Looking for soft "greige" for our new build
dsrtexas29
I think I need a greige to help tone down reddish/rose undertones in the flooring that is being installed now. However the first greige I chose, when I painted a swatch on the wall, looked pinkish!!! Can't use anything with rose or pink undertones. Need some "sandy" or slightly khaki or greenish undertone greige or gray for the lighting I have. The store paper swatch didn't look like the actual paint when I applied it. Any suggestions? The space in the picture will be the kitchen/dining which moves left of the pic into the living room without any arch, molding or anything except short wall. Thanks!
The floor is still being worked on and has some dust on it! Sorry for some reason the picture did not orient correctly even though I rotated it properly.
The only way to find paint for your room is buy samples and put on walls. Do not go by paint chips. Never look the same in your light. The grays will be nice. Benjamin Moore n Sherwin Williams have some nice ones. Don't be afraid to go dark.
August 15, 2013 at 4:37pm   
dsrtexas29
Thanks for your response. I have tried maybe 10 colors and spent some money doing it! Everything I try in the space looks different than the swatches which leaves me stumped as to which swatches to go to now with the undertones that will look right in the space. I've got a Balboa Gray in BM that looks ok and does not have undertones of pink. Any suggestions on color? When I pull up popular colors on Houzz, even the computer beiges look pinkish. Not sure what causes this...
August 15, 2013 at 4:42pm   
lesliemahler
Balboa Mist is a great color, especially if you have a dark or north facing room and need to lighten things up. Have you tried BM Revere Pewter? Used it in my previous and current house. Nothing pinkish about it. Remember, when you actually have furniture and rugs it could help tone down the pinks. Good luck!
August 15, 2013 at 5:24pm     
HI -- Yes go with BM's Revere Pewter -- it goes with everything in the way of furnishings and it looks great .
August 15, 2013 at 5:28pm   
dsrtexas29
Thanks! Have been hearing alot about Revere Pewter. I should have some sample paint mixed and give it a try. hopefully it doesn't have rose, lavender or mauve undertones. I did find one green paint that I'm in love with too and it seems to be working nice in the kitchen/dining on the swatch I've painted on the wall, in all lights, all times of the day - BM Dune Grass, really pretty. Just didn't know if I wanted to carry that color in through to the living space since it's all connected. But maybe it wouldn't be too bad....
August 15, 2013 at 5:41pm   
sarahmk
try the Benjamin Moore website, they have section called where they feature Designers' Top Colors. Candice Olson from HGTV does a great job with neutrals on the walls and with mixing warm, cool and neutral tones together. http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/for-your-home/candice-olson
And yes, Revere Pewter is one of her favorites! Good luck!
August 15, 2013 at 5:51pm   
0825sam
Hopefully the revere pewter will work - If not maybe something in this ideabook.
I have used Pittsburg paints moth gray and it does not have any undertones that I can detect in my lighting.

August 15, 2013 at 6:04pm   
dsrtexas29
Thanks everyone! I now have some more homework to do. :)
August 15, 2013 at 6:08pm   
sstarr
Here are some swatches applied to your pic (mouseover to see):
Left to right, all Benjamin Moore: CC-518, HC-87, HC-108,2108-60, TH-270
Cheers!
August 15, 2013 at 6:19pm   
Your floor shouldn’t dictate your wall color. It is simply a backdrop for the rest of the room. What is going on the floor? Rug? That’s is the important consideration.
Diamond Sisal Rug
Poeme Rodez Grey Rug, 8'x11' Tibetan Rug
Wool and Knots inventory 2013 Tibetan rugs
August 15, 2013 at 6:24pm   
dsrtexas29
Love the Diamond Sisal Rug! Thank you.
August 15, 2013 at 6:45pm   
Help need advice for crown molding not butting up to kitchen cabinets
Hi I just had some crown molding installed and my contractor...
Help us tone down natural oak color of cabinets by painting walls.
Our new home has very yellow looking oak cabinets in...
Cost effective soffit material?
Cost effective solutions for a soffit on a modern home?...
Need help with master bath design/layout
Master bath is 18' 8" x 10' 4" if I take one of the...
Landscaping Old Above Ground Pool Area
Hi Houzzers! Our backyard in Canberra Australia needs...