Contemporary colors for a beach house

jillerbdAugust 8, 2013
Hi all!! Just bought a condo on the beach and we want to make it contemporary. Picked out some great colors but my tile floor is cream and tan and I'm afraid some of my "cold" colors will not go well with my "warm" floor. Any color suggestions??? Thank you!!!! Attached are a few pics.
Think of the floor as sand and work with the colors you see from the balcony. Sherwin Williams read these shades from the first pic you posted. Maybe the Palm Leaf would be contemporary enough. You didn't post the colors you've been thinking about, but these are what you have - how contemporary can they be taken by adding the right contemporary furniture pieces?
1 Like    Bookmark   August 8, 2013 at 10:29AM
Skyline Window Coverings & Design
Check out this link. They have some nice color combinations for costal design.

http://www.coastalliving.com/homes/decorating/designers-favorite-coastal-paint-colors-00414000076176/page9.html

Good Luck - Chrissy
    Bookmark   August 8, 2013 at 10:31AM
Handy Lock Self Storage
You have quite a good range of color choices for coastal houses, know your tastes,open to various possibilities and add some creativity to make it unique.
    Bookmark   August 8, 2013 at 10:33AM
Amy Stanley
What were you thinking color wise perhaps we could chime in on which colors work- also what do your furnishings look like?
    Bookmark   August 8, 2013 at 10:42AM
eointraynor
Hi there. I think u could do some baby blue some orange and even a little touch of red maybe for pillows on sofa just to add a little vibrancy with colour...
    Bookmark   August 8, 2013 at 10:49AM
jillerbd
Was thinking about these colors... (B Moore)
    Bookmark   August 8, 2013 at 11:49AM
I’d like to throw in BM Stratton Blue in one room, Palladian Blue in another and Hollingsworth Green for one more. All with BM Simply White trim.
Stratton Blue HC-142 by Benjamin Moore · More Info

Palladian Blue Paint | Benjamin Moore · More Info

Bathroom · More Info

Skyline, I like the paint colors you posted. but, I got a chuckle that the designer called BM Milano Red a “Nantucket” red.

Here on Cape and Islands, what we call Nantucket red is really pink.
1 Like    Bookmark   August 8, 2013 at 11:55AM
Pick a shade lighter Than floors. A latte, or muffin Tan by Ben Moore. Lose the verticals. Just gauzy white panels on ends of all windows. Furn, tone on tone, creams, tan, add aqua as a soft accent. Use glass tables. Art should be subdued in aqua s, and a seascape in a natural wood frame is nice. Use sisal rugs or nothing. Don't forget your deck. Follow same colors out there. Use big palms to fill corners. Media for TV low sleek white shiny lacquered . Silver hardware. Big sea shells on coffee table on a mirror tray, add red coral, Z Galleries has a lot of what you need. Just try to stay in the aqua, white and silver for accessories. It will look contemporary beach without the cutesy beach condo look.
3 Likes    Bookmark   August 8, 2013 at 12:05PM
That big wall in pic of entry. Perfect place for a big oil painting 6 x7 ft. Should cover most of the wall hang very low, over furn hang 5-6" above top. Use big mirrors to reflect ocean.
1 Like    Bookmark   August 8, 2013 at 12:10PM
In paint pic above. Don't like the dark blues. keep it light and breezy.
    Bookmark   August 8, 2013 at 12:11PM
anne dee
these are contemporary colours for yr condo
South Beach Condo Remodel · More Info
    Bookmark   August 8, 2013 at 12:13PM
carolins
It also depends on the colour of your furniture. Do you have furniture for your condo already? Choose the furniture first and then the paint colours. Paint can be easily matched to fabrics.

Love the view!
    Bookmark   August 8, 2013 at 12:20PM
KShoa
Warm and cold colors complement each other very well. It's the opposite you should stay away from (too many cold or too many warm colors in the same space).
    Bookmark   August 8, 2013 at 1:50PM
jillerbd
These are also some colors we chose- any thoughts??
1 Like    Bookmark   August 9, 2013 at 3:50AM
linlac
I would do wall and large furniture such as sofa and loveseat a neutral that complements the floor. I would bring the color in through chairs, curtains, pillows, art etc. I bought a beach condo and the builder painted the walls a sand color with white moldings and ceiling. My first thought was to paint but when I went to the furniture stores at the beach I loved all the colors and it made decorating so much easier. I could bring any color combo I wanted in to each room. caitlync's post has some examples of beach colored accessories. Much the same as travisinteriors suggestion which I love. You could tweak it and add as little or as much color as you want. So much fun.
    Bookmark   August 9, 2013 at 5:27PM
designer1721
For your bathroom use just sand and like sea mist accessories or light brown and pale aqua, it appear your colors are all dark. That doesn't resemble beach colors, blues, aquas, sand, white, watery greens. Remember, from the looks of it you have a narrow long room and you want to warm and break up the length. No bulky items (scale to room) no dark colors.
    Bookmark   August 9, 2013 at 5:35PM
Monira J
The living room, I guess a pale grey color you can pop up other colors by adding yellow, red ikat patterned pillows too.
    Bookmark   August 9, 2013 at 5:40PM
wwwjr911
Paint that tile floor white! And don't be afraid to paint that ceiling any of the colors you chose!
    Bookmark   August 9, 2013 at 7:33PM
bostonstyle
My beach house has a cream floor, taupe walls, and beige painted trim. I love the neutrals! I have added blue and taupe toss pillows to the cream leather couch. I have several blue glass vases and collectibles on the mantle. I have a cobalt blue and yellow hand painted urn in the corner. It reminds me of sand and water!
    Bookmark   August 9, 2013 at 7:58PM
sharpkl
This is one of my favorite Florida style rooms
Vacation Retreats - JMC Communities · More Info
1 Like    Bookmark   August 9, 2013 at 8:37PM
Sharpie, just what I was saying. Like the aqua walls, but the muffin an would work too.
1 Like    Bookmark   August 9, 2013 at 8:42PM
jillerbd
Hi everyone!!! So here is the final result, do you like it??? Next question- we want to add fun swivel chairs, not sure of the color, initially wanted to do red but now I'm not so sure. Thoughts???
5 Likes    Bookmark   August 23, 2013 at 1:15PM
Love color hate verticals. Rd hard to work with use in very small amounts not on furn. I would go blue tones, teal, colbolt, dark grays wold be better for big pieces in furn.
1 Like    Bookmark   August 23, 2013 at 1:26PM
Light In Art
We make Contemporary Stained Glass Lighting and Art and we make lighting that would look great in a beach house. We customize size and color; visit our website at http://www.lightinart.com/ to see some options.
    Bookmark   August 23, 2013 at 1:55PM
Good choice of color. Swivels work really well when you have more than one focal point like view and TV and conversation. Lots of choices; what's your style?
Portico Swivel Chair · More Info

Colin Cab Swivel Chair - Baker Furniture · More Info

Michael Weiss for Vanguard swivel chair.jpg · More Info

Calypso White Swivel Lounge Chair · More Info
1 Like    Bookmark   August 23, 2013 at 2:18PM
Need help selecting paint colors for our new house near the beach!
We just bought a new house and it is currently painted...
sgunness
Beach house flow
I'm decorating a brand new small home on the west coast...
gaylemarcia
My beach house lacks an entrance that's inviting.
The house is contemporary in Rehoboth Beach, Delaware....
jbh6969
Need help with beach house!
We are in the process of closing on this beach house....
beamertg
Beach house that isn't kitchy
I've just bought my first home, and am trying to find...
mcasey4
Need help for my bedroom
Since I live in a hot city where the weather is above...
Artika Pati
What to hang over sofa/ behind TV wallpaper
Hi all :D So here is my living room which is somehow...
rose_jm
Gable Detail Inquiry
Hello, We are working to complete our new house. One...
clwoodard3
What color to paint orange kitchen cabinets
Hi everyone, I need to paint my kitchen cabinets as...
photogirlla
Wanting frozen theme room ideas?
Wanting frozen theme room can't seem to find any ideas...
Doreen Richard