POLL: Best spot for homework?
Houzz Polls
August 9, 2013 in Polls
With summer winding down and kids heading back to school, we wanted to know:

Where do your kids do their homework and what tips do you have for creating a good study environment at home?

Vote AND SHARE YOUR TIPS IN A COMMENT to be entered to win a pair of Houzz slippers sent right to your door!

*One entry per person, per drawing. Entries must be posted before 12:00am Pacific Time 8/18/13. One winner will be drawn at random.
Living / Family Room
Office / Homework space
Bedroom
Kitchen Table
Other - Tell us Below!
eyeonlyhave1love
the kitchen provides a comfortable environment to multi-task by preparing dinner and helping with homework. It also lays the foundation for children getting comfortable with mental work subjects like math and science.
August 9, 2013 at 4:15pm     
Jeannie Nguyen
The kitchen table or dining table was always my favorite spot to do homework. Although I will admit, I did throw a lot of temper tantrums at those tables too. Sorry Mom! :X
August 9, 2013 at 4:16pm     
Lonna Peters
Ah, yes, it just has to be the kitchen table. Generations of children can't be wrong!
August 9, 2013 at 4:27pm     
WorkSpaces Inc.
The bedroom provides a place to concentrate as well as an area to store their books and supplies. (Perhaps more suited for older kids.)
August 9, 2013 at 4:34pm     
Ideally there would be a separate spot to do homework, but the kitchen table works!
August 9, 2013 at 4:45pm     
I find the kitchen table is the ideal spot in our house, mostly because it's so easy to get distracted in your own room. I can keep a much closer eye on what they are actually doing at the kitchen table. (Much to their chagrin)
August 9, 2013 at 5:10pm     
Camielle Call, LCSW, CID
Just as long as the distractions are minimal, the kitchen table is the place!
August 9, 2013 at 5:19pm     
projecthelp
From when i can remember doing homework its always been the bedroom. Close the door spread things on the bed and start away. As I am typing I have all my paper work on the bed :)
August 9, 2013 at 5:26pm     
niveditadesh
Kids can study at different times in a day. Most of the essential home work usually gets done in the evening. Having parents around helps not miss family time and yet keep getting work done. To create an ideal place to study, the kitchen , dining or any place where parents have visibility and easy access and there is no disturbance from TV and pets or other siblings is important. Building the ability to focus and have discipline is important. So its not always necessary to be in the middle of everyone. As kids grow older (mid/high school) they are better off in a study room or their bedroom. Many kids also love to wake up early AM and get extra studying done. Creating a comfortable place with right lighting for day/night is very important. They need more handholding when younger but they have to learn to solve issues/at least try to as they get older and they should enjoy being independent but know that help is just a room away. The most imp thing is parents maintain a peaceful and encouraging atmosphere at home. Calming colors, minimalist decor may help.
August 9, 2013 at 5:46pm     
kathy
Depends on the age of the child. My sons are at end of high school - so mostly the answer to where are they doing homework is 'what homework?" Or they say they are doing homework in their rooms, but are really gaming. Lucky for them they get good marks!
But my favourite memory of them in kindergarten and grade 1 was when they were learning to count. Being able to count to 100 was 'the' milestone. And then counting by 2's, 5's, and 10's to 100. With every number they would walk a step, round and round the kitchen/diningroom/living room loop. Or bounce on the sofa. Whatever way they could, they had to move. Talk about kinetic learning!
August 9, 2013 at 5:48pm     
Sara Duff
Bedroom...it's comfortable and quiet.
August 9, 2013 at 5:53pm     
kywy
No matter where we have set up a nice desk, the kids always end up at the kitchen table.
August 9, 2013 at 6:15pm     
2150 Fincher Road
Some of the written work is done sitting at the vintage painted green desk which is in the nook on the landing by the stairs. Other times reading time or oral work might be done in the sitting room. Both places have a terrific view!
August 9, 2013 at 6:26pm     
rrsuelo1
We have a study but the girls tend to use the kitchen table, convenient too since I can keep an eye on them while I'm making dinner.
August 9, 2013 at 6:28pm     
bronwentm
the kitchen table or the dining table (if the dining room is connected to the kitchen) are great places for homework because the tables allow more room to spread out and do things like projects as well!
August 9, 2013 at 6:56pm     
gabbygus
The kitchen table where I can keep an eye on them. Otherwise, homework doesn't get done.
August 9, 2013 at 8:19pm     
Rhiannon Crain
No one wants to be alone in my family, so kitchen island during clean-up or dinner prep is the ideal spot for us!
August 9, 2013 at 8:23pm     
esparzaone
Kitchen bar is where my kids do their homework :)
August 9, 2013 at 8:52pm     
Uppercase Living Ind. Demonstrator Jean Danieu
Depending on a child's age I think doing homework in an area with little or no distractions is best that's why I chose the homework space. Parents can be supportive by showing interest in child's assignments, being a good role model and demonstrating study and organization skills….after all the apple does't fall far from the tree! I like the calendar below for keeping kids organized and the inspiring work area with desk, storage for books, & a place to relax. For more inspiration check my Ideabooks, for decals: http://jeand.uppercaseliving.net
August 9, 2013 at 9:14pm     
katosmom
Even with a desk in his room my son prefers the kitchen table. More space to spread out plus I'm an ear shot away if he needs some help. I consider it quality time, I might be cooking or working on my computer but we're still in the same area of the house instead of being upstairs in his room.
August 9, 2013 at 9:19pm     
mehaara
The kitchen table is such an American concept (for homework, I mean). In Germany, kids are urged to do their homework at their own desks, without parental help, in order to learn to work independently. Not sure if this is better, just pointing out a cultural difference.
August 9, 2013 at 11:52pm     
Margaret Phillips
Kitchen table is the best place to oversee and promote the best study habits. Your school does all it can, hopefully with great results. Even if you have the best teachers etc. children need reinforcements of their studies, we want them to be able to reason and deduct the answers. Two of my sisters and one of my friends did this religiously with their children every school day. Came home, have a few snacks on hand, within the hour school work was on the table and being worked on. These children have ALL been number ones in their class, graduated early with many awards, my niece who is 27has already been recognized nationally as a innovating teacher and invited to work in government labs for her research, my nephew at 25 is working with award winning playwrights and is a published author. My friend's daughter is still in High school but is invited to play with a nationally known symphony. I have a wide sampling but the ones who worked with their kids straight after school to hone their skills went way farther than the others. I also know another family, whose children sat in the corner of the family restaurant with a desk lamp at their table working everyday on their school work. I know the oldest child got a full scholarship to Harvard. No distractions and help them learn to learn.
August 10, 2013 at 1:09am     
Elizabeth Horscroft
Best tip is to put our fresh veggies while they work at the kitchen table. They have a healthy snack and the table is partially set for dinner once homework is finished.
August 10, 2013 at 4:55am     
indianpatti
Kitchen table ... closer to the snacks :)
August 10, 2013 at 5:05am     
vb123456
Dining Room table, it's away from distractions
August 10, 2013 at 5:21am   
Julia Holland
Kitchen! Usually kids are starting there homework around while dinner is being cooked. Kids can be monitored more in the kitchen.
August 10, 2013 at 5:25am     
Brenda
when they are young, in the kitchen. but as they grow older they move into there bedrooms to study.
August 10, 2013 at 5:30am     
MyLight Design
Kitchen!! while I'm cooking dinner and keep an eye on him....
August 10, 2013 at 7:19am     
Christin
I always did my homework in the living room when I lived by myself. When I lived at home I think the kitchen table was the best spot!
August 10, 2013 at 8:01am   
Rachel Silverman
My daughter gets too distracted by the activity around her in the kitchen/living room/family room. It takes twice as long to finish homework when she's distracted. A dedicated homework area/room is ideal for her and provides her the quiet she needs to concentrate. She's 9 years old and I also have a 2 year old son, and there is no way she'd get anything done with him in the room. She's a straight A student so I guess it's working. :-)
August 10, 2013 at 8:15am   
lhudsonl
My kids used to do their homework in their bedrooms✏ they are adults now but it seems like it was just yesterday that I was hollering, "Is your homework done?" Lol!
August 10, 2013 at 8:35am   
rachelaw619
Having two kids of my own and two different personalities I know that there is not solution that fits all. This includes doing homework. An easily destracted child would not do well in a family room enviroment and a child needing reassurance and social would not do well being put in a solitary room. Every parent and child needs to try a variety of locations and determine what works best and assuring wherever they choose, has the tools for the child to do their homework.
August 10, 2013 at 10:20am     
lady_casperl
Kitchen will always be an ideal place for kids, they can easily asked questions when they needed some help and they won't be far from the family members. Study time is likewise a family bonding time for there are a lot of things that parents can incorporate with their kids while they are studying.
August 10, 2013 at 1:58pm     
cathieg
After school most parents are busy with dinner preparations, putting away groceries or other daily necessities in the kitchen, so having the children right there makes life easier. You can supervise and assist without too much interruption to the daily grind. Definitely the kitchen table!
August 10, 2013 at 9:25pm     
Kris
Kitchen table is best for daily assignments but some reading must be done as quite time in a secluded area such as a reading nook, bedroom or even a hammock outside. We need to encourage kids to read and dream.
August 10, 2013 at 9:34pm     
hippodency
We have this room in our house dedicated for homework/crafts, and that is where a lot of the homework is completed. But students get up to three study halls in our middle/high schools, so most of the homework gets finished there.
August 10, 2013 at 10:22pm     
Elizabeth Woodfield
When my daughters were in elementary school, they did their homework in the kitchen as I prepared dinner. As they got older, and more independent with homework skills, they migrated to the bonus room, and, finally their own bedrooms. They did not have their own personal computers for homework until high school, so each had to rely on a computer in the bonus room which was in a family area of the home. I also never had to ask them if their homework was completed because they were so responsible. They are grown now and working -- gee, I kinda miss those days!
August 10, 2013 at 10:59pm     
luna05
Definitely bedroom. I personally always did my homework in my bedroom it's quite, I was alone and was able to concentrate.
August 11, 2013 at 1:06am   
Veronica Roth
Dining room table. Big space, loads of room and light. No one seems to have dining rooms any more.
August 11, 2013 at 1:42am   
cat_reyn
When we were younger, it was always done at the kitchen table before dinner. Once we went to secondary school, every one of us migrated to our bedrooms so we could complete essays in peace.
So I would say it depends on the age group. In either case, having a homework station where everything was kept would negate the whole "Where's my ______ (fill in the blank)" that happened so regularly in my house (usually in the morning as we were being rounded up to leave the house!).
August 11, 2013 at 1:57am     
lazy_lurker
The kitchen table lets them do their work while also connecting with Mom or Dad. Both my dh and I work more than full time and I think my kids treasure this casual time together. I know I do.
August 11, 2013 at 2:10am     
shelleyuk
As a matter of interest how much homework do children in the US get and from what age?

Traditionally here in the UK there was no homework until senior school (11) but that is changing. My boys (6 and 8) go to a very academic independent school (private fee paying) but even they don't get much homework. They have to read aloud every night but then the actual homework is easily done in half an hour in a Sunday morning.

We still use the kitchen table though!
August 11, 2013 at 3:10am     
Susan
Our kiddos always used the kitchen table for homework. This worked best for our family because we were available for questions and could keep an eye on their progress. Oh and it didn't hurt that after school snacks were close by too.
August 11, 2013 at 3:40am   
izbels
The kitchen is the heart ...& brain of our home. The table is generous in size & the computers are laptops so we have that added flexibility. I like to watch my cherubs as they study while I cook & am handy to deter distractions & answer questions!
August 11, 2013 at 4:00am     
JAN MOYER
It matters not where it gets done, only that it DOES get done. It matters most that parents look at homework, ask questions, are involved. It matters that they are on a familiar turf with the child's teachers. It matters if it becomes a struggle with subject matter, that a child gets help, without being told the answers, without homework being "done" for him or her. What matters most is the parental involvement, awareness of the importance of school and good grades at the very earliest levels and all the way to the finish line. It matters not at all.......where or in what part of the home the activity takes place.
August 11, 2013 at 4:39am     
Deborah Tallman
although a desk or the kitchen table is better for kids to do homework at, sitting up allows for better blood flow to the brain, my daughter always preferred doing her homework in her bed. She said she could get more comfortable which allowed her to be able to study longer. Now that she is in college and studies sometimes until 2 or 3 in the morning, it's easy for her to put the book or computer on her end table and drift right off to sleep when she is done
August 11, 2013 at 4:46am     
JAN MOYER
This is a bugaboo of mine, and I will preface it by saying I was a miserable student : ) and that was hardly my parent's fault, other than not enough nasty consequences. If you look at education in this country (USA) where folks will profess that the good schools/teachers are all in the best and most luxurious housing areas with the highest taxes...... I will say this: Those are the very same areas where the PARENTS are educated and successful, and place the highest value on education. They have a tendency to demand far more from their children and more from the teacher. If you're a single parent, or are housed in less luxury, it can be more difficult to accomplish the educating task. It doesn't absolve the parent. It's more important than virtually anything else you can do for your kids. Parental involvement must cross all incomes and living conditions. Even when it it is very hard for the parent, and hard for the child. Teachers are human, they respond to the three best words in our language. " I need your help". "What can I do to help at home?" What extra help can my child get? etc......the key word is "involved". To me, the evidence is in literacy rates in some areas of this country, often worse than abysmal. To blame a school or the teacher is like blaming wet grass for the rain. Okay, sorry to go off the rails...... but it drives me nuts.
August 11, 2013 at 5:07am     
valgal14
I think a quiet dedicated work space is the most productive. The fewer distractions for students the better! The homework demands on them are significant so a work space that is comfortable, has appropriate storage for all supplies and tools is perfect.
August 11, 2013 at 5:17am   
Melissa Dehn
It depends on the house, the kid, and the family! Most certainly, the quietest spot in the house is likely best for concentration, but some kids (and some topics) require more assistance than others.

For subjects like math where a lot of writing (and erasing!) is involved, a flat surface is necessary so the kitchen table is probably best. Anymore, too, older kids do their writing assignments on computers, and ergonomics are just as important for kids typing homework as they are for adults in the workplace! Not all homes have space for separate dining tables or offices, and the best computer set up for typing is not at a traditional table or desk.
August 11, 2013 at 5:21am   
Shari D.
I think it depends on the family and the person doing the homework. For some the kitchen may be to busy of an area or may have a younger sibling who refuses to leave the other alone. Helping to colour in projects and the like. My daughter works best at a desk in her bedroom where she can shut out all the noise that her brother may be making. Unless she needs a larger area, then she will move to the dining room table. Wherever the student does their homework, it is imperative that the parent check in occasionally to make sure that work is being accomplished and to help with questions if needed. While the quiet and secluded nature of the bedroom can lead a student to be able to concentrate more, it can also offer distractions. Which is why unless the computer is required for the school work I insist it is removed from her room prior to her studies. As well as the cell phone.
August 11, 2013 at 5:21am     
Kay Heath
The kitchen table allows for family connection. When I did homework I realized I'd left my mark there when at 5 I'd pushed so hard writing that there was a word left there for posterity! We also read aloud around the table. A place to learn anything as well as to do homework.
August 11, 2013 at 5:51am     
ladysaner
My kids are grown up....but the kitchen table was the homework central, parental help was always available....until they got smarter than us......lol!
August 11, 2013 at 5:58am     
ejsiq
Dining room table - though don't forget to put down a pad or placemat to protect a wood table from pen or pencil marks (not the ink but from pressure)! Thirty years later and my parents can still make out my writing on their table in certain light...
August 11, 2013 at 6:01am   
jillthomson
While I would study for my exams in my bedroom, I did my homework on the dinning room table.

Many years ago, when I was in public school, I vividly remember having an assignment to do and asked my Dad how to spell a word. He said "look it up in the dictionary!" To which I responded, "how can I find the word in the dictionary if I don't know how to spell it?" Good question, I thought! I still ended up ploughing through the dictionary to find the spelling :(
Back then there was no such thing as "spell check" !
August 11, 2013 at 6:04am     
billysnana1
The kitchen was a small room in our house. Their was no kitchen table so we sat at the dining room table to do homework. There was a comfort knowing Mom was fixing supper close enough that if there was something we needed help on she could step over and advise. Of course no cell phones, or computers, no TV's on to distract you. Mom didn't have to monitor us, she could see us and hear if we were talking to a sibling instead of doing the task at hand. The under lying message I always took away was Mom had an interest in us doing well in school. She was "there" in presence and support. Especially when young, before study habits are formed this is important. Time is a commodity that families never seem to have enough of. As we did our homework there was conversation about are day at school. This kept the lines of communication open. As we aged we were allowed to do homework in our bedrooms. Let me just add there was five children in the family. All of us completed high school, and graduated from college or a trade school. The dining room table served us well.
August 11, 2013 at 6:08am   
bradyross
The kitchen table always worked for us, until the home worked needed to be completed on the computer with printing, scanning etc then it moved to the office.
August 11, 2013 at 6:18am     
aylia8
Growing up in a large family, we had study areas all over the house. For the ones who needed quiet, or their own music, a desk in the bedroom was the best option. Others liked being where they could get help from older siblings or parents; our massive dining room table accommodated a lot of kids and books. The best place? Whatever works!
August 11, 2013 at 6:19am   
cchrane
The dining room table has plenty of room to spread out homework books. And I can help and be sure they stay on course while I am preparing dinner.
August 11, 2013 at 6:20am   
jhathorn
Large family the kitchen is ideal when there are elementary kids involve but high school kids the bedroom unless we need help from mom or dad
August 11, 2013 at 6:30am     
Rosa Galvan Tennyson
We have a small table just off the kitchen that we use.
August 11, 2013 at 6:38am   
Niya B.
When I was a kid, I wasn't allowed to have a tv in my room so it made a great place for me to do homework away from the noisy distractions of our kitchen and living room. It also allowed me I have my own, organized space to do work.
August 11, 2013 at 6:39am   
vickimusic
Kitchen table definitely. Can spread the books out for cross reference and always refer back to the laptop.
August 11, 2013 at 6:41am     
cgaylord77
Kitchen table! It is the center of the house and there is more room, accessibility to food, and the TV isn't on!
August 11, 2013 at 6:44am     
detroitthrift
I am suggesting the work space, because as kids get older they like to be in their own space, where it is quiet and no distractions.
August 11, 2013 at 6:46am   
shortped
Kitchen so I can crack the whip...lol!
August 11, 2013 at 6:53am     
snmcp
I agree, it depends on the age.
Younger children - I would agree-the kitchen table, where help is readily available. Teenagers seem to prefer their bedroom and college age turn up in the kitchen again!
August 11, 2013 at 6:59am   
Cheryl Dwyer
I think the kitchen so you can help them with their homework and keep an eye on them while preparing a meal. Also you know they are doing their homework when they are in the same room with you.
Cheryl martin
August 11, 2013 at 7:04am     
Brandon Roberie
Normally at the dinner table in our eat-in kitchen nook that way we can watch over them in case they need help while are are tackling dinner and our nightly house duties after work.
This way they can't play video games or watch TV and we can make sure they actually do their work.
August 11, 2013 at 7:11am   
knzinter
I grew up in a house that had an office/den area which was a great place to do homework. The kitchen table was a close second.
August 11, 2013 at 7:14am   
tracyk325
always the kitchen island. keeps the kids close by while I'm cooking dinner. For the older kids, I can get a sense of what they are working on without intruding into their rooms.
August 11, 2013 at 7:21am     
Nicolas Yopp
The living room works best for our place because we have a small space and they use the coffee table as it's much lower to the ground. They seem to focus better that way!
August 11, 2013 at 7:39am   
maryr6
I use the dining room for my kids as it is the coldest room and it makes them get on with it!
August 11, 2013 at 7:42am   
jjmeye17jr
Kitchen table is great. Kids can listen to music (no words, just soothing music), and be stressfree.
August 11, 2013 at 7:43am     
khalyon
Kitchen table. This allows parents to interact, monitor distractions, and answer questions that may come up.
August 11, 2013 at 7:47am     
selegna
I have a Kindergarden and preschooler boys so kitchen table works the best. I can help them with homework and cook at the same time!
August 11, 2013 at 7:48am   
drifterjr
I can focus on helping my girls out better at the kitchen table. Better eye to eye contact.
August 11, 2013 at 7:48am   
booga813
The bedroom because I, going for my masters, can concentrate better because I block out the television or people chatting.
August 11, 2013 at 7:53am   
Tina Thomas
I Love The Kitchen ,the way you have right there would make it better on us here we have every thing every where ,make's it hard to go here and then there especially when you are Handicapped ,it is really a beautiful kitchen ,i love the cabinet's !
August 11, 2013 at 8:05am     
thesocals
Depend on the age of the student: elementary - definitely the kitchen table. I can help with homework while making dinner and doing my chores. Middle school: office or study area - quieter for them, but we can check in with each other, esp if they're using the computer (likely). With High school, it's wherever they want...if they're hungry, it'll be the kitchen but more often it'll be their bedroom, late at night, after whatever sports/activities are done.
August 11, 2013 at 8:07am   
Linda Ferguson
When you are growing up having parents nearby is a comfort zone so the kitchen has always been the most convenient and comfortable space. There is lots of room to spread your work around and it is usually a larger space than your bedroom.
August 11, 2013 at 8:11am   
czg22
I have treasured memories of my sisters and I spreading out all our books, papers, art supplies and what not and my dad moving from chair to chair. I intend to do the same with my children now. Maybe I should move the library to the kitchen table!
August 11, 2013 at 8:19am   
nhbisbano
My child is only 6 weeks, but when I was younger, I loved being in the kitchen studying while my mom was preparing dinner... Too bad I didnt pick up her knack for cooking though! :)
August 11, 2013 at 8:25am   
tommychen
i spend most of my time in my office / our entertainment room, so the kids usually end up doing their homework there.
August 11, 2013 at 8:28am   
zsazsacarle
I guess it depends on the child and the age but the bedroom looked like it was a great space to study and do homework! Loved the map on the wall!!!!
August 11, 2013 at 8:28am   
sawbren
The kitchen table, were we learn about the world and each other. We watched how Mom and Dad interpreted the events of their day and our world. Amazing how reading that terrible homework assignment out loud to them so they could help often helped it to make sense to us. To this day no matter the age, homework or life work, the kitchen is an open forum to share our lives and our point of view of the world.
August 11, 2013 at 8:32am     
Kathy Hoprich
The kitchen usually works best so the kids aren't on their iphones or computer.
August 11, 2013 at 8:44am     
annabellez
The dining room table was taken over by our last child as her favorite spot to do homework. Now that she's grown, we actually use it for a computer room/ office/ diningroom (rarely!).
August 11, 2013 at 8:50am   
kiya1027
I really do love that it is so awesome
August 11, 2013 at 8:55am   
cjfrurtchy
I feel their bedroom - which will give the child quiet enviroment - easier to focus
August 11, 2013 at 9:00am   
tamiu
I have young kids so the kitchen is the place to be. They need extra help and I can prepare dinner and help them at the same time. But as they get older I can see them doing homework int heir rooms.
August 11, 2013 at 9:06am     
gabbygirl
Kitchen Table- because education involves the whole family.
August 11, 2013 at 9:12am     
drdilomb
The only important factor concerning the best spot is that they stay focused and absorb what their doing. You would think the best place would be a quiet spot with a good work space however, that is often not the case. My daughter always got her best work done sitting on one step in the stairway and writing on the one above.
August 11, 2013 at 9:12am   
katylayne
Working at the kitchen table while I finish supper seems most efficient. If they need help with something I am right there and I can also keep them focused on the task at hand. In their rooms there are cell phones and facebook and other distractors. Which, by the way are not allowed until after homework is completed.
August 11, 2013 at 9:19am     
jh77
The kitchen table. It's a good mixture of flat workspace and relaxing environment without being isolated from the rest of the family. The bedroom should be their sanctuary where they can really relax. Living room isn't practical and it is where they typically socialize with other family members. And they will have the rest of their lives to be in an office (ug.)
August 11, 2013 at 9:33am     
shell377
The Kitchen table is usually where my daughter ends up even though she has her homemade Desk in our spare room. The kitchen table is good for now when she has a question while I am cooking. As long as the tv is off... Hopefully when she gets older she will appreciate the dedicated space in the spare room.
August 11, 2013 at 9:34am     
laurab83
Dining room table is the best!
August 11, 2013 at 9:42am   
tabulator
Let the children get on with their homework by themselves. Too many parents doing too much mollycoddled homework for their children. When they go away to school, or college, they can't fend for themselves. In the meantime the teachers are working out how to grade work done by parents who can't let their children be independent. Engage with them in conversation at dinner, but give them some space. Build them a study space they can work in, check in on them by all means, but let them be in their own rooms and let them get on with it. If they fail, help them get back on their feet, if they need help, they can come and get it. The kitchen table is for preparing food and eating, not for school prep. Put the computer in a public space, but let them do their work in quiet independent space.
August 11, 2013 at 9:54am   
Margaret Gp
Office is free from distractions, and you can shut the door! Having younger sisters I know this was a must have to get peace and quiet
August 11, 2013 at 9:55am   
adran
My 12 year old son does his homework at the kitchen table, but he is easily distracted. We are remodeling his room now and are creating a homework space in it where he can concentrate without the distraction of his 4 year old sister.
August 11, 2013 at 10:16am   
Shirley Tedford
This is the color I chose for mine and everyone that comes in my new home love it and said they would have never thought of these color's together.
August 11, 2013 at 10:28am   
calidesign
When they were young, I would put out a healthy snack and my kids would do their homework at the kitchen island, while I prepared dinner. I was around, in case they wanted to talk or needed help, but quiet if they needed to concentrate. As they got older, a place in their own room or office was best.
August 11, 2013 at 10:30am   
fogeenite
I think it depends on the ages of children. Like most, believe elementary age should use the kitchen table as its a central location and a parent can keep an eye or be readily available to help one or more children. Middle and High School would recommend a study area or in their rooms providing they have a study area set up (desk). College think they pretty much know how to study and will choose their own area.
August 11, 2013 at 10:34am   
hmbrkall
Homework is best done in a beautiful tranquil garden area. Calm relaxing and able to retain what you are learning.
August 11, 2013 at 10:35am   
Ashleigh Swinehart Hall
I agree with @tabulator!! Our homework space is equipped with all they need and then THEY do their own work! We do help if they get stuck, but I try to not hover!
August 11, 2013 at 10:41am   
Maureen Howard
I think the kitchen is the best place. Bedrooms offer too much distraction. Livingrooms, likewise. An office is great if the child is older and responsible, but if they tend to be flighty or unfocused, they can get into trouble with a computer in a private room.
August 11, 2013 at 10:42am     
wifemothergoddess
The kitchen table does it all. The kids can have their afternoon snack, do homework, work on projects, and help me set the table for dinner. Nothing beats an old kitchen table in the middle of the kitchen!
August 11, 2013 at 10:45am     
kacraw
I always had the kids to their homework while I was either making dinner or cleaning up after so I could supervise and offer help. They did well so I guess it worked.
August 11, 2013 at 10:50am     
sally436
Working with CA Closets, we created a study/work "L" in part of our family room. Three boys practically live and work there now, so we call it Mission Control."
August 11, 2013 at 11:01am     
nettnett
As an educator for over 30 years in various roles ( speech therapist, special and regular ed, administration), it depends on each child's needs. The most important factor is parental involvement. I absolutely love all the comments! Each and everyone is correct! As always, a wonderful setting is a bonus and creates the mood! Thank you Houzz for mind blowing and creative ideas! Hats off to all these parents who are teaching their children the importance of learning and then they will pass this down to their children! What a marvelous legacy! Have a wonderful new school year!
August 11, 2013 at 11:08am     
Ramona Reich
kitchen of course ... everything available ... snacks, timer, light, seating (but not too comfortable)
August 11, 2013 at 11:21am     
millercp
There is no better place to bond with the kids than in the kitchen. While doing homework in the kitchen, they can have healthy snacks, lots of mom or dad's attention (and assistance, if needed). My daughter loved watching her dad cook and while doing her homework until I came home from work. It is a fond memory for her.
August 11, 2013 at 11:21am     
rlewis1022
Essential to a proper homework station are two things; a place that is free from distractions, and a place that is stocked with any necessary materials (pens, pencils, paper, computer, calculator, etc.) It's best to have a dedicated space and time to do homework, so as to establish a routine. The location varies on what works best for the family.
August 11, 2013 at 11:27am   
tabulator
It's always good to bond with children, but their homework time is for them to do their own work. Unless there are particular reasons why they should be in the kitchen, eg for behavioural reasons, it is better for them to build independent work habits and routine in a space designed for work. Bonding time happens when you take them out to fly a kite, or spend time redecorating the kitchen with them! Kitchen furniture is not suited for sustained independent written work either. Younger children might work well in this environment, but once they get into primary/junior/elementary school they are best in a dedicated workspace. This might be shared like the excellent example provided above, but not in a cooking environment which breeds distraction. It's about the child and not about the parent in this instance. It would be great to see some other examples of dedicated workspaces for children here on houzz! (Nudge nudge wink wink)

(Educational professional)
August 11, 2013 at 11:49am   
patriciakov
My son who really studies his books and does his homework everyday, loves to study in the kitchen. He studies hard without the TV and distractions. I think he likes to be in the middle of the house to see what's going on too! He's a good son and a great person
August 11, 2013 at 11:56am   
Shana Hess
When I was growing up I always did my homework at the kitchen table and now my daughter is in 5th grade and we are living in the same house that I grew up in and she is doing her homework in the same kitchen that I did mine in!
August 11, 2013 at 11:57am   
Pat Cuff
I feel the homework/office to be more of the right space for kids. Not only would it be quite without the distraction of the other people in the house, having a parent there working along side in the office portion teaches the child the good work ethics of the parents.
August 11, 2013 at 12:05pm   
alirose4
Homework is all about OPTIONS! I believe it depends on the intricacies of any given day.. many, many factors can dictate where and when homework is done. I believe it depends on the mood of the child and what they need to accomplish on that day, HOW they learn, WHAT time of day it is and even WEATHER conditions(i.e., if it's raining--a location by a window to watch and listen to the environment can be very soothing and inspiring). Sometimes they may need help so doing it in the kitchen is great. But... a quiet space in their bedroom is a great option as well. Some kids like to listen to music when they are studying. I don't like to assign my kids spots to do homework, therefore I try to create NATURAL spaces(I.e., tables, chairs with ottomans to kick up their feet and read, large windows, cozy corners, etc.) around the home to invite them to be creative and productive in their work wherever they are!
August 11, 2013 at 12:27pm     
anniemck6
The kitchen is way too noisy for studying.
August 11, 2013 at 12:52pm     
Heather Holl
Kitchen table works best! Help and supervision from mom or dad while dinner is prepared. Perfect spot to offer support.
August 11, 2013 at 1:19pm     
wrayc
Kitchen table is the place to start when they are young. High Schoolers may need a desk in their room for extended bits of studying. In all cases study doesn't happen with a TV and computer time is in the open to make sure it is really being used for study!
August 11, 2013 at 1:51pm     
Lori Castello
No matter what kind of awesome space you create for a kid, they all seem to gravitate to the kitchen table. It is warm and smells like dinner, there are parents and siblings to bounce ideas around or offer help, and there is a good chance of some snacking. The kitchen table is every executive's first boardroom, every artist's first easel, every designer's first drafting table. Where else in a home can you encourage collaborative learning and creative thinking? Homework should be approached as a chance to show off new skills learned each day, and to have family support in those that may not have come so easily.
August 11, 2013 at 1:51pm     
Amy Butler
The kitchen is the heart of the home. This is where the parent(s) can be a captive audience while they are prepping a meal, for those little helpful homework hints!
August 11, 2013 at 1:59pm     
Tisela Viera-Marrero
Likely, the kitchen table.
August 11, 2013 at 2:15pm     
ajulane
My vote is the kitchen, but ideally a work space off the kitchen table. Kids want to be in the ktichen after school - around cooking, people, snacks, and homework help.
August 11, 2013 at 2:20pm     
snarky2
My kids are grown but we used two different spaces based needs. If it was a project that required a lot of space, like an art project, or a research project with a stack of papers that needed to be fanned out we used the large kitchen island with the pendant lights on a dimmer switch we could easily adjust the lighting needs. The second space was a "home work office." We learned that the bedroom was full of distraction and contributed to frequent breaks that delayed completion of homework and affected concentration. We used an over-sized closet and fashioned a desk that folded from the wall into a proper desk, The room was wire for computer and perfect for laptop use. With wireless access to the printer in another room. The space was lighted from above with a swig arm lamp for closer lighting. It was in a quiet corner of the main floor but an oasis or quiet with no distractions and it was decorated and painted in serene light blue grey so as not to be dingy or look like a closet. The kids loved their own little office and they never misplaced their home work but kept the book bags and notebooks on a shelf in their special space.
August 11, 2013 at 2:43pm     
billiesue14
Kitchen table for all of the reasons already mentioned. My daughter practiced her spelling words or math facts or read out loud to me while I was cooking dinner. We would have both been lonely if she had done her homework in her room.
August 11, 2013 at 2:43pm     
Kate
Kitchen table worked best for me. We set up a nice desk in my bedroom but I didn't like feeling isolated. That made homework feel like a punishment.
August 11, 2013 at 3:02pm     
Tina Thomas
I Think A Child Can Concentrate Better If Left Alone ,And They Have Their Own Little Desk And Space ,You Can Always Go Check On Them Or They Can Come Out If They Have A Problem , I Would Have Killed To Have My Own Space ,There Was 8 Of Us To 1 Bedroom And We Studied Wherever We Could Find A Place ,So I Think They Should Have Their Own Space As Long As They Are Doing Home Work !
August 11, 2013 at 3:33pm   
Sharon Joffey
I always had my children do their homework in their own bedroom They each had a nice desk and chair good lighting plenty of paper and writing tools a good dictionary and peace and quiet. I did the same as a child and always did well with it and both of my children did the same. Any place else in the house and their are too many distractions to deal with and interruptions from other people and other activities that it just does not make it conducive for the best learning situation.
August 11, 2013 at 3:34pm   
mld9854
Kitchen table enables discussion & questions.
August 11, 2013 at 4:47pm     
adnoj
Kitchen table where you can sit up and consentrate, the bedroom you might get to comfortalbe. Plus if you have any questions someone is more apt to be around to help.
August 11, 2013 at 6:16pm     
c_ruffin76
A home office is ideal for housing a homework space for the kids. After all, that's where adults handle the business of the home. However, we do not have a sufficient home office in our home. So, for my younger child the kitchen table is a no-brainer since he requires the most help with homework time. After school most of my time is spent in the kitchen preparing snacks and the evening meal. What better way for mom to multi-task? My older child is more independent, so he works at his desk in their shared bedroom. Distractions are minimized because we created a separate playroom over the summer which houses all of their toys and crafts. Ultimately, the best homework space depends on the structure and layout of the home combined with the family's schedule. As long as whatever space you designate for homework is free of distractions and allows your child to focus and work efficiently, you can't wrong.
August 11, 2013 at 6:23pm   
Henry Kuerer
Definitely the DINING ROOM. Less clutter. Elegant. QUIET. And lots of space and good lighting.
August 11, 2013 at 7:30pm   
sellaginella
Family room is the place for everything. A large couch for a small nap, to read or watch TV, a corner for cooking and family meals, work table with computer, a blackboard fixed to the wall if the kids are small,place for laundry and 101 other things where nobody feels left out. Family room is where all meet and stay until it is time for bed. Homework is best done there with all helping with the answers! Naturally, it has to be a large place. We had one like that but unfortunately, we had to sell this house (built according to our plan) because the location turned out to be highly unsuitable later. Now we are in a very environmentally friendly location but, we miss that simple luxury since this home was not built by us. Win some lose some.
August 11, 2013 at 9:05pm   
judithahall
Where else BUT the kitchen table?? My two sisters and I sat around our big oval kitchen table while Mom cooked supper and under her careful supervision we completed our lessons. Sometimes she would give us help, other times she'd tell us to think on it because she knew we could figure it out. We'd always groan with that admonition but she always kept her word. I would love to go back and spend one of those homework days just one more time.
August 11, 2013 at 9:06pm     
juliadirubbo
The kitchen is always great because it is particularly a central location where the family is around, and you are always close by to some food in case you need to nibble on something to concentrate.
August 11, 2013 at 9:54pm     
ttsunoda
Dining room table so I am close enough to help if needed but can keep dinner on track. . There they feel less isolated and will stay on task -because im watching.
August 11, 2013 at 10:50pm     
Theresa Joy
No matter if we have a desk and a nice quiet office, Everyone always ends up at the kitchen table. It just seems more welcoming ... Although it's not exactly quiet :)
August 11, 2013 at 11:26pm   
Melissa Christine
I can help my daughter if she needs it while preparing dinner and other chores. The kitchen table is a prime place to complete homework.
August 12, 2013 at 2:45am     
rachieng
I have toddlers who I mind alone, so homework is done on the kitchen counters under my supervision, as I cook or go about the kitchen chores. They have reading desks in their rooms for other school requirements like reading and writing, but much effort is achieved in the kitchen and time is also efficiently utilized.
August 12, 2013 at 3:40am   
Long Island Mantel/Island ArtScreen
The kitchen table is the pulse for the home. When a child does their homework there it gives the parent the flexibility to monitor what they are doing, answer any question when get stuck on a problem while the parent preform their tasks (preparing dinner and such).
August 12, 2013 at 4:14am   
kristine8675309
Kitchen table the perfect environment
August 12, 2013 at 4:51am   
TOSN FLEXI
Definitely the kitchen considering that its cozier and curtails mind wandering.
August 12, 2013 at 6:34am   
qtpie5272
Kitchen table...the kitchen is the heart of the home and that way a parent can keep an eye out to make sure they're not getting too distracted.
August 12, 2013 at 6:45am   
juliep
The kitchen is the best choice because it is close to windows and natural light and is less comfortable then a bedroom and living room where you can become easily distracted.
August 12, 2013 at 6:49am   
Quality Bath
I wouldn't go for the kitchen table, too many distractions. As a kid I did homework in my room at my desk (when I studied with friends it was around the table, but we had a separate breakfast room), but I think a designated homework room or nook would be best and would love to have one by the time my kids are old enough!
August 12, 2013 at 8:05am     
mimisbabies
I think it can vary with the age of the child but at younger ages the kitchen table is the best place to be!
August 12, 2013 at 8:06am     
karenhshuman
We have a space in the family room with a computer that the kids use, which is nice because you can keep an eye on the web usage...but at times it does get distracting, so it's good to have an alternate as well. Our kids are all so different - our dining room table has also seen it's share of school projects.
August 12, 2013 at 8:46am   
Hilda Krueck
My son gets distracted by the activity around him in the kitchen. It takes so long to finish homework when he's distracted. It is better dedicated home/office area is ideal for him and provides him the quiet he needs to concentrate.
August 12, 2013 at 9:22am   
mtiadale
The kitchen allows me to monitor their progress while I cook dinner. It makes it harder for the boys to slack off.
August 12, 2013 at 9:26am   
nicoleheidi
Kitchen table for sure! A much needed snack and drink to keep them going after a long day at school along with others around to answer any questions! I have 4 kids and love having them interacting with each other.
August 12, 2013 at 9:32am   
pixiemouse29
Definitely kitchen table. Parrnts can help and do chores that way
August 12, 2013 at 10:00am   
farrey
"Routine is the enemy".
I vote for 'all over the house'. Most kids go to school, sit at the same desk day after tiresome day; perhaps this is good practice for the cubicle conformity many of us will have to abide later in life. All the more reason, I think to exploit every last nook, cranny, tabletop and upholstered oasis a home has to offer.
August 12, 2013 at 11:14am     
keestey
Kitchen table. We all have to learn to work with the distractions of life.
August 12, 2013 at 11:49am     
Beverly Anderson Interior Design
Kitchen table or island while dinner is being prepared.
August 12, 2013 at 12:01pm   
Leslie
My stepdaughter has a playroom/TV room, and that's where she tends to do homework. I think she prefers to sit on the floor (as opposed to a desk or kitchen table) to tell you the truth!
August 12, 2013 at 12:03pm   
brownramon
The office for me, but if my daughter was older and in school doing homework, I would say the kitchen so we can keep an eye on her.
August 12, 2013 at 12:54pm   
When I think about how I used to spread all my stuff out in the middle of the family room floor to do my homework, I don't know how my parents could take it! It would drive me crazy now! :D
August 12, 2013 at 1:17pm   
@farrey Love the way you think! Inspired. :)
August 12, 2013 at 1:18pm   
dessert
A dedicated work space away from major distractions but close to wherever mom or dad is,( for younger children), is best.
August 12, 2013 at 1:38pm   
Crimson Design & Construction
I would have loved an inspirational study space when I was young! I did my homework at the kitchen table, but my kitchen didn't look like today's kitchens so believe me there wasn't much getting done!
August 12, 2013 at 1:45pm   
preschooldir
The kitchen table is the heart of the home. It is a great place to do homework so you can stay connected to your kids. You are right there to help them .
August 12, 2013 at 2:02pm   
primadonna007
The kitchen table is the perfect spot to do homework since there is ample space to spread out books and papers. Mom or Dad also have enough room to sit and help. What better place to grab a snack while taxing your brain than at the kitchen table?
August 12, 2013 at 3:45pm   
mollymul
Depends on age. Older kids may do well in a more private space, but my 7 and 10 year olds do well in the kitchen where they can ask questions and where I can see what they are doing.
August 12, 2013 at 4:06pm   
Marilyn Collins
My lovely granddaughters do their homework in both the dining room and in the family office. I guess it has worked well for them as one was on the highest honor roll, and her sisters had all A's. I know I sound like a proud grandma, because I am.
August 12, 2013 at 4:15pm     
Lori Dennis, ASID, LEED AP
Dining table is big enough to spread out materials and have both my husband and I help. Independent work is usually done at the desk in her room.
August 12, 2013 at 4:17pm   
mommy kicksbutt
We homeschool and have a dedicated "classroom" in our home. Our son also has an alcove in his room which contains his desk and bookcase for his researching and studying. We believe in keeping work and sleep separate. The kitchen is too active with too many distractions to allow full concentration of schoolwork.
August 12, 2013 at 5:23pm   
Wow Effects-Murals and Fine Art
It was always the kitchen table for me. Did all of my artwork there as well :)
August 12, 2013 at 5:33pm   
tea42
Kitchen! I can make sure they're using their time productively and, since I have twins, can help both at the same time. It's easier to spread out as well.
August 12, 2013 at 5:52pm   
hm k
I prefer the kids to do homework in their bedrooms. there are too many distractions in the living areas... I do think the computer should be in a public space though
August 12, 2013 at 6:39pm   
Phoebe Siter
Kitchen table so I can help with questions
August 12, 2013 at 6:56pm   
ssullivan3
I'd love to say something like study or even bedroom, but kitchen table is just way more practical and realistic for us.
August 12, 2013 at 7:04pm   
bjens
My boys memorized things - multiplication tables, state capitals - while shooting baskets or riding bikes around the cul de sac but everything else was at the kitchen table. Tried to set them up with desks in their rooms but I guess misery loves company.
August 12, 2013 at 7:39pm   
tamea
Kitchen is the hub of the house.
August 12, 2013 at 8:48pm   
dstroer
Always the kitchen table. In my room all alone was just a bit too quiet and easier to get help when needed!
August 12, 2013 at 8:58pm   
haybigmomma
Dinning room table is the main study area. My kids don't like to be alone, and they we are available to help when questions arise.
August 12, 2013 at 8:58pm   
Michel Turcotte
2 kids, one parent : kitchen table offers the maximum available space... And great vue on what they are doing ;)
August 12, 2013 at 9:13pm   
pixiu171
kids usually study in the kitchen because their parent's are either cooking or doing stuff in the kitchen. The table in the kitchen makes it comfortable for all kinds of study while asking your folks some insights in your homework or ideas about your work.
August 12, 2013 at 10:54pm   
santilliserrano
Now that my kids are actually teenagers, they do hw in their bedroom. However, the computer and printer is at the eating area of the kitchen!
August 12, 2013 at 11:02pm   
lgsc
As I grew up, I always did my homework in my room. If I had a question, I always asked my older sister who I shared rooms with. Both of us were pretty studious, and I remember my parents yelling at us to get out of our rooms a little more. Now, my son does his homework at the dining table - easier to answer his questions and also make sure he's doing the work! Funny how differently generations turn out.
August 13, 2013 at 12:48am   
Carol Price
A specific place like a home office is best for studying. There are no distractions and you have everything at your fingertips.
August 13, 2013 at 5:12am     
Iris Krall
Homework is done where ever in the house there's a chair and suitable surface area. It's down to the individual, some need peace and no distractions, others need hubbub, company and things going on to concentrate fully and be productive.
August 13, 2013 at 5:13am   
mgreen1
Homework time works great siting at the kitchen table as long as all kids have their space and attention as needed. I think depending on age it may transition in later years to the bedroom.
August 13, 2013 at 5:30am   
juanita2
My granddaughters have been here for the summer and we have been working on refreshing their minds by playing homework games in the livingroom. they are very comfortable and seem to be excelling wonderfully and have fun at the same time.
August 13, 2013 at 5:57am   
armygirl1987
I do not really think that it matters where they do the homework. Think they need quietness and a place to concentrate.
August 13, 2013 at 6:13am     
Jennifer Coker
When my kids are older, I may do bedroom, but at 6 and 8 I can still help them get homework done while I make dinner.
August 13, 2013 at 8:35am     
ilovemickey
I think the bedroom. That's where I study all the time. I have a desk in my room. I like the bedroom because I can sit at my desk, lay on my bed, or sit on the floor. I also feel more organized in my room.
August 13, 2013 at 8:55am   
Premier Design & Cabinetry
The kitchen table has always been a favorite for my kids. They're very diligent with their schoolwork but when they get tired or just need a break there's always food for snacking.
August 13, 2013 at 8:56am   
Sequins
I think different age groups have different requirements, so a place suitable for different ages. Kitchen table until they reach the teens. Living room or bedroom until they reach university, then may be a study room where there are least no of distractions, so focus is on careers.
August 13, 2013 at 9:14am   
reeb68
Kitchen island always works for my kids - they need back ground noise, plus it's convenient while I'm making dinner if they need help.
August 13, 2013 at 9:20am   
ginaj8103
I was drawn to the photo with 2 desks and 2 red chairs...probably because I have twins and would love to do this for them! Most likely, we will be doing homework at the kitchen table or on the bar stools at the kitchen counter during their younger years. I did most of my homework on my bed when I was in junior high and high school, but I would've loved my own desk!
August 13, 2013 at 9:42am   
Melissa Tew
After a long day at school for the kids and a long day at work for my husband and I, homework on the "Isle of Smarties" (kitchen island) lets us help out and simply be present while they are doing their homework and we are preparing food to fuel their dreams!
August 13, 2013 at 9:44am     
cjsantafe
Kitchen table makes them feel a part of things, and they can easily ask for help during dinner prep. Being able to focus amidst activity is a good skill to build, and the rest of us are respectful of those doing homework.
August 13, 2013 at 3:21pm   
hmb4444
The kitchen table is much like a classroom and creates a culture of learning in the home. The right table, comfortable chair (not too comfortable) and lots of natural light goes a long way to making study possible. If the space is inviting, clean and calm, kids can settle and be inspired.
August 14, 2013 at 2:38am   
Dew Prince
The Kitchen, especially if their is an island.
I think that its a place where you can open your mind to be creative and free. and its easy to ask for help if mommy or daddy is cooking dinner, than walking around getting distracted.

The living room and bed room I believe "psychologically" it automatically comes with the relax and cozy mood that you do not want your child to be in while studying or doing their homework.

Where as the office gives them a pressure making them feel like they are obligated to work hard, fast, and well.
and no child likes being obligated to do ANYTHING. plus no one is their to look or remind them that they are working, if not that can cause their minds to run away to another land with the help of the computer. Facebook, twitter etc...
August 14, 2013 at 3:34am   
roxannemreed
the dining room table...large enough to spread out, good lighting, close to snacks and drinks, not comfortable enough to fall a sleep
August 14, 2013 at 5:06am   
Matt Butcher
If I really needed to focus, then the kitchen table was the place to be, but most the time I would work on my bed.
August 14, 2013 at 6:28am   
moceansylvia
If my children need help its easier to give them help while preparing dinner or snacks
August 14, 2013 at 7:24am   
kitykity7
I personally think an office/homework center works best. The parent can control electronics access, while the student is surrounded by inspirational and mind focusing decor. Further nothing gets lost if storage and space is organized for that purpose. To me, it doesn't have to be a whole "room"; for example our kitchen table spot is filled w 2 desks and a bookcase. It has the computers, printers, calandars, crafts, etc. and we call it the "family command" center: everyone stays informed and my 4 year old has a spot to color that isn't my walls!
August 14, 2013 at 10:08am     
Catherine Leonard
By the end of the day sometimes its nice to have a parent available and Mom's are in the kitchen, the hub of the house
August 14, 2013 at 2:02pm   
Shakúff
kitchen table!
August 14, 2013 at 2:18pm   
kar8abun
I know that I'm supposed to say a desk in a quiet area, but I have to go with the kitchen table as the most realistic solution for our household of 4 students. It's easier for me to tutor and get dinner completed. :D My son even practices his instrument in the kitchen because it "feels better in here". Go figure!
August 14, 2013 at 2:23pm   
Angela Yokota
Any kind of family time is quality, and what is more communal than the kitchen?
August 14, 2013 at 2:51pm   
1962valiant
The kitchen table has my vote. Younger children are more at ease when Mom or Dad are present at the same time, preparing dinner, etc. Assisting and spending time with them is invaluable to their educational success.
August 15, 2013 at 11:34am   
murieltoca
The kitchen area is multitask and it's the get together of many activities and homework is very convenient
August 15, 2013 at 12:59pm   
connierae24
We prefer the living / family room : has a calming and relaxing feel: kitchen for us : is to "busy" family room is where we keep our "homework reward box" once homework is completed : and after we review for any errors our child can choose a reward for the homework box ; this includes everything from a pass for a movie night- to a special sweet treat - to gaming time (with a time limit ) to a single dollar - having a sleepover : to a free "get out of emptying the dishwasher" card this has worked great for our 2 boys ages 18 and10 !
August 15, 2013 at 4:43pm     
Tina Thomas
I Am Going To Stick To The Bed Room and Having Their Own Little Spot To Have Quiet Time,Dinner Room's Should Be Left For Dinner And Family Time Together ,That's Where Families Should Have Their Time Together The Home work need's To Stay With Their Bed Room's ,If They Are Fortunate To Have A Spot Like That !
August 15, 2013 at 5:00pm   
jillian_haberman
I think that it used to be the norm for kids to work at the kitchen tables because "Mom helped with homework and she was in the kitchen cooking" was also the norm. With norms shifting I think a study area in the office where mom/dad is hooked into her/his computer working on closing this or that file and is available to help would be a more logical place now. For teens also who need less assistance but still need to have someone keeping a passing eye on what they are doing a space in the study makes sense. I feel strongly that the bed room should be kept for sleeping and sleep preparation, not study, not hanging out and not playing video games or watching TV either. Kids are offered a lot of privacy these days and I don't think this is a good thIng.
August 15, 2013 at 5:06pm   
Carol Zarrilli
My kids did their homework at the kitchen table where I could easily assist while cooking dinner.
August 17, 2013 at 3:52am   
Bill Fry Construction - Wm. H. Fry Const. Co.
School starts Monday 8/19 - can't believe it. Ditto from above. Although our son's desk is set up in his bedroom, I know it is going to be the kitchen counter again this year. :) Rhoda
August 17, 2013 at 4:06am   
hardel
Kids should have a quiet spot in their bedroom away from distractions to do homework.
August 17, 2013 at 4:07am   
Ahh! Products Bean Bag Chairs
My best tip is to add a bean bag chair to kids' spaces. They are proven to encourage reading - especially with kids that don't sit well in rigid traditional chairs. Bean bags let kids reposition easily and into many positions - so they can fidget without losing focus - great of kids with ADHD for example!
August 18, 2013 at 12:37pm   
deidrer
Depends on the child & age. I prefer my children doing their homework at the kitchen table so I can help them while I'm unpacking lunch boxes & backpacks & preparing supper. However my oldest who is 9 does better when he does his homework in the office. It is quiet & there is nothing to distract him. I just float between the two rooms to give help when needed.
August 18, 2013 at 4:25pm   
Jeannie Nguyen
CONGRATULATIONS to Melissa Christine for winning this poll! :) If you still want a chance to win your own Houzz slippers, try commenting on our Dream Backyard poll! Click here: http://www.houzz.com/discussions/609729/Post-your-comment-for-a-chance-to-win--POLL-
August 20, 2013 at 10:56am   
mimi1980
Kitchen table! It's the center of the home and I can multi task with dinner, laundry and cleaning.
August 20, 2013 at 1:00pm   
tgrdnr
I find that a seperate homework space works best. Somewhere where you can have a computer, dictionary, calculatore and anything else you might need right on hand arranged neatly in little drawers. But that space could be anywhere--in the kitchen, a bedroom, livingroom, or even in a completely seperate room all together
August 20, 2013 at 2:21pm   
dgermann
Plenty of space and easy to check that they are doing their homework and if they need any help. It makes almost a family time project.
August 21, 2013 at 9:02am   
Tile Backsplash Poll - Which one looks best?
I will be removing the 4" high granite backsplash and...
POLL: Which of these quartz choices do you like best and why?
I'm not getting any responses to my too long post so...
POLL: Best Outdoor Space?
These spaces were all featured in a recent Ideabook...
POLL: Best Tiny Bedroom?
Can your bedroom be tiny AND inspired? Sure, it can!...
Country Chic
How do you think about this country chic style bedroom? It...
Lordy Lordy, Margo's -
Actually, I don't know how old Margo is, but I do know...
Help me finish this room
We love our new living room / dining room. We have...
Need help choosing quartz countertop. designers Needed!
Hello, Could someone with design expertise please help...
Cozy living room
How to achieve a very cozy inviting warm feeling living...