Tab Pull Installation!
August 10, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I am trying to decide between pulls that are drilled into the backside of the cabinet face and pulls that are drilled into the edge at the top of the cabinet door/drawer. The first option I noticed, creates a gap, which is noticeable on the sides, while the other option means seeing screws every time I open a drawer.

I have read on a few boards that pulls should be "mortised" but I have no idea what this means! Can someone please explain the process and is it expensive/tedious to accomplish? Thank you so much!!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Wow Great Place
I'm assuming you mean this kind of pull? (See photo, below)
When they say mortised, it means a piece of the top edge of the drawer (or door) gets notched out, the exact width of the pull, so that the pull sits flush with the edge of the drawer, rather than sitting on "top" of the wood edge.

August 10, 2013 at 5:59PM      Thanked by Lillian
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Thank you for your response! Now, do you recommend that the cabinets should be mortised? If I should want to change out the hardware, then I probably shouldn't get them mortised, right? Thanks again!
August 11, 2013 at 3:59PM   
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Wow Great Place
Lillian, you have answered your own question! And the final decision will also depend on the thickness of the pull....
August 11, 2013 at 4:20PM     
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Haha! I guess I did. There's enough room so that the pull does not interfere with opening/closing cabinets. I am leaning towards Sugatsune 70mm. :)
August 11, 2013 at 4:30PM     
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Reglazed tile
The tiles in my shower are stained and can't be cleaned....
I need ideas for chairs to go with a table i fell in love with
Here is the table. Medium brown /w/ a golden swirling...
Knotty pine replacement
I put this up last week, but now have a picture. We...
Kitchen paint help! Please!
My cabinets are very similar to bm niveous (creamy)....
New kitchen, but just not working.
Hi all. Here is my dilemma. We built this house...
© 2014 Houzz Inc.
Houzz® The new way to design your home™