Any ideas on how to style our shelves in our dining room/kitchen combo
bushrap
Love the colours yellow and turquoise... What should I put on these shelves???
SawHorse Design + Build
The room is very clean and the shelves may add an unnecessary element to the room. What about a piece of art there instead of the shelves?
August 5, 2013 at 6:07AM     
Judy M
For shelf in kitchen, keep useful items you use often.

For dining area, I would use large platters and bowls (you can have a groove routed into the shelf to secure a platter in standing position). Don't overcrowd, usually a display like this needs some playing with to get the right look.
August 5, 2013 at 6:14AM     
SawHorse Design + Build
I like the photo of what @Judy suggested as well if you were going to use them in a functional manner.
August 5, 2013 at 6:16AM     
August 5, 2013 at 6:16AM     
Judy M
August 5, 2013 at 6:18AM   
Rina
My preference would be to remove the dining room shelves, let the wallpaper speak for itself, and hang a large painting/print on the right-side wall that brings in the turquoise and yellow you love, plus green from the curtains. But if you're happy with the shelves, consider painting them the exact cream (?) in the wall paper so that they integrate better. I like Judy M's idea of decorative plates and bowls, mixing colour with neutrals. But I can also see about half of the bottom shelf holding a series of lively framed photographs -- vary the sizes a bit, but all the frames should be similar. Centre them, put three colourful items you love to the right (different heights and shapes), and a trailing pot plant where it catches more light on the left, in a turquoise pot. A real plant. Top shelf? Ummmm ..... I'll be back if my brain co-operates.
August 5, 2013 at 6:47AM     
chemayne
I like the ledges! Just not on the wallpaper wall. Why not investigate moving them to the wall opposite the window and then arranging art and other decorative items on it?
Example

August 5, 2013 at 7:10AM     
carolins
I'd put fronts on the shelves to make them look 'fatter', and place lights behind them. Then I would put a mix of decorative glass and art/frames/canvasses on them.

W Dallas Penthouse
Piedmont Perfect
West Austin Modern
August 5, 2013 at 7:19AM     
carolins
August 5, 2013 at 7:21AM     
Love the chandelier is it from Restoration hardware? I would remove center part of shelves. Add a tall 4 ft 24" wide mirror in center. Add more books. Some colorful vases. Candles. Not sure why chair is by window? I would remove. Add a large palm in window. I would also push open panels on side windows. Remove one on French door. Windows should always show.
August 5, 2013 at 7:26AM     
Add big art piece to wall across from windows. If you want to stay in animal prints. There is a great black and white Zebra print at Z Galleries, that wold be great on that wall. On shelves you have too many small items replace with taller pots with more color like the yellow.
August 5, 2013 at 7:29AM     
If you can lower light to 36" above top of table. It should be your focal pt.
August 5, 2013 at 7:30AM     
Teal pillows on bench. Square pier one and world market have them. I think 3 would work. Also add a center piece like a big teal bowl filled with silver and multi color balls. Pier one has them.
August 5, 2013 at 7:33AM     
Rina
A belated thank you to Chemayne for illustrating what I was talking about with the photographs in 'similar frames'. The thing is, with reference to the shelves, you need to bolder. And no, my brain has not turned up for duty. But then it's getting on for bedtime -- supper time, at least -- where I am. But you have the makings of an enchanting, spirit-lifting room. Good luck.
August 5, 2013 at 9:17AM     
carolins
See... I like the wallpaper backdrop :-)
August 5, 2013 at 9:22AM     
The shelves seem to be the "off" part of your dining room. Both they and the kitchen shelves appear to be too thin and are conveying the impression that they are too flimsy to hold much of anything.
August 5, 2013 at 9:22AM     
bushrap
Wow! Thank you so much everyone for all of the amazing suggestions! I'm not sure if I am able to take down the shelves because I assume there will be some holes behind them. Any suggestions on patching up the holes on the wallpaper? I do have extra wallpaper! If that is not possible I think I will play around with Travis/Rina/Carolins ideas and remove the middle shelves and replace it with large artwork or a large mirror! It will definitely take a bit of time to acquire some great pieces but ill keep posting pics along the way! Thank you so so much!
August 5, 2013 at 7:23PM     
Help with dining room/kitchen combo
Hi! I don't know where to begin in decorating &...
I am in need of idea on how decorate my living room/kitchen
i am going crazy trying to figure out how to decorate...
Living room/kitchen combo
These two rooms go together. I am trying to tie the...
Focal Point - living room/kitchen combo
I am struggling with ideas to spruse my home up. I...
Close to pulling all my hair out. HELP PLEASE!
I'm not sure which countertop to go with between two...
Something Missing
Looking for ideas! I feel as though something is missing...
should the ceiling can lights be lined up with the counter edge
We installed the can lights with the outer edge lined...
privacy options
My neighbor uptown has built a parlor floor backyard...