Trampoline for Toddler
fischda
August 11, 2013 in Polls
We are considering purchasing a springfree trampoline for our 28 month old daughter. But we're concerned it may be too dangerous for a toddler her age. What do folks think?
Way too dangerous
Should be ok, but monitor her on it closely
Buy it, you are a neurotic first-time parent
Brenda
call your insurance company and ask them what they think ... you may be surprised by the answer ...
August 11, 2013 at 6:21pm     
sandnmytoez
For what it's worth, my son had asthma and lung problems. We bought him a trampoline for fun and through play, he strengthened his lung power to the point the asthma literally went away! We found the covered trampoline to be safe and an excellent way to exercise.
August 11, 2013 at 6:35pm   
As long as there is adult supervision, the trampoline poses as much risk as having a swimming pool in the backyard.
August 11, 2013 at 6:38pm     
Lynda
We had one for both of my daughters and never had a problem. However, I just recently read a report that talked about the number of injuries and ER visits related to trampolines. It said that even with the net, children have gotten hurt when hitting the side rail. There were more dangers when 2 or more were bouncing at once. If I had to do it over again, I would probably still let my kids play in one. But after reading the report, I think I would monitor them much closer and make sure that they didn't get too rambuctious. We were lucky I guess.
August 11, 2013 at 6:48pm   
amberb73
Check out magic circle trampoline. The net is sewn into the mat so the kids can't get to the springs. Wonderful trampoline and safe. Ours is 3yrs old and is as good as new.
August 11, 2013 at 7:28pm   
Rebecca Sacerdoti
As a kid we had one and loved it. What about a jumpy house?.... inflates up and down so you do not have to deal with such huge thing in your yard all the time.
August 11, 2013 at 9:13pm      Thanked by fischda
juliadirubbo
The netting looks pretty safe, and she will be perfectly fine as long as you are keeping an eye on her.
August 11, 2013 at 9:52pm   
John Whipple - By Any Design ltd.
My daughter is a trampoline expert and she says springless trampolines are more bouncy than regular. I think kids are very bending but your daughter should be old enough to understand the rules of the trampoline first.

I think around 7-8 is a good age to get them going.... JW
August 11, 2013 at 10:19pm   
Alon Cohen
We have it, our kids are older but I still think it's very dangerous. Definitely need to monitor closely.
August 11, 2013 at 10:27pm        Thanked by fischda
alex511
I considered buying a trampoline for my son, but I was told by several pediatricians (my own and friends who are pediatricians) not to get one because of the number of accidents these cause. See attached links: http://www.wp-law.com/blog/2013/04/trampoline-accidents-decline-still-present-serious-problem/ http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/nation/story/2012/09/24/trampolines-too-dangerous-for-home-use-pediatricians-group-says-in-policy-statement/57835390/1
August 12, 2013 at 5:55am   
yoboseiyo
i think that if your child is able to understand the rules you set out for the trampoline, and not to touch the springs, then i think they'll be ok. definitely watch them closely while they're on it, though.
August 12, 2013 at 6:13am   
Quality Bath
You are not neurotic, just watch her closely! My neighbor bought a trampoline for her son at this age and decided it would keep him busy while she watched from the kitchen window (!). He broke his arm on it within the first week.
August 12, 2013 at 8:12am   
santoslhauper
My 7yr old niece broke her femur on one. She was supervised, which just meant watching it happen.
August 12, 2013 at 8:46am     
echoblack
If you get one for your child, definitely cover the springs with some foam or something like that
August 12, 2013 at 11:23am   
pirateroo
Hi, I suggest you get a minitramp with a handle on it. She can hold on and jump up and down and will only be 10-12" off the floor. No 2 year old needs a full size trampoline.
September 6, 2013 at 7:56pm   
Ideas for a large yard?
My parents' house sits on a quarter of a city block...
An odd place for an ugly door, how can I camouflage it?
This door in my master leads onto the hot tub deck,...
How large (or small) a pendant for a Foyer
This house is under construction. The Room is 6.5'...
Floor plan Critique, L-shape house
Greetings, We are about to pull the trigger on a new...
Bored with my loung room- need help pls!!
Hello Experts, I need help with my loung please! The...