Straight guy seeks Wallpaper HELP!
tasihagisavas
I'm a single straight guy moving into a loft studio NYC city view apartment. Is this wallpaper appropriate for an accent wall in the foyer?
Cynthia Taylor-Luce
I think you should keep looking, but that's only my opinion. I have no idea what your furniture is like...
August 6, 2013 at 8:27am     
bluenan
Duplicate post...
August 6, 2013 at 8:28am     
KShoa
Stick to solid, bold patterns like vertical stripes and dark colors. This is too frilly.

Also remove your other identical posts :-)
August 6, 2013 at 10:02am     
bluenan
I like the wallpaper if it enhances the rest of the decor, the sheen will add reflective light back into the foyer. A metallic grasscloth will do the same and is masculine and textural. Phillip Jeffries makes a metallic rafia.
http://www.phillipjeffries.com/products/7726--vinyl_maxs_metallic_raffia.html
August 6, 2013 at 10:18am     
Terracegallery
I agree with KShoa....this one is too feminine.
August 6, 2013 at 10:21am     
bluenan
Here are some more woven papers.

August 6, 2013 at 10:25am     
Pure Home

This is very hip bachelor pad, here!
August 6, 2013 at 10:27am   
bluenan
Wow, I get the feeling he's more sophisticated than that...
August 6, 2013 at 10:34am        Thanked by tasihagisavas
RosemaryR
I think it's too feminine. How big is the foyer, the accent wall, how much light, any furniture in the foyer, what type flooring, would paint work as well - all questions to keep in mind in your decision. If you post more pix of the foyer, I'm sure you will get additional advice.
August 6, 2013 at 10:38am     
Hmmmmm, gee for a “straight” guy I think you would be more comfortable reinforcing your persuasion.

How about just being a “guy”?
August 6, 2013 at 10:49am     
bluenan
Judyg! Are you going to suggest deer mounts and gun racks as well!:))
August 6, 2013 at 10:59am     
bluenan
If it was many moons ago, back in my younger, single days, I would have loved to walk into a well designed and sophisticated loft of a straight guy, and if among the manly decor were a few vestiges of somewhat less masculine touches, I would have still felt comfortable and thought that maybe this guy wants to share his space with a female and isn't purely a "man's man". That's easy for me to say now that I've spent the last 37 years trying to corral the mounted fish, ducks, deer, antelope and elk back into the library where they belong. Let me just close the door and pretend...
August 6, 2013 at 11:14am        Thanked by tasihagisavas
mforr
These are fun, colorful oversized patterns without the extra feminine curviness of the one you posted. One is more a texture in large scale than colorful pattern.
August 6, 2013 at 11:29am     
mforr
More, lets just ignore the hideous purple candle :)
August 6, 2013 at 11:30am     
mforr
More
August 6, 2013 at 11:31am     
mforr
More
August 6, 2013 at 11:32am     
Idego Interior Design
I assume that since it's a NY apt. - that the foyer wall is small...so check out this website for removable wallpaper. The company started in NY and they have some fun stuff! http://www.chasingpaper.com/
Couldn't resist showing you one of their samples 'cause it's deer horns. (You crack me up Bluenan)!
August 6, 2013 at 11:40am     
mforr
Poor bluenan, the antlers will come to haunt you!! :)
August 6, 2013 at 11:55am   
mforr
Yes, that's great groveraxle, great texture. As long as he dusts it a bit once in a while, lol.
August 6, 2013 at 12:01pm   
tasihagisavas
Hey team! How do you feel about these options?
August 6, 2013 at 4:58pm     
@mforr, he's purchased a NYCity apartment. He'll be having a cleaning lady in. LOL
August 6, 2013 at 6:44pm     
@tasihagisavas, I like both of your choices above, but we're flying a little blind here. We can't see the space, don't have any idea what furniture you have, what your color palette is. If we advise you and it turns out to be a mistake...well, you're not a lawyer, are you?
August 6, 2013 at 6:49pm     
tasihagisavas
@groveraxie, I haven't moved in yet as I'm still renovating but below is a picture of the wall I want to wallpaper (where the James Bond Poster is - the picture shows the old owners stuff, it's since been emptied out). Since then, I have changed the floors (same floors like I have in my kitchen, pictured below), and bought a dining room table (also pictured below). Oh and my walls will be painted a very light gray (Benjamin Moore - Seattle Gray). Now that you guys have the visuals, let me know which wall papers would work best :)
Hope this helps!
August 6, 2013 at 7:38pm     
mforr
I love the zigzag, that would look great on that wall. Also like the floors and dining table. :)
What part of town are you in?
August 6, 2013 at 7:41pm     
tasihagisavas
Thanks mforr. I'm actually in Hoboken with a view NYC across the water.
August 6, 2013 at 7:45pm     
bluenan
Beautiful floors. The zigzag is cool and really compliments your other choices. It's definitely a bold graphic.
August 6, 2013 at 7:49pm     
mforr
Cool, I used to live in Hoboken, great condo in gated compound, and a full sized garage!! Loved that place. Used to live in Chelsea in the city too, loved living below midtown. Always enjoyed everything in lower manhattan and Chelsea was so central to all of it. Enjoy your place. :)
August 6, 2013 at 7:53pm      Thanked by tasihagisavas
peetabread77
I personally don't think its too feminine if you're using it in a limited amount of soace. It also depends on your furniture. If you really like it, make sure you have more masculine, modern furnishings.
and by the way, judyg that's just rude. He has his own opinions...
August 6, 2013 at 8:15pm        Thanked by tasihagisavas
amafixer
Like the zig zag pattern.
August 6, 2013 at 8:20pm     
tasihagisavas
How about this one?!?!
August 7, 2013 at 5:02am     
Maybe this will help.
August 7, 2013 at 6:30am        Thanked by tasihagisavas
tasihagisavas
@groveraxle, that is awesome!!!! Can you also do it with this one?! Thanks so much!!!
August 7, 2013 at 6:38am     
I never realized how hard wallpaper is to hang.
August 7, 2013 at 7:29am        Thanked by tasihagisavas
sondramartina
LOL groveraxle
Instead of hanging walpaper try to glue it ;)
August 7, 2013 at 7:34am     
If I were really ambitious this morning, I would have installed your new floor and moved in your dining table and chairs. As it is, I just stained the old floor, but you can get the idea.
August 7, 2013 at 7:35am        Thanked by tasihagisavas
tasihagisavas
Holy crap Groveraxle. You're amazing. If only my contractor was half as good....
August 7, 2013 at 7:42am     
HI -- That wall is perfect for one of the wall papers that looks like raw concrete or weathered wood or iron, even ones that have graffiti or even a leather look. Very NYC ! I like the horizontal wood looks . That is very in right now and very masculine and will add great texture and be a great backdrop for Art . I don't like your first pick -- too feminine and don't care for the colors and too busy , it will drive you crazy after awhile !
August 7, 2013 at 7:55am        Thanked by tasihagisavas
mforr
Groveraxle, will you try a couple of my patterns too? Please, I'd really appreciate it. :)
August 7, 2013 at 8:08am   
This will keep them guessing;)

August 7, 2013 at 8:20am        Thanked by tasihagisavas
HI -- That moose head is hilarious ! But - "No"
August 7, 2013 at 8:23am     
Come on lefty47- he's only $15,000 ;)
August 7, 2013 at 8:34am     
bluenan
Hey, I know where I can get some mounts I'd be more than willing to part with....free!
August 7, 2013 at 8:38am     
Timeless Appeal
I like what you're doing so far. I think the geometric pattern looks more upscale. Geeez, do you have to keep your games out in the open for the world to see? Just kidding. But really, put them in the hall closet. You might want to take jackets off the books on your shelves. They will look more subdued. Enjoy your million dollar view!
August 7, 2013 at 8:56am      Thanked by tasihagisavas
bluenan
That's not his furniture, it belongs to the sellers...
August 7, 2013 at 9:00am        Thanked by tasihagisavas
bygeorgi
No wall paper.....make this a focal wall, use art. Large scale art pieces on canvas would look more sophisticated... just saying,
if you are trying to impress the ladies. If you feel wall paper is a must stick to a classic , tone on tone geometrics or a grass cloth.
August 7, 2013 at 9:09am        Thanked by tasihagisavas
tasihagisavas
@Timeless Appeal; like bluenan said. None of that stuff is mine. All I own is a table... and a bunch of feminine wallpaper which i need to now return thanks to this forum ;) Thanks for the advice tho! I will keep my stuff concealed and try to avoid clutter!
August 7, 2013 at 10:22am     
travisinteriors
In a word no. New York loft. Go very contemporary . A black, silver metallic wall paper. Walls a owl gray by Benjamin Moore. Float furn like a low sleek chrome legs sectional in a soft gray. Accent chairs 2 swivel. In a black, gray, teal or lime green contemporary print. Pick one accent color. I like the lime green, or teal. Use around room for accent also in pillows on sofa. Just put white shades on windows. Don't block a view and hide where it's bad. Art needs to be huge and bold colors. Don't be afraid of color. Z Galleries has great furn, art bedding everything you will need at one stop shopping. Keep all bedding in your colors. A leather platform bed king size. Use dark wood night stands and tall lucite lamps on tables. Long low dresser. Add mirror on one end. Big art over bed. Area rug in front of sectional. Graphic contemporary design in the gray tones with your accent color. 8 x 10 would work center. Coffee table glass or a ottoman in Zebra print would add interest. Glass dining table with 4 leather high back chairs. Pier One has them in Teal. accessories Should be tall and group in 3 s. again Z s. I know you didn't ask for any of this. But can't help myself. Must decorate.
August 7, 2013 at 10:36am        Thanked by tasihagisavas
travisinteriors
Just saw yr pics. mforr has some great picks for wallpaper, I like the black and gray chevon print. Anything in metallics. You need a shine on walls in entry. Add a foyer table in silver finish. And a sunburst mirror over it, to lighten it up.
August 7, 2013 at 10:42am        Thanked by tasihagisavas
tasihagisavas
@mforr; everyone seems to love your picks. Can you please send me the names of these two? Thanks so much!
August 7, 2013 at 5:21pm     
mforr
Well, good news and bad news. I found both, but one is actually a stencil. I'm sorry I let that slip by me, but I'll give you info anyway. If you really would like to impress people, especially the ladies, tell them you did the wall all by yourself. Of course, it may take you a year or two to finish on such a long wall. ;)
August 7, 2013 at 5:47pm   
mforr
All the others are wallpapers. Whew. :)
August 7, 2013 at 5:58pm   
travisinteriors
The one on left is best. Hope that is wall paper. Do you have Lowes? They have some nice wall paper books. Go to contemporary then black metallic. Should find what you need.
August 7, 2013 at 6:11pm     
mforr
The one with red chair is the stencil
August 7, 2013 at 6:17pm        Thanked by tasihagisavas
tasihagisavas
Oh bummer. The wallpaper is not available anywhere :(
August 7, 2013 at 6:34pm   
mforr
How about something like this? Black and silver
August 7, 2013 at 7:03pm        Thanked by tasihagisavas
mforr
Also, silver leaf, or really faux silver leaf would be pretty cool. And you could do it on any color paint background. They do sell silver leaf look wallpaper too. Less work.
August 7, 2013 at 7:05pm   
mforr
August 7, 2013 at 7:07pm   
mforr
If you did your own silver leaf, you could paint the background the aqua/teal in your wallpaper sample at top of dilemma ( the curvy one you're returning) :)
August 7, 2013 at 7:09pm   
tasihagisavas
@mforr, these options look interesting. How do you feel about this one? Too played out?
August 7, 2013 at 7:24pm   
mforr
Yeah, definitely too played out. :(
August 7, 2013 at 7:32pm     
cani
I like this one, especially if you are only doing an accent wall. http://www.houzz.com/Silver-and-black-wallpaper/p/8
August 7, 2013 at 7:38pm      Thanked by tasihagisavas
cani
Sorry, I thought it would only show the paper I was referring to. It is the Sean Michael Design, Eclectic Foyer, just a black stripe.
August 7, 2013 at 7:41pm   
mforr
How about this, American blind and wallpaper
August 7, 2013 at 7:43pm     
mforr
These are also american blind and wallpaper Amy butler
August 7, 2013 at 7:50pm   
mforr
Same info, just different numbers for different colors (Amy butler)
August 7, 2013 at 7:51pm   
mforr
This could be kind of interesting, also available through American blind and wallpaper, comes in other colors
August 7, 2013 at 8:00pm     
tasihagisavas
hi @mforr, i already have a tree wallpaper in the accent wall of the bedroom. this would be overkill :(
August 7, 2013 at 8:05pm     
mforr
Gotcha, here's a few more, they are getting more expensive. Same website, American blind and wallpaper.
I'll check back tomorrow, have a good night. :)
August 7, 2013 at 8:23pm   
mforr
More
August 7, 2013 at 8:24pm     
mforr
More
August 7, 2013 at 8:24pm   
mforr
Last
August 7, 2013 at 8:25pm   
bluenan
I'm going to throw another bid in for grasscloth. There's always the possibility that these bold patterns may become tiresome rather quickly. Here's a paper that combines grasscloth with a pattern in a more subdued graphic. It's expensive, but what class! http://mytwodesigners.com/p-2693-kravet-gridlock-grasscloth-double-roll-wallpaper-in-charcoal.aspx
August 8, 2013 at 5:41am        Thanked by tasihagisavas
tasihagisavas
Ant of these? Feel free to send more suggestions guys....
August 8, 2013 at 5:55am     
tasihagisavas
or any these?
August 8, 2013 at 5:56am     
tasihagisavas
or these?
August 8, 2013 at 5:56am     
tasihagisavas
@bluenan, thanks! its really nice but too rich for my blood...
August 8, 2013 at 5:58am   
RosemaryR
You're driving yourself crazy!
August 8, 2013 at 5:59am   
tasihagisavas
Rosemary, you are right....... Im going absolutely nuts. I just want to pick this and get on with more interesting things; like picking furniture for my audio equipment. This is hard!
August 8, 2013 at 6:06am     
Maison Pompeii Antiques and Interiors
It does not matter if you are straight, gay or both or???? If you like the paper then use it as it reflects who you are and your taste. The items you pair with it will make the room go in the direction you are looking to go. Use masculine accents and a large masculine mirror for example. Good luck!
August 8, 2013 at 6:09am     
Amy Stanley
I agree to stay away from the floral if you want the wall to scream "straight guy" though I don't personally think a touch of femininity in a space will define you . The gray does stay with your color theme from what I can see in the kitchen but honestly from the first paper I get a sense you were looking for some color on that wall now it seems you have strayed from that- sexuality aside were you originally hoping for a splash of color on that wall?
August 8, 2013 at 6:25am   
tasihagisavas
@Amy Stanley, Originally I intended for the wallpaper to give me an opportunity to have an accent color; in the previous case aqua. Then I would have accent pillows/accessories with that color all over the apartment. Ultimately I realized that if i kept the wallpaper interesting, yet neutral, then I could change up the accent color with some regularity by adding for instance a painting with that color, and accessorizing accordingly. This would allow me to freshen up the look of the apartment every time i got tired of it, without being stuck to aqua.
August 8, 2013 at 6:31am     
tasihagisavas
Hi again everyone. Since you are all nice enough to give me suggestions, let me give you more information on the space. In addition to the pictures of the floors and table and actual wall, below is a fireplace stone wall which will hold my 80 inch TV which is currently being constructed. In addition, the space has a black barn door which separates the sleeping area (its the same wall we are wallpapering). Lastly, I have bought 2 pieces of furniture; a dark gray couch from pottery brown (pictured below but it looks darker in person), and i bought an aluminum coffee table from restoration hardware (also pictured below). So there you have it; you guys now know everything! Hope this helps! All suggestions are GREATLY appreciated! You guys are the best :)
August 8, 2013 at 6:43am     
Amy Stanley
Very true- I was just making sure that was the direction you were headed and that you were not changing your preference based on fear of being labeled gay. Are you drawn more to stripes or a geometric print- I think determining that first will help you narrow down some of these options.

Love your fireplace and furniture pieces- after seeing the elements I feel like the geometric paper would compete with that fireplace-
August 8, 2013 at 6:50am   
mforr
Love the paper with the ladder in picture and the one next to it with vertical lines pictured with dining table with runner.
August 8, 2013 at 6:51am   
mforr
Hahaha, tasihagisavas, I think you opened up a can of worms with your dilemma title. Guys, he just wants to know if that paper was too feminine, and it was. He definitely wants something cool that makes a great statement and he can decorate around with almost any color.. Looks more likely he loves a bit of geometric and maybe some stripe, but not a basic stripe. :)
August 8, 2013 at 6:54am   
RosemaryR
You could always paint it in chalkboard paint and draw your own "wallpaper" on it or have your friends draw wallpaper then when you got bored, you could just erase it and start over - lol. Whatever you decide, it will be the right choice, go with your gut, it's only an accent wall, it can be changed. You'll need a vacation when you're done from exhaustion.
August 8, 2013 at 7:25am     
Amy Stanley
I love the idea of wallpaper that looks like concrete!
August 8, 2013 at 7:48am     
travisinteriors
I think he has enough wallpaper looks. Now he has to find a good price. It's a small area should cost that much. Wall paper hangers charge by the tool. Usually painter can hang paper, but not always. Can do yourself. Get some one to help and get pre pasted. You just dip in water tray and hang. If a pattern it gets tricky, but not impossible. Don't buy real expensive paper once it's up, all looks good. There are deals, shop.
August 8, 2013 at 11:45am     
Yes. This one. I would put it on your wall, but I can't get a suitable image to work with.
August 8, 2013 at 12:08pm     
tasihagisavas
Hey, I'm still open for ideas but I did order a wallpaper from HomeDepot.com where I know I can always return it if i change my mind or find something better. I chose the one Quantum black and silver wallpaper that mforr suggested. Not sure if it's too dark....hopefully it works out. I'm having a painter install it As for wallpapers, most are priced pretty reasonably except for the ones my fancy girl bluenan suggested (jk). I did want to ask; is there a way to instruct my painter to install it which will cause minimal damage to the wall in case i ever wanna change it up? Thanks!
August 8, 2013 at 12:09pm     
travisinteriors
Good job on paper
August 8, 2013 at 12:17pm     
travisinteriors
Make sure you like it, before you put up. It's dark, but sexy. Believe me it will work. All wallpaper can be removed, usually there is no damage to walls, don't worry.
August 8, 2013 at 12:19pm        Thanked by tasihagisavas
travisinteriors
Love the fireplace, love the sectional. And Restoration is the best place to buy. Coffee table very unique. Glad you are stepping out of the box, and not going the usual stuff. I love it. Sec will have to float in living room facing TV. It looks like you have rm for 2 chairs. I would go swivel, for TV use. In fabric with a gray background and a print with some color. With grays, yellow, teal, turquoise all all good accent colors. Just a small amt is all you need. Area rug, 8 x10 in a graphic design, (acts like art on the floor)or a silver metallic shag would add texture. Z Galleries is a store you should check out, for furn bedding and accessories. Keep the same color going throughout loft.
August 8, 2013 at 12:28pm        Thanked by tasihagisavas
Hmmmm, a new design trend...straight wallpaper and/or gay wallpaper.
August 8, 2013 at 12:46pm     
mforr
You should have painter put a coat of sizing on wall first!!!!!!!! This makes it easy to remove the next time.
IMPORTANT STEP. Do not skip it!!!!! :)
August 8, 2013 at 12:57pm     
tasihagisavas
Ah OK! Very using tip! mforr saves the day again!
August 8, 2013 at 1:09pm     
mforr
Wll, if I can't be your fancy girl, I can be your useful one ;)
August 8, 2013 at 1:11pm      Thanked by tasihagisavas
octoberjamie
Hi! I would paint horizontal stripes. Super easy and would make the space seem longer. I would do two very similar colors - one matte and one high gloss. It adds texture and looks very cool!!
August 8, 2013 at 1:33pm     
bluenan
Ahhh, so much fun to design flirt with a good lookin' young straight guy!!! Who knew wallpaper could be such a chick magnet?!
August 8, 2013 at 1:51pm        Thanked by tasihagisavas
mforr
Bluenan, you're a little minx :)
August 8, 2013 at 2:39pm        Thanked by tasihagisavas
bluenan
As they say,"I may be old, but I'm not dead!";)
August 8, 2013 at 2:47pm     
mforr
Here's some different ones from ferm living
August 8, 2013 at 4:51pm      Thanked by tasihagisavas
mforr
More
August 8, 2013 at 4:52pm   
mforr
More
August 8, 2013 at 4:52pm   
Hung your wallpaper and cleaned up a bit.
August 8, 2013 at 5:36pm        Thanked by tasihagisavas
HI -- You are getting lots of ideas -- maybe too many ,huh ! But just wanted to show you what I was saying before . muralunique.com -- and look at textures . I think a wall done with one of these will make you a "cool" straight guy !!!
August 8, 2013 at 6:59pm   
tasihagisavas
groveraxle, thanks so much! you're the best. Does that work everyone?
August 8, 2013 at 8:15pm     
RosemaryR
Love it, it's going to be fabulous.
August 8, 2013 at 10:04pm   
mforr
Love the drama of it. Does it work for you?
August 9, 2013 at 3:29am   
sellis854
The wallpaper is beautiful and would definitely appeal to the ladies. Paint would be better and a beautiful mirror on the wall.
August 9, 2013 at 4:07am   
OK, I'll admit I got a little carried away. I only intended to get rid of that thing on the far wall and then realized that a new light fixture was in order, and from there it was only a small hop to the art and the mirror and the $12,000 Knoll credenza. Sorry about that.
August 9, 2013 at 5:06am     
I would add your actual dining table and chairs but, unfortunately, my program doesn't move furniture. This explains why I chose such an expensive sideboard: it was oriented the right way. I'm sure you can find something suitable much cheaper, but you'll have to move it yourself.
August 9, 2013 at 5:08am     
mforr
Looks great groveraxle, love the expensive sideboard, good inspiration for an affordable one. You have to love hidden storage too :)
August 9, 2013 at 5:16am   
bluenan
Yes, looks great, especially with the lighter elements to break up the expanse of dark. Thanks for the visual groveraxle!
August 9, 2013 at 5:58am   
teebabee
Groveraxle, you are amazing. Could you create the same magic for my horrid space? I'll post in another forum for you so as not to distract from the work everyone is doing here.
August 9, 2013 at 7:20am   
I followed lefty's link and found two I think you should consider before you actually hang the Home Depot rolls: http://muralunique.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=31_34

Concrete and metal:
August 9, 2013 at 7:20am     
@teebabee, I'll do my best. Sometimes I hit, sometimes miss, so no promises.
August 9, 2013 at 7:21am   
teebabee
Take a look at my design delimma discussion and please tell me what you think about the fireplace area and what I could do about my space to make it more modern. Search "Need help for my basement space/lounge"

Any help is greatly appreciated :-)
August 9, 2013 at 7:28am     
bluenan
Those mural papers are cool, but though it is a loft, tasihagisavas' space with the stacked stone and white kitchen doesn't read "industrial" to me.
August 9, 2013 at 7:41am     
bluenan
teebabee, please don't highjack this thread, it's very easy to start your own dilemma. Thanks!
August 9, 2013 at 7:43am     
teebabee
Sorry bluenan, I thought it would be in it's own thread...my bad...trying to figure it out. Carry on (LOL)!
August 9, 2013 at 7:44am     
tasihagisavas
guys; I really like groveraxl's design with the more industrial concrete look. OK now i'm super confused but also excited! What to do....what to do....
August 9, 2013 at 8:06am     
bluenan
I'm going to throw another idea into the mix, just what you need, right?! Have you thought of using a metallic paint? My example shows a paint by Ralph Lauren. The link is to a video that explains the proper application.
http://www.ralphlaurenhome.com/products/paint/HowTo/regentmetallics.aspx

August 9, 2013 at 8:20am     
bluenan, I disagree, The living area has a barn door and a trunk coffee table. I think the industrial touch here would work well. Maybe a side-by-side view will help with the decision.
August 9, 2013 at 8:20am     
mforr
One of the ferm wallpapers is concrete strips look
It's very industrial, is that something you'd like? I love the juxtaposition of high end slick against concrete or salvaged wood. Maybe groveraxle would try my wallpaper or one that looks like salvaged timber ?
August 9, 2013 at 8:21am   
mforr
Think I like the concrete better
August 9, 2013 at 8:22am     
gcontreras901
Yes I'm a wallpaper hanger it is great accent wall
August 9, 2013 at 8:25am     
bluenan
I may get flack for this, but it seems a bit contrived to take a loft space with finished walls and then put a wallpaper up to make it look like a loft with concrete walls.
August 9, 2013 at 8:43am     
mforr
True, but it does look pretty good in the mock up. Maybe I'm just liking the lighter color on the wall? Perhaps trying a patterned wallpaper in lighter color would be good. Still should be "out of the ordinary" though :)
August 9, 2013 at 9:10am   
mforr
What about this one? It's very different from any of the others. Ferm
August 9, 2013 at 9:13am   
mforr
Pattern might be too small, would probably just read as horizontal skinny stripe
August 9, 2013 at 9:14am   
tasihagisavas
I agree with mforr, maybe it's the lighter color. Makes the space look larger. The apt is only 740 square feet to begin with; albeit with high 14 foot ceilings. But the concrete wall is speaking to me...
I already have stone installed on that fireplace wall, a massive barn door stained in black (its 8 feet tall by 5 feet wide), and that aluminum coffee table from restoration hardware.
As for my view, its of the water looking out to Manhattan. That's a pretty big part of the apartment as there are 10 foot windows. Did I mention I have an 80 inch TV?!? So there's a lot of randomness going on.

I spoke to the guy who makes the wallpaper. It's actually a very high resolution picture which he himself prints into wallpaper. There's no texture to the paper - completely smooth but looks so lifelike that people feel the need to touch just to make sure. Traditional wallpaper is classier, this is cooler. I'm torn.
August 9, 2013 at 9:18am     
mforr
Well, you're not alone there, I'm a bit torn too. They both look very cool, but I like the open feeling I get when I look at the lighter wall. I think that lighter will let you appreciate the view and the other things in loft, plus the black barn doors will really stand out then.
August 9, 2013 at 9:33am      Thanked by tasihagisavas
travisinteriors
Groveraxle, love the murals, great idea. The metal one would work. Good job.
August 9, 2013 at 9:42am        Thanked by tasihagisavas
travisinteriors
Don't be afraid to mix it up in design. It's a loft, treat it like one. Step outside the box. I know you can. I saw the coffee table you got. You have a good eye, trust yourself. In the end it's what you want. We can only suggest.
August 9, 2013 at 9:45am        Thanked by tasihagisavas
tasihagisavas
So I canceled my home depot order. If I do decide to go with a more traditional wallpaper, it would have to be lighter. I think the concrete idea is pretty fun. And the wallpaper is removable/reusable.
I'm gonna take an hour to mull it over but I might go with that...
August 9, 2013 at 9:55am     
Well, I am not one bit confused. I like the concrete far more than any of the designs and I think it fits the space. (And mforr, if you're wondering why I haven't hung your wallpaper, it really is a lot harder than I thought. In some cases, it's quite impossible.)
August 9, 2013 at 10:00am        Thanked by tasihagisavas
mforr
I know groveraxle, I'm not wondering. You're very kind to do this for the poster. I know he appreciates it very much, as do I. It's always better to get a visual. That's why I try to post pics that are already in rooms when I can. Much easier than just showing pattern and leaving it to poster to figure out the dimensions. :)
Hi Travis :)
August 9, 2013 at 10:05am     
tasihagisavas
I appreciate all of your help very much! If any of you are in the NY area, I'd love to thank you in person! For the rest of you, I'll post a picture of the space in case anyone is interested.
August 9, 2013 at 10:13am     
travisinteriors
I may be coming to New York in the fall with my husband. I used to live there long ago. But now I'm back home in So California. Would love to see how it all came together. I work off my phone while I'm suppose to be doing other work. So can only see small pics. Best of luck in your new place. I'm totally jealous.
August 9, 2013 at 10:26am     
travisinteriors
Hi mforr, hope all is well. Great suggestions as always.
August 9, 2013 at 10:28am     
tasihagisavas
Let me know travisinteriors! Would love to thank you in person and you can check out the space.
August 9, 2013 at 11:24am     
tasihagisavas
OK so I ordered the concrete mural. (Sorry bluenan! I'll class it up somehow, I promise!). So what a journey! I went from being a feminine man with floral wallpaper on Tuesday, to becoming a man among men with concrete wallpaper by Friday. Even managed to grow some hair on my chest. This was truly a coming of age story. I'm gonna sell the screen rights to this and demand that A-List actors/actresses are cast to play bluenan, mforr, travisinteriors and groveraxle :)
August 9, 2013 at 11:28am     
katalinka
After reading the whole thread, Tasi, we ALL want an invite....just kidding. Great intro to catch people's interest! Good luck making the final selection.
August 9, 2013 at 11:38am     
katalinka
LOL, tasi!! At the very least you should be able to get your own reality show!!
August 9, 2013 at 11:39am     
mforr
I can't wait to see it, you'd better post pics, and a young sigourney weaver can play me :)
August 9, 2013 at 11:59am     
tasihagisavas, it'll be classy, trust me. With the barn door and the stone fireplace and dark wood floor, it already is. But, you owe us photos of the space when it's done...or along the way, if you'd like advice on anything else. It's the least you can do. ;-) (And mforr, Sigourney Weaver is too old for you. She'd be better playing ME.)
August 9, 2013 at 12:16pm     
mforr
I'll play the slightly younger version of her then. I wish it were the much, much younger version of her, but I'll take what I can get. ;)
August 9, 2013 at 12:22pm   
tasihagisavas
I PROMISE to post pictures! Like you said, its the least i can do and would love to hear what you guys think of the real deal and where I can use some tweaks :) Thanks a million!
August 9, 2013 at 12:32pm     
Robyn
great place, great views, can't wait to see it finished!
August 9, 2013 at 2:11pm   
bluenan
OMG, I just got home and read through everything that's happened since I've been gone! There have been decisions made, invitations made, and I'm now mulling over who should play me on the big screen! I agree wholeheartedly about the lighter tone of the wallpaper vs. the dark and I concede that a concrete wall mural in a young good looking straight guy's loft will be pretty darn cool. No doubt, tasihagisavas, you will class it up. Now back to the actor's guild...
August 9, 2013 at 2:11pm     
travisinteriors
Pretty funny. You guys rock...
August 9, 2013 at 2:22pm     
liquidsunshine13
jamie lee curtis sitting on a couch, drinking a glass of wine & reading this thread works for me -
August 9, 2013 at 6:28pm     
peetabread, I don’t think that tasihagisavas means to be rude. I am under the impression that his posting he is “straight” and looking for wallpaper makes it clear to us he does not us to think him “gay”. Although I do not know why. Who cares?

However, I am amazed that in this day and age, anyone would think sexual orientation would influence houzzers’ recommendations.

It is possible, however, that a gay gentleman reading this post, may be unsure of the intent. And that, then, surely, that indeed would be rude.

And, a big hooray to all the famous designers, who have influenced generations of decorators,
and were gay.
August 10, 2013 at 10:14am   
mforr
I don't think that's what they meant. :)
August 10, 2013 at 10:50am   
Sustainable Dwellings
Straightguy; why not look to Ralph Lauren for classic ideas.
August 10, 2013 at 11:00am   
judyg, it's funny how things get misunderstood in an online forum. I think peetabread was saying you were being rude (though I didn't see any rudeness on anyone's part). And I also think the original posting--straight guy seeks...--was a take off on those personal ads, a way to get attention among thousands of design dilemmas clamoring to be read. And I, too, could be wrong about all of that.
August 10, 2013 at 11:01am        Thanked by tasihagisavas
mforr
I don't think you're wrong at all groveraxle, I'm quite sure that's what tasihagisavas was doing with his title. And I also think that's what peetebread was implying. :)
August 10, 2013 at 11:18am   
Sue Harris
Wow! For one, you have great taste! I may have entered late in the game and my choices already eliminated the vertical stripes but two of my faves are the wide verticle stripe with chocolate and turquoise, and then 2 days ago you posted a gray/cream rock pattern (along with a houndstooth and another pattern). Those two are fabulous, have a variety of was to accent different colors ! The are masculine without being too overpowering and are very versatilie. Just my opinion but great taste, very impressive!
August 10, 2013 at 11:20am     
travisinteriors
I don't understand the drama, on the fact that poster used "straight guy". He was trying to get people to look at his post. And it worked. Why are some people hung up on this?? Like I have said many times before. " It's a design site" it's for fun, and entertainment. As well as helpful hints on design. It's not Facebook.
August 10, 2013 at 11:30am     
groveraxle, , yes, I got it, and had a good laugh. Straightguy has three posts going on at the same time, and he is a straightguy on all three.

travis, nothing starts drama more than a snarky dig. And I disagree. Houzz indeed can mimic Facebook.

I take offense, (and I’ll wager I am not the only one reading this post,) at anyone’s indicating that straight is incompatible with gay when it comes to design or anything else for that matter.

It is no different from race. Replace “straight” with “White”. How would you be responding to that?

None of this belongs on houzz, ever...”no fun and entertainment here”.
August 10, 2013 at 12:10pm   
August 10, 2013 at 12:17pm     
Adrianne
Kidding.. girls don't like competition.. Love the grays!! Mforr has it..
I wouldn't do damsk.. (the original photo you posted) too floral.
August 10, 2013 at 12:23pm     
mforr
Adrianne, too funny.
They all should be named after former First Ladies, Mamie and Nancy for example?
Why not make it completely un PC ;)
August 10, 2013 at 12:47pm   
Adrianne
lines symbolize movement.
Zig zag.. is something to get the heart pumping and add interest
Lineal adds length and associated with aspiration (because you look up)
Curvy lines are associated with femininity
Horizontal lines are peaceful and are associated with the horizon (not a horizon in Utah.)
Horizontal lines are also associated with masculinity.
Herringbone is associated with mens suits..

Man zone... horizontal lines, herringbone.. grays, browns, rich blues, studded leather, mechanical lighting..
Emperador Dark granite with gray walls
Europeo bedrooms
Black and White
Bill Bolin Photography - Christy Blumenfeld Architecture
Hyde Park Loft
The Front Door / Dwayne Carruth
Brown Leather Armchair
1900s Machinist Sconce | Wall | Restoration Hardware
Ethan Adjustable Tripod Floor Lamp by Dimond
Royal Marine Tripod Floor Lamp | Restoration Hardware
Peacock Alley Standard Herringbone Sham
Marble Chinese Emperador Dark
August 10, 2013 at 12:48pm     
Adrianne
Mforr.. funny LOL I had bunnies and named them after pin up girls.. Marilyn & Betty.. soo off topic
August 10, 2013 at 12:51pm     
mforr
:)
August 10, 2013 at 12:54pm   
bluenan
Judyg, I find it interesting that in this entire thread you have not made one real design suggestion yet on several occasions made what I have taken as snarky remarks playing the straight vs. gay card. The rest of us were having fun helping the poster, and at no one's expense I might add. Suddenly this thread took a turn as it was plunged into a rather one sided debate on the political correctness of the design dilemma. "Replace straight with white"...relax girl, there's no need for a soap box here, that's unless it's beautifully hand-carved
mahogany.
August 10, 2013 at 2:16pm        Thanked by tasihagisavas
mforr
Bluenan, I have an antique Pears Soap box, it's also rather lovely, though not hand carved or mahogany. May I bring it to the reveal party?
August 10, 2013 at 2:33pm     
mforr
;)
August 10, 2013 at 2:34pm   
mforr
I'll bet you thought I was trying to diffuse the situation with a bit of stupid humor, and yes, I was. But not completely, I really do have my own "soapbox" to climb on. I really like it, so I hope that won't be necessary ;D
August 10, 2013 at 2:47pm     
mforr
See?
August 10, 2013 at 2:48pm   
bluenan
Love it!
August 10, 2013 at 4:19pm     
HI -- @bluenan --- I cannot get Ralph Lauren metallic paints anymore at least not in Canada -- it has some thing harmful in it and was told it is no longer available . Now tasi -- love the choice of going with the concrete look - perfect with your furniture . OK - now fellow Houzzers -- Geezzzz . Lighten up -- we are done now I hope ? I "was" having fun , now I'm done ! Bless you all !
August 10, 2013 at 7:25pm     
bluenan
Interesting news about the Ralph Lauren metallic paint, Lefty. I guess we don't have to worry about that now that the choice has been made. He's really happy and excited about the concrete paper and that's all anyone wanted. I agree it was fun, but I too am outta here. Buh bye!
August 10, 2013 at 7:49pm     
Well, bluenan, you and I have been on several discussions over the past months. And if I have not necessarily agreed with your suggestions, I have always respected your input and would never think to criticize your suggestions or comments. So, I guess your remarks above about “mounts” gets a pass, then. Wow.

I will continue to stand my ground. Never should identification of a poster be introduced by his or her sexual orientation, race or religion. It is totally inappropriate and ignorant. There is no reason why this poster could not have identified himself (on three posts) as simply “a guy”.

Truly, you have surprised me. :>(
August 10, 2013 at 7:50pm   
Natalie
Hi---what an interesting thread.
Your space is terrific and the furnishings you've purchased are perfect. I would have opted for a wallpaper with curves---BUT--- I'm late. :)
Anyway, good luck with your new home. Looking forward to pics. CheerS!
]
August 10, 2013 at 8:03pm        Thanked by tasihagisavas
mforr
This should be given a rest.
August 10, 2013 at 8:04pm   
mforr
Natalie, love the Phillip Jeffries grasscloth, texture is beautiful
August 10, 2013 at 8:08pm     
tasihagisavas
OK so it's not right that the person who started this mess (me) would just sail off into the sunset while other people have to defend him. The truth is, I was away from my computer the last couple of days and am shocked at all this back and forth.

It's clear to everyone that I didn't mean to offend anyone by describing myself as "Straight Guy". I could have easily described myself as "Single Guy" because i am, indeed, single. Would that have upset you as well? Would that mean I was taking a dig at all the married folks? I even considered "Greek Guy", because I'm also Greek. Would that have offended the Germans? Italians? People from more fiscally conservative cultures?

Bottom line is, whatever I did....it worked. I made some new friends and got some AMAZING advice. I'm ecstatic with the choice that all these great people helped me make. I was nervous and confused; now I'm excited. Who could ask for anything more?

I'm still not sure why describing myself as "straight" is controversial. But if controversy does in fact lead to such amazing results, then keep your eyes peeled for my next post, "Man who HATES puppies needs rug advice!"

(Thanks again everyone!)
August 10, 2013 at 8:23pm     
mforr
Hahahahahahahahaha, that would truly be awesome, hopefully not so titillating to some that it upsets them. That's great, please, please, please let me get involved with that one. ;D
August 10, 2013 at 8:27pm   
tasihagisavas
I actually do need rug advice. I bought a rug early on in my search, but with my style taking such a drastic turn for the cooler, it doesn't work anymore I'm pretty sure (old rug below). You guys know the floors, and the couch, and the couch would be facing the fireplace. Oh screw it, I'm starting a new post. stay tuned...
August 10, 2013 at 8:32pm     
mforr
Put new post name here so I can find it. I love looking for rugs even more than wallpaper, I'll be in heaven, lol
August 10, 2013 at 8:35pm        Thanked by tasihagisavas
tasihagisavas
Oh! Back on the topic of wallpapers, I need help on where to end the wallpapering! So here are actual pictures of the accent wall i intend to wallpaper. As you can see, it wraps around to the doorway of the bathroom. Would I wallpaper that wall as well? OR stop at the corner.
ALSO, as you can see, there is a black trim on the accent wall. Will that ruin the look of the concrete wallpaper? What should i do with that?
August 11, 2013 at 2:44am     
mforr
Would wallpaper to the corner, paint trim the same color as wallpaper or remove. Removing would make it look like its really concrete wall, or you could put a big piece of timber on top to look more warehouse loft like. Or something metallic.
August 11, 2013 at 7:14am     
NO trim. Remove it and do not replace it. Keep it simple. Paper the whole front face of the wall including that little vertical strip to the ceiling and end at the corner.

BTW, Grover and Daisy are quite miffed that I'm still speaking to you. It will require major dog treats to get back in their good graces.
August 11, 2013 at 7:32am        Thanked by tasihagisavas
Adrianne
That concrete wall picture has my suggested floor lamp.. it might be a must

August 11, 2013 at 1:34pm        Thanked by tasihagisavas
Amy Butler
You might want to go with a large vinyl wall decal of an interest of yours...when it's appeal wanes you can peel it off and do something more trendy later. wall paper is horrible to remove should you change your mind later!!
August 11, 2013 at 1:52pm   
mforr
Which paper are you talking about Serra? The stencil with the red chair in the foreground? I posted that and I don't post gag images. Is there a different one that you mean?
August 12, 2013 at 2:54pm   
mforr
Is this the one you meant?
August 12, 2013 at 2:55pm   
mforr, don't worry about it. I don't think Serra read the whole thread, and what he "knows in his parts" is just supposition and irrelevant here.
August 12, 2013 at 4:21pm     
7768
Fun thread! I love the two arched mirrors! Like the concrete wallpaper, didn't find the source for it though because the thread is so long. I think this self stick barn wood wallpaper would be good in your loft somewhere. http://www.designyourwall.com/store/Rustic-Self-Stick-wood-wallpaper-200x2813-pr-1816.html
August 12, 2013 at 4:42pm     
7768
Here is a pic of the wallpaper. PS I like your rug!
August 12, 2013 at 4:44pm     
mforr
Hahaha, groveraxle, you still slay me!!! Lol. Thanks
August 12, 2013 at 4:47pm   
mforr
He might have apologized for it. Hmmmmph. :)
August 12, 2013 at 6:34pm   
nikawareham
Jcpenneys actually carries that ombre type rug and I believe it was $300. I would've kept the dark wallpaper and just got a really bright light big piece of artwork for that wall. Just my two cents.
August 13, 2013 at 8:21pm   
Essentia Interior Design
I think you could work with this wallpaper! black furnishings would go really well and dark timber, I would also pick up the blue teal colour for accessories. Use furniture with straight lines to balance the pattern on the walls.
August 13, 2013 at 11:38pm   
travisinteriors
Ok saw table not crazy for bench. Chairs on each side. Tale is small. But to scale for room. A chrome industrial light would work over dining table. Chairs in fabric or leather Pier One has them or world market. A light color to bring n some light with cement wallpaper. Which I like more and more.
August 19, 2013 at 8:05pm        Thanked by tasihagisavas
tasihagisavas
Thanks Travis. I'm feeling more optimistic. Just gotta get art and chairs and i think we may have a shot here!
August 19, 2013 at 8:16pm     
7768
Sounds like you already know what you will do???????
August 20, 2013 at 5:55am   
Straight guy seems Wallpaper help!
I'm a single straight guy moving into a loft studio...
Please Help! Young Couple seek bathroom renovation HELP!!!
We recently took our old shower tile down. The tile...
Help with Kitchen and Den Straight out of 70's
Our new house has been nearly untouched for 30+ years,...
help!!! single guy needs help choosing paint colors!!!!
All the walls are white..fireplace too.furniture is...
Seeking advice for the kitchen... Please help!!
I just moved into a home that has a beautiful kitchen,...
Help with my living room
Hi everyone who can help. This is my third time putting...
Paint color for cherry wood floors
Help!!! I'm having paint commitment issues! Trying...
Need help fr selecting a right color for my room
Hello!! Cn u plzz sujst me sum colors as i wanna...
Red brick ranch update help needed please!
I am *not* good at design stuff, so I would love some...
New home, ceiling for master bath
The plan calls for a groin vault and barrel ceiling...