Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tambra_reap

Help! Hate these cabinets but can't afford to replace at this point

Tambra Reap
10 years ago
Any thoughts on how to make this kitchen more palatable until I can replace the cabinets? Can't paint them because of the type of material. Definitely removing the dated wallpaper and repainting....my style is trying to get to sort of a Craftsman/Mission look eventually

Comments (52)

• Geneviève
    10 years ago
    Remove the paper , paint the trims of the cabinets, change knobs and you are done.
  • User
    10 years ago
    If that is real wood, I might try to stain it a darker richer color so it's not so orange. And change the pulls as suggested above. I wasn't finding a pic of exactly what I am envisioning, but something along the lines of these photos and a reverse effect of the ideabook kitchen.
    Christoffersen · More Info

https://www.houzz.com/magazine/kitchen-of-the-week-practical-budget-friendly-beauty-in-dallas-stsetivw-vs~8192302
  • 217happy1 L
    10 years ago
    I moved into a ranch style home in 1996. We bought this to down size and loved the view on a hill top. My cabinets were ugly brown. So I purchased KILZ a primer. Gave 2 coats and than purchased a high epoxy paint and gave 2 coats. I used a very small roller and dk blue for counters and a high white for cabinets, They turned out beautiful. I got rave reviews. Than when I had the budget I put on current updates of just the doors and hardware. It was risky but a cheap fix. I don't have pictures because its a tif file.
  • 217happy1 L
    10 years ago
    I don't know if this works but I tried. These colors were used in 1996 so you have many choices now.
    Tambra Reap thanked 217happy1 L
  • Geneviève
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    also add a new back splash

Glass & Marble Backsplash · More Info

Atlas Homewares Polished Gold U-Turn Cabinet Knob · More Info
  • Tambra Reap
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    thank you all...I hadn't thought of redoing the trim, only the white parts, but hmmmmm. I plan to tile behind the stove area, so i like the backsplash idea. I was told that repainting the melamine would not hold up much more than maybe a year as the paint will start to peel. has anyone had any experience with painting melamine?
  • Geneviève
    10 years ago
    I think that by just painting the trim in the same colour would suffice but if you intend to paint the whole thing here is your answer

http://homerenovations.about.com/b/2009/04/18/painting-kitchen-cabinetsor-painting-melamine.htm
    Tambra Reap thanked Geneviève
  • PRO
    User
    10 years ago
    On the back of one of the cabinet doors clean lightly sand, then prime a small area with XIM pigmented primer. Paint over the primer then after 48 hours try scratch it off a key. If it does not scratch off you can paint the cabinets.
  • Tambra Reap
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    In researching the above answers, pretty sure the cabinets are "Thermafoil". Does that make any difference in your suggestions of painting?
  • Tambra Reap
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    of course, this would be my dream look
    Craftsman Inspired Kitchen · More Info
  • Tambra Reap
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thank you MSColours, I will try that.
  • groveraxle
    10 years ago
    Paint the face frames to match the doors. Replace pulls with satin nickel. Paint wall and backsplash a neutral color in a medium tone. I wouldn't do anything else if you eventually intend to replace the kitchen.
    Tambra Reap thanked groveraxle
  • PRO
    Sustainable Dwellings
    10 years ago
    You are not gonna get Craftsman until you gut this kitchen, or buy a new house. What you can do is remove the paper, paint, put nice backsplash up, get a nice runner *rug, and make the very best of what you do have. Nothing is wrong with it... they look like Merrilat cabinets from about 20 years back, but they are probably functional... OR, you can get new Craftsman or Mission style doors for these cabinets.
  • Marilyn Wilkie
    10 years ago
    I like groveraxel's idea up there. Or change out the doors.....

http://www.scherrs.com/cabinets/doors.htm
  • Donna Harrison
    10 years ago
    take it from me you can paint ANYTHING.....cupboards, tiles, benchtops... just need the correct primer.... another reasonably inexpensive makeover is to cover everything including cupboard fronts with pressed tin panels..... which you just glue over existing surface. we used on our splashbacks and they look great...
  • PRO
    Coda Design + Build
    10 years ago
    We would suggest painting the cabinets. We had to match existing cabinets with new ones, and the existing had faded in a short time. For a mission style a darker, cherry color would be most appropriate with satin nickel hardware and pulls. You can also add a simple trim crown detail to soften the soffit above the upper cabinets. Attached is a photo of the cabinets we had to paint.
    Tambra Reap thanked Coda Design + Build
  • PRO
    sstarr93
    10 years ago
    This was a Photoshop accident, but I liked it. Not very close to Craftsman tho.
  • PRO
    Staged for Perfection
    10 years ago
    Amy Howard makes a paint the you can paint on formica so I imagine you can use it on these cabinets. It is the one step paint. It comes in soo many colors
  • qam999
    10 years ago
    People do paint these.......just make sure to use the right prep and paint.

I do hate the melamine and oak handle look, I once owned such a kitchen and I just %^$#* hated it. Didn't even look good back in 1983 and has been getting uglier by the year. But paint will make a world of difference.
  • PRO
    Sustainable Dwellings
    10 years ago
    Paint them, or change doors if you want a change, look around the rest of the house to make certain you are not letting the horse run away with the cart here... sometimes, when you improve one room, it makes the rest of the house intolerable to live in... good luck to you. In any case, your kitchen is still functional and clean.
  • megherardi
    10 years ago
    Paint the cabs and the wood trim the same off-white, and change the pulls. I would remove the border at the ceiling level, as it looks dated.
  • Tambra Reap
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thank you all, GREAT comments. I can't afford door replacements at this point, paint is the way to go. I realize it won't be craftsman but I can definitely update it
  • Tambra Reap
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Coda Design: could you give me more specifics on the type of paint and primer you used? thanks
  • PRO
    Business_Name_Placeholder
    10 years ago
    Paint brown trim to match doors Or all if possible. Remove wallpaper above cabs-paint and add crown molding. Tile backsplash. Change all hardware and paint countertops... You can paint cabs and countertops with this product http://rustoleumtransformations.com/
    Tambra Reap thanked Business_Name_Placeholder
  • PRO
    Coda Design + Build
    10 years ago
    The technique is as critical as the paint. We sanded, primed and sprayed the cabinet fronts with a Prather lacquer paint and primer. Glad to assist - best of luck.
    Tambra Reap thanked Coda Design + Build
  • myriamojazz
    10 years ago
    Hi. If the cabinets interior are good and they're standard size you can change the doors and the pulls to better fit your taste. If there are sections among the lower cabinetry that are not standard size, you could use something different there. I used bricks as an accent in my own kitchen -on the island sides- and looks very nice. When you get rid of the wallpaper everything will inmediately change, you'll see. Could be that changing only the pulls and the trims will do. Good luck!
  • User
    10 years ago
    Rustoleum Cabinet Transformations paint kits will work on melamine. Go to their website and check the photo gallery from customers around May 21 of this year. There's a pic of these types of cabinets redone. Probably more pics if you scroll back through. I used it on old bath and laundry room cabinets and was very happy with results.
  • cindyeeson
    10 years ago
    There is a special primer just for Melamine which we used years ago to repaint the built in furniture of my daughter's room when she outgrew the original pink color. The furniture painted included her bathroom vanity, desk surface , and bookshelves with beds on top where the shelves were also used to climb up to the beds.So it got pretty heavy use but still looked great 5 years later when we sold the house.
  • PRO
    User
    10 years ago
    The primer XIM will stick to tile, glass, and just about anything
  • Tambra Reap
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks all, I've been investigating both XIM and the rustoleum product, and REALLY like the Coda design project with Prather paint (Coda: color name if you remember?) I think I will bite the bullet and sand, prime and paint all the doors and stiles...you guys are the BEST. Wait til you see the bathroom!!!!!
  • PRO
    Sustainable Dwellings
    10 years ago
    I also think that after you remove all the wall paper and paint the walls, you may be surprised at how clean your cabinets may look... throw some tile backsplash up, get a nice rug, a new light, and save your $$$ for your next/ dream house kitchen..
    Tambra Reap thanked Sustainable Dwellings
  • nancy lindsay
    10 years ago
    I had the same kitchen-trust me- I tried everything to make it look better-lived with it for 10 years and just did American Wood Reface. They installed the quartz countertops first-which showed me it only make old cabinets look worse. I would save my money and wait till you can do something with them.
  • Stacie Wilcox
    10 years ago
    i believe general finishes gel stains work on melamine. Check them out, they may have a shade that you like. Def would paint or gel stain them! and the wall paper/border...dear lord...
  • User
    10 years ago
    Also, if after you paint you want to update the countertops on the cheap, check out Little Green Notebook. Jenny did a recent post on a easy concrete countertop product that is slathered on rather than cast and it was really inexpensive. She also had a link to a couple that really knew the product and colored their so it looked like soapstone. Either with light cabinets, or a painted wood look, your kitchen could look great. Just head house2514's comment not to sink $$$$ into a temporary solution.
    Tambra Reap thanked User
  • brickln
    10 years ago
    It's hard to get a craftsman look with light cabinets. I would just paint the oak, paint or switch out the hardware and live with it. Bring a door to the paint shop for an exact match. Get new laminate counters- don't spend $$ if you're going for a remodel later.
    A wide arts & crafts border at the soffit might fulfill a little of that craftsman dream!
    You might also try gluing some molding to the melamine to break it up.
    At least you have a beautiful floor!

tropical craftsman · More Info

Wallingford Farmhouse · More Info
  • Michelle
    10 years ago
    I have a 50's house small kitchen with 4 doors on bottom cabinets, they get dirty all the time from the dogs (cabinets are white) so I found some nice contact paper and reface with that and new hardware, looks amazing.
  • PRO
    Destin4 Interiors LLC
    10 years ago
    Paint the stained wood for sure and loose the wallpaper. You can sand the melamine prime and paint. If you add a simple flat trim to frame out the doors first they can look like the shaker style and updated hardware. Laminate countertops have come a long way many look like granite and are hard to tell unless you touch them. Please post after pics
    Tambra Reap thanked Destin4 Interiors LLC
  • Tambra Reap
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thank you all, I will post pictures as they come along, though it will be awhile. I've taken down all the wallpaper and it is better already. I'm going to paint the cabinets all one color, neutral, and change out the hardware...
  • Tambra Reap
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    So I've painted the walls and added hardware and new plate covers. What should I do for the countertop?
  • brickln
    10 years ago
    There's a company called panyl that sells vinyl overlay for cabinets. They specialize in Ikea remakes, but it can be cut to size. I still say laminate counters if you're on a budget- many style options. New hardware looks great!
  • nmshea
    10 years ago
    I would do a zebra wood backsplash and upper wall, or a zebra wood countertop.
  • Tambra Reap
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    nmshea, like the idea of a wood countertop (altho not sure around the sink?) I plan to tile the backsplash...
  • Tambra Reap
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    brickn, I'll check out "Panyl"!
  • littlemy17
    10 years ago
    Tambra, I just saw your post and I know that I'm late to the party here, but you CAN actually get your mission look out of these cabinets! Just add batten strips of moulding (say 1/3" x 2-3" wide) to the face of your cabinets and the end pieces in your mission-style pattern with short brad nails or a glue product called "No More Nails". Caulk them in and paint. Voila. Mission style. My two cents; I would then paint them a dark espresso brown color (no sense in trying to mimic the varigated, amberish orange varigated wood), and use a backsplash tile that had lots of brown marble/ceramic and amberish orangey glass pieces in them to really get that mission feel. For countertops, I have wood (Numerar from Ikea--cheap and great) and I LOVE them! You can even stain them the orangey wood color to further pick up the amberish-orangey wood, and the amberish-orangey glass in the backsplash and it will give you what you want at a low pricepoint. Add a mission-style fixure, and you're done. If the cabinets are in good enough shape, you may even have a long-term winner here! Good luck.
  • littlemy17
    10 years ago
    Forgot to mention...the batten strips are flat, square-edged stips of moulding sold in the moulding aisle at Home Depot or Lowe's. :)
  • Tambra Reap
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    littlemy17...great ideas! this is a slow project for me as I can do things only every few months, but the aggregate of ideas here will make it super!
  • ideas90
    9 years ago
    Tambra,
    You may be interested in this link on how to update your cabinet doors-
    http://www.thediygirl.com/shaker-kitchen-cabinet-update-before-after/

I am also wanting to do a kitchen update without spending a lot.
    I'm considering changing the cabinet doors and refinishing the boxes. I want to change the counter tops & back splash. I may need to change the floor as well.
    We haven't moved in yet, so the pictures are the previous owner's furniture etc.
  • zanne4848
    9 years ago
    Check out Breakthrough Paint. It's used by painting contractors, especially for kitchens.
  • rcis719
    9 years ago

Kitchen remodels of by any scale, other than simply painting the walls is always expensive, however, maybe instead of paying for all new cabinets, you can either, 1) just have the existing cupboards refaced, or 2) look for gently used cupboards like on Craigslist.

• raineycarole
    9 years ago
    Old post.