Too many pendants?
Juliene F.
Hello Houzzers!
We are beginning a kitchen remodel... In about 11 hours! We have a MCM "Streng house," with the original three globe lights in the kitchen. I like them, and they are staying. Within the same large space we have a big "artichoke" pendant over the dining room table. Additionally, I have ordered two Soda Pendants by Tech Lighting, in the color amber, to go over the new 7' island (which will be rotated 90* from the one you see in my picture). I love all three of these lighting schemes. But now I am thinking that the two new pendants may look totally odd with so many lights dangling all over the place like cave stalactites! It IS a huge room, so maybe jt will be okay. Would you wonderful people please let me know what you think?
The issue isn't the number of pendants but the spacing of the 3 globe lights which are too far apart. Consider installing pot lights in the kitchen area to provide additional illumination.
August 9, 2013 at 5:54am        Thanked by Juliene F.
leelee
I think you went over the 'maximum pendant allowed' quota when you ordered the amber pendants.

Are you changing the tile countertops? And the tile floor? To what?
August 9, 2013 at 6:15am        Thanked by Juliene F.
Juliene F.
@dytecture I think you're right regarding the spacing of the globes now that I see my space in a picture! @leelee the floors will be Marmoleum in "Volcanic Ash," and the counters will be "Nougat" in Caesarstone. Thanks for commenting!
August 9, 2013 at 7:27am     
Juliene F.
@dytecture do you think a happy solution may be to keep only the globe over the sink, install new pot lights, and have the new pendants over the island? Thank you so much for your advice!
August 9, 2013 at 7:47am   
soberg
The globes do look excessively spaced visually, but they also provide better light distribution this way. Since you're rethinking all your lighting, why not get a lighting designer to work on the actual illumination levels you need? You don't need to use pendants for everything - they can be supplemented by recessed or other lights that are less obtrusive so you get the illumination you need.

I like the globes and the artichoke a lot, but I do think they fill up your pendant quota as is with current locations. A tighter grouping of globes might allow more visual separation that would make the next added set of pendants work better. I wouldn't though.....let you current pendants be the stars of the ceiling. Also, a third type of pendants really should match the existing white, IMO. Amber would just be too busy.
August 9, 2013 at 8:05am        Thanked by Juliene F.
Juliene F.
@soberg Thank you so much for your input! At the final hour I am focusing up and I agree with you, this requires serious thinking!
August 9, 2013 at 8:32am     
7j DESIGN
I would group the three white globes at different heights over the sink area in a triangular configuration about 24". This way it will balance with the artichoke light and then your amber light will make a statement over the island.
August 9, 2013 at 8:47am     
Sustainable Dwellings
Do you have any ideabooks or pics for your planned re-mod?? I agree, the three white globes are too far apart...
August 9, 2013 at 9:55am     
joyannello
I would simply leave pendant over sink and then move other two pendants over island at an equal height and spacing for a much cleaner look that will balance with dining room fixture. No more pendants please or Tarzan may wish to start swinging...
August 9, 2013 at 1:42pm     
Juliene F.
@sustainabledwellings I don't right now, but I could put something together. The closest I have is a Pinterest board. @joyannello Thank you for your input and LOL!!!
August 9, 2013 at 8:56pm   
Juliene F.
Just a quick update | the wall with the built-in hutch is now bye-bye! Your comments have been immensely helpful. Hubby and I are thinking recessed lights exclusively, in the area where the globes are. Then relocate the globes OR new pendants over the island. So only one style of pendants in the kitchen. I promise to update again!
August 9, 2013 at 10:07pm     
cattaill
Kudos on going with a 7ft island turned 90 degrees from the current one. Just what the space needs. Actually, when you put that in, you may "luck out" and those globes just might make sense at the current spacing. If I'm guesstimating correctly, your island will end under, or near the globe furthest to the right in your picture, bringing the whole ensemble into balance. If you leave them where they're at, it'll save on your electrician bill. I would add some recessed and/or undercounter lights for task lighting, as others mentioned. If it were me, I would definitely want some type of pendant over the island, they complement each other so well. Maybe you could find an alternate spot in the house for the amber pendants (entry way, bathroom, or how about under that covered area just outside the kitchen?). Good luck with your project, whatever you decide!
August 9, 2013 at 10:59pm        Thanked by Juliene F.
greg78728
I agree with the consensus about overdoing with more pendants. Re: the globes, you said, "I like them, and they are staying." That sounds like a gut feeling and I would stick to your guns on that. I'd also be reluctant to move them since it sounds like one of the things you like about them is that they're original to the house -- the placement is original as well, so I'd figure out ways to complement them where they are. Just my two cents. Best of luck. I'm sure it will be a great project.
August 10, 2013 at 6:21am        Thanked by Juliene F.
gemstar64
The spacing seems to be perfect for pot lights and too far apart for the globe lights - just my two cents!
August 10, 2013 at 8:53pm        Thanked by Juliene F.
HI -- I love the round globe lights . I would space them to a better width and or add some L.E.D. pot or track lights and not add anymore hanging lights . I don't like the cluttered look of too many things hanging from the ceiling in a kitchen . Great MCM house !
August 10, 2013 at 8:59pm        Thanked by Juliene F.
kellyboss
I understand wanting to keep the globes. I do think a third type of pendent is overkill. Instead of the amber pendants, I would choose something as close as possible to the globes. That way you are just extending the globe ambient light scheme, since the globes are not task lighting anyhow.
August 10, 2013 at 9:05pm        Thanked by Juliene F.
N.O.R,LLC
I m thinking you might install recess light and place the global pendents on top of island and lower the global pendents ,I m defiantly agree that single light need to be replace ,I m thinking if you instal recess light in whole kitchen ceiling and have the pedants on top of the island
I m thinking counter top looks unique and it pop if you change the back splash and your floor and take the rhythm of square from your kitchen.
if you have a good electrician you can work with him and divide the your ceiling you might ended up pay little bit more on repair ,since you might ended up make extra wholes to find balance and right place.
August 10, 2013 at 9:15pm        Thanked by Juliene F.
alwaysdesigning
I would just move the ones you have and it would make more sense for them to be over spaces you need them in. Keep the one over the sink; move the other two. Move one over the island and move the other spaced equidistant to the one at the sink, so it's over the countertop/dishwasher. Perfect. Then after moving the two pendants, put recessed cans in their place. I would not add more and different pendants; too busy; but that's just me. Good luck.
August 10, 2013 at 9:44pm        Thanked by Juliene F.
ingakarina
I think one of the things that makes the globe spacing look a little far apart is all of the vertically oriented upper cabinets on that rear wall. There are a lot of them and I think it fools the eye a bit. However, I personally don't think the globes are actually too far apart for the architecture of the room itself. They're really great too!

I agree with the comment that rotating the island is just what this room needs, and also that it might help with the look of the globes.
August 11, 2013 at 4:11am        Thanked by Juliene F.
shoff369
I love the teal color but would suggest you paint the ceiling a golden beige or very light teal to compliment...so as to keep the eye moving up. Ceilings should not just be white. They need to carry and blend with the color scheme.
August 11, 2013 at 7:35am        Thanked by Juliene F.
kroze
FWIW, I had a similar situation in my recent kitchen remodel. I built a nine foot island and turned it the opposite direction, and was advised to hang pendants above it. However, I felt that the pendants took away from from the openness of the large room. I thought they would be distracting. So, I opted for total recessed ceiling lights and L.E.D. rope lighting above and below the cabinets with a pendant above the sink. Wow, I have not regretted that decision.
August 11, 2013 at 9:32am        Thanked by Juliene F.
Don't forget to install LED's under your cabinets to illuminate the countertops!
August 11, 2013 at 10:38am        Thanked by Juliene F.
No. I like your look good job. I never liked two different flooring that flow together. Put wood in kitchen. Believe me with new products they have now, it works great. Love the mid century look and open windows. Good job.
August 11, 2013 at 10:48am        Thanked by Juliene F.
Should have read yr post better. You are remodeling. Love the pendant. would not add anymore. I'm guessing new appl, and I would build island looking into living rm. very long granite top. I would keep the modern look by using straight sides, not bull nosed. Rustic industrial bar stools, restoration hardware, carrys them.good luck.
August 11, 2013 at 10:53am        Thanked by Juliene F.
Juliene F.
Hi everyone - wow my husband and I are so grateful for all of your thoughtful comments and we SO appreciate your assistance! I thought it would be helpful to provide those interested with a link to my related Pinterest board. It includes all of the final finishes, appliances, the backsplash (which will be a HUGE statement, as we are going to be tiling the entire wall above the stove), the barstools, the in-question pendants, the "runner"rug I am considering creating with FLOR tiles, and a few lingering inspiration images. Here is the link, lemme know what you think!
http://pinterest.com/julieneford/our-kitchen-remodel/

Also, I should mention that we will have NO upper cabinets after the remodel. We will have a skinnier pantry on the right where there is a big one in the picture. The fridge will be to the left of that with an upper over it, and that's it! There will be a tall modern Zephyr hood over the oven, and then there will only be one shelf flanking the Zephyr on each side.

To help with the visualization, I have attached a picture of our Ikea kitchen 3D planner. *Please note that the shelves are not depicted, and the fronts are not correct. We are using Ikea cabinets and our contractor is going to make and install hardwood drawer faces and will use the same wood to wrap around the back of the island. The counter over-hang is also not depicted. But I know you all are great at visualizing and imagining! THANKS AGAIN SO MUCH!!!
August 11, 2013 at 2:45pm     
suzzus
My first impression is that you will have too many hanging fixtures with the new ones you ordered. I would keep the three globe lights and rehang them at a lower level than they appear to be now and spaced appropriately over the new counter. Keep the artichoke light over the dining table. It, like, the globe lights are terrific. Cancel the order for the new pendents. Have a lighting designer install recessed lights over the sink area appropriately spaced for maximum efficiency. I used a dimmer over my sink and it is terrific especially at night when I use it to light the room after all activity ceases in the kitchen when dinner is over.
August 11, 2013 at 3:34pm        Thanked by Juliene F.
Juliene F.
Updates... we had to give an answer to the electrician immediately. We went ahead and had recessed lights put into the globe sockets. In the mean time, the amber Soda Pendants by Tech Lighting arrived, and the color was really different than online, in a bad way. So I had been thinking I would return them, and the color issue made up my mind. So, now we will be installing three Pele Pendants over the island (picture below). One of the commenters suggested finding a smaller pendant with the same feeling and style of the original globes, and that's what we ended up doing. Don't worry - we will be carefully wrapping and storing the originals in case they find a home elsewhere in the house. Thanks, All!
August 14, 2013 at 3:06pm     
Juliene F.
I saw the Pele Pendants in real life and fell out of love. The saga continues ;p
August 16, 2013 at 6:43am   
katiebrooke1
do you have any progress pictures?
August 16, 2013 at 6:54am        Thanked by Juliene F.
kroze
This is why I am very hesitant to order materials online. The chances of it being what you really expected are not high. And the hassle of returning it is a headache.

Having said that, I have bought a few things online that I have already seen elsewhere or came highly recommended. I ordered a pendant light for above the kitchen sink with trepidation, but that one worked out.
August 16, 2013 at 7:31am        Thanked by Juliene F.
Juliene F.
@katiebrooke1 and everyone else: I finally created an Ideabook dedicated to our remodel. Please check it out here:

And by the way, three new pendants are on their way! You can see them in the Ideabook. Thanks again, as always!
August 16, 2013 at 3:18pm     
Juliene F.
Just an update - the counter tops were backordered and there hasn't been a whole lot of progress since the last time I updated my Ideabook. But Friday the counters will be installed and things will really start moving!!
September 10, 2013 at 8:57pm   
Paul Wilson
They need to be distributed within the kitchen. Right now they look like they are halfway in the hallway. This means bring them closer together and shift them all to the left.
September 10, 2013 at 9:38pm        Thanked by Juliene F.
Juliene F.
Hello everyone! The kitchen is FINISHED! Thanks for all your help - it turned out great =)
October 17, 2013 at 2:33pm     
Shakúff
Beautiful! The pendants look fantastic!! :)
January 23, 2014 at 12:51pm   
Too many "drum" pendant lights?
I am building a house and love drum lights, but I'm...
Too many pendants in open kitchen/dining space?
Hi, we are doing a new home build and contemplating...
Too many pendants?? Help!
How many patterns of pillows & how many is too many?
This sectional is a charcoal grey. Walls are creamy...
how many lamps should be in the average living room? Is 4 too many
I have a 16 by 15 ft living room can I use 4 lamps...
Can't decide on a backsplash with a busy granite
I have a busy granite ( Mokoro ) ( geriba ) Is a busy...
I need help deciding where to center an art piece on a wall?
My client has a wall with a towel bar and a light switch...
Le style français en un mot ?
Et si vous deviez choisir un mot (nom ou adjectif)...
front yard design
Hi, I have a small front yard around 34' wide, for...