Front yard gardening layout help please
shirleen
I want to do the front yard as cheaply as possible. Really it means minimal hardscape changes. We live in Southern Ca where weather is nice all year around. I would like to add some type of sitting area in the front...chairs or bench. Just lost of what makes sense. Please throw out any ideas ...want to start in a week..iceberg roses...?
I'd remove all of the oversized boxwood and open that area up for a sitting space. Or Hawthorne? Whatever the bushes are if you remove them the house will feel updated.
August 8, 2013 at 9:49am     
shirleen
Think I should find chairs or benches or chairs to put on grass or try to use pavers and place bench on top of them?
August 8, 2013 at 8:55pm   
2taniya
What a lovely shady yard you have to enjoy. Trim - or replace - the bushes under the bay window on the left. If you are wanting to do things cheaply I would not bother with pavers I would just set things on the grass. You might try several Adirondack chairs in a variety of colors for giggles - or just a grouping of white chairs to keep things stately. An alternative is a classic wooden bench under the tree - it could be white or a wood color. Either the chairs or bench have matching tables for drinks or a large outdoor glass candle holder. 3rd idea is a large timber A frame with a wooden swing attached. Whatever you choose would go under the tree and angled toward the driveway/sidewalk/rosebushes. All of it would look great right on the grass - and be a great place to barefoot it!
August 8, 2013 at 9:09pm     
mcbriec
Agree with removing over-sized hedge which could possibly be replaced with gardenias, new box balls, and possibly some star jasmine which will be fragrant and will have white flowers to go with Icebergs. The front looks way too shady for Icebergs and they would in any event be too large.

I'm assuming you would want to put seating on the right side of the tree near the front porch (can't tell whether it's large enough to have seating on it). Agree with Taniya re using two white adironack or similar kind of chairs with a small table between them. You could put colorful cushions on them for a punch of color.

Before investing in pavers, I might start out with just the (easily moved) furniture below the tree where the grass is probably struggling anyway. If you find that you actually do want to use the space, then could put down a more permanent and expensive surface.
August 8, 2013 at 9:30pm     
shirleen
What other plant options do you think? Do you like the paint color...
August 17, 2013 at 7:12pm   
shirleen
New pics with everything torn out.
August 20, 2013 at 12:54pm   
shirleen
Ideas please
August 20, 2013 at 12:55pm   
2taniya
Off the top of my head - something low like moss roses or green ground cover under the bay window. Do the side windows of the bay open out, crank out? A few small objects on the wide shelf of the window might be attractive - metal yard art or small bird statues or whatever sort of thing you like. I have also seen blue wine bottles (label removed) upside down on flexible stakes that act as color groupings - kind of eye catching. I like the colors of the house. Have you found any furniture you would like for the front yard or are you not going that route?
August 21, 2013 at 11:12am     
hurst visual solutions
I always likes hostas around a tree.. They come back every year. You can mix up different colors or stick with one.. Then, you can add some smaller bushes where old ones were, keep trimmed low and add some color in the front with impatiens... You can decide each year what you want... pink, red, white.. Maybe put in some bulbs so you'll have color at different times, tulips, daffodils.. You should soften the edge of the house with something like a Japanese maple or a sweet bay magnolia... and it smells so good. A bed of hostas with taller day lilies along fence line. Very low maintenance. I don't like the idea of benches unless you plan to use them. Are you filling the space between driveway and house with grass? It's indeed an awkward spot.
August 21, 2013 at 11:30am     
shirleen
Love the ideas! Thank you. hostas do not do well here., so I will keep tree with grass. I am planting Camillas red on each side of bay window..yes they open out and 3 azelas in front os window. I will use white and red roses everywhere else with gardenas and azeleas in white and red throughout. I love the idea of Garden Art.
August 24, 2013 at 12:19pm   
hurst visual solutions
I'm glad you are feeling all the inspiration!!!
August 25, 2013 at 12:45pm   
mousemaker
here's some lilies for inspiration :)
August 25, 2013 at 1:10pm   
mousemaker
and here's one of mine..
August 25, 2013 at 1:12pm   
sara238
I would definitely plant some flowers or other small shrub along the left side of the walkway all the way from the street to the house. It would sharpen up that edge where the grass meets the concrete. Also, I would install path lights on that side as well - but of course that would cost $.
August 25, 2013 at 1:17pm     
Joie de Vivre
Hi Shirleen,
You can definitely make great use of your garden. Because you live in Southern Ca, I think you need furniture that you could easily move it to stay in the shade.
For example, the rolling bench could be a great addition.

Please find bellow the link of the website. Let me know what you think about it. http://www.rollingbenches.com/

Amelie
June 9, 2014 at 1:21pm   
Need landscaping help with plant selection & layout for front yard
We would love landscaping advice for the front yard...
garden and yard confusion!Please help!
My yard is an mess! I don't know how to lay it out....
Need Help for a low-maintenance front yard, Please
I need help to design my front yard. I want a low-maintance...
Need help designing my front yard, Please
I want to keep the grass layout and rocks but want...
Let's play in my LR!
OK, so we moved into this much smaller place over a...
Please critique my floorplan
This will be a 2 stories mountain house. Floor plans...
Ottoman fabric, which one!?!?
Hi! So I'm back with a follow up question now that...
Need help badly!!
Driving my self crazy trying to pick lamps out for...
patio
Do i need to pull permits for patio