Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
elindley

Dark stained hardwood floors...does it show dust and pet hair?

E L
10 years ago
We just purchased a home. We could refinish the oak that is there and stain it to match the new wood flooring we plan to install. What I can't decide on is stain color. My husband wants light and natural. I love the look of the dark coffee-colored stain/finish. However, I have kids, dogs, and dust. Will all of this show? Will I be devoted to a swiffer? My dogs don't shed...if that helps. Thank you!

Comments (11)

• PRO
    Through the Woods Fine Wood Floors, Inc.
    10 years ago
    Yes, darker floors show dust & dirt. Add a little cream to your coffee! Go with a less glossy finish- the more matte the better. That should help too.

Your hardwood flooring professional can help you choose a floor that you will both love. Contact the National Wood Flooring Association for a pro in your area.
    E L thanked Through the Woods Fine Wood Floors, Inc.
  • E L
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I only need to see these two comments! Seriously I love the look of the dark stain but I would go bananas trying to keep up with that dust and I am certain that pawprints and other foot patterns show on it as well. Looks like we are going with a natural finish! We are going to finish the floors ourselves. I love the look of a floor wax but I am being told not to do that. Poly finishes are the toughest and will hold up.
  • Jenny Youngblood
    10 years ago
    I have coffee stained walnut with two Pomeranians and two Persian cats and my very long hair. I see some fur, but not too badly. I use the dust mop thing weekly and that is about it which I don't think is to bad. I am quite happy with my dark hardwoods.
    E L thanked Jenny Youngblood
  • atlawrence03
    10 years ago
    We have espresso flooring and love them. However, we will never have dark flooring again as long as we continue to have dogs. Every hair and foot print shows and we have to sweep twice a day to keep up.
    E L thanked atlawrence03
  • feeny
    10 years ago
    I think a light to medium color for a wood floor is much more practical and timeless.
    E L thanked feeny
  • E L
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thank you for your help with the stain color. We've decided to go with our gut and put a nice natural finish on the wood. Thanks so much!
  • PRO
    Sustainable Dwellings
    10 years ago
    Good luck, and get a really good dust mop.. wide microfiber does wonders!
    E L thanked Sustainable Dwellings
  • wwwjr911
    10 years ago
    Ever consider painting rather than staining? Much broader color palette and quite easily changed if it turns out you dislike the color or results.
    E L thanked wwwjr911
  • E L
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I posted in a different location about using wax instead of a poly and stain. Has anyone ever done this? I am trying to avoid the heavy chemicals and that high polished look of poly. I've read that wax can be maintained very easily where as poly coating a floor requires professional maintanence. I also love the "old" look that goes along with waxing. Thank you!
  • wwwjr911
    10 years ago
    Wax should be used in conjunction with the poly. The wax will wear and need to be retreated periodically, but it protects the poly so you wont have to worry about it.