Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chassoun

Need help picking paint colors

chassoun
10 years ago
Hello.. I just bought my 1st ever property and i need guidance on selecting the paint color since the existing colors does not seem right.. My personal preference is light, airy, neutral colors.. I'm uploading different pictures from various angels.. I look forward for your feedback.. Thanks in advance..

Comments (22)

• kellyboss
    10 years ago
    I'm not a fan of the accent walls, you have such a big, bright place, and the accent walls really break it up too much. I think you'll have to be very careful with your kitchen cabinet color, that the new color will not clash. I would start there, try to find something that is the same color family as the cabinets, or maybe a shade or two cooler to make the cabinets warmer. And definitely a much lighter tone than what is currently in there. In the picture you have, the cabinets have some orange tone, and the wall has more pink, which clashes. If you match to the cabinets, then go a little bit cooler, it will really make the cabinet color seem rich. Then I would go a couple of shades cooler than that for the adjoining rooms, making sure to stay in the same tone (as far as brightness).
    chassoun thanked kellyboss
  • PRO
    Essentia Interior Design
    10 years ago
    You have a warm colour pallette in the flooring and kitchen benches,so you could use an off white or even a med blue looks great with the browns.You seem to have a lot of bits and pieces on the walls which makes the room very busy, better to have less 3 nice picture on the left wall or one large one is enough, or group the pieces you have on one wall.Pick up the white for some of you furnishings to keep the room looking bright and airy.Would really like to see the cabinet door and cupboard on far wall painted white! good luck
    chassoun thanked Essentia Interior Design
  • PRO
    User
    10 years ago
    If you like to have color on the wall, pick a color from and inspiration piece...artwork or fabric. Your kitchen cabinets will go with just about any color so I wouldn't worry too much. If you want light and airy, pick a paint swatch with multiple tones of the same color. The top 2 or three colors can be used through out the house and your color scheme will blend,
  • PRO
    User
    10 years ago
    Go tot he local hardware store and pick up some of their "paint your home" idea booklets. They have already done the work for you. They are full of pictures and color combinations and you are sure to be drawn to one of the schemes they have put together. Jump in with both feet and don't judge your choices until you have put all the decorative elements into your room. Pillows and fabric will bring all the elements together.
    chassoun thanked User
  • kellyboss
    10 years ago
    Stacey, can I respectfully disagree with you about the cabinet color matching easily with anything? Even in the picture shown above, the paint color seems to clash horribly to me... but maybe it's just me! The cabinets have some orange that I would want to downplay. Here's an example of a cooler color bringing out the richness in medium toned cabinets...
  • karemore55
    10 years ago
    I see a pale blue-grey working in all your rooms with your neutral furniture, carpeting and floor tile.
    chassoun thanked karemore55
  • chassoun
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    What do you think about Benjamin Moore Glass Slipper 1632? I also like the constellation and hancock green above.. I must admit that Im a novice and looking to make this decision as simple as possible, With that said, what color would you choose for the Living, Family and Kitchen facing walls?
  • karemore55
    10 years ago
    First color shown below is the Glass Slipper you are wondering about. Second color is Whirlpool (BM) which I kind of pictured - something with a bit more grey in it. To me, the Glass Slipper color is a bit bathroomy, whereas Whirlpool or something similar is quite neutral and will go with a lot of different colors. The third color is Slate Blue. You could use this in your family room where you might want more saturation for a cozier feel, and then use Whirlpool or similar on all the other main living area walls. I like the Hancock Green that you mentioned, so you if you are preferring greens it certainly could work. It just might not be as versatile to decorate around as something more greyish.
  • karemore55
    10 years ago
    Also, your LR and FR window walls have a lot of style already, so I don't think you need to further accentuate them by changing the color of tone on them.
  • sullivbl
    10 years ago
    Benjamin moore has a great line of "Historical Colors"- timeless, classic colors that really work well. http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/for-your-home/color-gallery#&ce_vm=2&ce_fam=6&ce_col=HC
    chassoun thanked sullivbl
  • Christy Springer
    10 years ago
    I just re- did all of my trim , casings, crown molding, and base boards in Benjamin Moore's "White Diamond" it has a lot of gray which toned down a ton of Cherry wood flooring. I did my kitchen and foyer walls in "Smoke Embers" BM. Also a really light sweet neutral gray that gives an almost nostalgic glow to the space . I followed up my living room in "Storm" BM and it is a bit richer in tone , adds a hint of blue undertone but not enough to be "Blue" neutral, classy, and looks soooo good!! I will send a pic as soon as I get some box's out of the way as I just moved in. :) I researched so many Houzz and Pinterest pics before choosing , and these cooled off all the red and orange wood tones. Also painted my kitchen cabinets in White Diamond. Soft and pretty.. Good luck with whatever you decide!
    chassoun thanked Christy Springer
  • PRO
    Stamps Design Services
    10 years ago
    Chassoun, Get color samples and try them in your room(s), in different areas. Paint colors appear differently in in the changing light from morning, afternoon and evening. I posted colors, just to give you an example of colors that are subtle.... (I do like glass slipper) :-)
    chassoun thanked Stamps Design Services
  • chassoun
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thank you all for your feedback thus far.. I really appreciated..

Here is what Im leaning towards.. Please let me know what you think..

Formal Living Room (Pic 1 & 2): BM Whirlpool
    Kitchen Facing Wal (Pic 3)l: BM Glass Slipper
    Family Room (Pic 4): BM Constellation

I look forward for your response.

Kind Regards
  • karemore55
    10 years ago
    It sounds like a harmonious combination. Of course, at the very least you will want to bring home the paint chips and hold them up to the walls you are using them on, and hold them up to other surfaces like your kitchen cabinets, sofa, fireplace tiles,etc. really make sure they will work. I usually bring home at least 3 possible contenders for each room and one usual,y emerges as the clear choice. You can also buy sample size pots and paint a section of wall, then observe throughout the day to be even more accurate. Personally, I have never had the patience to do it this way. And I have rarely regretted my choice. You might want to double check the Whirlpool color because, even though I have seen it in rooms and it is beautiful, it apparently does has a hint of violet undertone, so may not be the best choice in every space. Good luck!
  • chassoun
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks

I do plan to remodel the kitchen i.e. paint the cabinets and install granite countertops.. From my limited research, it would appear that I need to choose the granite 1st before deciding on the cabinet color. With that said, I'm curious to know your recommendation with regards to the cabinet color and the type of granite based on my color selection for Living, Kitchen and Family (Whirlpool, Glass Slipper and Constellation).

Many thanks
  • PRO
    Crimson Design & Construction
    10 years ago
    I would love a bright yellow in that kitchen! Or even a muted yellow like this butter: http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/butter
  • karemore55
    10 years ago
    I attached the Glass Slipper sample once again for a side by side comparison. Next 2 pics are kitchens with grey cabinets and then white cabinets. Notice the whitish countertop on grey cabinets, and brownish on cream/white cabinets. So they both look great and its more about your personal preference here. The 4th pic is a beautiful quartz from Cambrian that might be perfect with Glass Slipper and cream cabinets, but you really need to hold paint chips right up to the quartz sample to get the tones right. The reason I posted a pic of quartz is because the trend is somewhat moving away from granite and quartz requires no sealing and is actually harder than granite because of the resins they add to it. Prices are similar to granite, but granite can vary wildly in price while quartz is pretty much all the same price point (at least it was for me where I live). So I'd love to steer you toward quartz! In next comment is a whitish sample of quartz which would look good with grey cabinets, kind of like in that pic. For either grey or cream cabinets, a good way to get the color which will work best is to either go to the Benjamin Moore website where they show you complementary or trim colors for your chosen color, or right into. A store for some personal assistance. I'm not a designer and don't have a fan deck, so don't have a particular color in mind. And, again, it all depends on these colors working with everything. I definitely recommend picking countertop first, then the paint (both walls and cabinets).
  • PRO
    Stamps Design Services
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    I find painting parts of spaces different colors makes the areas look disjointed and smaller. A few areas may call for an accent wall, but not all rooms do. A good example is the fireplace wall (family room) the f.p. surround and the wall are both white, using color there would call attention to the fireplace. I would buy samples of your colors and paint a section of wall in each room, and look at it at different times to make it suits you; before going through the expense of purchasing paint and doing the work (or hiring painters). I also strongly suggest using a water-based primer, (which you can have tinted) before painting; it is cheaper than paint and can save you from having to do multiple coats of paint. (One coat paint and paint with primer, I have seen both fail!)
  • karemore55
    10 years ago
    Here's that white quartz sample, again next to Glass Slipper. This would be a fresh, modern look to me. And white, cream or grey cabinets could work here.
  • PRO
    Stamps Design Services
    10 years ago
    What colors were you considering for your cabinets? Rustoleum makes paints intended for cabinets...
  • chassoun
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I'm leaning toward white or cream cabinets.. Thanks