Need some suggestions on this space
lisaorp
I just bought the house and the family room is dark & narrow. I'm looking for ideas to add color to the room. I was thinking a to tone to brighten up.
pcmom1
Are these your furnishings? Just wondering if we need to work with these since often we find out they belong to previous owner!

With a long narrow room it lets to break the space up. Try to avoid having the sofa pushed up against the long wall.

To help with the darkness in the room I would paint the fireplace white. Also I would take the wainscotting down as it just breaks up the wall and makes the room seem shorter. If you don't want to take it down, then paint the room, including the wood, in a warm white with some sheen to the finish (satin).

Take the window treatment down and replace with something that doesn't block any of the window. Can be drapery, only hung wider. Is it possible to add canned lights to the ceiling? And look into Solatubes. I added two of these to my own dark living room and made a huge difference!
August 5, 2013 at 2:42pm     
7j DESIGN
Updating the lighting will certainly brighten the room. Two lamps are not enough to light this space. Add some potlights and you will notice a vast difference. Also painting the brick and the wainscoting will help tremendously.
August 5, 2013 at 3:08pm   
abbyjean
LOVE the suggestions for painting and getting the sofa off the wall. Float it right about at the edge of the deck door. Put the chair up by the fireplace and move the desk to the other side of the deck door, behind where the couch will go.
Add pillows and a throw to the couch. Not only will they add color, but it will soften the look of the leather and be comfy, too!!!
The picture opposite the deck door is waaaay toooo high....look how close it is to the ceiling. It needs to come down to eye level to be appreciated. Check the other art in the room, too.
Can't tell if you have other furniture in the room to play with?
August 5, 2013 at 3:30pm     
designer1721
take down the curtains for sure, remove the wainscot would be big improvement, next paint the walls soft light color change the flooring material. Once that is done furniture revamping needs to be done by creating comfort able seating arrangement, the current pic does show it doesn't work, however loose the desk and create small seating areas in groups. The furniture may be too big for the narrow space and limits your options. Go natural for decorations especially near the fireplace that i would not paint but clean up really well and place another pic over mantle and place tv elsewhere.
August 5, 2013 at 3:58pm   
laurienordin
Paint the wainscotting white. Do another colour above. Ask at a paint store what white would look nice with the paint colour you use on the upper walls. I agree that the window treatment does not add polish to your room. Not sure what you should do with the windows. Paint all the trim white. Look over Houzz to get some ideas of painted wainscotting. If you search for fireplaces, you will see many family rooms with it painted. Have fun!
August 5, 2013 at 4:14pm     
echoblack
If its on your budget, you could get more windows or skylights installed. You could also re-upholster your sofa and chair a cream or beige. Maybe some ceiling lights would brighten it up too
August 5, 2013 at 4:17pm   
Paint wainscot white, top Revere Pewter gray by Benjamin More. Leave ceiling white. Paint all trim and doors white use a satin finish. Get rid of vertical on all windows. Add panels in a yellow and white trellis pattern. Add yellow accents n pillows to sofa.
August 5, 2013 at 4:20pm   
Add tall yellow base lamps with white drum style shades. A glass round coffee table 24"
A big mirror over sofa.
August 5, 2013 at 4:21pm   
I like pcmom idea of whitewashing the firepl white. You have a lot of very dark furn. Can you change it up more?
August 5, 2013 at 4:23pm   
pcmom1
Poster, could you give us photos taken from the fireplace so we can see other side of room? Also, the tv is so big for your fireplace. Wondering if it could go elsewhere...left of the sliding door?
August 5, 2013 at 5:09pm   
lisaorp
Pcmom1, the room furnishing are not mine!!!! This is what the previous owner had. I like the idea of painting the wanes coating . I was thinking of painting the fireplace wall one color and contrasting it with another.
Here is a sample
August 5, 2013 at 5:57pm   
lisaorp
I will be adding hardwood floors and the window blinds will be one (they are ugly). Here is another pic I like.
August 5, 2013 at 6:08pm     
lisaorp
Oops ...... Gone
August 5, 2013 at 6:09pm   
ctirone
remove the wains coating. resurface the fireplace with field stone and install windows flanking the firplace. the windows should be wide and long.
August 5, 2013 at 6:28pm   
ctirone
place two comy chairs on eithr side of the firplace. the couch along the wall facing the glass door. and one chair facing the fireplace
August 5, 2013 at 6:31pm   
lisaorp
This is on the other side of the room (it's all open).
August 6, 2013 at 6:46pm   
lisaorp
Finished my room
October 21, 2013 at 8:47am   
lisaorp
The other side
October 21, 2013 at 8:48am   
pcmom1
Getting there! Hope you don't mind a little more input.

I like the color you painted the fireplace wall. I would love to see you paint the other two walls in the room that color and then the ceiling in a lighter shade of the same.

Try the rug centered with the fireplace which means you will pull it away from the wall. Only a part of your sofa needs to sit on it. Part of it will also be under the recliner which will pull the area together.

Adding a more substantial mantle to the fireplace would look better. You could have a piece made that would just sit on the existing one.
Tallwood Ct - Atherton
Living Room
October 21, 2013 at 9:00am   
lisaorp
Love the idea of moving the rug! Missed that, thank you. Will look into the other ideas too
October 21, 2013 at 9:32am   
Diana
I had a family room identical to yours, including the wainscoting, vertical blinds and tired fireplace. I ended up moving!.......which isn't what I'm suggesting. I do recall the challenges though. Some good comments here include hardwood, an area rug (lisaorp had a nice one). One suggestion that you would not regret is spending the money on re-facing the fireplace. It is your focal point. I would also change the couch to a more sleek design (modern contemporary) with slim arms and low back. The fireplace is first and foremost......and will add value to your place. Every prospective buyer that reviewed my home prior to selling talked about the old and tired fireplace. Good luck.........nothing ventured, nothing gained!
October 21, 2013 at 9:43am   
pcmom1
An easy fix with a big bang would be new curtain panels. Something more substantial with some color. Get a heavier rod and hang them almost to the ceiling and wider than the window.

You can order 96 inch from a lot of places: Country Curtains, World Market, Pier One, etc.
October 21, 2013 at 9:56am     
Kathleen McDougall
Lower the picture, open bookshelves flanking the fireplace, taller lamps, move the rug towards the door, remove the items to the left of the fireplace and add a narrow armless chair.
October 21, 2013 at 10:05am   
pcmom1
Hanging your curtains high, especially if there is a vertical stripe in them, will make your ceiling seem higher.

October 21, 2013 at 10:07am   
I'm needing some suggestions for some over-the-bar- lights.
Our outdoor kitchen will be enclosed in a screened...
Need some Suggestions
I have a light blue room and was wondering what color...
Needing some bar stool suggestions!
The counter tops are a grey granite. We love the fireplace,...
Finishing touches...needs some suggestions
I've been working on this project for awhile now and...
Small open floor plan needing some design suggestions!!
Hi everyone! We recently moved into our little town...
Yay or Nay? Indoor fairy lights
Are you a fan of using fairy lights indoors? The twinkle...
Do we really need a kitchen designer?
We have a small condo with a tiny galley kitchen. Do...
Help design my country/vintage/modern idk what it is kitchen!
Okay, here is my kitchen. Just had the granite installed...
Need help with re-finishing kitchen cupboards
I have oak cupboards and I'm so sick of oak. The cupboards...