Need help design living room wall
frustrated_designer
Hello! I am planning to put bricks/stone design to the wall as accent and maintain the tv, but don't know what bricks or stone designs to put. Can I extend the design to the blank wall on the right?
I think you could based on this one photo, but do you have more photos you can share?
August 19, 2013 at 2:52PM   
7j DESIGN
Layout of this room would help, along with some pictures showing rest of the room.
August 19, 2013 at 5:01PM   
americandreamdyn
Bricks or stone "can" look great, but thats in question. We houzzers need a few more photos & details of your home.
Will either of those design ideas flow with the style of the rest of your home?
Check out El Dorado Stones website for brick & stone examples & of course enter "brick wall" & "stone wall" on the houzz search engine.
August 19, 2013 at 5:19PM   
irishgems
This is a real simple solution to your problem! www.hakatai.com,search for the official web site.They have every style of smooth river stone for a cost that will allow any one the opportunity to have a very high end quality product, and the very best part is the installation can be performed by the home owner with no knowledge at all!The Hakatai Company has a very devoted personal,and a very well description of DIY job.I am a professional along with my wife is a Art grad from our local University,and her Murials/Mosaics are a very beautiful accent to any room in your home.I hope you find what ever you need her and you take the time to search there entire product line for future projects in your home .Glass Stone Metals,every style of material that will assist in your home needs.I wish you very well.God Bless,and good luck.
August 20, 2013 at 4:01AM   
frustrated_designer
Hi, thank you for your comments. The following pictures, I hope could give the idea how the area looks like. If you would notice the living room and dining area does not have any division. So what I thought was to put a "wall stone design" to accent the living room area and separate it from the dining area.
August 20, 2013 at 6:28AM   
Christine
Hey Frustrated. Just for the sake of wading through everything. I am going to be direct. Please do not feel overwhelmed or have any hurt feeling because it is not a judgment of your existing space. You DO have a great space with tons of potential but there are many things to be adddressed.

You have alot going on in the room that structurally and asthetically do not work and will look pretty bad if you just put up a stone wall as some type of separator between the living and dining. If you do have bank to invest in putting a wall up, I would suggest you put that plan on hold and address to multiple issues in the room that don't work.

The area by the window has all these crazy niches and soffits. Maybe they are there to hold the pot lights but you would do yourself a huge favor by finding a contractor who can handle tear outs, sheetrock and electricity. Have him or her remove those niches by the window and eliminate the soffit that runs over that area. Then get rid of the lowered ceiling over the dining table. Try to end up with a finished plain white box.

If you like the feel of the pot lights then I would have the contractor work with you to designate zones and then you can re-install them in a more sensible way and assign zones so if you want to just turn them on in the living room area you can or if you want to just have some over the dining table you can turn off everything else.

Now once you have a plain white, squared off box free of the niches, soffits and dropped ceilings you can then consider if you want to put up a stacked stone wall. It would not be my first suggestion but if that is what speaks to you then go for it but put it up on that entire wall as a way to unify the space. OR if you truly envison it as a divider then build the wall where the tv will go out so that there is a sense of separateness. go for simple clean stones and avoid using large stones or boulders. My advice for you would be to go with paint and wall paper and furniture. I think a pale forest green would be nice with some large print wall paper. Then a large area rug and different furniture. I think a small sectional would add the sense of being a divided area if part of it swung back to the dining area. Then just a few more simple pieces would be all you need. Eliminate the hutch with the old school television and just mount the flat screen one you have and have the electrician run the wires behind the wall with the proper access outlets. A tufted ottoman or sleek coffee table and a simple side chair would complete the room and a small console under the tele to hold all your components. Then remove those curtains and go with floor to ceiling panels on each side of the window. If you are lucky to get rid of those niches by the windows, then the panels can give the feel of the window being larger. Then go for simple blinds but use the light that may be on the other side of the curtains to your advantage. Accessorize with painting, lamps, cushions and you will have a really great space.
August 20, 2013 at 8:38AM     
Pure Home
Here is the easiest route for you that will look nice, and have a warm appeal. It is stick on wood wallpaper. Good luck!

August 20, 2013 at 5:04PM   
JWinteriors
Agree totally with Christine.
August 20, 2013 at 5:31PM   
frustrated_designer
Thank you Christine for your suggestions, I appreciate it. Wall paper is not an option since I live in a country frequently hit by storms and flooding.
August 20, 2013 at 6:55PM   
americandreamdyn
I think Pure Home means stick on wood for wall decor, NOT a wallpaper with a wood print. However it wont go with the loads of different shades of wood you have going on.
If you paint your wood furniture a unifying color like such as a glossy black, then the wood wall would lood great!
Although, you did say you want a brick or stone wall. So if your heart is set on either of those 2 materials than dont be swayed away.
August 20, 2013 at 10:57PM     
americandreamdyn
Thanks for uploading more pictures.
Your style appears to be "Eclectic". Use "eclectic" in the houzz search engine to help you figure out how to use your favorite pieces you already own in your new dining/living room design.
The wood bench & the 2 matching wood chairs in the living room are excellent pieces. They have "good bones" which means that they are great to build upon. They would look fantastic painted a high gloss black with new patterened fabric coushions & used as seating for the Dining Table, NOT the living room!
They're a bench & chairs, which is NOT comfortable for lounging on for hours watching movies in the living room.
Also the brown molding would look better painted black.
The open hutch looks awkward in between the dining/living & would look better set into the nitch to the right of the wall mounted flatscreen. (hope it fits there) Also visible cds & dvds(or a tacky cd/dvd stand) look messy & juvenile like a college dorm room. Books arranged vertically & horizontally, small art, picture frames & a few nick nacks look great in open shelving.
August 20, 2013 at 11:31PM     
frustrated_designer
americandreamdyn, thank you for your comment. The open hutch that you saw was just there but will be removed once a console attached to the wall is built for the CDs DVD players and speakers.
August 21, 2013 at 12:09AM   
nikinoks
Agree that is nice
August 21, 2013 at 12:41AM   
Yunfu HuanJian Stone Ltd.
In order to make good use the material existing materials in the room. I would like to suggest make a TV wall in the color tone similar or in harmonious with the furniture color. In a room, it is better to have three color tones so as to combine a harmonious looking and match each other.

In the pictures, there are two color tones, which are the brown for the furniture and the white or beige for the wall and the floor.

I would like to suggest make a brown TV wall, it can be a stone TV wall or a panel in wood or any material in brown. Main purse of the TV wall is to match the color of the brown furniture, and hide the wire of the TV and not be seen.

For the rest of the wall, it can be decorate with beige or white color stone, which can be matched with the color of the floor.

Finally, the table under the TV can be decorated with one or two small plants or decorated stuff.
August 21, 2013 at 12:49AM     
karemore55
I don't think the stone wall will accomplish what you are hoping it will. Your space doesn't appear to be very big and you have a lot of other things going on such as the coved ceiling in dining room area and what appears to be a railing up above that niche with the pot light. If you are on a tight budget, your money could be better spent just working with what you have and making it all work for you. Rather than stone veneer on that wall, a large wall unit (not built in) that can hold your TV and provide storage would suit your space better. Rather than the bench (which btw is very pretty and unique), a sofa with chaise facing the TV wall would be more functional and look better. In a smaller space like yours, it is better to define the function of each area with the rugs, furniture and things that demonstrate their purpose. Looking at that niche with the pot light, I wonder if a nice piece of vertical artwork would give that little area it's "purpose". That was probably the original intent of the feature. And beside it where there is another cantilever for the window, drapes that fill in the full width and height of that niche will look fantastic. So, as I say, maybe embrace what you have and just work with it!
August 21, 2013 at 12:55AM     
frustrated_designer
Karemore55, I was thinking of repainting the wall under the pot light with beige and put glass shelves, or a rack for display.
August 21, 2013 at 1:15AM     
karemore55
Yes, I think that is exactly the kind of thing that niche was designed for.
August 21, 2013 at 1:30AM     
ErthCOVERINGS
best stone veneers on the market are by ErthCOVERINGS. Many colours and styles to choose from. www.erthcoverings.com the stone can help with the TV and add some dimension and interest to the walls
August 21, 2013 at 6:52AM     
Need help choosing wall paper color and design in my living room
I have a big living room in French classic style with...
Need help with design of living room tv wall =) Thank you!
The photo is from the model home and has all the built-in...
Need help to design living room wall
I request you to help me to design my living room wall...
Need help designing my kitchen and living room area and paint wall?
im currently remodeling my kitchen (open plan) my sofa's...
How to create barrier while keeping view intact?
We just moved into 13 ft of bay front, to the left...
Need help with wall color
I need some help for accent wall in the living room...
Bathroom renovation for practicality and growing family
We just stripped our second bathroom and are figuring...
c v
Suggestions for this eye sore.
This fire place stone sticks out about 8" from the...
Close to pulling all my hair out. HELP PLEASE!
I'm not sure which countertop to go with between two...