Can't decide on a rug or drapes. How do I choose a color?
mollyrharris
August 7, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I'm really struggling with deciding on drapes and a rug for my living room. The walls are Benjamin Moore cement gray - they look a little blue'ish, which I wasn't happy about, but decided not to repaint. The trim and ceiling are white, and the couch is dark grey. Other than that, there's no color in the room, except for the burgundy dining chairs. Right now my thinking is to go with grey drapes that are slightly darker than the walls, maybe with an offwhite solar shade. And maybe an off white shag or a wool rug with a modern, light gray design. But I really can't decide. Any input would be welcome!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sondramartina
Your room reminds me of mine and I would go with white drapes. I have tried so many different drapes and white ones were the best. They are semi-shier ,mesh type.
1 Like   August 7, 2013 at 12:02PM
Sara Parker
I'd like crisp white linen almost sheer on the windows, oriental or modern grapic area rug, not too large. Your floor stars!
1 Like   August 7, 2013 at 12:04PM
Brenda
Love your condo. Your mid-century TV console is great!

I would bring a bit more of the red/burgundy from the dining chairs into the living space.

[houzz=
0 Likes   Thanked by mollyrharris    August 7, 2013 at 12:15PM
PRO
PaintColorHelp.com Dallas
I like the base you've established, but I might bring in just a touch of color to spark the room. To me, it's easiest to start with the rug, since you'll have the fewest choices there. Currently there's no pattern, either, so you have some leeway. If you do a solid rug, you can easily accommodate patterned drapes, and vice-versa. You might think about a white drape banded in deep red for subtle introduction of color. Navy or turquoise would also be fine with the dining chairs, though if it's more an oxblood than true burgundy, you can almost treat it as a neutral and add whatever accent color you want (aside from orange).
1 Like   August 7, 2013 at 12:22PM
PRO
Sharon Charboneau, RESA Pro, Interior Stylist
Mollyharris, I like your ideas. You have good taste, go with what you want. Add pops of colour thru art & pillows on your couch.

Grey is a great base colour to work with. Good choices so far. Trust your instincts.
1 Like   August 7, 2013 at 12:22PM
mollyrharris
PaintColorHelp - I would love a rug like the one you posted - where is that from? I'd like just a hint of carrying-through the red from the chairs - so maybe white drapes and a rug like that would be perfect, and then i can accent it further with pillows, etc.

Sharon - Thank you!!! As for art, the main color I'll be bringing in is green, since I'll be using photography that features a lot of trees and grass. Otherwise I expect most of the art will be black and white...
2 Likes   August 7, 2013 at 12:29PM
pennyforyourthoughts
Fluffy flokati rug + solid or modern print simple shades is what I see, but so far so good I agree trust your instinct.
1 Like   March 6, 2014 at 7:18AM
PRO
Shakúff
Yes, you have fantastic style! I love the idea of a patterned rug and then some white drapes to still let that light in while adding some light decor. :)
0 Likes   March 6, 2014 at 9:29AM
decoenthusiaste
Looks like you made a smart choice with the flex sectional - lots of arrangement possibilities. I can see your space getting really dark, so you might lighten with a white rug and curtains. If everyone is adult or there's only one of you, it shouldn't be hard to keep clean.

0 Likes   March 6, 2014 at 9:51AM
PRO
Sharon Charboneau, RESA Pro, Interior Stylist
Black & white art is very classy!!
0 Likes   March 6, 2014 at 2:57PM
Nancy Travisinteriors
Bring in color in the rug. Go a 8x10 in a contemporary print. On windows go a gray woven type fabric. Use a stainless rod. Use accessories in a accent color pick one. Yellow, teal, coral. All work with gray. Put art on walls in bold colors. Hang 7" above furn.
0 Likes   March 9, 2014 at 8:14AM
Nancy Travisinteriors
Just saw this post started in August. Hope you found something.
0 Likes   March 9, 2014 at 8:16AM