but have you got secondhand shops close by. Over here we have what we call op shops (opportunity shops) like Charity shops - Salvation Army and others etc. They often have good stuff at lower prices. You just have to know your prices so you can see if you're getting a bargain or not. A large wall hanging would be lovely. I had some rolls of wallpaper left and joined them with cellotape etc to determine what size the picture the room needed. It gave me measurements that I could work with when I went to look for a picture/wall hanging. If you find a picture but you don't like the frame colour you could always see if the frame can be painted to suit your decor. Craft ideas on utube are helpful when you are looking for the HOW TO DIY projects. Great to see your enthusiasm and progress.
September 18, 2013 at 9:03PM   
hurst visual solutions
I made a fabric covered valance to go over a window using cardboard and just plain fabric or a sheet that goes with the bedding Then put a rod with white sheers under that. Very inexpensive and can be found at Lowe's for $8 a panel. Check and see if you need 72" or more, there are standard sizes. Will let in lots of light and be so much less expensive than drapes. The valance.. . It was cardboard and all I used was tape and upholstery tacks. I also made my own padded headboard. ) It's not hard. A piece of wood cut to the size of the bed width and then as high as you want it to be once attached to the wall. It doesn't have to go to the floor or have legs, but can be attached to the wall with a bracket. You buy the wood 1/2" MDF at Home Depot and they'll cut it. Look up DIY headboards. You can change the fabric when you get sick of it. All it takes is batting, a little foam and a staple gun. Nice to have that to lean against. I tend to spend time on my bed with my laptop and it makes all the difference.
September 19, 2013 at 6:50AM     
Solomoon Art Studio
If I understand correctly, you have empty wall above the bed.
I have four pictures of the same size, they look good for two.
I sell them with a painted sides, but they also look good on a large white frames (in the color of your wood furniture). Perhaps they could be used for two in orange or green-and-blue version.
Details of the review here: https://www.etsy.com/listing/101294441/fog-away-free-shipping-original-impasto?ref=shop_home_active https://www.etsy.com/listing/105446902/foggy-morning-free-shipping-original-oil?ref=shop_home_active https://www.etsy.com/listing/105447052/rivers-birth-free-shipping-original-oil?ref=shop_home_active https://www.etsy.com/listing/105447596/sunrise-free-shipping-original-oil?ref=shop_home_active
September 19, 2013 at 2:02PM     
Charmaine Miles
Many years ago when my daughters were teenagers I installed a double curtain/drapes rail - the back one was a cross over one with a drawer string to the one side and the front was a straight one with no cord but. I made a valance in the same way as the drapes, with a drop of about 40cm and hung this across the front track. I used wide curtain tape at the top that had about three rows of attachment options for the individual hooks that were used tohang both sets of drapes (the front ones as well as the ones on the track at the back. I had floor length drapes for the ones at the back and it looked really good with tie-backs I also made and attacjed with brass style cup hooks especially purchased from drape shop. I will see if I can find a photo and post it for you to see. Surprisingly it was in the same colours of pink, turquoise and white that you have chosen. The valance made in this way is really easy and can be removed for cleaning from time to time. Both my drapes as well as my valance was lined with normal polycotton fabric.
September 19, 2013 at 7:16PM   
Charmaine Miles
Love the two paintings above the bed. You could play around with these to see if you require a deeper colour frame rather than the white ones or even just the positioning of them on the wall could be changed. You may want to place them exactly side by side with each one at the same height from the floor and perhaps just a gap between the two to bring a good visual effect when you stand back to observe. This is something both you and your daughter can do together and see which layout she loves. Giving her options is always something that can bring her own individuality to her room as time goes on and she will develop an eye for what pleases her and makes her feel she has accomplished a room she loves. A wonderful mother/daughter relationship in the blossoming, I can see it! ENJOY.
September 19, 2013 at 7:24PM   
Charmaine Miles
The colour in these have faded a bit. Our carpet was turquoise/teal in colour. The photo that has a brown chest of drawers was our own main bedroom and it shows the type of tie backs that are the same shape and style I made for the girls bedroom drapes. Hope this helps.
September 19, 2013 at 8:09PM   
chey03anne
where did you get the bed and carpet
July 20, 2014 at 3:17AM   
need help for my daughter's "big girl" room!
we are expecting another baby girl this summer, and...
Just me this weekend "YAY" Need help redoing daughters room
This is my daughters old bedroom. I would like to...
Just Moved! Need help in our family room!
My family room needs a makeover. We just moved in...
What would you put on these windows?
I love the open window look in my breakfast room during...
How to cover basement stairs?
We have stairs that lead from an outside door down...
What are the pros and cons of being a interior designer?
Im a freshmen at art institute in Wisconsin and i major...
Bathroom sconces suggestion
The bathroom is new and needs curtains and lighting....
What to put above this bench
This bench is in the entrance way as well as the front...