Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
candigirl

candigirl
12 years ago
The window looks funny with only one shutter. :/ It would look better if the shutter was left out. Maybe you can use a decorative molding around the window.
Urban Landscape Design & Construction · More Info

Comments (7)

• PRO
    AMS Landscape Design Studios, Inc.
    12 years ago
    Yes, I can see what you mean... The fixture on the house casts enough light to clearly the one shutter on the right. However, the house actually does have another shutter on the left (which is in the shadow, but perhaps you can make the outline out since it is a brick facade).

Attached is a simple day time photo of the bougainvillea and cypress that are right next to the that left shutter (just f.y.i.)...

Good eye to notice such details within an evening photo!

• candigirl
    Original Author
    12 years ago
    Thanks for your reply, Amsdrew. I didn't notice the first floor window. I could actually see the shutters in the picture. I was referring to the second floor window, as it is much more noticable. What ideas do you have that would remedy that window?

Have a nice day!
  • PRO
    AMS Landscape Design Studios, Inc.
    12 years ago
    Oh....! I am so sorry. I must have had 'tunnel vision' thinking about the landscape, entry walk etc. etc. Not very bright of me...

Well regarding the window, I do think it looks quite plain and uninteresting overall. They probably did not mirror the shutter due to the iron detail's location. The hard part about 'dressing up' that window, is that you would then apply that same design to all other windows in a similar circumstance, which were a lot on that home.

I agree with you, in that such decorative features (aka 'dressing') such as a 'distressed' precast surround detail or a brick sill accent (to match other bricks etc), would have been a better choice... than nothing.

My apologies for the mistake. Thank you for kindness in pointing out my error.

Just f.y.i., I have attached an image of the upper window, zoomed in somewhat, and lighted a little so it is easier to see the window in question.
  • bepsf
    12 years ago
    I like the single shutter - it gives the house character...
    ...and two thin shutters might appear goofy on such a narrow window - whereas the composition of the window and single shutter balance well within the space between the ironwork.
  • amackinney
    12 years ago
    I agree about liking the single shutter. Originally shutters were meant to cover the window in the event of a storm. Therefore the shutters or shutter was to be the width of the window. Shutters have since become a decorative item and therefore that probably explains this single shutter.
  • veryvicki16
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    Absolutely agree with amackinney! The single, FUNCTIONAL shutter is very common in Italy, which makes its representation here authentic to true Italian/Tuscan style.