Cabico vs Shiloh cabinets -- why a $8K price difference?
ramatadiallo
We are looking at kitchen cabinets for an addition. I've gotten estimates from 2 KDs, one for cabico espresso cabinets, the other for shiloh cabints. Both are full overlay. The shiloa are approximately $8K more ($14K vs. $22K). Is there really that much of a quality difference between these 2 brands? Is it worth it? Any feedback on either of these 2 manufactures would be much appreciated. Thanks!
Do you have an apples to apples comparison between the materials used for the boxes, doors, and drawers? (i.e. are you sure the materials are the same?). Also, consider getting a quote for fully custom cabinets from a local woodworking firm, if there is one available. When we priced out semi-custom Shiloh cabinets (and one other brand of cabinets whose name I can't remember) from a local KD firm vs what an excellent local woodworking company could build for us out of top materials, it actually came out cheaper to do custom.
August 6, 2013 at 10:50am   
ramatadiallo
I know that they are all plywood cabinets and "solid wood" (i.e., plywood) doors. Beyond that, I am not sure what to ask to make sure I'm comparing apples to apples. Suggestions are welcome!
August 6, 2013 at 10:59am   
ramatadiallo
Forgot to ask, how to I even go about finding a local woodworking company? This whole process has so many options, it's overwhelming.
August 6, 2013 at 11:00am   
I'm not a professional, so I'm hoping they will weigh in, but I know that the thickness of the plywood for the boxes makes a difference in stability (you want "furniture grade" plywood for the boxes), and ideally the top grade of cabinets will have cabinet doors and drawers made of solid wood rather than plywood. I believe the materials used also depend on the style of the door front (flat slab vs Shaker vs raised panel, etc.) and finish.
August 6, 2013 at 11:07am   
We found our woodworking company through a recommendation from an architect, but the Houzz professionals section should list a variety of kitchen-related professionals in your area, including custom woodworking /cabinetry firms.
August 6, 2013 at 11:09am   
leelee
Where are you getting these cabinets? Sometimes the assumption is that the big box stores are cheaper and they're definietly not always less.
August 6, 2013 at 12:01pm   
ramatadiallo
They are from 2 different kitchen designers who run their own companies.
August 6, 2013 at 12:08pm   
Wooden Concepts
A few things to compare:

Material/grade of cabinet boxes (Plywood vs. Particle Board)
Drawer box construction/material (Dovetail Maple vs. Butt-joint plywood)
Drawer Glides/Door Hinges (Does one use softclose hinges/undermount drawer glides?)
Door Style - Solid wood raised panel will be more expensive than recessed panel (Plywood doors are NOT solid wood doors!)
Finish process
Warranty

Please feel free to ask questions to clarify if any of these don't make sense. Where are you located?
August 6, 2013 at 2:38pm   
ramatadiallo
Thanks for the info. What do you mean by finish process? Not sure what to look for on that one.
August 7, 2013 at 9:35am   
Wooden Concepts
Some cabinets have a simple stain or natural finish while others use a multi-step coloring process for a glazed or antiqued look. These premium finishes will usually add around 15% to the price of a standard finish. With that large of a price difference in your bids I would first look at the cabinet construction. (Euro vs. Face frame or plywood vs. particle board) The Cabico cabinets might have been bid with a European style cabinet, meaning they don't have face frames and the Shiloh might have been bid as a faceframe. Your KD should have asked you if you wanted a framed cabinet or a frameless when he/she was going over your cabinet construction options. These are very much apples to oranges comparisons but it would explain the large price difference.
August 7, 2013 at 10:24am   
The price you show and overstocks price is different. Why?
The price you list for a 24 pack is $76.99. When I...
price difference between 7ft tall and 8ft tall window and doors?
My ceiling hieght is 9ft to 10ft. iknow 7ft tall windows...
Why such a drastic difference in price??!
OK I'm looking for some help and advice. I was in the...
Why the price difference?
Love the Daytona 60" cherry vanity. You list for $831....
Don't Let My Dining Room Down!!!!!
Hello! My dining room really wants some help! It has...
Is it much too red?
I wanted red and pink to be the main color of our place. I...
I feel like something is missing.... Need some help!
I feel feel like this bedroom is missing something!...
Comment on the kitchen plan
Hey We recently bought a small house. How to remodel...
Using UK basin with Australian taps?
Are the holes the same size, any advice? Non-monobloc...