Exterior Colors?
Chris Tio
August 12, 2013 in Design Dilemma
So... Our house has a white and orange trim and a black roof. There is painted brick beside the garage but we wanted to repaint into real looking brick. We also don't like the white and orange trim; any suggestions? We're going for a modern look with grays and reds but also a natural color palette like green or brown. The neighborhood our house is in has mostly a white, blue, or gold palette which limits me to using neutrals instead of bold colors. Any suggestions?
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brickln
To me brick never looks quite right painted red. I'd go with a taupe like BM Silver Fox with gray or blue/gray on the stucco area and a creamy white trim.
http://www.houzz.com/photos/products/silver-fox-paint http://www.houzz.com/photos/products/gray-paint/p/72
1 Like   Thanked by Chris Tio    August 12, 2013 at 5:04PM
Chris Tio
brickln, that's not a bad idea actually. If you have some suggestions about making the stucco a darker neutral color and the trim made a bit bolder, like for modern pallettes, that'd be great. Do you recommend wood structures anywhere there to add some modern-ness to it? XD But I know exterior paint takes a lot out of the pocket and I was wondering if you would suggest a color to replace the orange so it would be less of a job to take on...
0 Likes   August 12, 2013 at 5:17PM
Chris Tio
Also should I remove the bricks on the side altogether? It makes it look messy and I'd like it to look a bit more like the picture without overdoing it XD
0 Likes   August 12, 2013 at 5:21PM
PRO
Everything Beautiful Home Designs LLC
C-Tio we can paint the house and add finishes in 2D renderings as a visual reference for your project . Brickin knows my work. Hey brickin did holly find the stone yet?
0 Likes   Thanked by Chris Tio    August 12, 2013 at 5:38PM
Chris Tio
Sure! Please do if you can...
0 Likes   August 12, 2013 at 6:17PM
lefty47
HI -- Chris - If you could do something with the roofs - either put a roof on the house or take the roof off the garage . The garage looks like it was an add on . Do something like the house picture you posted , that would make this house stand out in the neighborhood. You cannot make the painted brick look like unpainted now .The white painted brick could be a nice accent with the right color on the rest of the house . Just to get you started , for now just primer paint out the offending colors -- you have to prime anyway . Painting out the colors and then that will help you see what you want to do with out looking at the distracting offending colors
0 Likes   Thanked by Chris Tio    August 12, 2013 at 6:53PM
Chris Tio
Thanks! I'll consider that. But the garage wasn't an add-on. The house was built in the 70s so it looked like that even b4.
0 Likes   August 12, 2013 at 6:56PM
Chris Tio
Any color suggestions if the brick counts to be painted again?
0 Likes   August 12, 2013 at 7:06PM
lefty47
HI - Chris - makes you wonder as to what they were thinking when they built the house , to have two opposing roof styles . The seventies wasn't the best era of design. You could just re paint the brick white or cream and have white or cream trims and so on then a pretty color on the rest of the house . Have a look at "Amsterdam Blue " by Benjamin Moore . The greys are kind of getting over done but go into the warmer greys or a charcoal if you want . Have a look at Behr.com and then go to architectural styles , you might see a color combo you like there .
0 Likes   Thanked by Chris Tio    August 12, 2013 at 8:34PM
Chris Tio
I'll go check behr...
0 Likes   August 12, 2013 at 10:35PM
Chris Tio
Pretty cool. I liked the simple charcoal and white combo with the red door. Thanks alot!
0 Likes   August 12, 2013 at 10:47PM
brickln
Well, try the trim in charcoal and a medium blue/gray on the stucco. Blue gray up against natural wood looks great if you'll be adding a pergola.

Red door will look sharp.
0 Likes   Thanked by Chris Tio    August 13, 2013 at 3:16AM
Chris Tio
That looks nice! Definitely looks modern. Probably a pergola by the small area on the right or by the backyard.
0 Likes   August 13, 2013 at 11:03AM
Chris Tio
Thanks everyone! Please post more suggestions if you have some, but lefty47 and brickln, I will definitely consider your ideas!
0 Likes   August 13, 2013 at 11:05AM
More Discussions
Looking for slip cover for sofa and chairs
Sending pics ....sofa seat cushions are just square...
Help! Feminine Home office needs color and excitement
This is a photo of my home office currently. I'd love...
Painting a wooden mantle
We recently moved into a home, and in the family room...
How to hide closet doors
I am looking for suggestions on how to hide these doors....
Need ideas for my backyard.
This dirt part is along the whole back wall of our...
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2014 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™