Natural cedar shingles a good idea away from the ocean?
sophiejones1
We have a 1920s suburban home that needs to be reshingled. We love the look of Cape Cod natural gray shingles but someone told me that only happens because of the salt air. Is that true & what is the maintenance needed for white cedar shingles? How long do they last?
SawHorse Design + Build
Cedar shingles do look lice, but do require maintenance as would any wood applied to the exterior. If you like the weathered look, you can get stains that are grey to give it that affect. Any wood applied to the exterior should be sealed on all sides before installation to prevent water damage on the backside and would help prevent the warping as well.

If it is maintained, then it will last longer. If not- expect to replace it within 20 years or less, depending on your climate zone.
1 Like   August 16, 2013 at 7:19AM
HI -- Sawhorse said it all -- cedar shingles that are not protected can turn black over time in certain climates . And they rot faster . Cedar shingles that are well maintained can last for generations .
1 Like   August 16, 2013 at 7:36AM
sophiejones1
Thank you, Sawhorse & Lefty! So as long as I get the cedar singles pre-dipped then it could last 15-20 years without retreating it, right? It seems like a better solution than residing & painting because we'd have to paint again in 5 or 6 years. Plus I love that Cape Cod look.
0 Likes   August 16, 2013 at 7:56AM
HI -- sophiejones 1 -- Check into Hardy board sidings -- they have a product that looks like shingles but has a much longer life .Jameshardie.com
0 Likes   August 16, 2013 at 9:32AM
Rockin' Fine Finish
Pre dipped maybe ten years before new application
0 Likes   August 16, 2013 at 10:22PM
sophiejones1
Thank you, Rockin' Fine. Ten years seems reasonable.
1 Like   August 17, 2013 at 3:31AM
SawHorse Design + Build
For any type of wood siding, considering installing a rain screen first. This allow moisture to evaporate and not get trapped in the shingle. This along with pre-dipping them, priming the cuts and regular maintenance will extend the life. If that does not sound feasible, then consider a fiber cement shingle. Does not look exactly like cedar, but will last over 50 years with little maintenance.

Here is a good forum discussion on rain screens- http://www.greenbuildingadvisor.com/community/forum/energy-efficiency-and-durability/23291/rainscreen-behind-cedar-shingles

This is my preferred brand for fiber cement- http://www.nichiha.com/gallery/product-type/NichiShake
0 Likes   August 17, 2013 at 8:04AM
Minwax Espresso oil-based stain for hardwood floors
Has anyone tried the new Minwax Espresso stain for...
Tile size
I HATE the current ceramic tile in my hallway and am...
Need help to finish my dining room
I would like some advise on new lightning, window treatments,...
Exterior paint and curb appeal help - Would like a more updated look
Hi All, Need some suggestions or pointers for exterior...
Granite install issues!!
Our contractor told us there would not be a seam in...