Man who HATES puppies needs rug advice.
tasihagisavas
I need a cool rug to go with my current set of furniture. I am moving into a loft apartment; below please find my couch, coffee table, the fireplace which the couch will be facing (in progress), and my flooring (shown in the kitchen but the same floors apply to living room). Please give me some rug suggestions. Did I mention, I HATE puppies?
bluenan
You're too much! I'll do some searching when I have more time, but mforr is probably already on the hunt!
August 10, 2013 at 8:46PM        Thanked by tasihagisavas
giniaginia
perfect...
August 10, 2013 at 8:53PM     
mefor
You bet I am!! Hold on two minutes, they're on their way. And there's a lot :)
August 10, 2013 at 8:57PM     
mefor
Boom
August 10, 2013 at 8:58PM     
mefor
More
August 10, 2013 at 8:59PM     
tasihagisavas
They are nice but would it make sense to go lighte in lieu of dark floors and dark couch? and how large would you go? 9x12 or 8x10?
August 10, 2013 at 9:00PM     
mefor
You can go either light or dark, hoping groveraxle will jump in tomorrow and maybe do a little magic. Need to know more about shapes and dimension of space, I'm giving you a boatload so we can narrow some of choices down to a few styles and we can explore those styles more, sound ok? Because there's more baby, here they come :)
August 10, 2013 at 9:04PM        Thanked by tasihagisavas
mefor
More
August 10, 2013 at 9:05PM     
mefor
More
August 10, 2013 at 9:07PM     
August 10, 2013 at 9:07PM     
mefor
More
August 10, 2013 at 9:08PM     
tasihagisavas
These are great options. I came across this rug when looking for wallpapers. Not sure who makes it. But what did yo you think? Can we do better.? Or would something like this work.
August 10, 2013 at 9:08PM     
mefor
Most of the ones I've posted have some bit of blue, blue grey, teal, indigo in them. We of course can look at other color ways, but at least we can narrow down some kind of style. One or two I hate, a couple are slightly more feminine, some are cool overdye looks, some are ultra modern and some are very monotone with a bit of textural pattern. Have fun :)
August 10, 2013 at 9:11PM   
giniaginia
Like
August 10, 2013 at 9:13PM     
mefor
I like that a lot. I'd hazard a guess that it's a very pricy option. Not sure how light your wallet may be after purchase in Hoboken, let me know if I'm looking for some $$$$ or perhaps more like $$. The ones I posted are definitely $$. But I can take over bluenan's fancy girl status and go a little crazy with some one of a kind gorgeous options.
August 10, 2013 at 9:15PM   
tasihagisavas
Lets def stick to $$ please!
August 10, 2013 at 9:16PM     
mefor
Ok, sounds like a plan. I'm hitting the hay, I'll check back tomorrow, maybe I can source that rug in your pic, unless someone gets to it first. Talk to you tomorrow :)
August 10, 2013 at 9:28PM      Thanked by tasihagisavas
NOW I'm offended. Pffft.
August 10, 2013 at 9:31PM     
N.O.R,LLC
I always recommend my client specially if they are single and socialize alot have variety of siting on their
option ,i m not fan of sectional specially if you have one siting area use , your fire place need siting area I would go with ottoman ,have you choose grey ,you have option of side chair next to the window on left side of fire place.
August 10, 2013 at 9:32PM        Thanked by tasihagisavas
mefor
Ruh roh !!!! ;)
August 10, 2013 at 9:33PM     
N.O.R,LLC
I like Arhus and look at global view and roost for tables,Roost carry modern acc and tables and its contemporary also not$$$$$
August 10, 2013 at 9:44PM     
bluenan
I love the rug you have in your pic, tasihagisavas. It looks like silk in sort of an ombre, but I agree it does look pricey. I like that it reads almost solid but with some movement and variation for interest. You're getting good at this!
August 11, 2013 at 6:47AM     
bluenan
Whoa, giniaginia, I just looked at your rug source! Gorgeous rugs, but I'm no longer the fancy girl, you are! I guess the one-of-a-kind should have been a tip-off.
August 11, 2013 at 6:52AM     
Amy Stanley
I am thinking here is your opportunity to get a splash of color- unless you want to stick with the monotone look-Note the table in your inspiration has color but yours might just blend in.
August 11, 2013 at 7:15AM     
I don't know- are you still straight?
August 11, 2013 at 7:22AM   
tasihagisavas
If you must know, I'm ASEXUAL in this thread with a strong dislike for juvenile dogs. Still need rug advice though.
August 11, 2013 at 7:31AM     
dclostboy
I have the Mitchell Gold power shag rug in gargoyle (gray). It looks good with my black and white furniture, but the natural color might work better in your palette. And it wears great (even though I have two puppies).
http://www.mgbwhome.com/POWER-SHAG-NATURAL-8-x-10BR-available-online--P9249.aspx#
August 11, 2013 at 7:34AM   
Daisy is still miffed, but Grover, being a guy and feeling some solidarity with you, wishes to add this to your decor. I'm not sure he's being entirely genuine with this suggestion, however.
August 11, 2013 at 7:54AM        Thanked by tasihagisavas
mefor
Can I just shorten your name to tasi? So much faster.
Still looking at area rugs, also posted about wallpaper in other thread. Just wanted to show you this one, grey/blue/green, very attractive and very affordable. It's kind if a chameleon that would go with everything.
Comes in 8'2" x 10 and 10' x 13'
Home decorators
August 11, 2013 at 7:58AM      Thanked by tasihagisavas
What about a flokati to lighten up the space with the dark floors?

August 11, 2013 at 7:59AM     
mefor
Pretty sure you can ask for swatches of these rugs too
Grover has an interesting idea I think ;)
August 11, 2013 at 8:00AM   
bluenan
I like the above rug posted by mforr, it looks like it may bring out some of the color in the stacked stone and accents on the coffee table trunk. You have to be careful with cool greys and warm greys, however. Yes, I would definitely recommend samples.
August 11, 2013 at 8:21AM     
FYI- I really didn't need to know, but you made a point of it when you mentioned it in your other post, I was just trying to make a point back LOL *shaking head* How I feel ;)

August 11, 2013 at 8:33AM     
mefor
Oooh. The zombie dog would frighten off the puppies, something to keep in mind when accessorizing ;)
August 11, 2013 at 8:45AM     
I am a big fan of West Elm's rugs. (Disclaimer: I have two of them.) They are different from what everyone else carries, modern, and very affordable.

I would have included your sofa in the images below, but it overloaded the space. (There was also a big spot after the puppies got down; you probably should have it cleaned.) My recommendation: go monochromatic in the room and bring your color in with ART as depicted in the last image.
August 11, 2013 at 9:02AM        Thanked by tasihagisavas
Yes, you must get samples. I thought my pick was Nordic (upper right of my photos above) until I inserted your couch and the grays just didn't go. Here is West Elm's Snow Peak with your sofa, and your pups, and that fabulous head:
August 11, 2013 at 9:10AM     
And since I suggested going monochromatic, I suppose I should look for puppies that are more gray than brown. I hope you're not already attached.
August 11, 2013 at 9:11AM     
mefor
I do like that Nordic west elm. Also like the head, though it may work like the zombie dog to scare off puppies. Seems counterproductive to Grover's plans.
August 11, 2013 at 9:30AM      Thanked by tasihagisavas
the essentials inside
If you're looking for gray, here's a nice option: :)

~Lyvonne
August 11, 2013 at 9:56AM     
mefor
Hear dogs are all moviestars in their shades, love it ;)
I'll check back later, pool and beach are calling me, see you guys later :)
August 11, 2013 at 10:03AM   
the essentials inside
In addition to the lovely gray accessory above :) , here are some rug ideas:

~Lyvonne
August 11, 2013 at 10:07AM     
Good pick, Lyvonne. That pup in his doggles is even appropriately dressed for tasi's first dinner party.
August 11, 2013 at 10:45AM     
bluenan
I think tasi said his couch looks darker in person, so it's difficult to do the whole rug thing online. Here's one that's interesting but may be too dark. http://www.arearugs.com/momeni-sr-04-satara-collection
August 11, 2013 at 3:20PM     
tasihagisavas
Thanks so much guys! Some amazing pics. and as always, groveraxle working her magic. I think my favorites so far are all on the lighter side. I like the rug I suggested, as well as the snow peak from west elm. The one on the top left which Lyvonne recommended looks fun, but maybe too dark?
August 11, 2013 at 3:36PM     
Your welcome- now go find yourself ;)
August 11, 2013 at 3:38PM     
bluenan
Here's another, all wool and a good price. I totally agree with groveraxle about going monochromatic and adding color and impact with art. The space is small so a monochromatic base will be cohesive. http://www.arearugs.com/surya-bristol-collection-brt2909-transitional-rug
August 11, 2013 at 3:58PM     
Definitely, the lighter rugs look better, IMO. As to size, it should be big enough to put at least the front feet of all furniture on it.
August 11, 2013 at 3:59PM     
Dorota Mitoraj
Like you don't have enough option yet!!!.
More rugs on my website : www.domirugs.com
August 11, 2013 at 4:04PM   
August 11, 2013 at 4:04PM      Thanked by tasihagisavas
mefor
Another one, mix of light and dark, greys browns and greens.
August 11, 2013 at 4:05PM   
mefor
Hey, almost the same as mine posted at the same time bluenan!! Cool beans!! :)
August 11, 2013 at 4:06PM     
bluenan
August 11, 2013 at 4:08PM     
tasihagisavas
Thanks mforr and bluenan! I'd be happy with either! Awesome job guys!
August 11, 2013 at 4:08PM     
Mforr. Can you find anything in a graphic contemporary design. Gray back ground with bold design? 8 x10.
August 11, 2013 at 4:25PM   
mefor
Hmmm... Maybe, I've got some more here and there are definitely some bold ones, please let me post them all, it's a compulsion, I know. But I must purge them from my system once I collect them for you. Be patient with me ;)
August 11, 2013 at 5:05PM     
mefor
More
August 11, 2013 at 5:06PM     
mefor
More
August 11, 2013 at 5:07PM   
mefor
More
August 11, 2013 at 5:08PM   
mefor
Ok, I feel much better, posted all of them. What do you think of the first group? Kind of what you're looking for?
August 11, 2013 at 5:09PM   
mefor
Few more
August 11, 2013 at 5:19PM     
mefor
More
August 11, 2013 at 5:20PM     
tasihagisavas
I like the barbwire one on the lower right hand side but maybe too dark still?
August 11, 2013 at 5:38PM     
silverscreenstar
Not that we have much in common, but in the interest of being helpful, try the Joss & Main website. They almost always have area rugs for sale. Some of the deals are awesome and some of those pictured above, I have actually seen on their website. They claim that prices are up to 70% lower than conventional retailers. The snag is NO RETURNS, so BE SURE. Like getting a puppy, but not as complicated. You should do just fine.
August 11, 2013 at 5:40PM     
sstarr
go with the barbed wire rug
August 11, 2013 at 5:41PM     
silverscreenstar
I bought a gorgeous area rug from Joss & Main a few months ago. 80% virgin wool from NZ, 20% silk. I bought an 8' x 10' version. Luxurious, thick pile. Soft for my doggie's footsies. Paid less than $800.00. I have seen it elsewhere online, as high as $1,500.00, plus. Very happy. Beautiful quality, but you have to be a bit savvy. Some deals are better than others. Like puppies.
August 11, 2013 at 5:48PM   
mefor
Doesn't look bad, I like a bit of drama, and you'll have a huge expanse of light colored concrete wall.
August 11, 2013 at 5:50PM     
silverscreenstar
As to size, position furniture BEFORE buying the area rug. See how much floor space you have remaining. If you buy a patterned area rug, as opposed to one of a solid colour, the pattern should not be obscured by any of your furniture., So it will likely be smaller than what you would buy if selecting an area rug of a solid colour. The sofa (AKA future dog bed) looks kinda large. You didn't provide any room dimensions, or measurements for the sofa. Without these, hard to be more specific. Kinda like talking about a puppy, without knowing the breed, age, or gender.
August 11, 2013 at 6:04PM     
tasihagisavas
Hi Silverscreenstar, very funny!! And you made a fair point. Sorry I didn't mention it before. The sofa's dimensions are: 107.5" w x 77.5" d x 42" d x 39" h http://www.potterybarn.com/products/pb-comfort-square-upholstered-3-piece-sectional/?pkey=e%7Cpb%2Bsquared%2Bcomfort%7C25%7Cbest%7C0%7C1%7C24%7C%7C11&cm_src=PRODUCTSEARCH||NoFacet-_-NoFacet-_-NoMerchRules-_-
August 11, 2013 at 6:10PM     
silverscreenstar
Room size?
August 11, 2013 at 6:31PM   
silverscreenstar
You're gonna need some bling in that room to help reflect the light. Sofa fabric is dark, make sure you buy shiny polished chrome or stainless steel lamps!
August 11, 2013 at 6:34PM      Thanked by tasihagisavas
tasihagisavas
Hard to tell...its a studio apartment with a sleeping alcove. I guess if i had to guess, the room is is 14 feet by 30?
August 11, 2013 at 6:35PM   
silverscreenstar
The barbed wire rug is out. Way too dark. Even darker than your sofa.
August 11, 2013 at 6:37PM   
tasihagisavas
Here's the layout of the entire apartment which is just 735 square feet. The area which we are working on is the area i surrounded in Red. I will be having my couch against one wall, and facing the TV and fireplace which is on the opposite wall.
August 11, 2013 at 6:38PM     
silverscreenstar
Thanks for the guesstimate on the room size. Think an 8' x 10' rug would be too large, especially if patterned. I would wait to buy the rug until furniture is placed. Find one you like, so only remaining issue is the size, which you can determine better after move-in date. Also, you can then get feedback from friends as to their views, when they see the amount and shape of the remaining floorspace. Not a large area. About 1/3 of the size of the entire unit, so about 1/3 of the square footage of your apartment, less the sofa and other furniture, that will be in that area. If you want to see/more or less hardwood, that is also a consideration based upon personal preference. I also note that this area of the unit is also slightly narrower than the rest of the apartment, if you look at the left exterior (common wall). The right exterior wall appears to be straight. Is this an end unit? Just curious...former realtor here.
August 11, 2013 at 6:41PM   
Saw the rug you picked. It's not bad. But I would like to see some color in floor. I hope mforr can work her magic.
August 11, 2013 at 6:45PM     
tasihagisavas
Silverscreenstar, funny you mention bling. I bought 2 massive arch mirrors to hang over my couch to reflect the light and the view. It really made a difference in terms of the amount of light in the apartment. Here's the link: http://treasurecombers.net/grande-arch-paneled-wall-floor-mirror.html
August 11, 2013 at 6:46PM     
Nancy Walton
I think you need a pop of color--pillows and maybe a chair. Could be lime, or royal blue, red, yellow--just be BRIGHT ~OO~
August 11, 2013 at 6:51PM     
Nancy Walton
Tasi, just an FYI--groveraxle is a she.
August 11, 2013 at 6:53PM     
mefor
You're surrounded by designing women. ;) and puppies. This is it for me tonight, there are a couple I really like, but I don't want to influence. Talk to you in the morning, have a good night. :)
August 11, 2013 at 7:07PM     
silverscreenstar
As for design, of all the area rugs pictured above, my fav for this room, with this relatively plain sofa, would be the wool ombré from West Elm. I say that because of the varying shades of grey. You can't go wrong. One of them will be virtually identical to your sofa and the others will compliment it. The square shape may be perfect to "fit" into the "L" created by the sofa configuration, so the pattern will not be not be obscured by your furniture.
Size to be determined later. My best advice!
August 11, 2013 at 7:07PM   
mefor
More
August 11, 2013 at 7:08PM     
mefor
More
August 11, 2013 at 7:09PM   
mefor
More
August 11, 2013 at 7:10PM     
mefor
More
August 11, 2013 at 7:10PM   
mefor
More
August 11, 2013 at 7:11PM   
mefor
Last
August 11, 2013 at 7:11PM   
silverscreenstar
Night all! Back tomorrow, if I can mange it. Fractured my hand last week, so doing this slowly!
August 11, 2013 at 7:11PM   
silverscreenstar
Just remember, like buying a puppy, take your time. You can wait and live with the space for awhile after you move in. Get a feel for it, and you'll know what feels "right". You don't need to have every piece of furniture the day you move in!
August 11, 2013 at 7:14PM        Thanked by tasihagisavas
tasihagisavas
Wow so many amazing choices. Mforr, tell me which ones your prefer. I think you have amazing taste. I WANT you to influence. I already have some that I like. and silverscreenstar has told me her choice. So I wanna see where I stand. I like to combine my choices with those of people I respect! Please share!
August 11, 2013 at 7:17PM     
mefor
There's about five that I really like. Wonder if you could guess any of them? give it a shot, pick two. I promise I'll tell if you're right
August 11, 2013 at 7:53PM   
tasihagisavas
I like a lot of them but off the top of my head, these:
August 11, 2013 at 8:02PM   
tasihagisavas
and these
August 11, 2013 at 8:03PM     
I, too, think you should wait on the rug. Get the furniture in place, live with it for awhile, get the puppy house trained...
August 11, 2013 at 8:11PM        Thanked by tasihagisavas
mefor
Pretty good!! I also really like this one and this one
August 11, 2013 at 8:12PM   
tasihagisavas
I like the one to the left! What's it called?
August 11, 2013 at 8:13PM   
mefor
Still love this one too, so many gorgeous tones in it, goes with everything.
August 11, 2013 at 8:16PM     
mefor
Which one, sometimes on houzz the pics are in different order. Lines and circles or cool charcoal drawing?
August 11, 2013 at 8:18PM   
mefor
7'10" x 10'
August 11, 2013 at 8:21PM   
mefor
It's not wool, it's synthetic, not always a bad thing if you're needing something easier to clean. That size is $699
August 11, 2013 at 8:22PM     
mefor
Most of the others are wool.
August 11, 2013 at 8:23PM   
tasihagisavas
charcoal. I meant. I like the progression from light to dark.
August 11, 2013 at 8:35PM     
Natalie
♥ the Ivette rug mforr posted above---second post, bottom left. Gorgeous!!! http://www.homedecorators.com/P/Ivette_Area_Rug/340/
August 11, 2013 at 9:16PM   
mefor
I like that too Natalie, but I think he thinks it's too warm. There's another similar to that that I like as well. Somewhere up there in the earlier posts :)
August 12, 2013 at 4:22AM   
Doggone...
August 12, 2013 at 5:03AM     
mefor
Thanks groveraxle, that's very kind. Any of them float the pupsters boat?
August 12, 2013 at 5:08AM   
Sustainable Dwellings
I got a little dizzy looking at all the rugs! Love some of Mforr's bold rugs. I think with one of those and a 5 gallon crock of sedatives, you can live in NYC...
August 12, 2013 at 5:12AM     
mefor
Thought about sending tasi to abc carpet and home for some eye candy, lots to look at, little to afford, but maybe some ideas of what really appeals to him, and then make a decision with something affordable. At least it's a fun field trip, gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous store. 888 Broadway and 19th street. Go across the street and check out Fishs Eddy, fun stuff for kitchen and table.
August 12, 2013 at 5:13AM     
mefor
And if you go, go around the corner to Ann Sacks on 18th between broadway and park ave south. Drool over some new tiles for bathroom. But don't be tempted, you'll need second mortgage.
August 12, 2013 at 5:27AM   
tasihagisavas
groveraxel, can you please work your magic with these 2 rugs? Thanks!
August 12, 2013 at 6:22AM     
Nancy Walton
You forgot to post the rugs, Tasi.
August 12, 2013 at 7:28AM     
tasihagisavas
OOPS! Sorry Guys! Here they are!
August 12, 2013 at 7:42AM     
mefor
Are you going to put anything on "concrete wall", original art would be great, not always affordable. Saw this on sale, it's kind of different, pottery barn
August 12, 2013 at 7:44AM   
mefor
Love the triple stripe, west elm, right? Did you see the others groveraxle posted above?
August 12, 2013 at 7:45AM   
tasihagisavas
My lovely mforr! i def plan on putting some art on the "concrete" wall. Haven't decided what but I do think your suggestion is cool. I would be awesome the wall art had a more urban theme to go with the concrete theme. Like something resembling graffiti but classy; where it would tie in elements of the apartment and allow me to pull an accent color. Something that wouldn't look out of place on a concrete wall.
Im not sure if what i'm saying is making sense in real life but conceptually seems interesting.
August 12, 2013 at 8:01AM     
mefor
It makes sense, but beyond grey not sure what colors you would like. I think you like blues and teals? Not sure, but I chose that one because of its texture and the fact it would go with everything. I'm thinking an oversized Greek flag is out of the question? ;)
August 12, 2013 at 8:06AM     
mefor
Not graffiti, but definitely urban, sort of. Also on sale PB
August 12, 2013 at 8:08AM      Thanked by tasihagisavas
mefor
These are different. Could make a bit of a gallery wall with these and then one in pop of color that you like? Jus have to know what color the pop would be :)
August 12, 2013 at 8:16AM   
mefor
And these
August 12, 2013 at 8:16AM     
mefor
These rugs are cb2. One very graphic the other has color
August 12, 2013 at 8:31AM     
tasihagisavas
I tend to gravitate towards blues mforr, but grey and yellow do work well together...
August 12, 2013 at 8:36AM     
tasihagisavas
I do like that manhattan piece.. Ties in well with the concrete wall, and the view...
August 12, 2013 at 8:39AM     
mefor
Ask and ye shall receive
August 12, 2013 at 8:47AM   
mefor
More
August 12, 2013 at 8:47AM   
mefor
More
August 12, 2013 at 8:48AM   
mefor
Last
August 12, 2013 at 8:48AM   
tasihagisavas
hey mforr, I thought we were talking about art! Sorry! Although some of those grey and yellow rugs aren't bad. Particularly the last one you posted. But i prefer the grays you and the folks touched on earlier. Yes, It's boring but if we keep it neutral, we can pull an accent color from art and switch it up regularly!
August 12, 2013 at 8:54AM     
August 12, 2013 at 8:54AM     
mefor
No problem tasi, wires crossed. What do you think of the print that fancy girl bluenan posted? It's urban and it's graffiti, no doubt about it :)
Hi bluenan :)
August 12, 2013 at 8:58AM     
tasihagisavas
Yeah this is one one of those situations where conceptually it was appealing, but in practice, I wasn't feeling it. Thanks though bluenan!
August 12, 2013 at 9:00AM     
bluenan
Hi there, and it's blue!
August 12, 2013 at 9:00AM     
bluenan
Hahaha! Tasi, I think deep down you have fairly traditional taste, but with a bit of an edge. Your mirrors are traditional but your concrete wallpaper isn't. It's just finding that perfect balance, and that can be a challenge, but one I know you're up to!
August 12, 2013 at 9:04AM        Thanked by tasihagisavas
tasihagisavas
The mirrors are indeed very traditional. What I was going for there are for the 2 largest mirrors I can put side by side to reflect the view. And these bad boys were 6 feet 6 inches tall and 39 inches wide. So mission accomplished. But yeah, you're 100% right. I do have traditional taste but need to balance that with having more interesting pieces. So that part is a challenge but you guys make it easier and fun!!!
August 12, 2013 at 9:11AM     
D Tokarczyk
ORANGE! Colour is whats needed ;-) All suggestions apart from the yellow suggestions too cold and manly
August 12, 2013 at 9:12AM   
mefor
Here's some things tha might make you react, all different and pretty cool. art.com
August 12, 2013 at 9:15AM   
mefor
More
August 12, 2013 at 9:16AM        Thanked by tasihagisavas
D Tokarczyk
Groovy but more orange needed ;-O
August 12, 2013 at 9:18AM   
mefor
Waiting on your inspiration pics Debra :)
Lay them out girlfriend.
August 12, 2013 at 9:30AM   
bluenan
Ok, this combines urban and your ?love? of puppies...
August 12, 2013 at 9:33AM     
D Tokarczyk
I don't like puppies. Well not in the house. I'm a farmer ha ha. I am only on here looking for ideas for my new build exterior lol. I do like this image though ;-)
August 12, 2013 at 9:38AM     
bluenan
Ummmm, this thread is about an interior, and imo if you own a dog it should be inside with people, dogs are social beings and crave the companionship of humans. Besides it can get very cold, very wet and very hot outside. BTW, I also live on a farm. Ok, I'm stepping down off of my beautifully carved mahogany soapbox...
August 12, 2013 at 9:42AM     
mefor
That's a lot of puppies for the dog hater, lol
And that's cool Debra, but maybe less orange for tasi, he seems to be slightly less out there than some of us more daring people
August 12, 2013 at 9:43AM      Thanked by tasihagisavas
mefor
Hahahaha, bluenan, your dancing with the devil on your soapbox. ;)
August 12, 2013 at 9:44AM   
Before I photoshop your rugs, Tasi, I must weigh in on the art. It's my thing, y'know. If you want to go edgy and urban, go Jean-Michel Basquiat. But what I think would look over-the-top fabulous is one huge Rothko. I don't know if such is even available.

Basquiat: http://www.art.com/gallery/id--a27866/jean-michel-basquiat-posters.htm?ui=1AAC423784194C16A3537913BBEA5A2D&WT.cg_n=Search+Ahead&WT.oss=Jean-Michel+Basquiat&SSK=Jean-Michel+Basquiat

Rothko: http://www.art.com/gallery/id--a4/mark-rothko-posters.htm?ui=1AAC423784194C16A3537913BBEA5A2D&WT.cg_n=Search+Ahead&WT.oss=Mark+Rothko&SSK=Mark+Rothko
August 12, 2013 at 9:47AM     
bluenan
I know, I know, I'm dealing with the client from hell this morning and it's affecting my Chi.
August 12, 2013 at 9:48AM     
bluenan
Love Basquiat!
August 12, 2013 at 9:49AM     
D Tokarczyk
Don't be silly we love dogs in our village. My dog is happy outside in the barn with the other animals even at -30 degrees. He is loved by all our family and he returns this love by protecting our land and animals ;-) The man who is looking for ideas has not been around for a while? Maybe he found ORANGE lol. p.s these art rugs belong in a rockstars apartment or on a wall.
August 12, 2013 at 9:52AM   
mefor
They're not rugs, we keep going back and forth between art and rugs, sorry for any confusion :)
August 12, 2013 at 9:57AM   
Tasi, perhaps all this decorating is taking a toll on your cognitive functioning. You asked to see two rugs, forgot to post them, and then posted three. But here they are:
August 12, 2013 at 10:00AM     
mefor
I included a Basquiat and a Rothko,
Some Pollocks and an atypical Van Gogh.
Rounded off with a Kandinsky and a Soulages.
All art.com
August 12, 2013 at 10:01AM   
mefor
Don't like any of the three rugs, too dull and drab. Maybe Debra's orange or ORANGE is rubbing off on me ;)
August 12, 2013 at 10:02AM     
D Tokarczyk
The man is not looking for art. Hey you two. I have a question on here about the exterior of my new build? You any good with those? P.s no graffitti art although right place right time be great ;-)
August 12, 2013 at 10:05AM     
Grover and Daisy are quite bored with your rugs and have threatened to pee on the next one I bring into your room. Here are their picks, all light, all abstract. Grover and Daisy have impeccable taste.
August 12, 2013 at 10:05AM     
mefor
I think they do have impeccable taste. Love those, serene and cool, no drab. But definitely would look bad with pee stains. Too colorful :)
August 12, 2013 at 10:15AM   
mefor
Debra, put up a link to your dilemma. Though I'm usually more adept at the interiors. :)
August 12, 2013 at 10:16AM   
bluenan
Though didn't Tasi say he thought grey and yellow worked well together?
August 12, 2013 at 10:21AM   
mefor
In artwork, yes, he did say that
August 12, 2013 at 10:29AM   
Love the arch mirror idea. And the turquoise and white zebra rug above by mforr. Good job. I was at Restoration the other day saw some awesome chairs. Distressed gray leather on a chrome swivel base. Tall would work was not sure you want to spend that much $$$. You don't have to spend a lot on rug. $5-700. Is good sometimes can find sells. Better if you can find at store and not ship. The shipping is expensive.
August 12, 2013 at 10:31AM     
The rugs posted today look like art for the floor, which I was talking about. Go bold.
August 12, 2013 at 10:33AM     
mefor
Some of it is art today, nancy, I injected a bit of art into conversation this morning. :)
August 12, 2013 at 10:41AM   
tasihagisavas
Hey guys! Ive been reading all of these and LOVE them. Absolutely love them. I'm having the opposite problem here as I did with my wallpaper. With wallpaper, I couldn't really find one I loved and connected with. Over here, I'm loving everything!!!
August 12, 2013 at 11:03AM     
tasihagisavas
groveraxle, my fair lady, thanks for making my life so simple. I like the last 3 options you chose. and so does mforr. So we can roll with one of those. mforr, Tasi is actually my first name so I'm happy you're calling me that vs. tasiHagisavas (hagisavas is my last name). :)
August 12, 2013 at 11:07AM     
Art should probably be a whole new dilemma. Perhaps for art, tasi can become a straight puppy hater with an incurable disease.

I would keep the concrete wall mostly bare, put art on the opposite wall.
August 12, 2013 at 11:09AM     
Ok mforr as usual I'm confused. But love what you posted.
August 12, 2013 at 11:12AM     
Grover is in love with this one: http://www.homedecorators.com/P/Connell_Area_Rug/
7'10" x 10', $699
August 12, 2013 at 11:14AM     
bluenan
If you like the last three best I'm casting my vote for this one.
August 12, 2013 at 11:14AM        Thanked by tasihagisavas
Too linear, bluenan.
August 12, 2013 at 11:19AM   
bluenan
I like the fluidity of it.
August 12, 2013 at 11:21AM   
The gray one? Nice.
August 12, 2013 at 11:30AM     
mefor
Groveraxle, what is the snake flying across the wall in the last pic? Is it a snake? Funkadelic!!
August 12, 2013 at 11:51AM   
mefor
This one is only in 8 x 11, not 8 x10
August 12, 2013 at 11:58AM   
mefor
Also more expensive. Of course it's wool and the Connell is synthetic.
August 12, 2013 at 12:00PM   
mefor
Tasi,you know we will have to change all the lighting in the place. I am not digging the hall light. But I am very good at finding interesting bargains. Next dilemma, ok?
August 12, 2013 at 12:07PM   
mefor
Groveraxle, maybe it could be titled "puppy with rug fixation seeks funky yet appealing art"
August 12, 2013 at 12:09PM   
bluenan
Spending extra for wool will be worth it in the long run, better feel, much better durability.
August 12, 2013 at 12:18PM     
bluenan, I think it competes too much with all the other linear aspects--fireplace stone, barn doors--in the space. I prefer something more diffuse, amorphous. JMO.
August 12, 2013 at 12:32PM     
The snake is a Guinea snake mask:
August 12, 2013 at 12:34PM     
bluenan
I waited until there was a narrower field of finalists and just threw my opinion out there. Of course it's ultimately Tasi's decision to make, but I'm sticking by mine. What is Houzz but a huge forum of differing opinions?:)
August 12, 2013 at 12:46PM     
mefor
and a place for me to display my soapbox ;)
August 12, 2013 at 12:54PM     
Nancy Walton
Just keep in mind, a wool rug will shed longer than a synthetic one.
August 12, 2013 at 1:03PM     
silverscreenstar
And will wear longer, if cared for properly, too. Much better quality and value.
August 12, 2013 at 1:12PM     
silverscreenstar
Back! Sorry it took so long. Had other issues to deal with here.
August 12, 2013 at 1:13PM   
silverscreenstar
Keep in mind if you get a patterned area rug, you will have to get another plain chair. Should be in a brighter or lighter colour, but not another print, otherwise you risk a very "busy" room, not relaxing.
August 12, 2013 at 1:15PM   
silverscreenstar
I still say, wait and see how it all looks when you move in and then decide on size, colour, etc.
August 12, 2013 at 1:15PM   
silverscreenstar
Groveraxle, I like the snake, BUT not for this setting. Too dark. The rug needs to provide a lighter touch. Sofa is large and also quite dark. If sofa had been taupe, this rug would have been awesome. Snake also appears to be more taupe than grey, on my monitor, anyway.i also think this rug may be too large for the area.
August 12, 2013 at 1:17PM   
suzykparis
Style over practicality. The endless question. I love wool but it's high maintenance and sheds terribly. Snakes? Okay then. There are tons of cool ones to choose from; I like the black and white ones with the graphic designs you picked earlier, personally. But it's not my house. Two words: Crate Training.
August 12, 2013 at 1:46PM     
@silverscreenstar, the snake is a wooden mask. I hung it on the concrete entry wall. Maybe this will help.
August 12, 2013 at 2:59PM     
bluenan
I've had three large wool rugs for many years and they have never shed, even when new, and they still look great. Just sayin'...
August 12, 2013 at 3:05PM     
mefor
I actually was thinking of price as the reason for it. Love wool, but if he's trying to update the whole place, sometimes you get what you can afford and live with it for a few years until you can get what you really want. And the pattern is very good with the sofa and coffee table, as well as the "concrete wall"
August 12, 2013 at 3:15PM   
bluenan
Yes, I would choose the rug I liked, and price is certainly a factor in the decision. Either one will look fab!
August 12, 2013 at 3:26PM     
mefor
Win win, they're both awesome. Look great in groveraxles pics.
August 12, 2013 at 3:35PM   
silverscreenstar
Groveraxle, thanks for the clarification....sorry!
August 12, 2013 at 3:48PM     
silverscreenstar
Travisinteriors: a lot of websites and stores, offer free delivery, within the US, for rugs, especially if over $300.00, often less.
August 12, 2013 at 3:52PM     
silverscreenstar
I live in Canada, buy my rugs in the US, have them shipped (free) to the UPS store, near the border, (upstate NY) and cart them home in the car. I drive an Accord, so not big, but do-able! I have to pay the 13% HST (tax), at the border, which is what I would pay if I bought the same items here. Saves me a bundle. Worth the aggravation. Thank God for the "Free Trade Agreement" (NAFTA). Canadian prices are crazy. Americans are soooo lucky!
August 12, 2013 at 3:56PM     
the essentials inside
I have to tell you all that I am enjoying following this thread! :)

~Lyvonne
August 12, 2013 at 4:08PM     
jabbott2012
You're all killin' me with all the pooch references :) Nice job!
August 12, 2013 at 7:19PM     
silverscreenstar
Doggone it, where is Tasi? Anyone seen him today? I keep popping in and out, hoping to catch him, but so far no luck. It's like trying to catch a runaway dog, off leash.
August 12, 2013 at 8:35PM   
tasihagisavas
Hey guys! Sorry just got home. Had a full day of work and then had to go to the apartment to make sure that the contractor wrapped up today! And he did! All that's left is painting the place and of course cleaning, and I'm ready to move in. And of course, accessorizing with some of the beautiful suggestions from my new friends! Here's the TV wall now...pretty much complete. And mforr, I agree; the chandelier needs to go! You guys are truly the best!!!
August 12, 2013 at 8:43PM     
silverscreenstar
My Joss & Main rug, 80% NZ wool and 20% silk, was less than $800.00, no shipping. It's 8' x10'. Would have been at least 2K, maybe more, if I had bought it here. Sure, they would have delivered it, but the difference is a lot to pay for delivery!
August 12, 2013 at 8:48PM   
Fireplace looks great, but what are those things below and on the sides? For components or something? (Don't mind me; I still have a big old CRT and have no idea about new TVs.) And what chandelier? You mean that fixture at the top of the wall? I don't see any electrical boxes in the ceiling.

Speaking of ceilings, did we establish how high yours is? You're going to need floor length drapes. Custom. $$$$$. They'll be beautiful though.
August 12, 2013 at 9:28PM     
armygirl1987
Not trying to hijack a thread just trying to get groveraxle's help for a friend. http://www.houzz.com/discussions/604336/Is-anyone-willing-to-help-me-select-art-
August 12, 2013 at 9:36PM     
tasihagisavas
Groveraxle, the things to the left and underneath are surround sound speakers! The chandelier mforr was referring to can be seen in the wallpaper pics, although you have since replaced it with a trendier option. Lastly, the ceilings are 14 feet tall. I think I want to stay away from curtains initially and just install shades.
Do they make blackout shades
August 13, 2013 at 6:11AM     
bluenan
Hi Tasi, your room is looking amazing, that TV is a man's best friend, forget puppies! I suggest with art and accessories you take it slow and not be in a hurry to fill the space with meaningless items. Search for art that speaks to you, there may be galleries and art fairs of local artists that can be a good source of original art. I'm thinking you may have traveled, at least to Greece, and perhaps have collected some interesting things that could be incorporated into the mix. Make the space personal and you will love being in it...
August 13, 2013 at 6:29AM     
genesplicr
You need some color. If you are bold, go for a red rug. Otherwise, I would go for an ombre rug so that you have some lighter color brought in against the floor. I love the blue patterned rugs that have been suggested, but they don't go with your furniture. Stay away from jumbled patterns. Perhaps find a colored rug that has a grey design on it.
August 13, 2013 at 6:33AM     
Yes, tasi, they make blackout shades. And that's a good idea. It's in keeping with the minimalist look you're trending toward.

We haven't seen the back wall opposite the fireplace. I assume that's where the huge mirrors will go. That wall could end up being a bit problematic. We'll see.

Also, while you've been working, I've been out spending your money on the dining/entry space. I may have saved you a bit though. Do you still have the rug you bought before you decided to go a different direction? I am trying to work it into the dining space; will show you the results in a bit.

And bluenan is on point about taking your time and finding the art and accessories that speak to you. IMO, a successful room has three basic attributes: it's beautiful, interesting, and reflects the personality of its owner.
August 13, 2013 at 7:17AM     
mefor
While I love color, I definitely see the rugs looked at yesterday as the most versatile for any accessories or artwork that will be chosen. Remember there's a wall of windows that will provide an ever changing sky and a beautiful skyline to be the show stopper. :)
August 13, 2013 at 7:22AM     
mefor
Groveraxle, I am also spending his money for the lighting and other bits and pieces, I will split the loot with you. Tasi will wish he had a guard dog to keep the vaults protected ;D
But at least he will love that gorgeous new space
August 13, 2013 at 7:25AM     
Here's one way to make your dining room work with the rug you bought that reflects the personality of its designer (me) who loves minimal, industrial, and ethnic. The furniture isn't yours, but was the closest I could come that was oriented properly, so it will do for now. Since your table and benches are dark, you really do need a rug or they will disappear into the floor. Since your rug is brown and the wall is concrete, I tied them together with ethnic artifacts, in this case oceanic tribal wood carvings, and replaced the $12,000 sideboard with something more affordable in dark wood. I've chosen an urban abstract for the wall, and the Toledo Vintage barstool from Restoration Hardware for your pass through. (This is what I would do if the space were mine. Now go forth and make it yours.)
August 13, 2013 at 8:36AM     
mefor
That's looking gooooooood. Like the light color under table and the artwork is a great pop on wall. Thank goodness you put in another barstool :)
August 13, 2013 at 8:39AM   
Another light that could work:
August 13, 2013 at 8:45AM     
tasihagisavas
Thanks groveraxle! Looks amazing but I'm gonna sell that rug, probably tonight. I don't like to be confined by rash decisions I made in the past, before I assembled this amazing team of advisors! So we can look for a different rug that works. No constraints!
August 13, 2013 at 8:58AM     
mefor
Yay!!! More choices :)
Tasi, do you like round or would you consider rectangular for light over table?
August 13, 2013 at 9:13AM     
silverscreenstar
Sorry, link did not NOT work so I removed it.
Go to Joss & Main.com, then open Favorite Foundations, then, go to "Poissons Rug". This rug may be too large ( 8' x 11') but I think the colours are just right. Love the design. This is actually the same design as the one I bought this rug in "azure blue" for a beach-themed family room, in my own home. The fish are a sort of metallic (art silk) which picks up, and reflects the light. The rest is 100% wool. Georgeous pile, very thick and soft. No bargain, price wise, but still less than 1K, including tax, and the $9.95 for FedEx shipping. Comes in smaller sizes but not available here. Try Wayfair.com if you like the rug. Think it may be called "School Fish" on that site. It is a Jaipur rug, made in India. Not an "original" but absolutely beautiful, in reality!
August 13, 2013 at 10:01AM   
tasihagisavas
Hey mforr, I would consider any shape but i'm not a huge fan of that particular mirror. Im not a fan of weathered mirror looks.
August 13, 2013 at 10:50AM     
mefor
That's ok, but it's a chandelier/pendant with mirrored finish. I'll look for something else :)
August 13, 2013 at 11:18AM   
mefor
How about these?
August 13, 2013 at 11:23AM   
mefor
Or this
August 13, 2013 at 11:24AM   
I'm not a fan of chandeliers, especially those with crystal drops. With that in mind, Here are some different lighting suggestions.
August 13, 2013 at 1:17PM   
Two more that I like a lot, but that might require a second mortgage. The green silk pendant is from my favorite lighting designer of all time.
August 13, 2013 at 1:19PM     
mefor
I like the bubbles and the green silk, first three, not so much :)
Guess it's too hard to put in any of mine, except maybe the mobile one? :)
August 13, 2013 at 1:42PM   
Tasi, love the rug you picked above with the gray and cream design. Would look great with sofa. Are we working on lights now? Where over dining table? I'm thinking some thing industrial. Like chrome with exposed bulb. Restoration, is a good source. Or go on line. Good size because of high ceiling. But must be to scale for table. I would keep all lights in same finish. Restoration has a sphere bronze finish with candle light in it. Huge though how big is table? Rec or round?
August 13, 2013 at 1:54PM     
bluenan
If the ceilings are also 14' in the dining area, that will play a big role in the type of lighting that can be adapted for that much height. You may have to have some custom wired to add additional wire and chain to accommodate the ceiling height.
August 13, 2013 at 1:56PM     
mefor
Rectangle I think nancy, what do you think of mobile I posted a little above here?
August 13, 2013 at 1:58PM   
Where's the Mobil mforr? Does he need art on cement wall? Better to wait get furn in and see.
August 13, 2013 at 2:10PM     
mefor
Here
August 13, 2013 at 2:21PM   
I like them.
August 13, 2013 at 2:22PM     
mefor
Groveraxle had a better idea for art on opposite wall and perhaps something 3D like masks or sculpture(?) on on cement wall or perhaps on a long sideboard
August 13, 2013 at 2:27PM   
mefor
Nancy, were you talking about Foucault orb?
August 13, 2013 at 2:28PM   
bluenan
Here's one I like, also comes in bronze, but the silver/gold will add some sheen. http://www.lampsplus.com/products/sausalito-25-inch-wide-silver-gold-pendant-light__95307.html

August 13, 2013 at 2:38PM     
Here's the thing, mforr, all your stuff is too hard to use because all you give us is pictures and no links. I don't know if this is the mobile one you're referring to, but I had to cut the whole thing out by hand to use it. In the future, if you'll give me a link, I can go get the original image or find one that is more usable.
August 13, 2013 at 2:38PM     
mefor
I will do so from now on. I like to post pics for the original poster and anyone who is following so they don't have to chase things down, but for you I will post links :), just for you because you're very kind. And thanks for mobile, I kind of like it.
August 13, 2013 at 2:44PM   
This one wasn't too bad. Generally, chandeliers are difficult to cut and paste. Maybe that's why I dislike them.
August 13, 2013 at 2:46PM     
How about this, mforr. Post the links when the OP expresses his interest. That way I can just photoshop the ones he thinks he might like.
August 13, 2013 at 2:48PM     
BTW, it occurs to me (I've never had wallpaper of my own) that you need to be sure what you want to put on the wall because as soon as you put up a hanger, you're committed, no?
August 13, 2013 at 2:49PM     
bluenan
Thanks, groveraxle, I wasn't expecting a mock-up!
August 13, 2013 at 2:50PM     
mefor
Yes, you are completely committed at that point, need to be POSITIVE, or without a doubt. Scary Tasi, isn't it?
August 13, 2013 at 2:54PM   
mefor
Will do groveraxle, thanks again :D
August 13, 2013 at 2:54PM   
mefor
I have to say I'm missing the puppies in these last few mock ups
August 13, 2013 at 2:55PM   
bluenan
As long as we've gotten off the rug topic, I think every handsome single urbane man needs a bar cart in his loft! (Carts from Worlds Away)

August 13, 2013 at 4:05PM     
tasihagisavas
Thanks guys! I must say, while interesting, Im not a fan of the first light fixture, the one with different rods and lightbulbs. The rest are awesome though. As for the bar cart....it's beautiful. But I dont trust myself around anything that has alcohol AND also moves. Trust me....it's for the best. I do like some piece of furniture that would hold my alcohol though!
August 13, 2013 at 4:22PM   
August 13, 2013 at 4:25PM        Thanked by tasihagisavas
mefor
That long sideboard will hold a bunch of bar ware and bottles. Tasi, you're in the 'boken, wouldn't you rather have a close bar in the town with more bars in one square mile? Just saying...they can hold your alcohol for you ;)
August 13, 2013 at 4:29PM      Thanked by tasihagisavas
tasihagisavas
Since we are all over the place, the most pressing need for me at the moment is to buy an elegant piece of furniture which can hold all my TV equipment (cable box, receiver). The receiver can't be longer than 55 inches, and it would be great if it could serve 2 purposes. I.e. a media cabinet AND Desk...or a media cabinet...and BENCH/something i can sit on. I saw this beautiful piece at ABC carpet but it was 2K...Does anyone know where I can get something similar? It would go on a perpendicular wall to the TV, between 2 windows.
August 13, 2013 at 4:40PM     
Nancy Walton
wayfair.com:
August 13, 2013 at 5:21PM      Thanked by tasihagisavas
Nancy Walton
The second one would be low enough to use as a bench. Add a cushion, and you're done!
August 13, 2013 at 5:21PM        Thanked by tasihagisavas
Tasi, I have a question before I go look for your component piece. Since you chose the concrete wallpaper and called it "cool," and the trunk coffee table from Restoration Hardware, and the component piece you attached above is very trunk-like, do you think you are leaning industrial, maybe industrial chic?

If you had to pick two attributes for your space from this list, what would they be?
elegant
comfortable
interesting
one-of-a-kind
neutral
colorful
puppy-proof
August 13, 2013 at 5:53PM        Thanked by tasihagisavas
August 13, 2013 at 6:13PM      Thanked by tasihagisavas
mcmlover
I gather from your posts you are training a puppy. I can't think of another reason to hate them. So in response I would suggest FLOR CARP[ET TILES. They come in many colors and styles and they are great when you have dogs like I do. They are modern, stylish and can be individually pulled up and washed. It's a great invention. I have them in my home and they look great. I bought them because no matter how well trained a dog is they will eventually have an accident and I don't want to spend anymore money on throw rugs that I end up throwing away and losing money. FLOR has many inspiration pictures to view. Good luck.
August 13, 2013 at 6:20PM      Thanked by tasihagisavas
tasihagisavas
Hi Groveraxle! My style is definitely puppy-proof, but the people in this thread haven't gotten the MEMO!!!
TO be honest, I'm not sure how i would characterize my style. It's a work in progress. Just last week I was in love with that Damask wallpaper, and this week, I find it repulsive. Go figure! I like interesting pieces, but by now you literally know every piece of furniture in my apartment so whatever you would classify that as. I like conversation pieces, and for such a tiny apartment, I already have several, but still...i like interesting things provided it jives well with all my other stuff. As for the desk you listed above, it's beautiful but can't be used to store any equipment as you couldn't, for instance, put a dvd player or cable box in a drawer. Derivatives of cabinets work well with that kind of stuff.
August 13, 2013 at 6:21PM     
tasihagisavas
Nancy, great picks but I'm not sure they would be able to withstand a human sitting on them. They generally support TVs up to 100 pounds or so. So something more sturdy but we're on the right path! Thanks!
August 13, 2013 at 6:23PM     
tasihagisavas
Oh and I just sold the original rug I bought from pottery barn so there you go guys - blank canvas!!!
August 13, 2013 at 6:24PM     
Coolest desk I ever saw, right here on houzz. Go custom; do this. Find a good cabinetmaker. Can't be that hard.
August 13, 2013 at 6:25PM   
OK, so maybe double-duty on the component furniture is too much to ask, Tasi. We're good, but not THAT good. (You can probably tell I don't own a DVD player either.)
August 13, 2013 at 6:27PM   
tasihagisavas
August 13, 2013 at 6:33PM     
Mine's funner than yours, but also pricier and I'm not crazy about the white for your space: http://www.westelm.com/products/patchwork-secretary-g831/?pkey=coffice-desks&cm_src=office-desks%7C%7CNoFacet-_-NoFacet-_--_-
August 13, 2013 at 6:46PM   
mefor
Tasi, the piece you just posted is not for your space. Nuh unh. Thinking ikea visit is in order, lots to choose from and a lot of it is sleek, low and long. Many are strong enough to double as bench. Go and check them out, you can put your own butt on them for a test drive ;)
August 13, 2013 at 7:23PM        Thanked by tasihagisavas
mefor
Here's a few inspiration pics from ikea. some of he ones you see mounted on wall can also be put on legs or no legs right on floor.
August 13, 2013 at 7:26PM     
mefor
One more
August 13, 2013 at 7:27PM     
mefor
Some come with colored doors if you want to introduce color that way. Check out their site, media storage ikea
August 13, 2013 at 7:28PM   
nikawareham
I posted on your wallpaper thread, but jcpenney.com has the ombre rugs for around $300 for 8x10 in several colors. Just a suggestion and in the $$ range you wanted.
August 13, 2013 at 9:08PM   
nikawareham
What about a card catalog? You could prob have a shelf added to the bottom to store bigger electronics. It's unique and great for remotes, bills and keys. Also you can paint it a bright color to carry an accent around the room.
August 13, 2013 at 9:16PM     
nikawareham
Longer version.
August 13, 2013 at 9:23PM     
Task, love the trunk for storage but don't think you could put a chair or were you gong to sit on big pillow on the floor. maybe make your own, How big is space where it will go? Then if you could find 2 cabinets about the height of file cabinets. And get a piece of glass cut to fit in space. But maybe to much work. You would have drill holes for wires. The small one you posted was nice and would work. But would it fill your space. Crate and barrel may have something.
August 13, 2013 at 9:44PM   
mefor
Tasi, this sale on pop art ends today, but you might find something you love here. Art.com
August 14, 2013 at 5:33AM      Thanked by tasihagisavas
Totally outside the box media center ideas. Vintage medical cabinets:
August 14, 2013 at 6:36AM     
Less outside the box from cb2:
August 14, 2013 at 6:37AM        Thanked by tasihagisavas
Amy Stanley
I am so lost, did you choose a rug and what are you working on now the dining room or living room?
August 14, 2013 at 7:54AM     
tasihagisavas
Hi Amy! Sorry we are all over the place. So what I'm thinking regarding rug is that I will buy the Snow Peak rug from West Elm and try it out. I It's the safest bet, and I wouldn't have to pay shipping and can return it. I will take picture and post it, and if it doesn't look right, I can return it and go with something else. We haven't even begun to look at rugs for dining room yet, but I am committed to finding a cool media table as that's a necessity. Right now my equipment it on the floor.
August 14, 2013 at 7:58AM     
Tasi, how deep does the media furniture need to be?
August 14, 2013 at 8:24AM   
tasihagisavas
Hi Groveraxle. The media furniture just needs to be at least 14 inches deep.
August 14, 2013 at 8:32AM     
http://www.bludot.com/modern-storage/view-all-modern-storage.html
Chicago shelves come in charcoal. I posted maple because it shows better.
August 14, 2013 at 8:42AM     
Thanks, tasi. I needed that.
August 14, 2013 at 8:43AM     
mefor
Congratulations carolins :)
August 14, 2013 at 9:19AM   
Love the cb2 red cabinet. Put a pop of color there.
August 14, 2013 at 11:42AM     
bluenan
Hahaha, love the red one! Everyone says Tasi needs a little color.
August 14, 2013 at 11:54AM     
mefor
Haha,carolins, where's the orange dachshund? :)
August 14, 2013 at 11:56AM     
silverscreenstar
I love the lamp & the bookends are a hoot!
August 14, 2013 at 11:58AM   
tasihagisavas
OK back to the rug for 1 second. My sectional couch has the following dimensions: 107.5" w x 77.5" d x 42" d x 39" h. What size rug do I go with? 8x10 or 9x12? How much of the rug must show?
August 14, 2013 at 12:03PM   
mefor
What are the dimensions of the "living room" area?
August 14, 2013 at 12:09PM   
tasihagisavas
tough to say. its all one open space but if i had to guess, it would be like 14 feet by 25? I may be totally way off but here though. But attached is the layout of the entire apartment, and the entire apartment is 735 square feet. The living room area is the one i outlined in red. Keep in mind on one wall i will have the couch, and on the very opposite wall i will have the TV.
August 14, 2013 at 12:16PM   
carolins
Here's the orange dachshund :-)

August 14, 2013 at 12:19PM     
mefor
I'm going to go out on a limb and say go big. But you could lay out a rectangle in painters tape to get an idea of how you want to orient the rug and the sectional. But if sofa is at one end, there's a large area for seating in between, I assume you'd like all of it to touch the rug. Bigger is better in this case. :)
August 14, 2013 at 3:14PM   
Wait a minute. Is this your planned furniture arrangement? If it is, please rethink. I think you need to adopt the arrangement in the original plan that floats the sofa in the middle of the room. The arrangement below simply does not work.
August 14, 2013 at 6:17PM   
Here is what I see working for you. In this light, I do think you need to move in with your furniture before you order the rug.

(OH NO! It gives you a whole 'nother area to furnish.)
August 14, 2013 at 6:51PM     
Terracegallery
OMG!! That dachshund is too cute!!
August 14, 2013 at 6:57PM   
tasihagisavas
Hi groveraxel, the TV is way too large to be that close. SO the couch will be on the wall to the left, and the fireplace is on the wall to the right. Trust me, it works!
August 14, 2013 at 9:39PM     
Well then, you are going to need one ginormous rug. I would probably order the 9 x 12 and turn it lengthwise in the room. So this is really more of a theater than a living room. (I suppose the dog bed could go between the rug and the fireplace.)
August 14, 2013 at 10:08PM     
silverscreenstar
Groveraxle: no offence, but this depicts a rug that, IMHO, is too large for the area. The furniture covers part of the rug, obscuring the print, a scenario one tries to avoid when using a patterned rug. I would select a smaller area rug, move the sofa closer into the upper left corner, and perhaps get a matching rug, same pattern, different size, to go in front of the fireplace, positioned in the same direction as the boards in the flooring. Both chairs also need to be moved off the rug!
August 15, 2013 at 4:47AM   
mefor
Why on earth do the chairs "need" to be moved off the rug? Have they done something to offend it? I really don't understand what you mean. The picture is just a generalized pic for illustrating an idea, not a blueprint that groveraxle is demanding Tasi follow note by note.
By the way, there should be a few more dog beds in the scenario, if tasi collects puppies like carolins collects lamps and bookends, there will be a lot more needed. Perhaps we could sew together some wee wee pads for a bigger area rug Tasi?
August 15, 2013 at 6:04AM     
I agree with groveraxle's advice about using a larger area rug, and if at all possible at least the front legs of furniture should be on the rug regardless of pattern. Buying too small a rug is a much more common decorating error than buying too large a one. The latter looks generous, yet still defines the seating area with the furniture on it. The former just looks skimpy.
August 15, 2013 at 6:13AM     
carolins
Larger rug is almost always better!
August 15, 2013 at 6:21AM     
Nancy Walton
I agree. Especially with a sectional. If Tasi doesn't like so much rug under the couch, he can always pull it forward.
August 15, 2013 at 6:50AM     
tasihagisavas
Hi silverscreenstar. The couch will be placed in the upperleft corner. It's the best place for the couch as you can enjoy the view as you are sitting on the couch. I also don't have chairs so no issue there. I guess what I'm confused about is your comment that a print of the patterned rug should not be obstructed. Isn't that impossible in this case as the couch has to be on the rug? Or would you recommend just having the front 2 couch legs on the couch? I guess we can worry about placement later, but I'm wrestling between choosing an 8x10, and a 9x12 at the moment. And I don't know the rules of how much area the couch should cover. For instance, width wise, should the rug be approximately the same width like the couch? larger? The couch is 108 inches wide. An 8 by 10 rug would be 120 inches wide, leaving 6 inches on each side assuming you centered it. Is that OK? Ah so confused.
August 15, 2013 at 7:06AM     
Nancy Walton
Tasi, what will you do with that huge expanse of floor between the couch on one side of the room and the fireplace? I think you should reconsider having one or two chairs. Not everyone would want to sit on the couch, should you have guests over.
August 15, 2013 at 7:10AM   
tasihagisavas
If my guests refuse to sit close to me, then they are not welcome in my home!!! JK.... I do have some dining chairs that I can use on the occasions when I do have guests, but I would like that open to remain unencumbered.
August 15, 2013 at 7:12AM   
carolins
Tasi, there's an interesting ideabook about rug size rules (and how and when to break them). Here it is, follow the link under the picture. Perhaps it will clear things up for you and give you some ideas:

August 15, 2013 at 7:19AM        Thanked by tasihagisavas
bluenan
I think the perception is that the space is much larger than it is. Once the sectional and coffee table and media cabinet are in place there won't be an excessive amount of open space. I would like to see the sectional pulled out just a bit from the wall to center on the fireplace and an 8x10 oriented perpendicularly in the room so it better defines the sitting area.
August 15, 2013 at 7:29AM     
rinqreation
August 15, 2013 at 7:32AM   
Iris Krall
I have nothing to add except to say I love a yummy floorplan. And my husband has a similar sofa in black leather. It's comfy enough but it's too big, it doesn't fit anywhere and I'd happily throw it over a cliff.
August 15, 2013 at 7:41AM     
I have tribal oriental rugs throughout my house, each one with an elaborate pattern, with furniture sitting all over them. Defining and softening a space is the whole purpose of rugs. If you need to see the entire pattern intact, hang it on the wall.
August 15, 2013 at 7:56AM     
rinqreation
No rug in this floorplan (imagine it to be there if you want one). But I wanted to show you how a full height room divider slash media center could be great for this room. The tv would be a little closer to the sectional and the work area would be more private (read: less clutter in view). It would also give a perception of separate rooms by not looking straight into the bedroom from the living.
August 15, 2013 at 8:15AM   
tasihagisavas
Hi rinqreation. the previous owners had just that. I tore it down! I twas nice and all but you should never be that close to an 80 inch TV. The TV is mounted to the fireplace, and cannot be moved. So I'm gonna have to work within those confines. :(
August 15, 2013 at 8:26AM     
rinqcreation, you have placed the sectional directly in front of the fireplace. I believe the furniture arrangement is set; now we just have to make it work.

Tasi, I would put the 9 x 12 rug lengthwise in the room which means it will be exactly the width of the couch. We can play with the placement after you get the pieces in the room, but I would be inclined to offset it a bit as I show in my pic above. And I encourage you to get two chairs just to make the room look finished.

Also, this particular piece (midcentury modern) isn't exactly right for your space, but I like the idea of a combo bookcase/desk for your TV components: http://www.vintagedanishmodern.com/cgi/s-mart.cgi?command=showimage&image=10781.jpg
August 15, 2013 at 8:27AM     
I meant to add that you really do need a bookcase for your first editions, particularly since I think your lady friends will be more impressed by those than your 80-inch screen.
August 15, 2013 at 8:29AM     
omagnes
Would you consider zebra hide, cow hide .

Red/burgundy oriental ? Dare not to be boring !
August 15, 2013 at 8:31AM   
Here is how it looks with just the sofa, coffee table, and rug. A bit bare, though more room for the doggy to play...
August 15, 2013 at 8:35AM     
rinqreation
Hmmm... OK :)
August 15, 2013 at 8:59AM   
August 15, 2013 at 3:49PM   
Hey Tasi, we dressed for dinner.
August 15, 2013 at 5:53PM        Thanked by tasihagisavas
And after dinner, can we watch "Best in Show?" Huh? Can we? Huh?
August 15, 2013 at 6:50PM     
Task, area rug is just that. It defines a area. 8 x10 will be fine. Do not put sofa on it. Not front legs nothing. The 10 ft would run towards TV. You should with a contemporary look leave a border of 8"in front of sec. I know we go round and round on how to place a rug. It's what looks best in your space get furn in. then decide. I agree sectional should be pulled out from wall. Or float in room. It should be centered with Firepl. You may need a chair. I posted above about chair at Restoration. But you can best decide that once furn is in. The area where you want to put components . How wide is it? In drawing doesn't look very big. For some of the things posted. Restoration has a storage trunk that is also a desk. Really different . The whole things fold up. Check it out. It wouldn't need to fit right in that corner but could cover area at a angle. Just a thought.
August 15, 2013 at 6:53PM     
@mforr, are you sure that's not an army cot...from WWI?
August 15, 2013 at 9:01PM     
@travis, the area for the components is 55" wide.
August 15, 2013 at 9:02PM        Thanked by tasihagisavas
Classical Home Design, Inc. by Susan Berry
I didn't read all of the comments, but if you actually have dogs and you hate pee-pee puppies, any rug with natural wool or a natural jute backing will become a big pee-pee pad. Even well trained dogs will urinate all over rugs with natural fibers that remind them of outdoor smells. Same deal with down pillows, down upholstery and antique furniture with horse hair fiber fill.
August 15, 2013 at 9:08PM     
Bonnie
You deserve cold cement to walk on...

August 15, 2013 at 9:26PM     
Iris Krall
We have an AK 45 rifle chest (empty) for our coffee table. It works well. It's a good size and a good height. Our other coffee table is a chinese opium table, a good size but not such a good height.
August 16, 2013 at 4:53AM     
tasihagisavas
Good morning all. So I used excel to model what the rug would look like in relation to the coffee table and couch. I drew it to "scale" with each cell representing 6 inches. I used a generic setup where the couch is centered on the rug width wise, where the couch and rug both start at the wall. Does this make this decision any clearer for anyone?
August 16, 2013 at 6:14AM     
August 16, 2013 at 6:24AM   
Genevieve
And a good Friday to all the no Puppy lovers and to those who loves them ....they grow up to be men's best friends :)

#at=66
August 16, 2013 at 6:28AM     
Tasi, I am going to work on the rug size from your diagram. Problem with Excel is the cells aren't square. You also don't show it in the context of the room. I'll be back. This may tax my rusty math skills.
August 16, 2013 at 9:28AM   
I have placed your furniture to scale (more or less) in the room that you guesstimated at 14 x 30. I looked up the size of your coffee table and assumed you got the smaller one. There is no point in putting your entire sofa on the rug. It's a waste of rug. In my plan, I have offset the rug a bit to counter the size of the coffee table, and turned it lengthwise to counter the length of the room. Running it the other way creates a vast open space that looks odd, IMO. You still have vast open space, but a bit less of it.

Blue rug is 8 x 10, orange is 9 x 12. And you need 18" between couch and coffee table. (I guesstimated that.)
August 16, 2013 at 10:04AM     
Grove, is it 30 ft from sofa to firepl. I don't think that is right. Not being able to see the room in person puts us at a disadvantage. I say get furn in then get rug. It's not a big deal.
August 16, 2013 at 10:11AM     
And if you don't want a chair, I would get an ottoman, at least, for balance and place for Brutus to sleep.
August 16, 2013 at 10:16AM     
30 ft. was Tasi's best guess, but he wasn't in the room when he made it, so it could be wrong. Still, the room is long and narrow, so I think my reasoning still holds.
August 16, 2013 at 10:18AM     
Mforr, in a contemporary design like he has, rug should not go under sofa. But show off floors. That's one reason I don't like huge area rugs. The old adage of all furn off or all on, holds true.
August 16, 2013 at 12:03PM     
rinqreation
I must admit I never had a rug. Only wood or vinyl.
(ok, my parents had one when I was little, but we did not have central heating back then, just a woodburner)
Plus I like wearing thick woolen socks in winter time.
August 16, 2013 at 12:20PM     
mforr, I composed the sectional, the coffee table, and the rug, and then centered the whole composition in the space. It's the only way to properly balance it. And Travis, I've never been much for rules. How about if you draw up two schemes--all on and all off--and then we can see which one looks best.
August 16, 2013 at 12:53PM     
tasihagisavas
I came across this media console table from pottery barn on sale. What do you guys think of it?
August 16, 2013 at 2:48PM     
Tasi, I gotta be honest here. I think it looks like it was salvaged from a fire.
August 16, 2013 at 3:06PM     
More ideas. Put a really cool desk in that space. Get floating shelves custom made here: http://www.customfloatingshelves.com/u-paint-mdf/ and hang on wall above desk.
August 16, 2013 at 4:21PM   
Or this Restoration Hardware baker's rack is kinda cool for $600.
August 16, 2013 at 4:22PM   
And so is this bar from World Market.
August 16, 2013 at 4:23PM     
Sustainable Dwellings
The Pottery Barn piece is Shabby Chic... you CAN mix it up if you like. Don't be afraid to stray from the crowd.
August 16, 2013 at 4:36PM   
bluenan
The Pottery Barn piece is meant to look like an antique Chinese chest.
August 16, 2013 at 5:46PM   
Like the chest. Tasi. Maybe some great big tall art over it.
August 16, 2013 at 5:55PM   
An antique Chinese chest that survived a fire? Why not buy a REAL antique Chinese chest? I'll go look for one in a minute.

The room below is gorgeous. It should be, Tasi; it's from your ideabook and it looks a lot like your room. Which leads to a request when you get a chance. I want to see your windows.
August 16, 2013 at 5:56PM     
Nancy Walton
Tasi, your remote controls won't work through the wood, will they? Don't you need glass doors?
August 16, 2013 at 5:57PM     
Mforr I agree a rug is very warming to a room. I like his chest from Pottery. It's coming together, in fact very fast. He likes to get things done once he knows what he wants.
August 16, 2013 at 5:58PM     
Nancy Walton
Then I'll say it--I like it.
August 16, 2013 at 6:06PM     
Chinese wedding cabinets used to be a dime a dozen. Now they're hard to find. I did find a place in Shanghai that has a bunch for $800-$1000, but I expect shipping would be prohibitive. On eBay, they seem to run $1,200-$1500. And Amazon has a couple from the Silk Road Collection.
August 16, 2013 at 6:18PM     
bluenan
I know a source for antique Chinese chests and they are generally wider than the 55" Tasi needs, and more than he wants to spend. At least the Pottery Barn piece is probably fairly well made. That finish is similar to an old worn lacquer finish.
August 16, 2013 at 6:20PM     
Clearly, I am outvoted, but let me reiterate that I hate the Pottery Barn cabinet more than Tasi hates puppies. Now I'll be still.
August 16, 2013 at 6:20PM     
Now that's a great piece, bluenan.
August 16, 2013 at 6:22PM     
bluenan
At 74" and $2195, it's definitely more of an investment. Circa 1800-1849, it is awesome, isn't it!
August 16, 2013 at 6:29PM     
That suit case thing is so wrong. Beside the fact that it is faux, the colors are incompatible with the rest of your choices. The sectional looks small and uncomfortable and the color is fairly common. Why not choose one of the rugs above and then choose your furniture?
August 16, 2013 at 6:35PM   
If you want rustic, I think this reclaimed wood is a better fit: http://www.etsy.com/listing/154252744/reclaimed-wood-urban-media-tv-stand-w?ref=shop_home_active
$365
August 17, 2013 at 6:37AM   
bluenan
He needs something to hide all of the wires.
August 17, 2013 at 6:55AM   
bluenan
There you go!
August 17, 2013 at 7:24AM     
Oh year, wires. I am a total TV luddite. Here are two from World Market. The third is from Target, $173, comes in red, white, blue, black, gray, and yellow. I like the way the doors on it echo the barn door on the sleeping alcove.
August 17, 2013 at 11:51AM     
tasihagisavas
Hey everyone. sorry I have been MIA. We are painting and wallpapering!!! groveraxle'; you asked for a pic of the windows. They aren't as dramatic as the windows in that other picture, but you caught me red handed; that was my inspiration for that room. But just know, the aluminum coffee table total coincidence! Anyway, before the painting started today, i took a picture of the windows; this should give everyone an idea of the layout as well. I may have miscalculated. It might not be 30 feet long. Maybe 25? But as you can see, and I think bluenan hit on this before, there really isn't THAT much unencumbered space where we absolutely need chairs, although they may be nice. And the are between the 2 windows is where the media table will go. Thanks again everyone. You guys are awesome!
August 17, 2013 at 2:34PM     
tasihagisavas
Oh and as for the asian media stand that I sent you guys a pic of, I saw it in person and it looks nothing like it does online. Def doesn't look burned! Do you guys hate it any less?
August 17, 2013 at 2:39PM     
Oh man, that is one fabulous view. Looks like privacy isn't an issue, but are you going to need light control? Because if you don't, I wouldn't even do shades. Just leave them open. It helps to see that wall; I can see now that a lot of the media units I was looking at won't work.

And yes, I hate the PB unit less, but I don't love it. It doesn't have the clean lines I'd like to see in your space. Let me Photoshop it in and we'll see what you think then.
August 17, 2013 at 4:56PM   
A selection for your perusal. (Are you sure that wall between the windows is 55"? Because if it really is, than a bunch of these will be much smaller than they appear.)
August 17, 2013 at 5:57PM      Thanked by tasihagisavas
One more:
August 17, 2013 at 6:00PM      Thanked by tasihagisavas
OK, three more, then it's time for happy hour.
August 17, 2013 at 6:20PM   
mforr, I'm glad you attached the pics of that custom bench wrapping around. That would be very sleek, cool enough to go with a barn door and concrete wall. The solar shades are also cool enough for Tasi's room. Now let's see if Tasi is cool enough for them.
August 17, 2013 at 7:21PM     
Sustainable Dwellings
Now, go have a Pomtini, or whatever ya'll do up there. looks good.
August 17, 2013 at 7:35PM     
tasihagisavas
Hi mforr! Sorry about not responding. I'm hardly by a computer during the weekend, and my houzz app on my phone has been acting up. As for the wrap around bench; I love it. but I'm gonna need to pass at the moment as it's a custom work which means $$$, as well as time. I'm just anxious to get i n there! We have one more day of painting and wallpapering and I should be good to go.
I do love the solar shades. I instructed the painters to get rid of the curtains and curtain rods all together and will opt for shades. Do solar shades work in conjunction with regular shades? or is it one or the other?
I actually need to figure out the shade situation asap.as without curtains , there will be no way to escape the light! Home Depot? Lowes? Who both sells shades and installs them?
August 18, 2013 at 2:44AM     
tasihagisavas
OK everyone. SO the concrete wallpaper has been installed. What do you guys HONESTLY think? To be honest, I'm not feeling it. Be honest!
August 19, 2013 at 9:04AM     
tasihagisavas
Oh man. I don't want to be impulsive but .... Im getting the urge to rip it off. Arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Can this be salvaged?
August 19, 2013 at 9:36AM     
tasihagisavas
there will be no other murals or wallpaper. If i remove it, it will be just paint. blahhhhhhhhhhh.
August 19, 2013 at 9:50AM   
tasihagisavas
It's not bad. It's not good. It's the way it looks in the picture. And right now Im not thrilled. That being said, nothing is in place yet. Maybe it'll all work, but im not so sure. Help me out mforr!
August 19, 2013 at 9:55AM     
Nancy Walton
When you get your chandelier hung it wil lighten up. And I agree that a big piece of art will make a difference in how it "feels."
August 19, 2013 at 10:01AM     
bluenan
OK, honestly, I don't care for it with the stacked stone, sorry Tasi. The stacked stone is such a warm natural element, and the wallpaper just looks like it's trying too hard to be cool.
August 19, 2013 at 11:41AM     
Tasi, the wall paper speaks for its self. No art. I love the look. Don't over do rooms this is a very small space. Live with it. Once chandelier is in and furn will come together.
August 19, 2013 at 11:46AM     
Mforr, love the silver industrial rack you posted yesterday.
August 19, 2013 at 11:48AM     
Motorized shades in dark color would work, a woven look. Also a bench built in next to firepl on one side would work have doors on it for storage. Add a thick pillow in a black and white chevron print. Always use storage and seating.
August 19, 2013 at 11:52AM     
bluenan
Is that birch tree wallpaper in the bedroom?
August 19, 2013 at 11:57AM     
tasihagisavas
haha yes! Good eye bluenan. You did warm me about the concrete wallpaper.... Here's a pic of the bedroom wallpaper.
August 19, 2013 at 12:02PM     
I still like Asian piece above tasi.
August 19, 2013 at 12:05PM     
There are many places that do shades. Ck on line get bids. Something simple. Woven. Dark.
August 19, 2013 at 12:07PM   
OK, NOBODY PANIC! The concrete wallpaper is a bit darker than I expected, but I like it and I think it's going to work. I will Photoshop the actual room from the picture above and we'll see what we can do. Remember, the space is not finished, no furniture yet, no art or accessories, so let's get it all together before any irrevocable decisions are made. Tasi, that means no ripping.
August 19, 2013 at 12:09PM     
I don't know if rug size has been decided. Saw Tasi, to scale pics. Good job. Rugs are a accent piece. They warm up rooms. Just need a small one this space is small. You made right decisions your home will be beautiful. We all try to re think things too much. You have done a lot in a very short time. Good job to everyone. Now get stuff in place and live in space. You can tweak things as you go. It takes a while to get to 100%.
August 19, 2013 at 12:13PM     
bluenan
I like the birch tree with the stacked stone, but it makes for an even greater dichotomy with the mural. I do agree though, no ripping.......yet.
August 19, 2013 at 12:26PM     
Natalie
There's a lot of patterns in one space---horizontal lines of fireplace, vertical lines in bedroom, stained concrete in dining---but I'm hopeful, it just may work. I would have chosen either the birch or the concrete, definitely not both. Sorry.
August 19, 2013 at 12:30PM     
Wood console from Room and Board. Wine or art.
August 19, 2013 at 1:30PM      Thanked by tasihagisavas
craljh
replace it with more birch tree paper ?
August 19, 2013 at 1:43PM   
I expect your budget is strained, Tasi, so the Hemnes from Ikea is solid wood for $199. Comes in dark, medium (shown) and white stain. It would hold a lot of wine.
August 19, 2013 at 2:12PM   
Tasi, do you have yr dining table and chairs yet.? Like I said small space don't think you can put table on cement wall. The is a loft should be very minimum. Put up a flunky and industrial chandelier. I think you will fine you are done.
August 19, 2013 at 2:17PM   
And the place looks a lot better when you clean it up. Sheesh.
August 19, 2013 at 2:37PM     
Travis, his dining table and chairs are posted on the other thread.
August 19, 2013 at 2:38PM     
Other thread? do you mean when we first started?
August 19, 2013 at 2:42PM     
travis, the dining table and chairs are on this thread here: http://www.houzz.com/discussions/595663/Straight-guy-seeks-Wallpaper-HELP-
August 19, 2013 at 5:28PM   
Here's a subtle change that will, I think, make a huge difference. I would also point out that when we were choosing wallpapers, we didn't know the bedroom was papered in birch trees. Now that we do know, I'm glad tasi picked the concrete. Anything else would have been way too busy. Besides, with all the exposed pipes, it's a semi-industrial space. I think the concrete plays off of that nicely.
August 19, 2013 at 5:42PM        Thanked by tasihagisavas
silverscreenstar
Tasi: got the deal of the century for you on a pair of Ralph Lauren table lamps! Go to RalphLaren.com, and look at the Heaton Porcelain Table Lamp (in silver). Style number 4322503. On sale NOW and if you use the promo code, "RLSUM40" you"ll get another 40% off the SALE PRICE! A pair of these babies comes in at less than $300.00! Please check it out, ASAP! Think they may provide some of the much needed BLING we talked about earlier!
August 19, 2013 at 5:48PM   
Nancy Walton
Tasi, whatever you decide on for art, just don't do black and white, either photography OR painting--that would only emphasize the dark concrete. I ilke the juxtaposition of color against that wall.
August 19, 2013 at 6:44PM   
http://www.houzz.com/user/tasihagisavas#!questions-expanded

You all have so many wonderful ideas which you could share with those who really need you. You have given this poster 4 weeks of attention.

Look at some of the new posts. Lots of houzzers out there looking for help.
August 19, 2013 at 6:50PM     
Here is the link for silverscreenstar's lamps: http://www.ralphlauren.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4322503&kw=4322503&sr=1&origkw=4322503

However, if I may point out, table lamps don't make much sense when you don't have tables.
August 19, 2013 at 7:25PM     
silverscreenstar
Tables, like puppies, will come!
August 19, 2013 at 7:56PM   
silverscreenstar
My motto: Buy on sale, when you can!
August 19, 2013 at 7:57PM   
silverscreenstar
Groveraxle: Thanks for the link to the lamps!
August 19, 2013 at 8:03PM   
I commented on other thread on dining chairs.
August 19, 2013 at 8:06PM     
Mforr love the solar shades perfect.
August 19, 2013 at 8:11PM     
tasihagisavas
Thanks guys! Yeah art does make a big difference. Adds a splash of color which I can key off of to add an accent color. Now time to look for art1 and silverscreenstar, those lamps are beautiful but I need to navigate my way through this wallpaper fiasco I have gotten myself into! Thanks again!
August 19, 2013 at 8:11PM     
I don't think it's a fiasco at all. In fact, I love the last picture I posted with the Ikea sideboard and the bridge abstract and the chrome industrial pendant lamp and the silver Ikea bowl. I'm ready to fill those cubbies with wine and HAVE A PART-AY!
August 19, 2013 at 8:42PM     
silverscreenstar
Tasi: buy them while you can get them at this price. You'll regret it later, if you don't! (Been there, done that! )
August 19, 2013 at 9:03PM   
silverscreenstar
Tasi: The lamps (both the bling and the light source) will help with the wallpaper situation. You need silver or chrome accents to reflect light, either natural or artificial, which will help brighten up your apartment. A silver, or chrome, metal wall sculpture on the wallpaper would help also. Something very modern...
August 19, 2013 at 9:05PM   
Buy in haste, repent at leisure...
August 19, 2013 at 10:37PM     
silverscreenstar
30 day return policy. What's to repent?
August 20, 2013 at 5:30AM   
silverscreenstar
Tasi: what's with the ceiling fan that we see suspended from what appears to be the ductwork? Does the unit not have a/c? Why is it there and what area is below?
August 20, 2013 at 5:34AM   
silverscreenstar
Sorry, got a bias against IKEA. To me, their stuff looks like junk. Crap. However, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Just think Tasi deserves better. When the "right" thing comes along, he will know it. It will be love at first sight. That's why I strongly recommended waiting until the furniture is in, and he has lived with it for a while before buying the rug.
August 20, 2013 at 6:00PM     
Betsy Doucette
Black and white is always nice. Who's the boy? Who's the boy? Who's the good boy?
August 21, 2013 at 7:13AM     
silverscreenstar
Ah, my Jack Russell Terrier, "Magic", is black and white. Black magic, white magic, get it? Awesome little guy with a wonderful termperment. Think about it, Tasi...unconditional love. What more could anyone ask for? Vet, who used to breed Jacks, thinks he's fabulous, too!
August 21, 2013 at 11:31AM   
Tasi, we miss you. Have you moved in yet? We're waiting for pictures.
August 23, 2013 at 12:58PM   
tasihagisavas
Hi all! Sorry for my hiatus. Was busy traveling for work, moving in and getting settled in. Not 100% there yet but here's a picture of the rug we chose.
October 6, 2013 at 7:13AM     
tasihagisavas
As for the wallpaper, i really tried to love it. When I realized that wasn't gonna happen, I tried to like it. I lived with it for over a month, but every day I liked it less and less. I called the painters to remove it but they jerked me around. One day I reached my boiling point and took matters into my own hands....
October 6, 2013 at 7:16AM   
tasihagisavas
And lastly, here is where we stand today. With a plain wall just begging for some art or other decorations. The wall no longer gets me angry. I can now live in peace :)
October 6, 2013 at 7:17AM   
bluenan
Hey there, thanks for the update. I'm glad you were able to remove the wallpaper and find peace, it's not a good thing when our sanctuary is anything less than just that! Take your time and things will fall into place. The rug looks nice, it's soft yet interesting. The mirrors reflect so much light and your fantastic view, awesome!
October 6, 2013 at 7:25AM     
tasi, really glad to hear from you. I am so sorry the wallpaper didn't work for you, especially since I'm the one who pushed it. But I have to say the living room looks great. I even love the mirrors, and I am not a mirror gal. But they reflect your wall of windows and I am definitely a big windows kind of gal.

For now, how about just painting the dining room wall to match the rest. Then give us a better photo of the dining room and we'll try again. If you trust us, that is. I think you could use a narrow console; maybe make it the wall-o-booze.
October 6, 2013 at 8:02AM        Thanked by tasihagisavas
tasihagisavas
Hey guys! Great hearing from you as well. The dining room wall where I previously had the concrete wallpaper has now been painted 'Seattle Gray" by Benjamin Moore, to match the rest of the apartment. That's reflected in the previous picture I sent. The wall in question is approximately 8 feet tall by 14 feet wide. I'd like to fill it up, but I also don't want to rush it unless it's right. I want my accent color to be yellow and think this wall will be able to kick things off. I saw this painting I liked but not sure how you guys feel about it. The painting is 15 inches wide, and 60 inches long. Some photoshopping magic would be wonderful here! Decorating is so much more fun and less stressful than wallpapering. I'm excited!
October 7, 2013 at 5:46AM   
tasihagisavas
And here are better pictures of the wall in question! and groveraxle, of course i still trust you guys! It's gonna take more than a bad wallpaper experience for me to sour on all you wonderful people!
October 7, 2013 at 5:57AM   
I think this is pretty much to scale; if anything, the painting may be a hair large. My reaction: meh

What is that on the floor behind your dining table? Looks like a huge canvas. Can we see it?

tasi, I'm glad you're back, and I'm going to work on this wall today. It would be best, I think, to plan the whole wall at once. With that in mind, I will start with this painting and see what I can do.
October 7, 2013 at 7:12AM      Thanked by tasihagisavas
tasi, is that a new chandelier? I'm not crazy about it. It looks awkward to me. How about if I find something better and come over and rewire it for you?
October 7, 2013 at 7:17AM   
tasihagisavas
Here's a picture of a different painting. One of my best friends is a really talented artist and gave me this piece of part which I had hung up in my previous apartment. I brought it over as part of the move, but undecided on if i would use it. It's 49 inches wide and 30 inches tall. Here's a better pic of it. And no that's the same old chandelier! I plan on replacing it at some point but not sure how much work that entails after picking a new one out.
October 7, 2013 at 7:27AM   
Style My Space Interior Design and Staging
Check out flor.com they have very cool carpet tiles. I've used carpet tiles for many of my clients with puppies and kids. Easy to clean, very stylish, reasonably priced.
October 7, 2013 at 7:36AM   
Rewiring a light fixture is a piece of cake. Just be sure you flip the circuit breaker first. If you forget that part, probably the shock won't kill you, but the fall from the ladder will. Just remember to match like-colored wires and the bare wire (ground) goes to the little green screw.

Next question: do you LOVE the yellow skyline painting? Or did you just pick it for its color and its size? Remember, you're going to look at this art every day, so make it something you love no matter what the colors. I really like the canvas your friend did, but the photo resolution is lousy. I'll see if I can improve it a bit and work with it too.
October 7, 2013 at 9:15AM     
tasihagisavas
I think the yellow skyline painting is interesting but i mostly like it for the colors. And it sorta ties into my apartment as I have pretty much the same view from my actual window. That being said, I'm not married to it. Ive attached a hopefully better picture of my friends painting.
October 7, 2013 at 9:27AM   
Tasi, welcome back. Your loft is coming along. Big picture we see in dining. Looks big, but will go well on your blank wall hang very low. Centered. Yes you need new light ck out Restoration. They have a sphere in bronze that would be perfect. Table needs to be centered under it.
October 7, 2013 at 9:35AM   
bluenan
Personally, I think having a piece of art from a talented good friend is much more meaningful than buying something for colors. Sorry Tasi, the skyline painting looks like a "Starving Artist" piece that took about 10 minutes to paint, it's not worthy....
October 7, 2013 at 9:35AM   
I like skyline pic but it's long enough but too narrow 15" if you can find same much taller 36" or more would be perfect. Sorry the wallpaper didn't work.
October 7, 2013 at 9:38AM   
Love the rug. Mirrors over sofa a little high should come down 8-10". But not a biggie if a expense. Did you ever find anything for next to firepl?
October 7, 2013 at 9:41AM      Thanked by tasihagisavas
tasihagisavas
The skyline pic, if i decide to go that route, can be custom ordered so i can request that it be made wider if that helps.... As for the fireplace media piece, I caved and with a conventional piece from pottery barn. Not the sexiest thing in the world but gets the job done and is great quality.
October 7, 2013 at 9:55AM   
tasihagisavas
Heres a better pic of the fireplace. Disregard the media table next to it. IT was just temporary.
October 7, 2013 at 9:57AM   
My mistake was in heading toward modern industrial when you are more a transitional kind of guy, tasi. So I've probably done it again with this idea, but I'll throw it out anyway. Floating sideboard. It's a diy project (perfect for your handyman).

Check out West Elm's new chandeliers. I hung one over your table. This one's pretty cool too. http://www.westelm.com/products/melissa-joy-manning-3-light-pendant-w878/?pkey=cchandeliers-pendant-lighting&cm_src=chandeliers-pendant-lighting||NoFacet-_-NoFacet-_--_-
October 7, 2013 at 10:13AM   
Oops. Forgot something.
October 7, 2013 at 10:20AM     
tasihagisavas
Thanks groveraxle. To be honest, I'm not crazy with that look. For now, I want to concentrate on just wall art and not on sideboards or tables. And dont take this the wrong way but I hate that chandelier. There are so many really awesome chandeliers out there especially from restoration hardware. Something classier. I can show you some that I like more that that. Still appreciate all your hard work!!
October 7, 2013 at 10:48AM   
carolins
Okay, so... how about painting the wall yellow and make an art wall. Or is that too wild for you?
October 7, 2013 at 11:34AM     
tasihagisavas
Thanks carolins. I'd like to avoid painting for now and just focus on filling up the existing wall with art. Good chandelier pic!
October 7, 2013 at 11:39AM   
I would love to see one very large painting (or other form of artwork) on that wall, going for this effect:
Harris Dining
Mill Valley
Upper East Side Apartment
October 7, 2013 at 11:48AM        Thanked by tasihagisavas
tasi, you will not offend me by telling me what you want. It is your loft and I aim to please. (Besides, I already blew it on the concrete wall.)

So I think I'm getting that you would like to fill the wall with art and nothing else. In that case, your options are a single enormous piece of art, a grouping of pieces, or you could also do art and shelves. I suspect you're leaning toward just hanging art though.

Let me mess around a bit.
October 7, 2013 at 12:46PM   
Your yellow skyline enlarged to 6 feet wide.

A 7 x 4 ft. piece of loft art from art.com: http://www.art.com/products/p14147923870-sa-i6642002/diane-lambin-red-note.htm?sorig=cat&sorigid=0&dimvals=534331&ui=352a2bcc03bf403da992ea5dfd83de38

A 4 x 6 ft. poster of the Brooklyn Bridge from art.com (very inexpensive, but I expect it may look that way on the wall, too).
October 7, 2013 at 1:50PM   
Dau Home Furnishings
I love these rugs from Dayln. You can order them from Dau Furniture in St. Louis or go to Dayln's website to see if there is a local dealer.
October 7, 2013 at 2:29PM   
tasihagisavas
Thanks feeny and groveraxle. I guess the question remains whether I choose 1 piece of art of a series. I do like the look of one large piece but i have yet to see how a series would look. Any ideas where I can source a series collection?
October 8, 2013 at 5:55PM   
tasihagisavas
and groveraxle, great chandelier choice!
October 8, 2013 at 6:00PM   
tasihagisavas
Speaking of a series of paintings, while going through some of my old stuff, I came across a series of 6 of these pieces (3 shown here) which were created by a Greek artist. All of them pretty much red textured paint in a black frame. It didn't really catch my eye but wanted to ask the crowd whether I'm not seeing their potential.
October 8, 2013 at 7:24PM   
tasi, are you shooting your photos underwater? Maybe time to upgrade your iPhone? I'll be back.
October 8, 2013 at 9:23PM   
A photo wall? And maybe you need to train your puppy to stay off the dining room chairs?
October 8, 2013 at 9:46PM   
tasihagisavas
WOW. That looks great! Especially the black frames.
October 8, 2013 at 9:51PM   
rawketgrl
Your argument is invalid

Brown I pick brown....with some orange.

Fix yer ear.
October 8, 2013 at 10:01PM   
Six 24 x 24" canvases by the same artist:
October 8, 2013 at 10:11PM   
Before you decide, go through the loft art at art.com and see if anything floats your boat. Sort from wide to narrow so you can see the biggest pieces first. I wouldn't go any narrower than 60". http://www.art.com/gallery/id--d534331/loft-art.htm
October 8, 2013 at 10:16PM   
Bridget
Checking for update on your place, what did you decide for "the wall"?
November 1, 2013 at 12:14AM   
tasihagisavas
Hey berinlist; my wall decor project stalled. I initially put up my friends painting as a filler, and then last weekend I had a Halloween party and used that wall to project Halloween images using my projector which was pretty awesome. And now I'm back where I started. A series of frames is pretty neat, but Im undecided on what I would put in them. groveraxle, as you can see, did an amazing job providing inspiration, just up to me to pull the trigger, and I've been a little trigger shy with that wall recently :)
November 1, 2013 at 6:44AM   
Your friend's painting is awesome. I wish it were three times larger. In any case, as a filler, it's too high; lower it about 6".
November 1, 2013 at 7:43AM   
Rustica Hardware
Above the fireplace a Bi Parting barn door would work great to hide a tv or to just break up the space. usticahardware.com/bi-parting-barn-door-hardware-system/
November 1, 2013 at 11:45AM     
chookchook2
Put in some vintage pieces it's good for the environment.
November 3, 2013 at 7:14AM   
warholsuperstar59
Why not go to one of the open studios regularly held in Long Island City, Dumbo, etc. and purchase a painting you love directly from the artist? Of course, if you are happy with the painting you have---just hang it lower, as suggested already.
November 3, 2013 at 7:41AM   
chookchook2
I am confused, do you really hate puppies, if so why?
November 3, 2013 at 7:53AM   
Bridget
Do you have anything that you collect, like tee shirts from concerts, playbills, quotes you like, along the lines of "I cook with wine, sometimes even put some in the food"," good friends will bail out of jail,a great friend will be sitting next to you saying, that was fun", just putting ideas out there to make it you!
November 3, 2013 at 1:46PM   
bluenan
Tasi doesn't hate puppies, it's in response to another post that got some negative remarks...long story.
November 3, 2013 at 2:12PM     
Norwood Architects
No need to add any additional ideas, lots of great advice form everyone.
November 3, 2013 at 2:44PM   
Bridget
We'll, excuuuusssse me!
November 3, 2013 at 3:31PM     
chookchook2
Our puppy ate gravel.
November 3, 2013 at 4:33PM   
bluenan
I really think that Norwood was saying he had nothing more to add, not that nothing else should be added by anyone...I hope!
November 3, 2013 at 4:47PM     
tasihagisavas
groveraxle and gang, I need table advice! If you have time, can you please bring your talents to http://www.houzz.com/discussions/780008 please?
December 26, 2013 at 4:05PM   
Front entry is BLAAAA.....need help!
Hi. I need help with my entry. I have a 4x4 round grey...
Has anyone installed LG Viatera Rococo?
I am thinking about using LG Viatera Rococo in my kitchen,...
how to paint bricks
Wanting to change color of old bricks on terrace from...
Knobs and Pulls?
Just wondering if there's a rule of thumb for how many...
Lighting, paint, media center in my living room
Hello, I have uploaded a discussion about my living...