Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
landondarr

Need Help ODD LIVING ROOM Bachelor needs help with lay out!!!

landondarr
10 years ago
I have a very odd shaped living room and need help. I am teetering over hiring a designer unless someone here can really help. The problem is TV is placed in wall above fireplace. Door entry blocks a normal U shape layout. If you see where the couch is placed its really uncomfortable to relax and watch TV. The one spot of for this is the big chair in front of TV. Does anyone have layout ideas. I am not partial to current furniture. In fact I want to go with reclining sofas or recliners. Any help I would really appreciate :) Thanks so much.

Comments (12)

• PRO
    Stanton Designs-online design services
    10 years ago
    Your furniture looks like it is too big for this space, sounds like you are up for new furniture. Keeping it small scale is going to be key. If you are thinking of hiring a designer, I do offer online services, and I am located in Illinois, not sure where you are located. I have more information at www.stantondesigns.com
    landondarr thanked Stanton Designs-online design services
  • landondarr
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks a lot for this information. Could you give me an example of small furniture?
  • studio10001
    10 years ago
    A google search of apartment size sofas would show a number of options between 68" &74" to pair w your recliner, as well as small sectionals. Look for straight arms to save space, and consider moving the TV to the right wall to save your neck. Best of luck.
    landondarr thanked studio10001
  • standinginline
    10 years ago
    Is the room where you are standing taking a picture the dining room? Can you add a picture of that area of the room?
    landondarr thanked standinginline
  • landondarr
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Hey! Good Question. Yes it is. I do not use it as a dining room. I have a table in the kitchen.
  • PRO
    Carolyn C. Interior Decorator, Brampton, ON.
    10 years ago
    One thing to consider with reclining furniture is that many models need to sit out from the wall to allow you to recline which could pose a problem in your room.

I think you are making a good decision to have a designer come in and help you with your space. If you are purchasing new furniture it's a great idea to have professional input before you spend a lot of money and possibly end up with not being completely happy with your decisions.

Good luck.
    landondarr thanked Carolyn C. Interior Decorator, Brampton, ON.
  • janroze
    9 years ago
    What another big clunky dark leather sofa? I give up.
  • janroze
    9 years ago
    Sorry, that was not helpful. Start by selecting an area rug with colors you love, including your wall color. Then chose everything else with colors in it. Often a beautiful cobalt blue looks good with your wall color. How about wall away recliners that can be close to something like a wall or door? An alternative would be swivel chairs or recliners that can easily swivel for watching TV. It is difficult to judge size, but it looks like you could fit a swivel chair on each side of FP and pull the love seat much closer, so you can easily navigate that corner.

If this is an "L" shaped living room, you could put another small seating area around the corner and a game/dining table in the end now behind the love seat.
    Put a table (for beverage) and bulkier lamp and shade beside each seat you can.

BTW: If there are windows behind those drapes, put fuller drapes with a pattern there. If not replace hem with a row of art or fill the wall with art.

Re bookshelf: Only keep photos that are especially meaningful to you and your guests, separate them and put them where they can be seen. -
    #1 top shelf nearly full of books, videos etc., statue etc., nearly as tall as shelf space at left
    #2 smaller photo with grape vine ball from hobby shop beside it
    #3 shelf nearly full of books, videos etc., statue etc., nearly as tall as shelf space rt end
    #4 wider photo where it can be seen, next to an amillary sphere
    #5 Box only
    #6 Fill 2/3 full with books or videos
    Good Luck
  • ispoildogs
    9 years ago
    Original post is over a year old.
  • PRO
    Innovative Design Llc
    9 years ago
    Open it up tear out that book shelf think bigger
  • PRO
    Timothy Rivers Interiors
    9 years ago
    Hey there...I am starting a series of blog post in February designed specifically for bachelors. I think the content could help a lot.

The first goes live on February 3, 2015

www.timothyriversinteriors.com/blog

I hope it provides a lot of answers for you..

I think many single guys enjoy the comfort of oversized furniture for comfort but you can find many comfortable pieces without the bulky size. Are you familiar with Joybird?