To change or not to change colour on doors

ngbrancoAugust 14, 2013
Paint on upper wood part has been recently painted to match with facets and roof. Do you think that front doors need to be repainted and what suggestive colours would work?
ngbranco
Here is a closer view of the colour its a reddish walnut stain
    Bookmark   August 14, 2013 at 6:22AM
Matilda Bos Design Studio
Hi....I wonder why you chose that color, it doesn't really relate to the brick, the front door does compliment the
brick, and the garage doors. Personally I would re-stain what you just did in a color close to the door.
    Bookmark   August 17, 2013 at 10:30PM
Rina
On the other hand, you could play up the contrast between your siding colour and the brick by choosing a notably darker version of the siding colour in a high gloss paint for your doors.

And please forgive me for sticking my nose in where you probably don't want it, but I don't think the arched window is doing your dramatic, angular architecture any favours. Is it a real window, 'cause it doesn't look like one in your photograph? Also its pronounced symmetry looks 'off' situated to the side of that wall; that kind of shape needs a centre positioning. I've no idea what's behind that wall, of course, but if it's possible some time in the future a change like this might work better. (I've also recoloured the doors, I hope the colour shows up well.)
2 Likes    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 1:33AM
DesignPro Interiors, LLC - Leah Spinney
Please change the color. Hire a professional color consultant. I charge $150 an hour and your house will look amazing guaranteed when the changes are made.
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 1:55AM
DesignPro Interiors, LLC - Leah Spinney
Why are there different windows above the front door depending on which photo you are looking at? The asymmetry of the arched windows looks terrible. To minimize the effect that area needs to be lightened and the door needs to be bolder and anchor the house entryway. Also, the fuchsia plants are horrible with the brick facade. Switch to a compatible color and create a clear access to the front door nd it will make more sense.
    Bookmark   Thanked by ngbranco    August 18, 2013 at 2:03AM
Rina
Hi Designpro. The different windows are my fault. I drew them in in the hope that ngbranco might consider a major change there some time in the future. See my comment above.
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 2:27AM
ngbranco
Thanks for your comments.

Design Pro the arched window was placed this way by the builder. That has no barrier on me. So if it looks "terrible" there's not much I can do about it. The master bedroom is beside that window to the right when looking at it and directly below to the right of the the front doors(that clearly need a clear access, is the sitting room. So clearly no window or even this window for that matter can be centered. From the inside it looks great. I am sorry that the fushia flowers are not your liking. I suppose at a $150 bucks an hour your floral selection would be much greater.

Rina not too sure what colour you used for the front doors but it appears to be a darker version of what is already there. So I really dont see much of a difference other than the colour of the wood siding needs to be changed to something lighter. Again the arched window is not my doing. It can"t be changed.
    Bookmark   August 20, 2013 at 5:41AM
Rina
Hi again, ngbranco. Yes, on the drawn image I did the difference in the colours is noticeable -- but it's not when it's attached here. My apologies, I should have checked and tried reposting a new version. It's essentially the same colour, but much darker and very high gloss. I like it because it doesn't bother me that your siding colour doesn't blend with the brick; contrast is interesting. But then it would be nice to play it up by making it even stronger with the doors. I don't think bringing in another colour would work (?). I guess you could also just paint the doors white, but I think you would lose a lot of the interest in the design of the front door. By the way, I love the flowers. They also create a nice, edgy contrast with the brick, but kind of blend with the siding colour. Fun.

If you'd like me to redraw the rendering trying another colour on the doors, let me know. I'd be glad to.

I do think it's a pity you can't change the window, but if you're okay with it that's cool too. Is it a different kind of glass? The panes don't look as reflective as the panes on the other windows.
    Bookmark   August 20, 2013 at 6:04AM
ngbranco
Hi Rina, no worries about the door colour not being noticeable. it did appear darker but the high gloss wasn't noticeable. Either way I am not content with the overall colour that I have chosen for the siding and yes it does bother me. I was looking for constructive criticism and not to being sabotaged. I do like the overall appearance of my home and just need to correct this minor error. Ironically the original house plans do have that same window off centered too.. Oh well what can you do?? Possibly lightening the colour may help to make this less noticeable..darkening it makes it too noticeable..Have you any suggestions as to a lighter stain colour that would help to blend things in. Nancy
1 Like    Bookmark   August 20, 2013 at 9:47AM
Rina
Ah! I didn't realise you want to change the siding colour. Where I live we don't know nuttin' about siding, but if you can lighten it, then I'm thinking get close to the colour of the grout of the brick. Can you paint it, as opposed to restaining? I'd try to draw it, but the colours I pick up from the grout come close to the colour of the brick (technical problem but annoying). I could still try to do it, but not now because where I am the sun has set, my dog's asleep, and I haven't had supper yet. Sabotage se voet. (Local lingo: it means "sabotage's foot". I know that's not a helpful translation. Perhaps "Ignore All Sabotage" would be better.) I think the overall architecture is stunning, actually. But yes, a neutral kind of look. Which might leave you free for a glossy black door? I think that would look good, because your siding would be a kind of grey. If dog keeps quiet I might still try to do a drawing tonight, but don't hold your breath.
    Bookmark   August 20, 2013 at 10:09AM
victorianbungalowranch
I think a greige or a greyish type color with lower contrast to the window trim would look better--needs a bit of a rosy overtone to go with the brick and mortar. Lighter and lower contrast will help balance the big and unusual window.

I think the door style is fine, but should either be painted to match or to clearly contrast, and painting the trim around the door and sidelight windows the same color would make them look more substantial--the grills will match the other windows so don't worry. Once you pick a softer upper color, then the current color might work, or you could go with something classic like black or charcoal grey or maybe a type of very dark green-black.

I think the bushes and flowers would look better if it was softened a bit--perhaps with some ornamental grasses and looser flowers with yellows, light pinks, whites, maybe a dash of orange to break it up.
    Bookmark   August 20, 2013 at 10:15AM
Rina
I've worked on the rendering -- how does this strike you? Taupe siding, near-black doors (a touch of dark brown in there), dark taupe trim on the doors. I find it works to emphasise the door, and the taupe tends to link the two roof surfaces, which is to the good.
3 Likes    Bookmark   August 21, 2013 at 3:16AM
tives
I think that the comments to the homeowner are quite harsh and not very helpful. The photo Rina just posted makes the house look much worse.
    Bookmark   August 21, 2013 at 3:59AM
Rina
Sorry you think that, tives. I'm just exploring a few possibilities for Nancy. Trying to show how they might look. I like the original colours, but she doesn't. Unfortunately I can't help with possible stain colours to try as I'm not in the US and don't know the products available. Perhaps you can help on that score? Nancy, what do you think of the taupe (as an approximation of a possible colour)? The dark door? I did fiddle with a more greige colour but it seemed to clash with the brick. It might not in reality.
    Bookmark   August 21, 2013 at 5:44AM
ngbranco
I actually do love the colour of the doors Rina...they really pop. Very striking. The wooden siding does need to be, in my opinion, lightened up and because its hard to lighten up a dark colour I may need to resort to painting it with a solid stain. Thank you for all your efforts and feedback. The wooden siding may need to go back to a redwood stain...to blend it in with the brick and to make less noticeable the arched window over the front doors. What colour did you use for the doors Rina?
    Bookmark   August 21, 2013 at 7:10AM
Rina
I'm so glad. Unfortunately my colours are digitally produced on my computer. But I've looked at some Benjamin Moore colours and it looks very close to Espresso Bean on my screen. You could also look at BM Night Shade or maybe Almost Black. I deliberately created the "almost black" I used in the brown area of the colour chart, so it's a very very dark, desaturated brown, really. Or black given a small nudge in the direction of brown. Then I took the trim a bit lighter, what might be one or two paint shades, so that the design of the door still shows.

I do hope you can get just the colour you want for the siding. It certainly seems to be a technical problem at this stage. Please let me know if you want me to experiment more, it's a pleasure to do. And please keep us updated.
    Bookmark   August 21, 2013 at 7:41AM
ngbranco
Again I cant thank you enough for all you've done. For me it was either one project or the other and since i messed up the siding that will be the one that I will need to fix..or should I say my husband..lol
I will keep you all posted and do hope to come up with a solution rather quickly. I was looking at the Sherwin-Williams find and explore section. They have a stain collection but unfortunately I don't think they have that for use in the colour visualizer. That would have been beneficial. :(
    Bookmark   August 21, 2013 at 7:49AM
Rina
You'll get there. It's often more fun to overcome a difficulty than to have no difficulties at all. In the meantime, I envy you those stunning, angular brick walls. Oh my!

PS Why do you so sensibly spell "color" "colour"? Fee fi fo fum, do I smell the blood of an Englishwomun?
    Bookmark   August 21, 2013 at 9:09AM
ngbranco
In Canada either version of the word "color" can be generally used and accepted. The most commonly used is colour which is the official spelling. ;)
    Bookmark   August 21, 2013 at 9:50AM
Rina
I entirely approve. :)
    Bookmark   August 21, 2013 at 9:52AM
victorianbungalowranch
I totally missed that the siding was stained--to go lighter you have to prime and paint.

I think the color is OK on the siding actually, and would go for perhaps a deeper muted purple-brown on the door, but without the white around the windows. Try it with the color you have first and see what you think. I would leave the white outer frame I think--or at least try it first with just the windows and go from there.

More variety and color and softer shapes and some height in the landscaping would help a great deal. A designer can help you pick things that are low maintenance.
    Bookmark   August 21, 2013 at 1:49PM
ngbranco
Hi victorianbungalowranch, thank you ...the colour does grow on you after awhile. Would I be able to stain it with a lighter semi transparent stain after I prime it or will I need to go with a solid?
    Bookmark   August 21, 2013 at 2:23PM
ngbranco
My concern is now to divert the eye away from the arched window above the front door. Before I chose this colour to stain with, it wasn't as noticeable. My mistake. I wanted to change things up a bit but instead messed them up.
    Bookmark   August 21, 2013 at 2:28PM
victorianbungalowranch
No, it will have to be painted if you prime. Perhaps try living with it for awhile and it will fade a bit. I think changing the landscaping and darkening the door will do a lot to help balance it out.
    Bookmark   August 21, 2013 at 2:50PM
ngbranco
Hmm maybe I will just live with it for a bit of time. The flowers are only seasonal. When Fall comes around I change them up and will try to keep in mind to add other colours to the pots for next year. I was thinking of painting the doors originally, if I went this route, I was going with a dark midnight blue in a glossy paint??
    Bookmark   August 21, 2013 at 3:00PM
The Color People
First paint the sidelights the color of the trim so the door stands out. Then when you paint the door (and you have a pretty free hand here do to the neutral body color) ABSOLUTELY paint the white edge on the door the same color as the door. Nothing looks more pedestrian than leaving it white. Have you ever seen a grand home with a white stripe around the light? No. So make you house as grand as it can be by not doing to yours.
    Bookmark   August 21, 2013 at 3:26PM
Should I paint my golden oak cabinets?
I am contemplating painting my cabinets. I like my...
zgdia17
Want to change color of front door, shutter and garage door.
Attached is my ranch style home. I would like to paint...
susanrav4
Need siding & paint colour change
Need a new colour for siding and paint colour. We seem...
aliheeringa
Colour suggestions. Other architectual changes too.
Don't know where to start. Limited budget too, of course....
blue252
To change or not to change
This is my 16 year old kitchen. Cabinets and finish...
johannyj
Where to buy a great quality slipcovered sofa???
I am searching for sofas for my family room...I am...
schwenkb
bathroom - tub to shower conversion
This isn't a full remodel, so we'd like to keep costs...
kb_03
Need lighting help in the kitchen
I am looking for two island pendants or two island...
flypiper
Help w/ wall color to go with slate floor & dark wood trim in sunroom
The walls are currently painted Benjamin Moore Sherwood...
lnmelon
upholstery fabric color that go with purple?
I'm painting my bedroom walls dark purple (aubergine),...
vhormazabal