Living room
walnutwonderAugust 6, 2013
Pictures of the living room I need help with
Rina
Can you be more specific about what you see as your problems, or is it just a general kind of dissatisfaction? What would you be prepared to replace, what must stay? Do you want to repaint? Can you please give us a picture of the fourth (TV) wall so we can see what's going on there? There's great scope for turning this into a room you will love. For a very small start, you need to move the chair against the wall in the second picture forward to join the rest of the seating. And that is a great wall for dressing up with art, display shelves, and the like.
    Bookmark   August 6, 2013 at 2:27AM
walnutwonder
Well I need to keep everything bar the colour of the wall and the rug!! Just need advice on how to dress the room to make it look better!
    Bookmark   August 6, 2013 at 2:35AM
Sustainable Dwellings
The flat panel tv could be wall mounted above your stove. Try a nice sage or khaki paint on walls.... some throws and pillows to lighten up the dark furniture, and some art...pretty easy and inexpensive start.
1 Like    Bookmark   August 6, 2013 at 2:42AM
walnutwonder
I'm useless, what colour throws cushions would you suggest??? Kakhi sounds like a nice colour, just looked it up there, what type of rug could I go for???
    Bookmark   August 6, 2013 at 2:57AM
Rina
I think you could use a bigger rug, for a start. (What size is the one you have (which is lovely, by the way, but it doesn't lift the room)? Are you committed to subdued colours or are you open to a brighter, more modern look? Do the curtains stay? If they do, they would determine what colours you can use, such as the sage or khaki mentioned above. If not, I would say let's start with trying to find a rug you love and then let that determine the direction of the room. Favourite colours? I'm not in favour of mounting the TV above the stove, though it would look good in this instance. I think it would be too high for comfortable viewing. Be back later. Work calls.
    Bookmark   August 6, 2013 at 2:57AM
Rina
Okay, couldn't resist ... here are three rugs from overstock.com, just to explore what you might like. I can't see your curtains very clearly but I think all three might work with them.
    Bookmark   August 6, 2013 at 3:19AM
Sustainable Dwellings
Like the rug on the bottom... but nothing is wrong with the rug she has... you can work with it...lighter throws and pillows with a flattering pattern or print would be nice..
    Bookmark   August 6, 2013 at 3:29AM
walnutwonder
Hey that's great I like the first rug u posted there rina here is a pic of the curtains, I'm afraid they have to stay!
    Bookmark   August 6, 2013 at 3:51AM
Rina
Beautiful fabric. I'm glad you need to keep them. But the rugs I posted were based on what I thought was more of a gold undertone to the background. But I think -- assuming you do want to change the rug -- you need to shop for traditional rugs, looking for those that will blend with the three colours in the curtains. Most will have additional colour/s in them, which will then help you choose your cushions and throws based on that palette. For instance, with the first rug above, if its border colours did tone with your curtains, you would have the bonus of that lovely blue/grey to play with too. With your current rug you could pick up the grey, as well as the plummy colours and beiges that tone so well with your curtains -- and do I see green in there as well? Curse monitors, they play with colours and confuse one's eyes. Still, they make this possible.

When you have sorted out your basic colours -- and I think either the blue/grey or a subtle green would work very well as an addition in your room -- that gives you a basis for selecting cushions. I would start with a big, soft-textured cushion for the sofa in the background colour of your curtains.

And then there's my favourite thing -- art for your walls. I'd love to see a big piece of art above the gorgeous stove.

And then, and then .... pick a chandelier? Enough for now. Back to work.
1 Like    Bookmark   August 6, 2013 at 4:58AM
leelee
Never place a table with a lamp behind a door--move it to the side of the couch.

You have 3 large square/rectangles right together--TV, heater and a box they're all fighting visually with each other. Could you place your TV on the blank wall near the chair?
    Bookmark   August 6, 2013 at 6:30AM
Rina
I've done an impression of what it looks like to move the chair on the wall forward, and to use that wall as a display area -- just a couple of shelves and a picture, very simple. No need to take the picture I used seriously, I just fiddled with something I had in my files because the colours go well with your room. And if you do repaint your walls khaki or similar, the effect will be much warmer.
1 Like    Bookmark   August 6, 2013 at 7:01AM
walnutwonder
Tv can't be moved all the connections are behind it on the wall, didn't realise how big the tv was until we got it home, could I put a console table left hand side of stove with a mirror over it or is that more suited to a hall?? I like what you have created there rina and have taken your advice and moved the chair forward looks much better. As for the corner behind the door with the lamp there i just had stuck it there, but now I have moved it!!
    Bookmark   August 6, 2013 at 7:22AM
walnutwonder
I have this rug in my all way and just brought it in to see how it would look, what do you think??
    Bookmark   August 6, 2013 at 7:36AM
walnutwonder
I also have this wall art but just have to get it framed
    Bookmark   August 6, 2013 at 7:44AM
Sustainable Dwellings
like your original rug better... art in above post is kind of neat... makes for a quiet, relaxing place to be... not all rooms have to look like a party.
1 Like    Bookmark   August 6, 2013 at 8:23AM
Rina
Yes, I agree with Sustainable Dwellings, the original rug suits the room better. The red one is a wow but too overwhelming for this room. I love the art, these are beautiful works and they reflect a very distinctive taste -- so it's personal. Which is exactly what the art we live with should be.
1 Like    Bookmark   August 6, 2013 at 9:13AM
Help decorate sitting room between living room and dining room.
I have this space I don't know what to do with. It...
Stacia Luigi
Want to make formal living room a cozy living room
I was just lucky enough to get this cozy double wide...
kcaldarola
Living room dining room turned great room Help
Green parson chairs keep paint red walls some new color...
tonjamc
Transforming Living Room into Dining Room/Living Room
On our short list is a re-do of living room, last done...
gracelyngignac
Would 36" clearance around island be too cramped?
We are completely remodeling the kitchen on a home...
mshutterbug
what to add on wall? HELP
need any ideas as to what to add to wall behind single...
brittcharbonneau
Layout of kitchen
Will take out old built in. Move sink below window....
222612
In need of Ideas for master bedroom
Our master bedroom is small, but we're used to sleeping...
htabish
Design disaster
Tried to change my bathroom but made it worse. I want...
Abby Donolo