Help with sofa color and layout!
julieka68
If I leave the light yellow walls, what color sofa? If I change the color of the walls to taupe/beige, same question! And and help with layout of the furniture would help too! Thanks for any advice!!
apurvaa
The ultra modern beige leather sofa set would compliment the living space.
1 Like    Bookmark   August 16, 2013 at 7:24AM
abbyjean
I can see light gray working with either color. You will most likely want a rug in this huge area to ground the furniture. The rug can add the pattern to the room. I see the couch floating in the room across from the fireplace.
3 Likes    Bookmark   August 16, 2013 at 7:30AM
julieka68
Thanks ladies! I forgot to mention I have a dog...so I'll more likely have to get something darker with microfiber fabric I'm guessing . I was thinking charcoal grey or the brown family! Can't float I don't think because I will only have wall outlets! What do you think about changing the wall color to more beige or taupe?
    Bookmark   August 16, 2013 at 9:25AM
julieka68
And the picture makes the space look larger than it actually is unfortunately ..
    Bookmark   August 16, 2013 at 9:26AM
abbyjean
Charcoal gray sounds good for a dog!!! BUT I do have to admit that brown is always a favorite of mine!!! Is the paint now a REAL yellow? Is it in good condition as it does not look like an awful color to work with. It just seems like a couch would be so far from the tv, but if the size is off, guess there is no choice other than to have it by the wall.
1 Like    Bookmark   August 16, 2013 at 11:13AM
With a dog go leather and not brown. I like your wall color looks latte. Easy to work with. Do a sectional in a cream. Do you recessed lights? Or a fan in ceiling? If a fan or box for lights it would best to add trac lights. Ikea has some nice ones in brush nickel. Easy to install. That way you can float furn. Which this room cries for. Float a 3 seater with chaise or L shape. Face to firepl. Add a 8 x10 area rug 8" from front of sofa. A big 36" square coffee table. Is a TV going in here? Need more infor on use of room.
1 Like    Bookmark   August 16, 2013 at 11:24AM
Lynne Mysliwiec
Grey and yellow are a wonderfully contemporary color combination. When it comes to layout, can we assume that the pendant fixture should be over a dining table? What do you like best? Traditional? Modern?
1 Like    Bookmark   August 16, 2013 at 11:27AM
purehome
What a gorgeous space! We think a transitional style sofa with a chaise lounge coming off of the side, and maybe a separate decorative side chair. Something like these?
http://bit.ly/14SDiwG
1 Like    Bookmark   August 16, 2013 at 11:33AM
You could float looking at wall to right in first pic. Do build ins for TV pm long media add lights to it. I see you have some can lights. Good. Where chandelier is, is that a dining area? Still get the big sectional a chairs but make chairs low back barrel type that swivel. Add so they look at sofa but could turned to see TV. On wall dirty behind sofa add a very long 7 ft chest. Something unusual, in a color like red. Add tall candlestick. And books to top over it a very large 6 ft long mirror in silver or black frame. Add panels to ends of windows only. Do black and cream chevron print. Big art 40" or bigger to other walls contemporary in bold colors. Over fireplace art big. You have high ceilings can use big furn and art. Nothing small in this room. In dining area dark with tall back leather chairs Pier One has them. Z Galleries for art. West elm for panels and rugs.
1 Like    Bookmark   August 16, 2013 at 11:35AM
1 Like    Bookmark   August 16, 2013 at 11:36AM
Irmani Smallwood
In the L shape to the right of the fireplace, I'd create a cosy dining space, probably with a circular table. A long sofa at right angles to the fireplace facing towards your dining area, facing a couple of easy chairs. I'd anchor both spaces with separate rugs. It's a beautiful space.
1 Like    Bookmark   August 16, 2013 at 11:37AM
Bit.ly nice sec but way too small for this room. I think contemporary. But up to owner.
1 Like    Bookmark   August 16, 2013 at 11:38AM
How about butterscotch leather? When I look at your room I see the ceiling fixture and I like that color with your walls. Add more of it.Sorensen Leather Sofa

Probably best to leave space by the slider. How about two sofas, one facing the fireplace and one coming off the window, still getting the L feel of a sectional, but not closing the space off. Then just a smaller arm chair to the left of the fireplace…something interesting and a little out of the ordinary?
Haute House - Peacock Chair
1 Like    Bookmark   August 16, 2013 at 11:39AM
Above meant right behind sofa. Not dirty. Auto correct is killing me.
1 Like    Bookmark   August 16, 2013 at 11:40AM
hollywaterfall
If you go up above here in Houzz and click on browse rooms and select living room>sofas. You will find quite a few things that might feel right in your space.
1 Like    Bookmark   August 16, 2013 at 12:32PM
julieka68
The walls are a light yellow....not as yellow as the one picture! And these photos are from the real estate listing....so they make the room look much bigger than it is unfortunately. The dining room area is where the chandelier/fixture is....that is only about 12 x 11 and the wall with the fireplace is about 22 ft and the other two walls to the right are 15ft. I will most likely need to put the TV above the fireplace due to space (I'll have a mount that swivels). To be honest, I don't really know what my style is...first condo of my own! Don't really like modern though. Maybe transitional or slightly traditional? I like the look of pottery barn stuff! But I can tell you I want to create a warm, cozy, inviting place. And I want a really comfy sofa! No leather....not a leather girl...and no beige type colors due to the dog! my dog barely sheds but his feet can get dirty! Does that info help?
    Bookmark   August 16, 2013 at 12:40PM
Lynne Mysliwiec
I love these folks -- one of the secrets of a longer, narrow room is picking a sofa that has the right scale -- sometimes two love seats beat one sofa by a bunch. I love Room and Board - they have lots of nicely scaled upholstered pieces that come in a range of lengths.

This one comes in 88" and 68" lengths http://www.roomandboard.com/rnb/product/detail.do?productGroup=3155&catalog=filter&menuCatalog=room&menuCategory=201&menuSubcategory=198

This one in 88", 75", and 65" http://www.roomandboard.com/rnb/product/detail.do?productGroup=19211&catalog=filter&menuCatalog=room&menuCategory=201&menuSubcategory=198
2 Likes    Bookmark   August 16, 2013 at 12:49PM
julieka68
And thank you for all the wonderful ideas so far!! Awesome!
    Bookmark   August 16, 2013 at 12:49PM
julieka68
I've decided I'm gonna paint the walls probably a taupe or beige color so it will be more versatile! Just need to find the right sofa and color!
    Bookmark   August 16, 2013 at 5:30PM
Taupe is a brownish gray. Beige is a yellowish brown.

Hardly compatible and not even close in tone if you are considering spending money on a sofa.

I suggest you begin again and find a rug you love. It is always best to start from the floor and go up.
Tibetan Velvet Straw Beige Rug
Desert Song 8' x 10' Taupe Rug

Huge difference. And neither is versatile because the undertones will influence everything you choose.

Most versatile, IMO, is BM Decorator’s White.
1 Like    Bookmark   August 16, 2013 at 6:11PM
hollywaterfall
I partially agree with judy. Taupe and beige are way different but I think the walls are where you should start because that is the biggest area of color and rugs are not really necessary. How about a chocolate brown color of sofa to hide wear and dirt.
1 Like    Bookmark   August 17, 2013 at 7:36AM
hollywaterfall
1 Like    Bookmark   August 17, 2013 at 7:44AM
Jen Gurvey
Adding window treatments - I like linen - a large sisal rug, mirror over fireplace and large tree in corner will help ground the space. I can even imagine a narrow consul table with contemporary table lamp living behind the sofa. Check out rejuvenation lighting or room and board?
1 Like    Bookmark   August 17, 2013 at 7:55AM
charliebeth
Restoration Hardware paints are gorgeous. Try their "Latte" color maybe for your walls. I've used it a bunch!
1 Like    Bookmark   August 17, 2013 at 7:57AM
julieka68
Ok...I'm so indecisive! I talked to a friend today and she suggested living with the walls for awhile. That way I can find pieces and things I like and THEN change the wall color at some point. So I think I'll do that for now and buy the sofa first. I need something to sit on!! Will look at greys and browns most likely. Maybe navy? I am going to likely get plantation shutters for the room! Thanks for all your great suggestions!!
    Bookmark   August 17, 2013 at 9:21AM
hollywaterfall
Good job Julie!
    Bookmark   August 17, 2013 at 1:23PM
julieka68
I saw this sofa today and LOVED it!!! I'm so scared to buy a red sofa though!! It's more of a brick red....thoughts?
1 Like    Bookmark   August 17, 2013 at 3:45PM
abbyjean
It has great style and think what fun you could have with RED in the room! AND it will look ok with the paint color, too.
2 Likes    Bookmark   August 17, 2013 at 3:52PM
Nancy Walton
I had a brick red sofa, and with the yellow walls you could go with a red and gold color scheme. I like the Indian tile fabric pillows with the solid pillows behind. Olive green can be your third color.
2 Likes    Bookmark   August 17, 2013 at 3:53PM
Nancy Walton
Some possible rugs
2 Likes    Bookmark   August 17, 2013 at 3:55PM
abbyjean
Oh, yeah, those bottom pillows are the ones you want!!! With olive green as another color, your space will be awesome!!!
1 Like    Bookmark   August 17, 2013 at 3:56PM
julieka68
I really like it! And even if I wanted to change my walls at some point to a kaki color it would go with that too! I love the look of pier 1 type of things...that Indonesian type of look! World Market kinda feel:)
1 Like    Bookmark   August 17, 2013 at 4:21PM
julieka68
Like that rug in the middle:)
1 Like    Bookmark   August 17, 2013 at 4:24PM
abbyjean
I agree......pier 1 and World Market have great looks to copy!! And good prices, too!
1 Like    Bookmark   August 17, 2013 at 4:25PM
jacquelinemk6
If you love it get it, I really love the red it would look great in your room. But I'm not an expert or interior designer...lol I would start with that sofa and go from there.
1 Like    Bookmark   August 17, 2013 at 5:17PM
hollywaterfall
Go for it! Like the others said it will be great. I would get those pillows too. Even if you pop some color out of the muted ones and throw a bit of turquoise in there it will be awesome. Great job!
1 Like    Bookmark   August 17, 2013 at 8:05PM
Need help how to place furniture in my living room, horrible layout
Looking for some ideas how to arrange furniture in...
halliday27
Sofa Layout
I am a first time owner and I am currently furnishing...
grelou
Layout suggestion for small open layout?
Ugh, I cannot come up with a layout that I like for...
jtroeder81
What new sofa/s and layout, and help with a big entrance wall!
Wonderfully enough, my parents have given me the green...
Vivian
Need Help with Great Room & Morning Room Furniture Layout & Colors
We are moving into a new house and have a great room...
Lynn Johnston
odd cabin kitchen layout..where do we eat??
Help! There is no room for a kitchen table and chairs....
stumpedinnc
Window treatment suggestions?
Hi Houzzers, should mention the eating area will be...
Melissa Felber
Bad interior paint job by a contractor
So about a month ago we had a contractor come and paint...
michelle_ekkert
King size headboards
Many headboards are sold separably. Are they easy to...
blackblack1
Should I just start over and buy new cabinets
A old Florida house with hand painted kitchen cabinets....
mxc6141