Furniture layout
Shannon Novotny
Hello, we just moved into this house and don't know where to place furniture in our living room. It's 12x20 with lots of windows and a fireplace. Any suggestions on where furniture should go? We haven't bought anything yet! Thanks!!
the essentials inside
Hi Shannon. Congrats on your new home.

Is the alcove just windows or doors that lead somewhere? Is the furniture in the pictures yours?

~Lyvonne
    Bookmark   Thanked by Shannon Novotny    August 12, 2013 at 8:25PM
Shannon Novotny
Hi Lyvonne! Thanks for looking! The back of the room has a six foot wide bay window. The furniture is a mix of things left by the old owners and random pieces from the move. Appreciate your help!!
    Bookmark   August 12, 2013 at 8:39PM
the essentials inside
You're welcome Shannon.

Do you need to put a tv in this room?

~Lyvonne
    Bookmark   Thanked by Shannon Novotny    August 12, 2013 at 9:04PM
Shannon Novotny
Nope!!
    Bookmark   August 12, 2013 at 9:07PM
MJ Forester
I'm not a designer but I'd paint the brick white, right off the bat. Paint the walls white or a pale shade of blue. Invest in floor to ceiling drapes in white or a light tan pattern. I'd have two matching light tan love seats or sofas (whichever fits best) facing each other opposite the fireplace, and with a simple coffee table in the middle. Or, a sofa and two matching club chairs. I'd maybe place chairs by the bay window, or reupholster those benches. I'm not sure you need anything right by the windows at the other end. I wouldn't fill this space with too much furniture. Keep it simple. Don't put your tv above the fireplace no matter what.
1 Like    Bookmark   August 12, 2013 at 11:47PM
the essentials inside
Shannon - is there one entrance or two to this room?

I like MJ's idea of the sofa & two matching chairs facing either other (perpendicular to the fireplace).

For now move the little benches into the alcove just to get a feel for how you like something in that space.

Do you have any chairs in another room that you could use as placeholders?

~Lyvonne
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by Shannon Novotny    August 13, 2013 at 7:28PM
Shannon Novotny
There is only one entrance. I only have dining room chairs, do you think that would work? What size rug? 5 x8 or larger?
    Bookmark   August 14, 2013 at 3:43PM
Marc Russell Interiors
Do not do/buy anything untill you have had the room drawn out by a pro to scale. Let that person know how you plan on using the room, and take it from there. They should come up with several floor plans for you. Better to invest in a perfect floor plan to scale, than buy a bunch of stuff that won't look right, or satisfy your lifestyle. Good luck!
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by Shannon Novotny    August 14, 2013 at 3:54PM
Shannon Novotny
Ok, what about a sofa and two of these chairs? And then maybe maybe maybe some sort of other kind of chair (wicker or fabric) in the alcove. A simple coffee table and maybe a sofa table?
    Bookmark   August 14, 2013 at 4:00PM
MJ Forester
I'm not personally a fan of leather chairs unless they are a lighter and more worn looking leather, but you should purchase what you really like in the end. I'd go neutral on the couch - tan, beige, off white (no off white you have kids, lol!) and than the chairs in a complimenting monochrome pattern (like attached). You can add color in art, pillows, throws, baskets, vases, etc.
I just moved to a new house and had to buy a bunch of new stuff which totally freaked me out. After two months with no seating I ended up just going with a light brown couch (nice and on sale) because if I want to upgrade or change it if I change my style, I can move it to another area of the house (the den) or sell it. I waited another couple months until I found the perfect chairs to go with it. Measure the area where you want to place your couch with tape. With this method you can measure what is too big or too small for the space.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by Shannon Novotny    August 14, 2013 at 4:58PM
the essentials inside
MJ - love the pictures you posted. That is exactly the layout that would look great in Shannon's room.

Marc - you are right - having professional help is something we recommend as well.

Shannon - the chairs are nice but I see them more in a study. Are you keeping your current couch or shopping for something new. If you are keeping the current, can you post a pic of the couch? I can only see a little of it in one of your other pics.

~Lyvonne
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Shannon Novotny    August 14, 2013 at 7:58PM
snovotny
I am not keeping the current couch and really appreciate everyone's feedaback! This has been so helpful - thank you all!
    Bookmark   August 15, 2013 at 11:07AM
the essentials inside
Ok, so we want to start with a couch, two chairs, a rug and a coffee table. What style do you prefer - traditional, modern, transitional, funky/eclectic? Sorry if you said already.

~Lyvonne
1 Like    Bookmark   August 15, 2013 at 7:50PM
snovotny
I guess it would be transitional. Thanks! I'm so excited!
1 Like    Bookmark   August 15, 2013 at 7:55PM
the essentials inside
Ok, so let's start looking at couches first. Unfortunately, we don't care any. But do you have a favorite store? Do you have a budget for the room?

~Lyvonne
    Bookmark   August 15, 2013 at 8:22PM
2taniya
What a pretty room with such nice windows! Do I also see a stair rail behind the current end table and lamp? I like the idea of a sofa facing 2 chairs perpendicular from the fireplace - or two love seats. YOu will need space to pass from one end of the room to the other. From your photos the walls look to be a soft yellow and look nice with the brick fireplace - are you thinking to paint or leave that as is? Will you want drapes or shades or what is your window plan? Though I personally would figure out the furniture first and then decide about the windows. In the bay window a small chair and lamp might make a nice reading spot. What is the view from that window? There is a shelved alcove to the right of the bay window - is there a matching one to the left? If you decide to use that as a reading are, books would be a great idea for some of the shelves. If you don't want to use it as a reading area, perhaps a small round table to do puzzles or other tasks that need lots of light. On the triple window end I would consider a writing table or other attractive table with a pretty lamp on it. The lamp would most likely be off centered. Again - what is the view from that window? I'm thinking that might be the window one sees from the street or driveway - it would look nice at night with a lamp lighting it up and welcoming you in. Work with your existing furniture and see what sorts of arrangements will work for you. Have fun!
1 Like    Bookmark   August 15, 2013 at 8:55PM
spitfire60
I like the pieces in front of the window, I would utilize them to fit into the decor away from the windows maybe beneath the other window.. I can see it as extra seating or storage if you build under them. You could frost the windows to keep them completely open to let the light in but have privacy too. I used white finger paint on mine.. brushed it on.. or you could use a film
    Bookmark   Thanked by Shannon Novotny    August 15, 2013 at 9:25PM
snovotny
Ok, played around with furniture placement last night and love all the ideas! Here's what it looks like now.
    Bookmark   August 16, 2013 at 6:37AM
the essentials inside
It is going to look great with that set up! I would have at least 2 feet between the fireplace and the furniture & 2 feet between the opposite wall and the furniture. You should have no problem with that with an average size couch.

What size is the rug you have there - 5 x 7? When we start looking for rugs, I would do 8x10.

Anyone else vote 8x10?

~Lyvonne
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by Shannon Novotny    August 16, 2013 at 7:10AM
snovotny
I think 8x10 for sure. What do you think of this sofa if I could get it with three cushions? And not this fabric color. http://www.potterybarn.com/products/carlisle-upholstered-apartment-sofa/?pkey=e%7Csofa%7C152%7Cbest%7C0%7C1%7C24%7C%7C22&cm_src=PRODUCTSEARCH||NoFacet-_-NoFacet-_-NoMerchRules-_-
1 Like    Bookmark   August 16, 2013 at 7:51AM
the essentials inside
I love the sofa! Does it come w/three cushions? Do you need three cushions? What color fabric are you thinking about? I like the dark blue.

Check out this thread -- http://www.houzz.com/discussions/609820/I-misjudged-furniture-I-bought-online-and -- she has a similar couch (brand new) & is thinking of selling - thinks it is too big for her room. Maybe you could get it cheap. :)

~Lyvonne
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by Shannon Novotny    August 16, 2013 at 7:14PM
Shannon Novotny
It only comes with two cushions but I could try and find something like it maybe? Thanks for the tip!!
1 Like    Bookmark   August 16, 2013 at 7:48PM
peggyjackson3
I'll sell it for half the retail price and it is brand spanking new!
1 Like    Bookmark   August 16, 2013 at 8:11PM
snovotny
Where is it from and where are you located?
1 Like    Bookmark   August 16, 2013 at 8:15PM
the essentials inside
Awesome - glad you guys connected. If you do decide to sell Peggy, you might try to contact YRC Freight -- http://www.yrc.com/ We use them. I'm not sure if they work directly with individuals but they might.

Shannon - I'll be back later to search for some other options. :)

~Lyvonne
1 Like    Bookmark   August 17, 2013 at 1:53AM
peggyjackson3
I'm in Portland Oregon.
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 3:47PM
Furniture layout for living room/family room ...Help please
We have recently made out old home open concept. I...
imsuzz
Need help with furniture layout in odd room!
We are slowly updating an out dated 1980's house. I...
bmevans2004
Furniture layout for an awkward open floor plan
The living/dining area of our apartment has a very...
kataomoi
Furniture layout for home office
How would you layout a desk in this office? There are...
capecod17
Need help with furniture layout!
Hello, We just moved into a 1930's spanish style...
lg1007
Fireplace wall bummer!
Fireplace wall has got to go. Really need ideas. Would...
Karen M
redecorating my powder room
i have painted the walls navy blue, and replaced the...
Jan Hendrick
I would like to redecorate my bathroom.
It's nothing fancy but I have empty walls Lots of...
marthawidgen
Please help completing my great room
It is a very bare space at the moment as I have focused...
Stefanie
Window treatment suggestions?
Hi Houzzers, should mention the eating area will be...
Melissa Felber