redecorating the dining room- help
cpsk
i am in the midst of redoing the small dining room & this is what i have so far but need help with curtains, parsons chairs & chandelier. FYI- the ugly black chandelier is being replaced with either an antler chandelier or should i do rustic style crystal chandelier? I am not sure if i should keep the grey parson chairs or replace with cream ones. The other dilemma is color of curtains. I was thinking of cream linen with a tan design maybe a soft trellis or morocan tile. The family room that adjoins this area has a dry stack stone fireplace with an salvaged beam from an old bldg. Leather distressed with brown fabric sofa which is gorgeous, taupe walls & earthy colors. My style is eclectic like potterybarn or arhaus style. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanx
SawHorse Design + Build
Window treatment could make the space feel and look like a new room. Be careful as to not have a dramatic transformation just in case the adjacent rooms would feel overpowered. The orientation of the table seems off as well. Is there a reason that it is not set in along the longest dimension of the room? You may not have any other choices if the other furniture is to remain.
August 5, 2013 at 7:36AM        Thanked by cpsk
leelee
I like the gray chairs but the linen would be nice too.

Chandelier ideas
August 5, 2013 at 8:04AM        Thanked by cpsk
I see a rod hanging on the palladian so I'm going to say that the trick in here is to hang your curtains wide of all the windows - so the panels on the buffet wall will fill to the corner. That means you need a longer rod on the palladian window so the drapery panels can sit open to let in that wonderful natural light - the light in this space is so beautiful but it is the curtains that will make it.

Yes, save your pennies for something heavy and textural and visibly gorgeous. Is red the accent color in the next room too? I think you would be happiest with the contrast and warm jolt of red - a stripe or print drape. Your next room sounds lucious and neutral - this is the place where color in the drapery would envelope the room and make it feel like an accent to the larger space. You have the windows and light for it, and at night it would be dramatic. There will be a lot of it, so you need to love it -

If you prefer the neutral trellis, perhaps a red leading edge could be added?
August 5, 2013 at 8:22AM        Thanked by cpsk
cpsk
sawhorse design & build wondered why the table was placed in this direction. Its b/c if i rotate it then the sideboard between the windows would have to be removed b/c the room is so small the person that would sit in the grey parsons chair would bump into the sideboard so thats why i rotated the table. I wish this room were bigger but b/c the swimming pool is outside nearby i cant even add an addition on in this area. Do you think crystal chandelier or antlers? ALso keep the grey chair or go with a cream? i really like the look & feel of the pic attached in was debating on curtains like those. Should I put a plant in the left corner?
libradesigneye suggested a neutral trellis with red leading edge. I do like that but its more rust than red. I cant capture the colors very good with the camera i grabbed this morning before heading into the office.
August 5, 2013 at 8:39AM     
Search the box above under Photos for dining antler chandelier to see some inspirations that may help you decide. I really like the lantern light you posted - would a smaller version of that work in the dining room? Have you checked to see if the piece in your foyer would work between those windows? You need something wider under that mirror, if you're keeping it.
August 5, 2013 at 8:47AM   
cpsk
yes i have searched extensively for the antler chandelier just having a hard time deciding. The piece in the foyer is too wide to go between the windows & the other piece i have in another room is too low. thanks for your help>
August 5, 2013 at 9:48AM   
cpsk
what does everyone think of this chandelier going in my dining room or should i do a old world style crystal chandelier?
August 5, 2013 at 12:32PM     
SawHorse Design + Build
It's your house and you if you like it, then go for it. Many real estate contracts now state that chandeliers may end up going with the seller so don't worry about the next buyer.
August 5, 2013 at 12:38PM   
cpsk
yeah i know but i cant seem to make up my mind. I'm worried that if i go with antler its going to have less flexibility with the adjoining rooms design choices. i love to change my rooms around.
August 5, 2013 at 12:49PM   
If you love to change it up, get antlers for the table top and a more classic light fixture that will be flexible. Maybe one of the antler candlelabras would look good on the sideboard.
Classical Twist: A Modern Townhouse with Traditional Reference
River Bluff Residence
August 5, 2013 at 2:47PM      Thanked by cpsk
Judy M
I think crystals are too fussy for this room, so if other choice is antler than that's my vote, but the variety of three different types of seating is really bugging me.

Like the two hostess chairs, but not fond of a backless bench in a dining room.
August 5, 2013 at 3:07PM     
sharpkl
What do you think of this chandelier from Pottery barn? I like the airiness and it is eclectic.
August 5, 2013 at 3:23PM     
August 5, 2013 at 3:23PM        Thanked by cpsk
mpoulsom
how about one of those chandeliers with the wooden beads? see if i can find a pic. you've probably seen them though. :)
August 5, 2013 at 3:42PM   
mpoulsom
]

there are a few companies that have the wooden alternative chandeliers...horchow, restoration hardware...some of the beaded ones have some in darker browns, if you prefer that. and also colored wooden beads, if you would like a pop of color there!
August 5, 2013 at 3:48PM     
mpoulsom
]

this one is cool too.....
August 5, 2013 at 3:50PM        Thanked by cpsk
joyannello
I would change table to round if money allows. Ballard Designs even sells a party table which seats six. Then invest in custom tablecloth to the floor and matching floor to ceiling drapes. Since it is a smaller room it will give a softer cozy feel and make ceiling seem higher. I would perhaps stay in the gray tones and leave your gray chairs on either side of your hutch. Look for four new smaller scale dining chairs. Can also see an oversized lantern centered over table for main light fixture. A glass top can protect your tablecloth to allow some practically.
August 6, 2013 at 9:43AM     
klfische
So let's start from the beginning................Paint the room in a light color that is going to flow with your other rooms...............you do NOT want the room to be too dark.............I really think you need a ROUND table.........the table appears to not be in proportion to the room and I think because there are so many square lines in the room...........Round with leafs that you could put in when you have guests would be best............I do not like the bench.........I would have 4 chairs ONLY around the table and also have the ability to pull chairs in from another area of the house when you have guests.................Curtains...........washable and light colored............I would suggest the SAME color of the walls................so perhaps buy the curtains FIRST - then paint color 2nd.....................hang those curtains as HIGH as possible.............and ALL at the same level...............it will make your room seem larger and your windows larger...............it seems that you have a 1/2 moon window...............do not worry............still hang the curtains as high as possible.............look at bed,bath and beyond. com...............you can get 108 long curtains for not a whole lot of money............finally a chandelier that is not visually heavy and that is timeless.............the chandelier is too heavy and too large for the space.............my hope is that you will remember the words timeless...............go to home depot or lowes and pick a chandelier that is either wrought iron or oil rubbed bronze that is not fussy.............do not put a bunch of little things in the room..............when things are too small...........plain and simple it does not look good............visual space is a good thing...............it is better to have just a table and chairs and curtains.....then a whole lot of little stuff...............perhaps some REAL green plants............but again not a lot............I hope I have answered your questions and not left you feeling defeated............it takes time to learn how to get things correct the first time..........ballard design has burlap curtains on sale right now..........now that would really work well in your space and they come in 3 colors and long lengths...........
August 6, 2013 at 10:24AM     
cpsk
to klfische- the room is painted in a light taupe that is the same color as kitchen, family room , hallways & foyer since its a somewhat open concept. I had a round table but switched it with this one that was in the kitchen b.c i needed more room in the kitchen. The bench was a custom job & needs to stay. I was thinking of doing cream solid linen curtain panels on the palladium window then just one panel on the outer side to the corner of the other 2 windows. If i keep the style of the grey chairs i was thinking they would look better in cream linen but not sure about the finish for the legs. its been suggested to move the curio shelf but i dont know where i should move it within my house?? i was thinking about a large lantern chandelier, rustic crystal one or antler chandelier. Any thoughts

Traditional Dining Room by Charleston Cabinets & Cabinetry Carolina Kitchens of Charleston, Inc.
August 6, 2013 at 11:12AM     
cpsk
August 6, 2013 at 11:13AM     
joyannello
Definitely the lantern. Ballard also has custom round table covers in burlap as well.
August 6, 2013 at 11:19AM     
Mo
I have found when I go with something that is currently "in" I live to regret the decision as trends seem to change so quickly. My rule of thumb is to go with pieces that are timeless for integral parts to the design of the home and expensive in terms of switching out. I then change up my rooms with smaller trendy items that can easily be switched and not an expensive redo. I think the antler chandelier, while beautiful, will be a trendy thing that you will regret. I would go with something that is not frilly and stays rustic but is more traditional. I do like the lantern look.
August 7, 2013 at 4:15AM        Thanked by cpsk
PattyO
This is my favorite chandelier ever--it would look lovely in your room. Pottery Barn, baby!
August 7, 2013 at 4:29AM        Thanked by cpsk
sanjack0
I like your chandelier. Try getting curtains up before you change it out.
August 7, 2013 at 5:58AM   
katbradbury
CPSK, you haven't said definitively what your budget is - are you looking to keep what you have and make the room look "more finished" or do you want to do it over? I am assuming you don't want to start over.

I agree with other posters that the table looks like it is in the wrong direction from the first photo, but I think that is an optical illusion based on your comment and the third photo. Unless your room is almost square, I don't think I would go with a round table.

My take. I love the neutral palette - walls, floor and rug. While I think that the dining room table looks a little casual - or "kitcheny", I like the simplicity and the scale. The chairs and the bench are not working for me. The two Windsor side chairs are too matchy and reinforce the kitchen look, the captain's chairs are too large and formal with the table and the bench seems too long for the space.

Can you use the bench at the foot of a bed, in an entrance hall or as a coffee table? I would shop antique fairs, consignment stores or Craig's list for six chairs that are mismatched, but similar in scale. I'd than have them all professionally spray painted in one color, but not black. You can buy a fun fabric and reupholster the seats yourself. If that doesn't work for you Ballard designs a good selection of dining chairs. Simple parsons slipcovered chairs to serve as captain chairs and then the Cassie or Constance side chairs.

Love the Ballard Designs lantern and someone else's idea of the burlap or simple linen panels. I would go with panels on both sides of your side windows - it would make the sideboard "fit" better. Re the color - I would go with something similar to the color in your rug - or anything that would be similar in hue to the stone in your fireplace.

I do think the mirror is too large for the sideboard. I would go with something taller and more narrow to better fill the wall space between the windows. Sometimes you can find wonderful old frames - pop out the art and have a mirror put in.

Good Luck!
August 7, 2013 at 6:23AM     
daisyd10
I would change out all the brown and beige for green and add more natural elements and textures. I do think a patterned rug would look amazing. Right now the color just kind of blends into the wood floor.
August 7, 2013 at 7:03AM     
katwishing
My vote is for a rustic crystal chandelier over the antler one. I think the crystal chandelier is more timeless (but then again, I'm also partial to crystal chandeliers :) ). Also, I feel like the room doesn't have quite enough color yet. My style also leans to Pottery Barn. Personally, I'd go with a light paint color that gives some warmth (but has a slight grey undertone, such as one of the Sherwin Williams neutral colors): maybe a warm, subtle sage. In my own house, I use a lot of SW Netsuke and Ecru paint (a tan with grey and green undertones; it often looks more like sage than tan, depending on the light). I could also see an oriental rug in this room paired with burlap curtains. Or, I could see your existing rug with silk curtains (maybe a subtle striped silk curtain to bring in a little color). I think you might also want to bring in some cool-colored accessories to balance the dominant warm tones (e.g. a few decorations that have some blue in addition to your main warm colors, maybe in artwork or a decorative piece or two by the lamp).
August 7, 2013 at 7:18AM        Thanked by cpsk
jazabala
I agree with the others that a round table would be more appropriate for this space and mirror the artwork in your family room. I also think two more of the gray arm chairs would really anchor the table and room. A geographic area rug in charcoal and cream would add some interest to the room and focus on the table. Let artwork add the color or punch you want in the room as well as fresh flowers depending on the season. Roman Shades on the two smaller windows would add some interest and not conflict with the palladian window. For the Palladian window I would go almost to the ceiling on either side with simple panels same fabric as the roman shades on two smaller windows. To add more depth to the room, I would ditch the small chest and all the accessories and use a large, framed floor mirror. Check out Victoria Elizabeth Barnes on this site or her own blog to see how effective large mirrors can be! Have fun!!!
August 7, 2013 at 8:18AM        Thanked by cpsk
foyles
I really like what you are doing and that you seem to love texture. I'd paint the two wood chairs to match the gray. . If you don't have to cover the paladium window I think I'd leave it alone. Linen drapes would be light and airy in the small room. Maybe use that wonderful rustic box and put it on that table filled with plants......gives life to a room. Think about replacing the mirror with a piece of art, poster, photograph, print anything that you love.....remember art does not match the furniture or colors in a room! Keep your small things together.....maybe put the balls, and 2 ceramics on the tray without the glass bowl, add a flower to the vase. I love the sturdy gray chairs and the upholstered bench.....love. I don't dislike the chandelier, if you change it I'd do that last. I think the antler chandelier may be too definitely western.....I'd try to keep it more flexible. I do like what you have so far......texture and neutrals......perfect.
August 7, 2013 at 8:24AM        Thanked by cpsk
dmolles
I like your idea of the cream linen curtains. And I like the gray chairs. Have you considered a cream finish on the legs? I was also thinking that the current chandelier might be a frog prince in need of a kiss. Maybe some cream and/or linen (light taupe) paint and different (smaller?) glass shades? Maybe NO shades; just pretty bulbs? If you are even passable with a paintbrush, you could pull off a nice custom finish. Paint it cream and then dry brush some linen color on? It might turn out looking great and save you money! (If not, sell it on Craig's list!) And if you save on the chandelier, you could afford to pick up another round table. However, I do really like the Pottery Barn chandelier that was posted here twice and think it would work well in that space. It has the glam AND the rustic w/o being heavy. And it would bring some movement to what is a rather static, square/linear room. Your curtains could have a pattern that compliments the shapes in either chandelier. Also, it looks like the chandelier has large crystals hanging from it? Maybe take those off and drape a string of more delicate glass beads, maybe with some color in them? (Yes, I'm a hard-core DIYer. lol) You didn't mention the mirror, but you could paint the mirror frame, too, unless you're in love with the silver. I also like the idea of a few well-placed real plants.
August 7, 2013 at 8:54AM     
susanaz51
Why don't you paint the dining table? A lighter color would brighten the whole room and make it look more spacious.
August 7, 2013 at 9:04AM     
mpoulsom
I need to ask a stupid question....have you tried moving the table going in the other direction in that room? Or is that room square? I can't tell, but it may look better turned in the opposite direction with the wooden chairs or bench on the back window side.
btw...i love your bench!!
August 7, 2013 at 9:05AM      Thanked by cpsk
dmolles
Another idea: Could the bench go under the double window and put one Windsor chair on each side of the table? I think that might bring more balance and break up the row of rectangles (bench, table, sideboard). I realize the bench being under the window would leave no space for pulling out the gray chair on that side, but if it works visually, it can be moved when necessary for seating purposes. And it would give the look of a window seat. And this is where a round table would help, b/c then the four chairs could be positioned towards the corners of the room rather than toward the walls, bringing even more balance and space. :) Just some thoughts. I like your room and think you have a fun challenge on your hands.
August 7, 2013 at 9:09AM      Thanked by cpsk
Suzanna Sebesteny
I can see your dilemma. It's so much more difficult to decorate a small room than if you had tons of space. Lighting? It's such a personal issue and you've had many great ideas passed on to you already. Just use what you like. Another poster suggested not going too much with what is "in style". What's "in style" now won't be for long and you'll have to start over again. (antlers, for me, translates to a cottage) Window treatments? Something sheer, ceiling to floor, wall to wall. It's light and airy and doesn't "fill" an already small room. Not only that, it doesn't hide your fantastic light. If privacy at night is an issue, you can always use simple roller blinds that are almost hidden when rolled up. Keep the sheers and blind the same colour as your walls.

If you truly can't turn your table around, leave it as is. I'd get rid of the parson's chairs and use six chairs that are the same and almost disappear when pushed under the table, Nothing upholstered. Upholstered chairs add bulk and take away space. As for the bench.. please use it elsewhere. Benches are uncomfortable for the user and quite honestly make the whole room look like something you would use in an old farmhouse kitchen. It's a lovely bench that can be used, like someone else commented, in an entry or foot of a bed. If you need a lot of seating, just use 6 chairs.

the mirror above the buffet looks great. I wouldn't change that at all. If you were to put something narrower and higher it would just add the the linear feel of the windows and do nothing for the room.

I just looked at the pictures again, and if you go with the light sheers, no upholstery on the chairs, re-purpose the bench, a lovely light fixture in the same colour as the walls would look fantastic. It would pull it all together without adding fussiness.

You have some great ideas from some pretty smart people. From where I sit, it's a simple and easy fix and not overly expensive. Good luck. Keep us posted.
August 7, 2013 at 9:28AM      Thanked by cpsk
Suzanna Sebesteny
Oops sorry. Two corrections on my part. Ceiling are too high for ceiling to floor drapes. And I meant Windsor chairs, not parsons.
August 7, 2013 at 9:31AM   
designer1721
I would definitely recover the bench and possibly the chairs or go with a lighter framed chair and mix and match fabric for bench and chairs in same color family EX plaid w/ floral or geometric pattern with floral but same basic color scheme. Chandeliers well let's say center piece for your ceiling instead should be light and timeless approach anything heavy in the room will make room look worse because of size.
August 7, 2013 at 10:34AM   
ginia1118
I suggest painting the black spindle chairs a light grey to match the legs of the other chairs. You can keep grey tufted chairs as long as you tie it altogether. You need a wow factor chandelier and I would suggest splurging on that. My suggestion is to go all out for the Restoration Hardware crystal chandelier in cage that I attached. Then for curtains I would go with something simple possibly tie in more grey here. I found these paisley drapes on WorldMarket for pretty cheap. They would look nice. Lastly, I would suggest moving the mirror to the wall opposite the windows if there is space, and then putting a really fantastic piece of artwork there instead to draw you in. I love the wall colors. The carpet is neutral and I think you can work with the table.
August 7, 2013 at 10:45AM      Thanked by cpsk
cpsk
Thanks for all the suggestions. I really think I will return the grey tufted chairs b/c they are little big and I think a cream would look better. The reason the table is turned this way is because if it's orientated the other way the person who sits in the end of table doesnt have much room to pull chair out b/c of sideboard but maybe if I changed the end chairs it will work. This dining room is so small!the Chaney def has to go as it was originally off white and the room had 2 hideous rams horns for sconces flanking thealladium window. I then painted Chaney silver...yuck then black. It's like putting lipstick on a pig. That thing has to go!!!!ha FYI I was working with what previous homeowner had and did a big gut on house and dining room wasn't a big concern at that time. I do have a round table like this in the kitchen but switched me b/c kitchen is used more and this table is a bit big. It comes with 6 Windsor chairs that was passed on from my aunt. Originally the set was white but yrs ago I painted them black.if I go with cream linen parson chairs...no tufting what color should legs be. I moved the existing grey chairs to side of room and like that better. I have ruled out the antler chancy now. I am now debating on oversize glassed black lantern. What do y'all think? Should it be circular or square?
August 7, 2013 at 12:09PM   
dlanier1
The set up that you have so far looks pretty good. I would not advise a cream/linen drape- the reason being is that the walls are tan, the rug is tan and the bench is also tan. The finished look will be tan on tan on tan. Since you’re style is eclectic how about a reddish drape, something that pulls from the design of the bench? The tufted chairs that you have already are great, I would not replace them. Since you’ve described a “lodge” style design in your family/living room I like the idea of the antler chandelier. Whatever color drape you decide on you could stencil/paint a border of the same color on the rug.
August 7, 2013 at 12:56PM   
kcory1969
To make it cozier you need window treatments and something on those walls, maybe large plants would do well in the corner, it appears you get lots of light
August 7, 2013 at 1:01PM      Thanked by cpsk
mpoulsom
to be honest...i think circular would be nicer!

and if you could move the sideboard to a different spot maybe it would work as well, IF you moved the table.

I like what dianier1 has said about doing the curtains in a color perhaps....don't rule that out entirely either. If you have a flat sheet or can buy a cheap flat sheet in a color and hang it up by windows just to see if you like that before committing to buying curtains. You can always return it. Just a cheap trick of mine! ;)
but i think you've done a great job so far.....go with your heart and your gut!
August 7, 2013 at 1:12PM      Thanked by cpsk
laurelolivia
Great bones. It is a small space. I would keep the light wall color or whatever shade you choose make it light. If you wanted to keep the table, bench and chairs you have, I would replace the two wood ones. I would invest in floor to ceiling or very tall curtains, large grommets, substantial rod. If not pooling on the floor then right to it. A light color but almost wall to wall to create drama. If you want color, pale pale greyed down blue, green or turquoise. Table linens to match. If you want pattern do monocramatic. Keep the mirror. If you want a drastic shot of elegance sanding the floor and staining it dark, keep the rug or not. (wooden chandelier RH.jpg) sounds like it would blend with the other room. Good luck
August 7, 2013 at 1:59PM     
houseatthelake
It is hard to tell from the photos, but is there room on the other wall beside the kitchen door for your sideboard, or even something bigger that you could use for more storage? Also I agree the mirror should be larger. I think a square one would look nice. The table almost looks too small for the space. If you have too large of a light it is going to make the table look even smaller. One that you can see through would be a good choice I think, but I also like the antler lights. They would go well with your fireplace and rustic furniture as would the other fixture. I would hang some drapes on black rods high above the window and have wood blinds.
August 7, 2013 at 3:42PM   
cpsk
Thanks. Be macramé asked if there was room for sideboard on other side of wall. ...well it doesn't show in picture but on the far right side the is a corner shaped hutch that has been in our family for generations so needs to stay plus it doesn't work in the rest of the house, so the only other choice for that placement would be on front corner on left but the is a floor vent over on that side so that's not the best choice. Since I started this discussion I'm pretty sure that those grey chairs will be returned. I was off today so while my 2 yr old was napping I switched the kitchen table which is a round black pedestal(it has a left which makes it oval) ..from pier I..I do like the round table b/c it broke up all the angles but I can't leave it in the room b/c then wouldn't have a kitchen table. The black rectangle farmhouse table is too big for kitchen. So I am open to changing the table..what color?
August 7, 2013 at 4:14PM   
cpsk
A comparison for table shapes.
August 7, 2013 at 4:18PM   
designer1721
Personally I think the black is not right in this room, its very gloomy and dated. Simple solution return it to its natural state , sand, stain and add a glass topper if you want to risk with children if not staining and returning to natural state vs painting will give better results. Whether you are leaving the round table or the rectangle does not determine shape of light fixture you could actually go linear/contemporary say with two or three pendants hanging. Bulky in a small room looks like furniture too big, so if you lighten it up with other things such as the chairs and fabric on benches with light framed lighting it will improve the overall appearance of room I think you will be pleased.
August 7, 2013 at 4:27PM     
designer1721
Here are two examples of lighting, just do the same with the side board. Lighten it up with some pottery pieces too.
August 7, 2013 at 5:04PM     
tj59
Love, love, LOVE the grey parsons chairs, don't change. I like the mix you have going with the different chairs and woods. Eclectic but not hodge podge. Nice.

Also, love the idea of the antler chandelier w/ the parsons chairs. The fixture you currently have is pretty heavy. I think the antlers will actually lighten things up. If you keep the bulbs clear it will give a nice twinkle to the room.

The fabric you have on the bench looks like a linen. You mentioned linen for the drapery. I've seen burlap/linen type fabric, in the same vain. Perhaps give that a try with a 3in border same color as red(?) lettering on bench. Whatever you do, hang the rods as high as possible and wide enough so that when the curtains are pulled back they are not blocking light from the windows. Ah, found some pics.
August 7, 2013 at 6:33PM        Thanked by cpsk
Courtney Harrison for Smith+Noble
You have a really great space to work with. The first thing I would recommend is having the chairs around your table be more consistent, there are two many differences tings going on from the two styles of chairs to the bench. On the window width the arch you could do a really magnificent drape that's always "dressed" with a white wood blind underneath to open and close for privacy,to pull the fabric into the room more do the two smaller windows as roman shades in the same material as the drapes. I would keeping the drapes and roman shades a simple color with some texture and get a rug with a pattern. what ever colors you pick you can tie in with place mats and other small items. i would paint the bar table in the back though, it competes with your wood coloring in your floor to much.

Good Luck!
August 7, 2013 at 6:52PM      Thanked by cpsk
Connie
could you put the table on the diagonal?
August 7, 2013 at 8:09PM   
cpsk
connie...yes i actually had the table on the diagonal but didnt take any pics. i actually was surprised it looked good.
August 8, 2013 at 5:12AM     
Connie
I thought that might be the trick (at least in the short term) to help break up the space, and have the best traffic flow. :)
August 8, 2013 at 1:43PM   
nramsey1
I don't hate your chandelier. What about painting it? I like the square table idea. Area rug with some color. Neutral to sheer drapes hung ceiling height. Choose a color from your rug for the chandelier.
August 8, 2013 at 3:09PM     
penelopesdreamydesigns
Didn't read all of the comments due to many lengthy suggestions, so if I repeat, please forgive. Have you tried switching the bench with the 2 black wooden chairs, it would give more room to walk around the sideboard
benches usually stay where they are placed unlike chairs.
August 8, 2013 at 3:30PM     
suzykparis
1. If you like the antler chandelier, use it as a starting point for redecorating as the style is rustic. Since it was your first instinct, go with it if you can make the necessary changes-it won't blend well with the other items you currently have.

2. I'd find another home for the bench some day. For now, when not in use I would put the bench under the window on the left side of the picture, and perhaps move the sideboard piece to the opposite wall (can't see the entire room for other suggestions) or take it out and put in a rolling cart or small mobile island if you need a serving piece.

3. I would avoid square or round tables, not enough room as mentioned. I suggest an oblong table with wood (top or base) that picks up the tone of the wood of the chandelier, and smaller chairs that fit flush under the table. Get the right scale chairs and if necessary reupholster the seats yourself (an easy and cheap fix). Rustic lends itself to mid weight fabric with some texture and fall or neutral colors.

4. Get a color wheel at a paint department, to help you pick opposite tones which complement one another, such as orange complements blue etc. You will find it a huge time saver.
August 12, 2013 at 1:18PM      Thanked by cpsk
Light In Art
We make Contemporary Stained Glass Lighting and Art and some of our pieces would fir perfectly in your dining room; For example, the Plice is fantastic and/or the Safari or/and the Galaxy. We customize size and color; visit our website at http://www.lightinart.com/ to see some options.
August 12, 2013 at 3:53PM   
pamguevara
Listen to klfische, she hit the nail on the head. A round table with leaves would work and look great. The drapes need to be hung as high as possible. The only other thing I would say is to loose the mirror. I only like mirrors used where they reflect some thing beautiful. A beautiful painting hug over the sideboard would allow you to bring your accent color in to the room.
August 12, 2013 at 7:46PM      Thanked by cpsk
cpsk
thanks for all the comments. I havent taken a pic yet but this wknd i returned the grey chairs...too big & not right colour. I purchased 2 smaller cream linen parson chairs that i will be adding bronze nailheads. i am leaning towards a square lantern chandelier & going with curtains. I was thinking of doing a neutral curtain with a color trim band but havent found one yet.... probably going to have to go custom. I agree the table should be oval. I moved the kitchen table in the dining rm & liked it but i cant keep it there b/c it works perfectly in the kitchen.

see pic for curtains
]
August 13, 2013 at 5:13AM   
lamaisonbleu
I see the table being switched to the opposite direction. It does not flow with the room.
Take the small side board and put it elsewhere. You'll have enough room.

I can see you love the bench. Tufted grey doesn't go at all with the bench, nor do the 2 wooden chairs. I'd put grey chairs in a bedroom or at the sides... getting 3 sides of the table with comfortable chairs. You and your host should share the bench (or children should). Wonderful, I get it. But not good for a fun and long dinner party; hard on the back.

LOVE the antlers. I'd try that first.
You already have lots of good ideas coming in on the drapes.
I'd take some of that pink or warm colors from the bench and incorporate them in small doses, like cover dining chairs with a bright pattern. Most of the fabric will be sitting under the table!:)

Best to you.
September 4, 2013 at 1:20AM   
Need help redecorating my living room and dining room.
I need some ideas for furniture arrangement and window...
Need help redecorating my dining room and kitchen
I am redecorating my dining room and kitchen. I have...
Need help redecorating our formal dining room
We've had our dining room in this style for many years...
Redecorating/updating dining room
I'm in the process of updating my dining room. Keeping...
redecorating dining room
is it appropriate froma design standpoint to mix woods...
Glass Block in the master bathroom? Passé?
Would you consider using glass block in a master bath...
I need help selecting yellow paint color for dining and kitchen
I have lots of windows for this area, which is currently...
Need Help - rustic look gone wrong!
I have purchased a californian bungalow with corrugated...
Cabinets, not sure where to start
We are remodeling our master bath, a smaller space....
B'day Bash in 20 days! 1984 Florida home in need of quick spruce up!
Have lived here for almost 20 years & have yet to take...