Island or peninsula?
erinmarie05
I would like to do an island or peninsula that accommodates 2 person seating. The armoire which is acting as a pantry will be removed. There is 8'10" from the sink side cabinets to the armoire wall and 8'4" from the fridge to the end of the wall. I'm also planning on granite countertops new shaker white doors and new backsplash and hardware.
Scott Himmel, Architect P.C.
You will need at least 9'-6" minimum between the front of the existing counter and the wall to to an island. A good work table with shelves above next to the armoire would be better.
August 5, 2013 at 5:14pm     
7j DESIGN
You don't have enough space for an island to seat 2 people. Try adding a peninsula. It would have been helpful to see a floor plan.
August 5, 2013 at 5:16pm   
baldo2797
Your best bet is a peninsula since you want seating for two. Branch it out from the wall on the left of the image. Stainless steel hardware and tile backsplash will look nice.
August 5, 2013 at 5:20pm     
12con
Be careful with a peninsula, I had one and hated it because it blocked the natural walk pattern, Islands are more accommodating, but I am not sure you have the space.
August 5, 2013 at 7:26pm     
Adrianne
That jog comes out in such a way.. I'm not sure if you have room for either.
Can you measure from the jog to the wall behind that furniture piece.
August 5, 2013 at 7:34pm   
tiggertoby
Rolling Island! Best of all worlds.
August 5, 2013 at 10:02pm     
cathieg
My floor space is 6" wider than yours and we fit in an island with drawers from both sides and this functions quite well for us. The width of the island is 39" so therefore yours, technically, should work at 33", however, you would not manage drawers from both sides but, perhaps, drawers one side and shallow shelves or cupboards from the other. It could seat two on the end as ours does. In fact, I can seat three children across the end of mine. Make a paper template of island or peninsula and mark it out on the floor and move around it to see if you think it will work. Good luck.
August 6, 2013 at 2:40am     
cathieg
I forgot to mention, we used to have a peninsula, but this works much better.
August 6, 2013 at 2:42am     
R Robulock
I agree with tiggertoby, a rolling island is best. These are all small and might be a good fit for your kitchen. Easier to clean, just roll it out of the way, if you are entertaining, it would be nice to roll the island toward the entertaining area, double duty.

The first one is from C&B. It comes in black and in white. I love islands, they can really make a statement and it seats 2. http://www.crateandbarrel.com/organizing-and-storage/kitchen-islands-carts/belmont-black-kitchen-island/s152245

We had a long peninsula in our old house and it blocked the walk flow. When you entertain, people get blocked in the kitchen because the peninsula created only one way in and out of the kitchen.

Also, I think your kitchen cabinets and your appliances are beautiful. I would definitely invest in a good backsplash and countertops. Baldo2797 posted a pic with beautiful hardware and backsplash.

Yes, remove the armoire, it is not doing anything good in this space. I would love that beautiful refrigerator exposed.

7jDESIGN has a point. It might be a tight squeeze. Check the measurements of these small islands and see if it is still a possibility.
August 6, 2013 at 4:22am   
R Robulock
Nice kitchen, cathieg. The island fits very nicely.
August 6, 2013 at 4:26am   
Huge mistake on flooring choices
We are building a new home. The builder put so much...
1200 CFM Vent using a 10" x 3.5" rectangular duct transition piece
We want to install a 1200 CFM (Best IQ) but are restricted...
Ideas for accessorizing a fillable lamp
The lamp is on a screened porch in a suburban setting....
Kitchen window
I love these big beautiful picture windows above my...
Please help me tie my room together!
Hi everyone! I've been decorating my living room and...