Help me with my living room
Igor Santos
I'm a 29 years old living in Miami. I like calm colors, I'm a low profile guy, and I enjoy silence.

Give up on the couch is already too late. If the couch was a mistake, there's not much I can do about it.

This is a dark brown, semi-circled couch that I like a lot.

I need help with wall colors, rugs and wall decor.

Hit me upmif you have any questions.
jabbott2012
Please post pictures from other views of the room. Is this your main living room? Is there a TV? What are the room dimensions? The more info you provide, the more we can help.
August 5, 2013 at 8:06PM   
tiggertoby
Hard to tell from the photo of the room size and what other elements are in the room (doors, windows, TV) but it looks as if you could center you couch on the large wall (looks as if there is a bit of room on the right side). Move the round piece down to where you puppy is sleeping and use it as an end table. Place a round run in the center of the couch to add a pop of color and interest. You need a large wall hanging over the back of the couch for balance. As for color - what do you like? Color or a neutral? A nice sand or mocha would not close up the room as a darker color might.
August 5, 2013 at 8:32PM     
I see you have a canine friend, I would get a large round seagrass rug to put under your round ottoman. I would take down the verticals. I can not see what is behind them, so I can not make a suggestion. I would replace the lamp with a chrome arc lamp that would loom over the sofa placed in the right hand corner ;)

August 5, 2013 at 8:53PM     
Hanza Turgul Fine Art Prints
Hi Igor,if you need decorative art prints,please check out my website.Canvas prints,framed prints,acrylic prints, metal prints,posters are available in several dimensions.If you consider purchasing artwork from me,I can offer a special discount for you on Fine Art America for being a Houzz member.
http://hanza-turgul.artistwebsites.com/galleries.html
August 5, 2013 at 8:56PM     
Angel18432
The white "flowing" drapes on the left don't go with the masculine sofa (which I like also). Take them down and the verticals and get drapery panels "matching" for each window. Getting a rug, as above, is a great idea.
Once you have drapery up, see how much wall space you have and put a picture/print on each wall.
Then you need to add a little color - cushions, a throw. Use the round piece as your coffee table,
add a basket (for tossing items in) some magazines.
August 6, 2013 at 6:28AM   
pamelagamwell
In addition to the above suggestions, I would say change up your ottoman a bit to provide contrast from the large sofa. Slipcover it or recover it in a lighter color leather and add some nailheads in a unique pattern. Then place a round tray on top with a few odds and ends on it (candle, books, small sculpture of some kind) to give it more of a lived-in look.
August 6, 2013 at 6:38AM   
Igor Santos
Guys,

My apologies, but I did not review my text before posting it. I was not able to delete this yesterday. I just got home and will add more pictures shortly.

I neef help with:
Wall color
Rug
Wall decor in general
Anything you guys want to add

Thanks for the replies. More pictures coming up shortly.
August 6, 2013 at 3:51PM   
Igor Santos
Pics, part 1
August 6, 2013 at 3:54PM   
Igor Santos
Pics, part 2
August 6, 2013 at 3:55PM   
LB Interiors
I would begin with a round area rug in neutral colors that has a touch of a warm color that you might like. That would bring warmth and subtle interest to your room. You can add art and accessories that have some of the rug colors to provide added interest while still keeping things subtle.

I would remove the blinds and use off white roman shades. No drapery. Fill your large walls with art of interest to you. Maybe two large artworks on one wall. On large artwork or iron sculpture on the other wall. Add lots of chrome or brushed nickel in your accessories or framed art. Add a natural color tray to the ottoman. Add 3 brighter bookbindered colored books. Maybe a large colored or neutral bowl or accessory of interest.
August 6, 2013 at 4:02PM     
LB Interiors
Place your tripod on the right of the sofa in the empty corner.
August 6, 2013 at 4:04PM   
LB Interiors
As 'Margo C'suggested. An arc lamp in the left corner between the cornered walls.
August 6, 2013 at 4:05PM   
LB Interiors
Maybe purchase a large bookcase unit on the wall where the watercooler is. Store some things behind closed doors.
August 6, 2013 at 4:06PM   
eneaf
For wall art a good idea is to buy a piece you love, then pull out one of the colors and get pillows in that color, in your case because the sofa is so large, get big over sized pillows, you can have them make. Do you have a relative who sews? And one of those floor lamps you can put behind the sofa with arching pole That stretches over, make sure it clears everybodys head. Get a cream color rug quite large to off set dark, large sofa, not round, too corny.
August 6, 2013 at 4:07PM   
LB Interiors
You could also create a nice entry opposite the door with a console cabinet at the watercooler wall. A round mirrorr above with two lamps. An inviting feeling. Maybe find another place for the watercooler?
August 6, 2013 at 4:08PM   
LB Interiors
Maybe add large faux fur or leather pillows on the sofa. In choice of light neutral colors. A couple of warm toned pillows from an artwork or rug.
August 6, 2013 at 4:10PM   
eneaf
I saw this in a magazine and loved it, instead of a tv stand, get a low long cabinet, almost as long as the wall, and place tv on one end or middle, it makes the tv less of a focal point, and adds storage.
August 6, 2013 at 4:11PM   
LB Interiors
Another option is placing a desk on the watercooler wall for the computer and paying bills etc. With a mirror above and a table lamp.
August 6, 2013 at 4:13PM     
LB Interiors
Maybe you could place a nice desk on the large wall on the left walkway from the door. The watercooler wall for the entry invitation.
August 6, 2013 at 4:15PM     
You need a proper TV console and proper drapes. Vertical blinds and torchiere lamp must go.
Red atomic lamp from cb2, rug from West Elm, linen drapes from Pottery barn, Noguchi table from any modern furniture store (look for a knock-off), art from greatbigcanvas.com, entertainment center from Target.

Wall color: medium warm gray.
August 6, 2013 at 6:06PM     
Noguchi table in place of ottoman on West Elm rug. Bowl from Ikea.
August 6, 2013 at 6:18PM   
jabbott2012
Igor, there are lots of suggestions for neutral colors here. Are there any other colors you like? Orange, aqua, green, etc.?
August 6, 2013 at 7:48PM   
Igor Santos
I like quiet colors, like grey and light blue, but I'm willing to go with an accent wall somewhere. I have lots of wall area and fairly tall walls. This is my first home and there's a lot of work to be done.

I do not know what color go with a dark brown couch like mine.

Do you guys think the round couch was a mistake?
August 8, 2013 at 9:07AM   
Igor Santos
I'm going over your suggestions now. I'm in love with all websites suggested, specially art.com.

The arch lamp is a fantastic idea.

I definitelly need a rug, but I guess the rug needs to match with a wall or a piece of art in the wall, no?
August 8, 2013 at 9:10AM   
LB Interiors
Any shade of blue or blue greens are nice for you and work well with brown. Add some warm color, like terra cotta, sienna or reds to give the room some more life. Warm colors in smaller amount such as accessories. or a feature wall for accent. If accent wall, I would choose the 'two walls' behind the sofa as the accent wall for the accent color. I thnik that is the focal area of your room.:)
August 8, 2013 at 11:42AM   
LB Interiors
Possible the water cooler wall could be the focal wall, opposite the entry door. Great wow when you enter your home.
August 8, 2013 at 11:46AM   
August 8, 2013 at 11:48AM     
Sustainable Dwellings
I like what you've got to work with.
August 8, 2013 at 11:51AM   
Igor Santos
Would you guys tell me if this is a good color (wall) that would go with my couch?
August 8, 2013 at 8:09PM     
Sustainable Dwellings
Very calm.. would look nice with your sofa.
August 8, 2013 at 8:17PM   
LB Interiors
It looks like it would work with your sofa as the sofa is a much darker contrast like the fireplace details. Very nice color!
August 8, 2013 at 8:18PM   
Calzphotography
here are a few suggestions that might work for you.
all these pieces can be made into canvas gallery wraps,acrylics,metal prints and standard prints http://camille-lopez.artistwebsites.com/featured/the-blues-player-camille-lopez.html
August 8, 2013 at 8:26PM   
Calzphotography
I know you said calm colors but I couldn't resist this it would look smashing with that couch http://camille-lopez.artistwebsites.com/featured/ghost-bird-camille-lopez.html
maybe as a metal print
August 8, 2013 at 8:27PM   
The wall color in the photo you posted will look fine with your couch. Is that the vibe you're going for--sleek and modern?

I won't say the couch was a mistake; it is certainly impressive. It won't be the easiest to work with, but with the proper art and accessories, it can be smashing, I think. I would suggest you start with art rather than a rug. You have a lot of wall space and a couple of knockout pieces with that couch will make this room.

Let me see what I can do.
August 8, 2013 at 10:03PM     
A calmer look:
August 8, 2013 at 10:55PM     
Igor, one thing that would help immensely would be for you to post one or two pieces of art you like and think you might buy for this space. Then we can help you find rugs and accessories to pull it all together.
August 9, 2013 at 10:24AM     
krystinac
That is a nice couch
August 9, 2013 at 12:05PM   
Igor Santos
Perfect Groveraxle, will do that tonight. Keep in mind the neutral color I want to keep. Thanks a lot for the help.
August 9, 2013 at 3:53PM   
I'll keep your neutral wishes in mind, Igor, but don't be surprised if I pop a bit of color in somewhere. You'll have to humor me.
August 9, 2013 at 5:38PM   
cani
groveraxle, I love what you did with that first set of pictures with the rug from west elm.
August 9, 2013 at 6:59PM   
Best flooring for big dogs?
I have 4 high energy dogs, 2 of them are large. What...
Cambria Quartz
Has anyone experienced any problems with the Cambria...
kitchen wood compatibility
I am renovating my kitchen. I like the classic look;...
Help for color
Hello, I've buy this and not yet sure for the color...
How should I upholster dining chairs
We have an open plan kitchen dining area with two antique...