How do I give my Porch more curb appeal?
Trixie Worner
We live in a 1980's house in England. I feel that the front porch needs something... Ideas please to give it more curb appeal.
I might start by creating something so that cars are not so close to the house.
August 14, 2013 at 3:16pm      Thanked by Trixie Worner
klf78
Not many garages in the UK. It's common to park right in front of the house.
August 14, 2013 at 4:44pm   
chocolatechipp
clean or re-patch the roof in a darker color, it looks grayed out and dirty. Also, you might try painting the door and surround a brighter burgundy than the window trim, and possibly adding a topiary near the door
August 14, 2013 at 5:06pm     
elenanoir
I think a picture that includes the rest of the house would be helpful for comments. I wanted to suggest adding a trellis, seeing that you have such great climbing plants, but I'm not sure it would even fit the home or help it.
August 14, 2013 at 5:30pm     
Barbara Krai Interior Design
Paint the door and side light window trim cobalt blue then add a cobalt blue ceramic pot with seasonal colorful flowers. This will keep your entry looking bright and fresh!
August 14, 2013 at 6:02pm     
saller
Love the Wisteria vine!
August 14, 2013 at 8:24pm        Thanked by Trixie Worner
Trixie Worner
Thank you all so much for your input. I've posted some better views of the house and drive. We do have a double garage but we have an unusual orientation to the road. The front porch is on the side of the house and not facing the road. Saller thanks about the Wisteria, its an Alba version and I've been nurturing it for about 5 years. It was stunning this year. I've attached a picture of the stained glass in the front door as I think the colours of this should be considered. The roof of the porch/house/garage is in cement tiles.
August 15, 2013 at 2:20am   
shelleyuk
I'd look at maybe changing the door. Your house has a country vibe going on and the door says modern.
August 15, 2013 at 3:21am      Thanked by Trixie Worner
Barbara Krai Interior Design
Looks like you have space, and your gorgeous Wisteria shows you have a way with flowers, so definitely install a long glorious window box with an array of flowers and cascading vines that will complement and balance the Wisteria. With the addition of a large planter on the front porch with more flowers, and a fresh complementary coat of paint on your front door, you will have a complete garden bringing life to your entry!
August 15, 2013 at 5:34am      Thanked by Trixie Worner
elenanoir
If it were mine, I would be looking for something structural to change the entry, because I think it makes the whole home more interesting. Without ripping anything out. I would think about talking to a mason to see what options they have for creating a more generous stoop that extends to the drive. (Especially if there's a mason among your friends and family.) Even if you have an existing porch to the side, a shallow piece in the front might make the entry feel more welcoming and a little grander. I still feel that the wisteria deserves plenty of showcasing too. There are many trellis designs worth exploring to make a "living wall" or create a space using the plant you already have thriving. I've seen walls, bench backs, pillars...I think between the wisteria and some additional floor space out there you could really get a stunning "outdoor foyer" without extending the house. Good luck!
August 19, 2013 at 4:48am   
michtam
I love the wisteria, your hard work has certainly paid off! As far as the frontage is concerned, I guess it depends on how much you're looking to spend. At the moment, there's rather a lot of the colour magnolia which is quite bland, especially with the front door in the same colour or is it simply a trick of the light and the main house is actually white, like next door? I'd like to see a splash of colour somewhere so a cheap option is to simply paint the front door (choose the red or green in your stained glass window or yep, as suggested above, a lovely deep blue). Add another splash of colour by adding a pretty window box beneath the front window and if you can afford it, paint the window frames white or the same colour as your new front door colour. If you're happy to spend a bit more dosh then lose the magnolia which doesn't do justice to your wisteria, paint the window frames and brickwork white and change the front door.
August 19, 2013 at 5:37am   
Roc+Solid Land Design
The architecture is electric, so I would paint the front door (just the door) bright citrus green, then the side trim aqua or white. Then maybe the window trim a medium gray. Something like that. And the roof trim the same citrus green. If you like this idea, I suggest photoshop to try out different color combos.
February 6, 2014 at 5:00pm   
How can I add more curb appeal to my cottage!
We just bought this fixer upper and my theme is cottage....
How can I give this curb appeal?
There is a great wood door, but someone painted it...
What can I do to add more curb appeal?
Presently having trees removed from rear lot to add...
Curb appeal help!
We bought this house last fall. We love the corner...
Wondering how best to beautify this 1960's house frontage
Hello there Wondering if there are any good ideas...
what goes with a teal couch??
I have this light teal couch and love seat and have...
(Scaling) My Hubby is getting SICK of this empty room (SO AM I!!)
........... It's the first room people see when they...
What would you put on this granite wall above fireplace
What wall plaque would you put on this granite wall...