Should Kitchen Cabinets and Hardwood Match?
mhidayet
Help! We are building and are stuck. Our kitchen is open to our great room. We plan on the same hardwood for a continuity and gravitate to darker floors. We also like darker cabinets with light granite and walls. What is the rule? Can we do both dark? What's the darkest floor we can go with ? I'm afraid of creating a space that is too dark...
Pamela DeCuir Interior Designs
It would probably be a better balance if your floors were lighter than the cabinets especially if you want to use light granite and wall color.
There really aren't any rules however, dark floors and cabinetry will make a room feel dark and maybe a little gloomy. If you choose to do both dark, then you'll definitely need to beef up the lighting in your space.
Good luck with your project.
August 6, 2013 at 10:04pm   
Through the Woods Fine Wood Floors, Inc.
Get samples of all these materials & shuffle them around until you fall in love! There is no rule.

That being said, very dark floors show dust & dirt, so you might want to go with darker cabinets & a medium floor.
August 7, 2013 at 2:26am     
moonblue
Could you include a skylight or solar tubes? This helped with our dark wood kitchen.
August 7, 2013 at 3:18am   
I agree that the floors throughout the house can be beautiful dark, but don't go too dark. Walnut or chestnut stain should give you a rich, dark look without becoming too difficult to care for, and they will be more timeless. Then you can go for an even darker cabinet in the kitchen if you like. Just make sure you keep other details really light--the counters, the backsplash, the walls, so it doesn't become a cave.
August 7, 2013 at 4:11am     
Ideally the cabinets and flooring don't need to match, but rather provide some contrast between them.
August 7, 2013 at 5:35am   
Barbra Bright Design
The cabinets and the flooring should not match--it's best to have contrast, otherwise it will look like your floor "ate" your cabinets. If they are a similar color, one option is to change the toe kick color--that will trick the eye and provide contrast.

Lastly, I'm not a fan of dark floors. Sure they're beautiful, but they are difficult to maintain--everything shows!
August 7, 2013 at 6:20am   
How to match kitchen table? Should table match cabinets
We have maple cabinets and are having table custom...
New Antique White kitchen cabinets. Should trim match cabinets?
I have an open room concept for my kitchen, dining...
Matching kitchen cabinets with dark oak hardwood flooring
Hi, I am going to have dark oak hardwood flooring...
Hardwood floor color matching kitchen cabinets.
I am not sure what color flooring I should pick to...
Study Update Suggestions
Hi. I am going through my home room by room and updating...
Farmhouse Table, Costal home.....which one would you choose?
This small farmhouse table with a great view. Trying...
need wall color suggestions
Im planning to paint my livingrm walls a color called...
Please help me with my bedroom
So I received so much amazing help with my lounge,...
What can done on the top of car porch
Landscape space above carporch not utilised