Old house help!

audge656August 6, 2013
I just moved into a 40 year old home and it needs a lot of work. I need suggestions for paint color on these walls. Maybe something to accent the wood paneling or can you paint over that? The room is somewhat dark so i need something to brighten it up. I'm not into crazy colors. I'm pretty neutral/earthy. Suggestions??
If you don't want color per se, (paint is usually selected last with furnishings taken into consideration). But, I'd recommend Swiss Coffee. It's a warm white and goes with everything.
2 Likes    Bookmark   August 6, 2013 at 5:53PM
Floors are great.

Add trim to existing woodwork and paint all trim white, including the muntins. Replace the louvered doors, the fan with a chandelier, and show us something in furniture with which you need to incorporate.
2 Likes    Bookmark   August 6, 2013 at 5:56PM
LB Interiors
I would paint the crown, baseboards and door trims white, off white to contemporize it. Soft creamy beige if you want to keep the integrity of an older home. It depends also on your design furnishings preference. Contemporary, transitional or eclectic etc.
    Bookmark   August 6, 2013 at 5:59PM
Here is Darzy’s Swiss Coffee and my white trim and your hardwood floors.
Greenwich Penthouse · More Info
3 Likes    Bookmark   August 6, 2013 at 5:59PM
LB Interiors
The paneled door at the entry and the molding around the door, painted the same color as your wall choice. It will tend to disappear. I feel it is not a focal point of that wall.
    Bookmark   August 6, 2013 at 6:01PM
Sustainable Dwellings
Floors and trim are great! I think area rugs and other articles will help you find your own personal style here.
    Bookmark   August 6, 2013 at 6:03PM
Amy Wax
You have such beautiful floors.. I think being into more earthy colors would be the right choice in this wide open room. I suggest using a color theme for your inspiration. I would choose the lighter colors so-as not to close in the room. The color theme I'm offering you comes from the Color911 app which is an app I created to help people choose colors. It's fun to use and there are several ways to become inspired with different features. What is great about using a color theme is that you can visualize colors that go together and choose colors for everything from wall colors to window treatments to accents. i have taken the app to the paint store and matched the colors I wanted, it's easy to do.I hope this color theme inspires you!
    Bookmark   August 6, 2013 at 6:11PM
audge656
Thanks so much for all your help. Here's a pic of the furniture.
1 Like    Bookmark   August 6, 2013 at 6:15PM
lmedina02
Qqweer0$439&$?,)))()$89$$$$$!??$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$jjj$jjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjmjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjj
    Bookmark   August 6, 2013 at 6:16PM
LB Interiors
Nice furniture and room:)
    Bookmark   August 6, 2013 at 6:30PM
LB Interiors
Maybe add some colorful pillows on the sofa and chair. Window treatments in your new home could use color. Drapery panels that are stationary just for visual balance and finishing for the room.
    Bookmark   August 6, 2013 at 6:32PM
since you have dark leather furniture, try a warm gray paint on the walls if you prime and paint out the wood. something to lower the contrast level - edgecomb gray by ben moore is a good one to test. Or, if you want to keep the wood for now, get a coat of camel on the walls - those w/ yellow undertones like sw macadamia would be classic and neutral and the wood will immediately look 1000 x better.
    Bookmark   August 6, 2013 at 6:48PM
lincolnlover
I would do green and paint a Dover white over the wood and crown molding would be nice
    Bookmark   August 6, 2013 at 6:51PM
audge656
If i use Swiss coffee what do I use on the trim work? That dark wood has to go. Is there another color combo for walls and trim? I really want to use white on trim.
    Bookmark   August 7, 2013 at 11:38AM
I need help with my old aframe house, up stairs bedrooms.
there is no vent for heat from down stairs to get...
jblki1356
Help! I want to update my paint colors on my old 1920's House!
My Roof is Estate Gray and although it rarely snows...
mariannebsteckler
Need help with exterior on old family farm house
Need new roof, windows and down the road siding...Want...
dgulick
Help...Kitchen Remodel for 100+ year old Stucco House: Backsplash
100+ year old Stucco Home Remodel. Truly love the 'Old...
1113fortstockton
New Home, Old House - Master Bedroom Decorating Help Needed!
We just purchased a ranch-style house built in 1958....
ahunt09
Wallpaper for Accent wall in Living/Dining Room
Will this wallpaper look good on the accent wall behind...
pracheeti
Paint Colors
Need help choosing my paint colors. Remodeling, Kitchen,...
czkramer
Need help choosing an area rug for living room!
We recently moved in to the house. We painted the wall...
Natalia Chaparro
Furnishing small living room with piano...help!
Having trouble figuring out layout....couch with chair?...
bossip