Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mwb71255

I need suggestions on how to update the look of my 1950's ranch house.

mwb71255
10 years ago
I am looking for some long term suggestions on what I could do to update the exterior of my 1950's ranch house. How can I bring this house into the 21th century? I think ranch houses are so boring to look at so I'm looking for some ideas that would modernize the exterior of this house. I do like the modern look but don't have a clue as to what I could do to update this house in that manner, if it can be done. I have thought about adding some type of front porch that runs along the front of the house, maybe paint the house (I was thinking painting it black with white trim) but at this point I'm open to any and all suggestions. The lot my house sits on sloops down hill from the street with the house being below street level so I'm not sure how I would add a porch since with the land slooping uphill from the front door if adding a porch might make the house look like it was half buried in the grtound. Pictures attached.Any suggestions? I welcome any and all. Thank you!

Comments (10)

• PRO
    Kristin Drohan Collection and Interior Design
    10 years ago
    Paint it. Find an experienced contractor who knows how and use elastomeric paint on the brick.
  • linlac
    10 years ago
    Look at these with metal roof. Contemporary paint colors. I would enclose carport and possibly build out to L shape. Don't know what your budget is but you could put in some bigger windows.
  • sullivbl
    10 years ago
    I would replace the bushes with flowers and trendy greenery (have a mixture of medium and low heights). I would also line the walkway and driveway with low level flowers.
  • PRO
    Kacey McCall-Hagin
    10 years ago
    Paint house light bluish gray, black shutters, paint door ( high-gloss black or a bold color), add new exterior light fixtures.
  • mwb71255
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    linlac, Thank you for your suggestions. I had not thought about that kind of roof but will be needing to research roofing within the next couple of years. I did like the looks of that type roof. I also liked your ideas on both the larger windows and also enclosing the carport and extending the space to make it into an L shape home.
    I will give some more thought to the windows but plan to research the cost of the tin roof. Thank you for your help and I appreciate the fact that you took the time to provide these suggestions.
  • mwb71255
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    sullivbf, You have a great idea about adding flowers and other trendy greenery. When I bought the house last May I noticed that there wasn't any flowers to speak of anywhere around the place. I have planted some plants, like a couple of fruit trees, blueberry, raspberry, grape and rose bushes around the yard just not in the beds in front of the house. I will be adding flowers next spring and will look at removing those older plants and will try your suggestions.

Thank you for your time and insightful advise regarding my exterior of my home. I appreciate your help. Thanks, Mike
  • Anna
    10 years ago
    Funds and foundations permitting, I would build up adding a second story and either turn the car port into a garden room or a garage (long term)

Removing the wooden fencing from underneath the shrubbery would look better, perhaps moving the shrubbery to either side of the drive and training it into shapes such as spheres maybe adding grasses or other shapes into the mix would add a focal point to the drive. You could remove the curved pavement and pave in front of the house creating a patio/ out door sitting room, building in privacy with either: floral & shrubbery or a low wall or fence.

I would download take pictures of things that inspire you, work out what your taste is, what style you like, how you will use the area or how you would like to use the area and take inspiration from there. Drive around the neighbourhood and take inspiration to what others do/ have done.
  • linlac
    10 years ago
    I've been renovating a ranch for years. The first thing I did was to close in the carport. I only had one layer of shingles on the roof so I recovered roof. A couple things you may consider in the meantime is to remove your shutters. Paint trim and around windows a deep charcoal. Pressure wash the roof. I've seen them come out like brand new. As mentioned remove wood landscaping and shrubs. You can replant the shrubs away from the house. If you take your measurements to a local nursery they will help you with a modern landscape.
  • HU-951601129
    5 months ago

Funny, Im heading in the opposite direction. Im trying to restore a 1956 red brick ranch back to its authentic appearance. Including the garage back to carport. These houses have a certain charm if restored properly.