What Color Fence - Light or Dark?
chrisinbalmain
Help! I can't decide what color to paint this picket fence? Light, like the window surrounds, or dark, like the garage door? At the moment it is just white undercoat. We live very close to the water, so we are not planning on painting the galvanized iron balustrades on the top balcony, but we are thinking of lining the ceiling of the balcony and painting it a light color. I have attached the original and some photo shopped images. When we get the plants in it will soften the look somewhat. Any comments or help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
TJG Design Studio
What about a lighter natural wood colour?
1 Like   Thanked by chrisinbalmain    August 12, 2013 at 10:45PM
Tradewinds General Contracting, Inc.
I like the contrast of the white. It's too heavy with a dark color.
0 Likes   Thanked by chrisinbalmain    August 12, 2013 at 10:53PM
Sequins
light white of the windows.
0 Likes   Thanked by chrisinbalmain    August 12, 2013 at 11:15PM
dirtman250
Leave the fence white and maybe put in some bushes on each side of the window
0 Likes   Thanked by chrisinbalmain    August 12, 2013 at 11:46PM
lhatters
What about green like the front door?
4 Likes   Thanked by chrisinbalmain    August 13, 2013 at 12:03AM
dirtman250
Ya that would look good definitely a light color. But I think some shrubbery would add some more 3 dimensional character.
0 Likes   Thanked by chrisinbalmain    August 13, 2013 at 12:08AM
Sharon
I really like your third photo shop mock up, sort of coffee coloured.
1 Like   Thanked by chrisinbalmain    August 13, 2013 at 5:43AM
chrisinbalmain
I think I can safely rule out lime. Good suggestion though!
1 Like   August 13, 2013 at 10:39PM
Turath Dhont
I like white as well! Can you please tell me what program you're using to change the color of the fence? Please message me if you don't mind. I am in desperate need of design advice regarding my kitchen but if I could see what I'm envisioning it would make all the difference.
1 Like   August 13, 2013 at 11:32PM
Pam Stephenson
I would paint the fence white. The same white as the trim. Or if you want to freshen the trim as well I've been
loving DE Whisper White- a definite nice white yet not too glarey.
1 Like   August 14, 2013 at 12:36AM
Sheri Wilson Fine Art
3rd photo is the safest route with continous color f/ garage. 4th photo shadows the balcony galvanized balustrades. All your choices would be wonderful especially as you plan to soften it with plants eventually. As mentioned, coffee is a beautiful accent with the door color. You could take on a matching task and do the trim again to match the fence in any of your choices. Sweet adorable home and near the water too! Now you have inspired me to paint my fence.
2 Likes   August 14, 2013 at 2:03AM
stueerb
I believe the 4th photo ... looks like more of a muted white which will not call full attention to the fence ... it will draw the eye to the house. Love the door color looks like a yellow-lime color ... Suggest same color drapes in first floor window. Also, need some color at top floor level so I would go with painting ceiling of overhang of upper deck and if your near water ... go for a cool blue!!!
1 Like   August 14, 2013 at 2:35AM
Sheri Wilson Fine Art
^stueerb, we often forget about the drapes and how they hang and there exterior appearance. Good call. Do not know the location of this sweet home but in Santa Fe the use of cool blue is absolutely beautiful in exterior paints against the sky backdrop.
0 Likes   August 15, 2013 at 6:45PM
stueerb
Thank you Sherischart!
0 Likes   August 16, 2013 at 4:10AM
chrisinbalmain
Thank you everyone for all your input. We are going to paint the fence the lightest colour. The colour is Taubmans Torte. The window is already painted this colour (as is the front door surround). Ill definitely post some after pics when it's done.
Hi Sherischart. This house is in Birchgrove, Sydney Australia, and we are fortunate enough to overlook Sydney Harbour, looking out to the North West.
I am considering a lime coloured drop down blind on the top balcony to protect us from the afternoon sun. This will balance the front door nicely. Oh! and I have an orange letterbox http://www.ute.net.au/buyonline/arko-letterbox-contemporary
Cheers!
0 Likes   August 16, 2013 at 5:57AM
Sheri Wilson Fine Art
Chrisinbalmain, love your choices. Taubmans Torte / Valspar has such a compatible grid to complement your home. Looking forward to the grand finale and the curb appeal pics.
Thank you for the reference to your location because I learned of Birchgrove's fine history along with its beauty of parks. It is rather appropriate choosing the lime green to balance the front door nicely and too it is honoring the history of all the orange trees. HAH! Which explains your orange letterbox motif. Got to love it.
Cheers!
1 Like   Thanked by chrisinbalmain    August 16, 2013 at 7:39AM
Dynamic Garage Door
It would probably look best in white as it will make a great backdrop for the plants you plan on bringing in. Don't do dark as it will consume the darker greens your plants will have. Additionally, you might want to offset the garage door in white as well to tie in everything together. Perhaps a new garage door, might we suggest? Take a look at some ideas here on Houzz http://www.houzz.com/pro/dynamicgarage-door/__public
0 Likes   August 16, 2013 at 1:06PM
Hate my new granite!!! This whole process has been a nightmare :(
I'm really trying not to get so worked up about this,...
mhaber22
Cabinets and shelves next to fireplace
Building a new house. One side of fireplace is cabinets...
304harbordesign
Bedroom paint ideas
I have a small bedroom with espresso colored bedroom...
Laura Harris
Traditional mixed with transitional or semi modern
Is it appropriate to mix traditional and semi modern...
tazzman2
Steam shower
Probably going to update our shower and convert to...
ddo323