Curb Appeal Suggestions
lighow
I am putting my house on the market. What suggestions do you have to improve curb appeal? I am probably going to paint the brick so color suggestions also welcome. Thanks
lighow
I am going to get the front repaved--forgot to mention that.
    Bookmark   August 8, 2013 at 11:43AM
I wouldn’t paint the brick. Too many don’t like it painted. I would remove the awning and paint the steps and the front door.
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by lighow    August 8, 2013 at 11:47AM
lighow
The brick has already been painted by previous owner and is chipping off, shown in second photo. Maybe I should just get it sanded off?
    Bookmark   August 8, 2013 at 11:55AM
I would take down the awning and the iron posts and replace with a pergola overhang over the whole porch. I would also put a rail around the porch in white. Take out the behemouth hedge. Plant a hydrangea. Paint the fronts of the steps white. Then bring in a nice welcome mat, a pot of flowers and a bench under the window. Keep it white, keep it clean, and bring in the colors with accessories ;) http://www.houzz.com/photos/exterior/perogola-over-porch-
3 Likes    Bookmark   August 8, 2013 at 11:59AM
HI -- Just repaint to freshen things up but don't paint anything that hasn't been painted before . Sanding the old paint off is going to be hard to do and take a lot of time . A nice color that will go with the brick that's beside is " Ranchwood " by Benjamin Moore paints .D on't remove the awning and do any construction . Just refresh the exterior paints and give the landscaping a good tidy up . The new owners can do the big changes that they want . Maybe just paint a pretty bright color on the front door . Add a few pots of flowers around entrance and maybe some hanging flower baskets or boston ferns . That's all you need to do to sell .
4 Likes    Bookmark   August 8, 2013 at 12:03PM
handymam
I am wondering if the front steps are really as crooked as they look? If so, you may want to get that addressed. I would leave the awning and remove the scalloped edge if possible. Trim down the front bushes lower than the top step and not so wide that they are touching the steps. (Or remove altogether! :) )

If you could paint the trim on the peak, the awning, the support railings and the steps the same color, I think it would add some life to an otherwise white house. Paint the inside front door.

Plant some mums or other something in the bed going up the walk on the left.

Put a couple of chairs on the right side under the awning to stage it as a porch for the potential buyer.

House numbers would be nice, maybe on the brick below the pumpkin.
2 Likes    Bookmark   August 8, 2013 at 12:11PM
anwutzke
You might want to consider how much of a return will you get on the sale of your house if you spend alot if money re-doing or re-landscaping, It may eat up profit on your sale. I would suggest repainting what has been painted already making it look fresh and clean. Lose the hedge and put in mature colorful plants that will off set the plain front.
1 Like    Bookmark   August 8, 2013 at 12:12PM
certdesign
I like a lot of the suggestions, especially by handymam. If you're willing to try, you can rent a sandblaster and get that brick cleaned up. Many now use walnut shells so they are not too abrasive -- do a little research because it will pay off big time to clean up that painted brick! Adding colorful season plants always pays off big time, too.
1 Like    Bookmark   August 8, 2013 at 12:17PM
lighow
Good suggestions, thanks everyone. I don't have much money to work with so I'm leaning towards replacing, repainting current painted brick and some basic landscaping. I love the Ranchwood suggestion! I think that would really update it. Also staging it with a few chairs sounds cheap and appealing,as well as adding a few pops of color around. Thanks
2 Likes    Bookmark   August 8, 2013 at 12:21PM
lighow
And painting the porch white makes sense.
    Bookmark   August 8, 2013 at 12:21PM
Suzette Sherman Design
Margo C. is spot on!
1 Like    Bookmark   August 8, 2013 at 12:50PM
LB Interiors
I would sand the wall brick including porch short wall to work better with the left side of the home. They are too separated visually with color.
    Bookmark   August 8, 2013 at 1:11PM
LB Interiors
Like Margos's ideas too!
1 Like    Bookmark   August 8, 2013 at 1:12PM
LB Interiors
I would try to make your home work a little more with the left side of the area. Are they attached. Your home being the white home is a separate dwelling from the large red brick of the home that we are seeing?
    Bookmark   August 8, 2013 at 1:15PM
LB Interiors
I would accent the fascia and around the window trims with an accent color.
Paint the door red or sienna red.
    Bookmark   Thanked by lighow    August 8, 2013 at 1:17PM
nancy22032
The paint & other upgrades are ok but when a buyer drives up and sees the way those steps are sloping he or she is going to think this place is rotten and about to fall down. If that sounds harsh, I'm sorry, but the last thing you want is for the potential buyer to have doubts about the soundness of the house. Even if everything else looks good, they will still be suspicious and not be willing to offer a good price because they are afraid they will find other problems with the structure. I would love to see that cute 2nd story window and the roof trim painted a soft color to make it stand out against the white. Even if you have to borrow money from Uncle Joe or whomever - do repair those steps. Good luck with your sale!
2 Likes    Bookmark   August 8, 2013 at 1:20PM
LB Interiors
A way to repair the steps is to paint them white. Remove the cap edge on top. Add a red brick cap to the tops as an accent, mortar to help with the leveling. Should be inexpensive and no need to replace the entire steps.
    Bookmark   August 8, 2013 at 1:39PM
nancy22032
The brick steps sound attractive - just get everything leveled.
1 Like    Bookmark   August 8, 2013 at 1:53PM
handymam
No paint on earth is going to straighten out crooked steps, LB. If they are crooked, they need to be fixed or as nancy22032 pointed out, it will look like they have not taken care of the house repairs.
2 Likes    Bookmark   August 8, 2013 at 4:58PM
Only lighow can answer the sloping step issue, but I am thinking those hedges are making the steps look that way along with maybe the photo ?? go take another good look and see what you think bushes? lighow what say you? She did say she was having the front repaved so I only would assume you would address that issue as well.
1 Like    Bookmark   August 8, 2013 at 5:04PM
lighow
It is vacant at the moment as I love elsewhere so I can't go outside and check, but I am pretty sure the sloping is due to the photo only. I lived there for seven years and never noticed! The bush is much lower now. I will try to find some more photos. I like the idea of sanding the brick to match the house that is attached on the left side.
1 Like    Bookmark   August 8, 2013 at 7:02PM
LB Interiors
Handymam, I'm not sure that the steps are leaning as the entire home looks like it is leaning. I can't tell if they are wood or concrete. I think it's the photo. If not concrete, then my idea wouldn't pertain anyway:)
    Bookmark   August 8, 2013 at 7:12PM
lighow
*live
    Bookmark   August 8, 2013 at 7:14PM
LB Interiors
'handymam' I think 'lighow' clarified some of the questions about the step issue.
    Bookmark   August 8, 2013 at 7:14PM
lighow
Steps are concrete
    Bookmark   August 8, 2013 at 7:15PM
LB Interiors
Thanks lighow! :))
    Bookmark   August 8, 2013 at 7:18PM
lighow
How do I attach a photo from my idea book? I have some exterior photos I wanted to share. Sorry, new at houzz!!
    Bookmark   August 8, 2013 at 7:24PM
lighow
This is the look I would hope to get from sand blasting it. Do you think this would be possible?
    Bookmark   August 8, 2013 at 7:28PM
lighow
And then maybe paint around the windows and a few other places black?
    Bookmark   August 8, 2013 at 7:29PM
Leda Schupbach
What are the comparables like? Is that a common shape of home where you live? That could help you with spending money on it or not.
Price can also be reflective of condition.
1 Like    Bookmark   August 8, 2013 at 7:29PM
LB Interiors
I think black accent trim would be great!
1 Like    Bookmark   August 8, 2013 at 7:33PM
LB Interiors
I'm not sure if the contrast of the left structure that has unpainted brick, would help or hinder your home if you sanded to create a weathered brick? I think I'd repaint white on brick where needed and sandblast the brick porch walls and brick for a cleaner finish. It will save some money. Add black trim fascia and window trim. Paint the door red. Simple freshener.
    Bookmark   August 8, 2013 at 7:36PM
Sustainable Dwellings
Yes to the black accent trim... also, paint to accentuate that great upper window! You could also invest in a nicer storm door.
    Bookmark   August 8, 2013 at 7:37PM
lighow
here are a few other photos i found
    Bookmark   August 8, 2013 at 7:46PM
lighow
LB, what is fascia?
    Bookmark   August 8, 2013 at 8:02PM
LB Interiors
Fascia is the wood trim just below the roofing. It's the orange color on the brick house next door at the peak. I suggest black paint for the wood trim like it is around their windows. Do the same on your house. In black. On your house, I would also paint the detail structures, top and bottom, that protrudes from the wall, that is over and under the 2nd story window ... black.
    Bookmark   August 8, 2013 at 8:13PM
LB Interiors
To sell, I would remove the screen door. Paint the main door red or deep red, darker than the color in the brick. Store the screen door in the garage for the new owner. It presents better \when sellling a home.
    Bookmark   August 8, 2013 at 8:34PM
LB Interiors
If you can, you could also paint the sides and the front fascia of the awning ... black. The balance for the painted details would be nice accents. I think the awning is metal? Be sure to use a metal paint and it must be sanded first.
    Bookmark   August 8, 2013 at 8:37PM
lighow
Thank you for all these wonderful suggestions!
1 Like    Bookmark   August 8, 2013 at 11:57PM
nancy22032
To go back to the steps - if they are concrete then the footing for them has failed. I still believe that you must get rid of the look.
    Bookmark   August 12, 2013 at 10:12PM
Revolutionary Gardens
The shots looking straight on at the front make the steps look awful but if you look at the first winter pic (brrr), those steps look darn near perfectly level with the porch. The longer I stare at these pics, the more I think maybe the front walk has settled to the right, creating a bit of an optical illusion.

Anyhow, I have a group of favorite realtors I do curb appeal touch-ups for. Here are my thoughts:
- have a frank talk with your agent re: not just comps, but WHO the buyer for this home generally is in today's market. You're telling that person a story in which he or she is the protagonist.

- address any loose or flaking paint, repaint the brick, but if you're looking to sell you do NOT want to mess with getting the paint off it altogether. We tried that on our painted brick foundation and it went so poorly, I put up metal lath and made it a stone veneer foundation

- someone mentioned painting the fascia; I'd also do something to make the details around the 2nd floor window pop. The staggered gable angle and that window are two of your assets

- if you paint the porch and steps, I'd stay with a similar color so it always looks mostly clean, but use an epoxy paint. Anyone who's looking at homes with concrete porches will immediately recognize and appreciate it.

- keep the porch cover, but don't call attention to it. It's dated, but removing it would leave scars on the house and just watch - your best buyer will come to see the house on a rainy day. If the scallops can go away that'll at least bring it forward a decade or so.

- re: the landscape, the Baby Huey hedge is holding you back, but you clearly get winter - be sure that whatever you replace it with is evergreen or your home will show poorly all fall and winter. See about a design consultation from a local nursery, tell them exactly what you're trying to do (make the home gorgeous for sale), and think layers - evergreen shrubs, flowering shrubs, then perennials, with some space for annuals.

- this time of year you can often pick up big honkin' pots at a steep discount (I'm talking 24-36" diameter). Have the garden center designer incorporate that so that no matter what time of year someone's looking at the home, there's something fun and memorable happening.

I think it's an incredibly cute house. Be sure to lean on your agent as he or she should be your #1 resource in spiffying things up.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by lighow    August 12, 2013 at 11:10PM
handymam
Revolutionary Gardens- great tip about knowing who the buyer will be. Sometimes people get so caught up in the details, they overlook the economics. Sometimes, a fix up is all that is needed to sell in certain markets. Fresh paint, fixing things that are sagging or broken, and an all over feeling of freshness not granite countertops and marble tiled bathrooms are all that are needed for some markets. Good call.
1 Like    Bookmark   August 13, 2013 at 4:26AM
Sustainable Dwellings
Make that second floor a strong focal point. Build a good looking porch to replace that metal awning thing.
    Bookmark   August 13, 2013 at 7:29AM
nancy22032
The psychology of selling a house is this: either have the home in perfect order and condition OR price it very competitively (a little lower than similar homes). This way the buyers can show their friends and relatives the house WITH PRIDE - either they got a great smokin' deal on the house OR the home is just perfect. This system will prevent your home sitting on the market for months and declining in value. A home needs to be spic and span clean, obvious faults corrected, and not cluttered. Pack away lots of your stuff - you will have to when the sale is made anyway. Hope this helps with your sale - you can't make an older house look like new without spending a fortune; just clean and prettty.
1 Like    Bookmark   August 13, 2013 at 4:52PM
lighow
thanks for the most recent comments. clean and pretty is the plan. will do the trim and window and landscaping and cement. the steps will stay as is as they really are fine. now trying to decide what color the steps should be.
1 Like    Bookmark   August 14, 2013 at 10:43AM
lighow
actually if i am painting the bricks on the house ranchwood by benjamin moore do i paint the trim black with the white aluminum siding? and then should i leave the door white or paint it black?
    Bookmark   August 14, 2013 at 10:50AM
HI -- Paint the door " RED "
1 Like    Bookmark   August 14, 2013 at 11:01AM
LB Interiors
Red door. Black Trim
1 Like    Bookmark   August 14, 2013 at 12:43PM
LB Interiors
    Bookmark   August 14, 2013 at 12:45PM
lighow
Got it. Thanks houzz folks!
    Bookmark   August 14, 2013 at 10:15PM
sjkingston
Also, if that scalloped awning is actually wood trim (rather than a fabric which was my first impression), I'd replace or cover up with straight edged trim as its dating the house.
    Bookmark   August 14, 2013 at 11:16PM
buckysboys
Sandblast the brick. It really adds charm. Then decide what needs to happen with the upstairs window. It disappears now, but with the sand blasted finish, it will reveal what needs to happen next.
    Bookmark   August 15, 2013 at 12:00AM
lighow
Hired someone. Time to choose the paint color for the bricks. Any last minute suggestions? Thx!
    Bookmark   November 10, 2013 at 7:57PM
LB Interiors
White Brick.
    Bookmark   November 10, 2013 at 11:30PM
lighow
No I'm going darker. Taupe or tan or grey or charcoal blue...
1 Like    Bookmark   November 11, 2013 at 5:11PM
LB Interiors
Those colors are a little too different from a norm. Not that it is bad. But for selling, I would paint the brick white.
    Bookmark   November 11, 2013 at 5:44PM
Period Millworks The Woodwright Shop
Change iron to fiberglass columns.
1 Like    Bookmark   November 11, 2013 at 8:09PM
jdingles
Remove the security sign ?
    Bookmark   November 11, 2013 at 9:14PM
handymam
lighow, I like your idea of taupe. If you really want the most popular taupe color now, go to the vinyl siding dept of a home store and color match a sample of their taupe siding.
    Bookmark   November 12, 2013 at 5:16AM
lighow
I went with Sherman Williams temperate taupe. Unfortunately, it turned out to be much lighter than I had anticipated, but I'll live with it. Also got the steps and sidewalk redone. Couldn't paint trim because it's vinal.
    Bookmark   December 7, 2013 at 10:21AM
lighow
Wish I had done a charcoal blue to make the white pop but it'll do. Plan on selling anyway.
    Bookmark   December 7, 2013 at 10:22AM
Love the inside, hate the curb appeal! Suggestions anyone?
First off, I can't make major changes to the appearance....
dawnmv3
Need some curb appeal help / suggestions
Need to soften the look of our house. Open to suggestions....
olgahicks
Exterior paint and curb appeal help - Would like a more updated look
Hi All, Need some suggestions or pointers for exterior...
Kat A.
Need help for curb appeal suggestions.
Paint color -/landscaping. Tree were just removed and...
d3sanders11
Our First Home has Curb Appeal Problems, Suggestions?
Welcome to our first home. We are beyond excited about...
kschuringa
Kitchen Bid High What is the Norm?
My house flooded due to an overflowing toilet. Because...
bellburgmaggie
Help design my country/vintage/modern idk what it is kitchen!
okay, here is my kitchen. Just had the granite installed...
toatsmcgoats
Flooring on walls
This is 1 of the ex sample walls you could do with...
oswald_galloza
What kind of coffee table should we get?
My husband and I are struggling to decide what kind...
Nicole Lang
Contractors chipped new granite on install, is it salvageable?
My wife and I finally broke down and are in the process...
jwallywally