POLL: Dream backyard feature?
Houzz PollsAugust 16, 2013
If you could create your dream backyard, what is the #1 feature you would include?

Vote for your favorite backyard feature and COMMENT BELOW WITH HOW YOU USE YOUR OUTDOOR SPACE OR, LET US KNOW YOUR FAVORITE SUMMER ACTIVITY to be entered to win a pair of Houzz slippers sent right to your door!

*One entry per person, per drawing. Entries must be posted before 12:00am Pacific Time 8/25/13. One winner will be drawn at random.
Fire Pit
Built in Bar & Grill
Outdoor Shower
Swimming Pool
Hot Tub
Other - Tell us below!
sofauxy
My dream backyard would start with a deck tear down. That's how I found your site! We never put a patio below our deck (walk out basement) which is what we should have done first. And our 10 year old cedar deck has been a big PITA for about the past 8 years. We never mDe it big enough, just built what we could afford at the time. "Clear" sealer is really tinted (biggest mistake ever applying that!), so the stain chipped off, power washing mildew and chipped stain raises grain, which equals a sand job... ugh! It never ends. Thinking the patio area could also be enclosed as and used as a 3-season room off the basement. Ahhhh, to dream!

Another dream is a roof over the new deck because once noon hits the sun just glares overhead. And the way it moves umbrellas don't help by dinner (not to mention the amount of wind we get, umbrellas just get tossed overboard and broken). We can only enjoy morning coffee out there. We never use it for parties. :-( So I am currently researching the best materials even though I'm sure my dream of a new profile for the back of the house will never happen.

After a my husband had a stroke moving the kids play set to move to fire pit into a new place, the fire pit area is complete! It wasn't expensive and definitely not fancy, but it's perfect for us. we especially love using it the morning after we have a fire with friends to hang out and drink coffee. P.S. hubby is better now TG!

Would also LOVE a 25M lap pool (so my kids can be the next Ryan Lochte or Michael Phelps) and I think I have enough space to run it down the side of my property (off the deck/patio area, of course!). I'm betting the patio, deck, roof thing would having a better chance of actually happening one day, lol!

My husband cringes when I pull out the graph paper. :-)
2 Likes    Bookmark   August 17, 2013 at 7:28AM
debqp1957
It would have to be a beautifully landscaped patio area, with a portion covered to provide shade. Eclectic, with small bits of 'art'. Natural materials and plantings and comfortable & stylish (and colorfu!) seating. Ahhh, that would be heaven!
2 Likes    Bookmark   August 17, 2013 at 8:07AM
kveljkovic
The shower, the grill, the pit, in that order, thanks!
    Bookmark   August 17, 2013 at 8:25AM
pat563
Our yard is small but would love an outdoor kitchen. We set up the water, gas, and wiring when we put in our sod and poured our cement but have not been able to finish. The area to the right (with the bucket covering the wires and pipes) would be where we would like it. It would be a dream. Thanks!
2 Likes    Bookmark   August 17, 2013 at 8:32AM
Tess Gleason
Maybe I'm just more practical but pool upkeep is expensive; I also workout so I chose a hot tub. I'd even keep it above freezing in the winter and tepid in the summer months, but above all, it's water, like the pool, so very soothing.
2 Likes    Bookmark   August 17, 2013 at 9:12AM
nancyelb
Live on the water but prefer a swimming pool. Would have to be above ground but want it to look in ground
1 Like    Bookmark   August 17, 2013 at 9:20AM
swickbb
I am a nature lover and love to eat outdoors every minute possible during the short warm season in CT. Every night that it is possible my husband and I grill outdoors and eat on our outdoor dining table on the patio. We have a side deck that we just sit and read on while relaxing with a glass of wine. Therefore a combined Bar & Grill would be the perfect setup for us.
    Bookmark   August 17, 2013 at 10:47AM
lipierce
I'd like a pool, but we don't have the space. Someone I know is building a uv filtered pool...love to have that. We are in our yard every day gardening and/ or playing without daughter. We all love to be outside.
    Bookmark   August 17, 2013 at 11:03AM
ladybugk10
We have a pool but need the landscape & furniture around it.....so important to making it feel like a warm spot to hang out at.
    Bookmark   August 17, 2013 at 11:26AM
lconder
We love to cookout and dine outside. Having a permanent outdoor grill and bar would take the hassle out of moving the grill and smoker in and out of the garage. It would make entertaining a breeze!!
2 Likes    Bookmark   August 17, 2013 at 12:00PM
Debbie Zyla
Definitely the fire pit - love sitting around with friends and family and being mesmerized by the flames. Roasting marshmallows is a special treat.
    Bookmark   August 17, 2013 at 1:39PM
Victor Manuel Gutierrez
My dream come true would be a small waterfall and a Pond in steps to end on a dining Table to share good times and tales with my brothers and family together! it would remind me of the old Plazas and stone fountains with refreshing water in the colonial central State of Guanajuato Mexico where they all gather for some family time! I want to build a fireplace for the winter months ahead so I can warm up outside while I'm watching the beautiful sunset in my southwest desert New Mexico!
    Bookmark   August 17, 2013 at 2:33PM
Victor Manuel Gutierrez
Our backyard is paradise for our Little dogs or I should say a Jungle! I'm working on it to make it our favorite family gathering spot!
1 Like    Bookmark   August 17, 2013 at 2:37PM
nancyelb
Want swimming pool that looks like inground but has to be above ground.
    Bookmark   August 17, 2013 at 3:02PM
ponitayl
We have a 1955 ranch home in a rural town south of Tampa and live on the south side of the bay with a view of the water and community boat ramp. Our house is the 1st built in the neighborhood and was used as a model for the rest. We have an eclectic style of homes here, but the harmony is great and not the brow-beaten with look alike homes.
ANY-WHO, we have an old grass covered dis connected septic tank in the back yard that presents itself as a hill, that has never been removed, and I've always told my husband that if we could ever afford to remove the tank, it was an ideal space for a pool.
We are water people and in Florida, you can never get enough of that in our heat!
2 Likes    Bookmark   August 17, 2013 at 3:44PM
rachelaw619
ww are in the process of designing our backyard and I love the idea of family and friends gathered around a firepit, snuggled and sharing good times.
1 Like    Bookmark   August 17, 2013 at 8:07PM
carbary
We would love a outside kitchen with an ice maker and fridge.
    Bookmark   August 17, 2013 at 8:19PM
Holgan Land Surveying, PC
@Ponitayl: I posted some pix above of my pool. I've just totally renovated it, but it was originally installed in 1986. We also had an old cesspool in the way of where the pool would be that was removed by the tractor as they dug for the pool. I was told at the time that it was dangerous to have one in the yard that isn't being used, that it could collapse
    Bookmark   August 17, 2013 at 8:31PM
Teresa S-j
I'd love all of these things, but my vote is for the pool, since everything else can be built around that.
    Bookmark   August 17, 2013 at 8:57PM
justine7700
Other! A large private garden that I don't have to take care of. Oh, dreams!
1 Like    Bookmark   August 17, 2013 at 9:21PM
chelz0r
I would love to have a pool! As of right now though, we have bonfires in our fire pit.
1 Like    Bookmark   August 17, 2013 at 9:23PM
sitterh
There are so many Mosquitos in our backyard that we don't really get to enjoy it. I'd love to be able to sit out back and read, have a glass of wine, or have friends over in a comfortable, screened in space.
2 Likes    Bookmark   August 17, 2013 at 9:30PM
Renee
Pool and great landscaping.
1 Like    Bookmark   August 17, 2013 at 9:34PM
maggicoast
A deck made of epi wood, with a BBQ area and a large outdoor dining table. A patio cover to filter the sun, a fountain, landscaping that gives a natural whispy look.
Since we're dreaming, a small second deck outside the master b.r., a raised bed for herbs, even a lap pool and fire pit. Ahhh.
I already put in 3 patio sliders. I just need magic to make the barren backyard pretty & functional.
1 Like    Bookmark   August 17, 2013 at 9:36PM
primadonna007
Having a favorite outdoor activity depends a lot upon where you live. For example, as Floridians we don't have much use for an outdoor fire pit. We do however enjoy our swimming pool and can use it for most of the year. When our children were small, having their friends over for an afternoon swim was a favorite activity. Now when our grandchildren come over they too enjoy swimming in our pool on those hot, humid days. Hearing their giggles as they splash around is priceless. The adults also enjoy sitting around and in the pool with piña coladas in hand. Jumping in the pool after our daily walk or working out at the gym is the icing on the cake. Hands down, a swimming pool is a winner in our household.
1 Like    Bookmark   August 17, 2013 at 9:57PM
Monica Towns
A fire pit would be my pick because of the possibilities of bonding friendships and gathering around it with family and loved ones. Everyone loves camping out and gathering around the fire and hearth. And so many memories and good times happen around the fire. It says peace, relaxation, family, love and home. Definitely a fire pit.
    Bookmark   August 17, 2013 at 11:23PM
Christine Watts C.
I picked the fire pit--or rather a fireplace since I already have a portable fire pit that was last year's birthday gift from my sister--my entire yard is already a forest, complete with walking trails that I keep as free of debris as possible, and it's just lovely--so, my dream is to have a nice, stone, or brick fireplace so we can place comfortable seating near it, and sit out there and enjoy the Fall or Spring evenings--the fire pit is great, but having a real fireplace out there would be like icing on the beautiful forested landscape I've worked so hard to create, and make enjoying it all such a pleasure.:)
    Bookmark   August 17, 2013 at 11:34PM
mel_kle09
A hot tub would be amazing to have but I would have to go for a swimming pool. I've always wanted one as a kid and during the summer it's a nice luxury to have to cool off right in your backyard especially if you have nice stone work and a beautiful backyard to complement it!
    Bookmark   August 17, 2013 at 11:35PM
rawketgrl
Screen Porch hands down. We would really would like a bug free zone for evening activities outside.
3 Likes    Bookmark   August 17, 2013 at 11:48PM
Jason Shepard
It's a bit amazing to me how many people have so little respect for potable water and the threat of running out that we face that their main concern is a pool in their backyard that eats up thousands of gallons of otherwise usable water. Is anyone actually considering their impact on freshwater sources when thinking of installing a pool?
1 Like    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 12:01AM
awakenyourday
I would love a pool but it is too big for my yard so I would go with a swim spa......above all privacy!
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 12:49AM
designideas4me
I have a solar heated lap pool and its great. I call it a japoozi because its 100 degrees most of the time during the summer. I have not found it too be expensive as some have said. The chemicals are 30 bux a mth and the pool service is 50 bux. Also as far as using up fresh water, I only have to add maybe 4 inches a year to what is already inside. The pool pictured here has a hot tub so why choose just the hot tub picture? And the fire pit complements the pool and spa as does the outdoor shower and grill area. The focal point should be the pool with the other amenities situated around it. But I must agree that without SUN and PLANTS and ANIMALS and WIND and STARS there would be very limited enjoyment of the material man made features mentioned above. This is why a bathtub or kitchen grill inside or indoor shower or fireplace in the den are far less appealing. Without the elements of NATURE to surround you non of these features would create the magical emotions and sensations which they do, therefore I must vote for Mother Nature. Please send the sleppers to my door because my feet hurt...lol..thanks.
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 1:05AM
lizstick
Grilling with the family. Nothing beats that
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 2:01AM
Carol Price
We love spending time outside by our pool. The outdoor shower would be great to have but I think the outdoor grill and bar would be awesome! We keep buying BBQ grills and then have to replace the inside heating element, they wear out so quick! We have been talking about building a small enclosure near our side door and adding nice BBQ area. We have our kids and grandkids over all the time and would really benefit from this. Our pool is an above ground and we built a deck around it. We have stairs that lead up to the pool on each side of our house, so the outdoor grill and bar area would work great!
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 3:42AM
jeanwise
I would love a meditative water feature . . .after a long day teaching, I would love to sit in the back yard and have the suble sound of the water ease away the tension of the day!
1 Like    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 4:10AM
petechia
I would love to build a pool in the backyard. We have had pools in our properties over the past years but in our new home don't have a pool. Our home is very simple and we are doing major renovations to our seaside home. Due to financial pressures we are rebuilding our home form the grass roots. In the past our backyard pools have given the children much joy and entertainment. A pool represents great fun and family times.
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 4:11AM
marlenenice
We spent some time in Uruguay and Argentina where every home came with a built in parilla -- a wood barbecue. Nothing cooks better. Some houses even had a casita, a small house built around the. Barbecue for entertaining. Some had a special room built onto the house or apartment. What's normal in South America would be a true luxury for me in the US.
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 4:13AM
David Davison
I would definitely go for the outdoor shower. After a hard day working in the yard, there would nothing more relaxing than to clean the grime off. And being outside, I wouldn't be tracking dirt in the house and dirtying up the indoor shower.
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 4:21AM
yanashey
I definitely say a pool! NY summers can be brutally hot/humid. With little shade in my yard which is great for sunbathing but wonderful would it be laying poolside with a nice cool cocktail. Stay-cation anyone?
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 4:26AM
ohmich
Pool and Fire pit are the top two for me. Fire pit spans the seasons for sure, but a pool - what luxury - and good for relaxation, exercise, and even makes you feel good looking at it from inside the house.
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 4:31AM
sedeards
My dream is for a fire pit. Looking down over the river. Nothing more peaceful and renewing.
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 4:38AM
42 North Builders
I really like the fire pit. This is a wonderful place to gather at night. I've also seen some pits that have built in grills enabling them to become a cook top. Fire side dining...great outdoor entertaining.
1 Like    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 4:39AM
kdsmithrn
We have a pool. I would love an outdoor space to cook
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 4:39AM
hickenk
We are contemplating a pool, but the built in grill and bar, fire feature and water feature are interesting too. We recently covered our back porch and are ready for the next project.
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 4:45AM
sstefanko
A hot tub in my backyard would be perfect!!!!!!!
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 4:49AM
n247080
Fireplace with space to hold wood and a pizza oven surrounded by great landscaping and a covered airy stone patio
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 4:58AM
David Davison
We currently have a fire pit, but when added a new detached garage and patio combination, we created some water issues that we didn't have before. We are going to have to move and reconstruct the fire pit. I am hoping to use the water to my advantage with a multi-level pond where the water moves into a bog for filtration before moving through the system. Dang ambitious project, but hopefully it will turn out nicely.
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 4:59AM
Quickfoot
We're in Spain and in the process of reconstructing a Spanish casa de pueblo. We're lucky to have a small side lot in which to make an outdoor entertaining space. There is no party without good food so this is a must!
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 5:06AM
inkwitch
Not being much of an outdoor person (mosquitos, humidity, gnats), none of these things appeal to me. I'd prefer a screened (!) porch with a swing, ceiling fans, for most months of the year except the worst heat and worst cold.
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 5:07AM
ccroebuck
My choice would be a fire put by the lake we live on. We just lost out nephew who loved the water and fire pit would be a perfect area to go to enjoy and go back to memory lane.
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 5:14AM
kashkj
We have a great pool area that the outdoor grill area would go great with. Will be looking into adding that to our place. I love your site...lots of fab ideas. Thanks!
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 5:19AM
drcostin
A Tree House with a Day bed, electricity, water hookup, and a Water Feature. Love the sound of rushing water while reading high above the ground in the trees.. blissful tranquility and whimsical... Where The Faeries Live
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 5:27AM
Deb Cary
I love the idea of a fire pit. We live near the Canadian border and while we do have beautiful and very warm summers our springs and falls can get rather chilly. A fire pit could really extend the enjoyment of of our backyard beyond the normal current days of use. And it reminds me of my youth at camp.
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 5:29AM
sabine32080
Living in Florida and having a swimming pool, next thing is 'outdoor kitchen', meaning built in grill and some kind of a bar if you spend the majority of the time outside.
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 5:30AM
Suzanne Greenhalgh
Hot tub! Perfect solution to wanting a pool but the UK summers are too tumultuous and space is always at a premium. kids would have such fun in either a pool or hot tub so I will do anything to encourage my boys to get outside and play more.
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 5:31AM
lgran
I would love to add on to my existing patio, add a little build-in for my "green egg" grill and add tropical curb appeal to my back yard.
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 5:38AM
spavlak
The only thing that we are misssing is the built in bar and grill. That would complete our yard.
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 5:47AM
Dwight G
Love Swimming Pools....but I love the trees in the yard more! No pool without sacrificing a few...so the Bar & Grill would allow friends and family to enjoy the outdoors more without destroying a single precious tree.
2 Likes    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 5:49AM
Kim Horner
We live on a lake in Wisconsin. Every Friday and Saturday evening the air fills with the scent of wood smoke and the lakeshore is dotted with the glow from fire pits. The ultimate gathering place: surrounded by nature, warmed by the fire, friends, family, conversation, laughter and of course S'mores!
1 Like    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 5:55AM
CSI Catalog
That's how it's done.
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 6:11AM
Sandy Boardman
Tome with my fibromyalgia, is to go outside, set up the candles,, nice glasses of wine, with snacks, and good friends with also our firepit on, a few feet away from us, a nice hot tub would be the best addition to our backyard ambiance and for my body, aah! with a star studded evening.
1 Like    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 6:12AM
auntnancy
My yard isn't big enough for a swimming pool (darn!)...now, a Hot Tub would fit right in!
1 Like    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 6:13AM
fhondal
The outdoor BBQ/Kitchen to complement our pool/patio for entertaining family & friends .. Parties, football ghettys etc
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 6:15AM
Debbie Alves
Since moving from CA to NC, I miss having my in ground pool and red wood hot tub. A fire pit would make the atmosphere complete - and of course a fenced in yard for privacy. I have a 1/3 of an acre and it's too expensive to fence in right now.
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 6:19AM
kellydonlonhoy
Such wonderful choices, but the bar and grill would bring the most entertainment value for the maintenance we would need to do for the space. Other choices require too much upkeep. Unless of course, they come with the staff that maintains them . . .
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 6:22AM
Leane Clark
The backyard kitchen is my choice by far. We have an above ground pool that is continuously occupied and a jacuzzi that we don't use due to high electric bills to keep it running. , but my house is the gathering place for my family and that outdoor kitchen would be ideal. Our backyard is a hill sloping toward the house, so it would make great use of mostly unusable space.
1 Like    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 6:23AM
kbieste
I debated picking the swimming pool or built-in bar & grill. There's nothing better for our location than these two items, but at the stage of life my family is at safety is the most imperative thing to consider. I worry the most about keeping our small children safe with a pool even with a non-aesthetically pleasing surrounding gate. The bar & grill is good for time with family & friends at any time. And, if it can't be secured, you might have issues inside, too. Let the entertainment begin!!!! :)
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 6:26AM
rhazelip
Pool as the main focal and gathering point for the family for years to come!
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 6:27AM
faralibrizzi
Living in the Midwest, I would get the most use out of the fire pit. I would also love the built in bar and grill but wouldn't want to maintain it after harsh winters and we don't really have space for it. No pool or hot tub with my toddler running around, which means no need for the shower either.
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 6:31AM
keithan
Living in the tropics means it is hot year round so no matter the size a pool is the ultimate luxury! I have a small yard and I am still struggling to figure out how to fit one in and still keep the pets happy, keep the trees for shade and have some green space!
1 Like    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 6:32AM
debbieafi
We live in New Orleans, and love to hangout in our back yard. We are working on creating our own private resort . After Katrina, we put in a pool and enlarged our covered patio, which has a sitting and dining area, huge grill and a hot tub( which died this summer after 22 years) recently added a swing under our beautiful crepe myrtle trees. Next on our wish list is fire feature.
1 Like    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 6:35AM
hlboyd2004
An outdoor living space isn't complete without a place for people to come together. The built in bar & grill is beautiful, functional & brings people together. Love it! Love the swimming pool & fire pit as well.
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 6:37AM
Fairhaven Homes
What's better then entertaining on a nice summer evening? Outdoor kitchen hands down
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 6:38AM
Veronica Marquez
Definitely the pool! It will be like having our own resort all summer long. Mind you, it would have to be heated so we can extend our Montreal summers.
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 6:39AM
thors
Great food and my family are important to me so the BBQ is a must!
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 6:44AM
rnsupergirl
My husband loves to grill for us and he makes an awesome rib eye, but he is totally lacking in a great space to do it. He has been wanting to build his own outdoor kitchen, but any extra funds or time have been dedicated to others in our lives. The last five years he has been helping to take care of my mother who did of cancer, his step son who was diagnosed with cancer and my father who has a terminal illness and had to.move in with us. He gives everthing of himself and expects nothing in return. It would be awesome for him to have the outdoor kitchen of his dreams.
1 Like    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 6:47AM
Linda keys
We have large walnut tree's, hanging from it,I would love a large swing big enough to snugggle with the grandkids.
2 Likes    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 6:47AM
peterlcwu
My dream backyard is a circular shaped pavement with circular stone payments with a fire pit in the centre - a spot for meditation and relaxation.
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 6:51AM
kendramichelle
Our backyard is an empty slate, a swimming pool would be the beginning of my dream back yard. The sound of running water is so serene and the entertainment value of a swimming pool makes every party awesome!!
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 6:56AM
m3lake
I'd take anything, really... My back yard is a disaster! I got the house after being vacant for a year and a half and I have no clue where to start.
1 Like    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 6:58AM
spinkydoo
the outdoor grill bbq built in kitchen...now that would be a dream come true!!
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 7:05AM
charlottesavage
I'd have to say the bar and grill. We love eating outside as a family when the weather and lack of Mosquitos allows. Definitely need the built in Big Green Egg. We swear by it, but its an eyesore. It's so much fun to entertain friends and everyone be outside.
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 7:10AM
sivilla
I would love to have a spa in my back yard!! I'm disabled, and it was our dream when we retired to AZ that we would get one, however circumstances beyond our control, made this impossible. So now it's just a dream...it would be divine, to step into a spa, right outside my bathroom door (patio)....and get some much needed relief for my back...as I've gone thru 6 back/neck surgeries...to be able to soak in a spa would be heavenly!!
1 Like    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 7:12AM
marthapsan
I choose other. My childhood memories have always included a pond. I live in the country and pond with a dock would be my dream.
1 Like    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 7:13AM
Andrea Hanson
wow, really hard to pick just one! LIke the at&t commercial "I want more, I want more!" However, we just bought a fixer upper on the water, and have plans to fix up the outside too. A built in Bar and Grill is on the want list, and a new boat dock and deck. One of these years we'll get it done.
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 7:14AM
Pat
Tough decision, but I chose the hot tub for therapy. My twin and I (and many in our family) suffer from arthritis and I was diagnosed 1989, with Fibromyalgia. Warm water aquatics is the only way I can exercise, so the hot tub would be therapeutic for my muscles. Am now 70 years young and dealing with Fibromyalgia as long as I have, is a bummer, but I don't let it slow me down; the discomfort of aches and muscle cramps are par for the course, but the best "medicine" is to just keep moving! (I do NO drugs!) =)
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 7:18AM
whitebranchstudios
An outdoor shower is the ultimate summer experience! We live near Lake Michigan and coming up from the beach to an outdoor shower to cool off, refresh and de-sand has been my dream for years. My low cost solution is a hose buried under the front bed mulch and snaking down to the side door. I would actually use the shower for my everyday use. Living in the Midwest, I can't get enough of the outdoors in the summer!
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 7:20AM
Cheryl Thomas
Living in the desert where the temperatures are high for months, a pool is worth the time and expense. Because I am developing a desert landscape, there is no grass or other cooling features so a pool would be a welcome respite.
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 7:20AM
donnahan
I would love to have an outdoor brick pizza oven on my patio.
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 7:22AM
jjmeye17jr
Having a pool would be awesome. Having the kids, grandkids, and great-grandkids together for this enjoyment--would be a slice of heaven.
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 7:24AM
lesaradloff
I love any type of water features. Listening to the sound of water relaxes me after a long day
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 7:26AM
stacmonroe
we live in a secluded wooded area that I always thought would be great for a path down our hill that would lead to a fire pit. I see family/friends there at night sitting around enjoying making smores and having a good time. A water feature along the path sounds great also.
1 Like    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 7:30AM
nanciepancy
Would love a endless pool so we could get extra exercise. Especially in winter months when it's to cold to bike ride. We are 68 & 69 very young for us, but we would enclose the pool. Our yard is very short in depth so a narrow endless pool would be just perfect. We sit in our courtyard (I created) all Spring & Summer. Ideas came from Houzz. Thank you for that. We also added a small block patio for the table and chairs. Again from Houzz. Whether I win or not this is a good opportunity to thank you all for all the ideas you have given me for our home. Thank you
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 7:30AM
gigi425
We want a firepit, and I would love to add a water feature that has soothing water noise. We plan to put concrete "furniture" around the pit...so that it all can stay in the weather with no problem.
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 7:31AM
Trevor Taylor
Definitely a pool big enough to swim lapse and deep enough to dive. One wall of the pool would be glass shared with the home for amazing basement lighting. Also 20'+ deep pool will allow the temperature to stay more consistent. Free diving is a hobby that most pools are unable to quench.
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 7:32AM
dahart
Living in AZ with our four kids and the fact that we are always having people over, a fun backyard with a pool would be so amazing! I love to look through the HOUZZ pics for ideas for my dream pool.
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 7:34AM
jonatoria
The outdoor shower brings the pleasure of your own private waterfall, but retains the convenience and easy upkeep. Outdoor showers or a greener alternative to a pool and would be a breeze to maintain. You can create a interesting screen for privacy if you prefer, and even give the dogs a bath!
1 Like    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 7:35AM
Sheri Kondo
I just love the peacefulness of water in the backyard - but now that the children are adults, we'll downsize from the work of a pool to the lower maintenance of the Hot tub in our new backyard
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 7:40AM
safairb
My vote is for an outdoor built in bar and grill. I would love to have a functional outdoor dining/living space to enjoy. Currently, my backyard needs some work. I just bought my first house a year ago and haven't put much focus into the backyard yet.
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 7:42AM
Janet Greenwood
We moved into a 1955 house with an old pool. Spent a lot of time getting it modernized as much as possible and we love it! Great exercise and relaxing - I sleep so much better in the summer! We miss it on cold days and in the winter, so I voted for the hot tub!
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 7:43AM
Terri Russell
It would be a tree house for adults.
1 Like    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 7:44AM
fayeguinn
I have wanted a hot tub for more than 10 year's. When my sister had one, I got to use it on occasion. I have .spinal stenosis and sciatica and it is very painful. I wish all the time I had a hot tub to relieve the pain.
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 7:44AM
bumblebee728
A Treehouse! In a strong, majestic tree, with stairs made of rope and light but strong wood that could be pulled up after entering. Bird houses hanging on branches outside my 'windows'.
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 7:46AM
sawbren
I would like to have a swim spa. A natural filter system like ones I understand being built in Europe and Australia to keep it clean, no chemicals yet providing a natural habitat area. I live in a garden home in the Pacific Northwest so my reality would be a outside kitchen were I can do all my harvest canning and grilling. Maybe a covered area to keep out of the rain. Yup location location
1 Like    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 7:47AM
lavoila
firepit!
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 7:51AM
tammyjohnson02
I would definitely have a swimming pool... Some day before I'm in the ground... :-)
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 7:54AM
Specialty Air Inc.
I personally believe, a well-designed swimming pool isn't just a bunch of water. It can turn our backyard into an elegant outdoor oasis. We can add more beauty with waterfalls, vanishing edges and other unique amenities, a pool can serve as a relaxing and inviting centerpiece in your own backyard. So i would like to add pool in my backyard.
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 8:00AM
caraschmidt
I would love a small landscaped pool with a shower feature as part of it. To have it totally blend in with nature would be awesome.
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 8:02AM
nanciepancy
We would love a Endless swimming pool. We would enclose it. It's so cold up here in Wa. State we can't ride our bikes year around so this would give us extra exercise. We live in our back yard all Spring ,Summer and sometimes fall. Are grand kids live next door and would love a pool as well. We put up rings , hung from a pergola, and they love it. Our courtyard Is where we sit and talk or just read a book.nthank you for all the ideas you have given me to make this happen.
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 8:04AM
bears5440
It would have to be the bar and grill. We have the most awesome backyard that backs up to the forest preserve and we like to sit outside and watch the wildlife such as deers come in to the backyard.
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 8:04AM
msaringer
Having an outdoor shower reminds me of summer beach vacations as a kid: get that sand off before you come indoors!
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 8:07AM
jatta
We have had a swimming pool and it was great when kids were young but at our age now I would love beautiful landscaping with flowers and trees and just maybe an outdoor pizza and bread oven
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 8:11AM
Deb Otting
My whole patio needs a make over. We have a crack in the cement, but can't afford to do it now. There is always something else more important. I would love a stamped patio, 1/2 covered and a porch swing under it. We sit outside a lot so a nice cozy place to sit and enjoy the outdoors is all I want.
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 8:11AM
sdhamilt
I love the idea of a fire pit creating warmth to an evening in the yard! Our kids love to go camping. We quickly realized that what they really
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 8:12AM
segelnett
If I had to pick only one, I would go with the bar and grille. It seems that the fire pit would easily work with that though.
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 8:13AM
irishmom6x
I would like to build a flagstone patio i have been wanting since I moved here 14 years ago.....
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 8:16AM
Les Rainey
We love spending time outside and have created our paradise. The only thing we're missing now is the outdoor kitchen area which is next.
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 8:16AM
sdhamilt
I love the idea of a fire pit in the backyard! Our yard is traditionally used during the warmer months and only while the sun is up. Adding a fire pit would add an element of fun for the evening/night time and extend the use of the yard into colder months. And my kids' favorite reason for building a fire: roasting marshmallows!
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 8:20AM
Debra
My backyard is pretty poor at the moment but I'm putting together my ideas using this site. I've told so many friends and family about Houzz because it's helped my pinpoint exactly how I want my back garden to look. A swimming pool is something I've always dreamed of but, living in England, it's not the norm. However, I am looking into getting a hot-tub as a compromise. Thank you so much for the great photos you have on here and the Ideabooks. My back garden is finally going to become a reality!
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 8:29AM
moojuice4e
Showering outdoors is a fantasy come true, every single time. I just moved to an apartment with no outdoor space after 30 years owning single-family homes where I spent a great deal of time and love on gardening. One day I'll get back to at least a few pots on a balcony; probably never an outdoor shower in my own yard though.
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 8:35AM
Mavis Bounds
I would love an outdoor shower because my hubby is a cancer patient and the surgery took part of his male parts and left his leg stiff which causes him to have to take showers. Our shower is a tub shower. Tub is so hard to clean when he works in the yard. I have back and right leg pain making it constant, stooping and cleaning so much.
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 8:37AM
emuller39
I vote other. An outdoor living room, under a pergola for shade. A place to curl up and read. Sit and look at flowers and listen to birds and a small water feature like a brook. My dream backyard!
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 8:48AM
crclements
I would love to have all of the above, however food and wine are my favorite things so I'm going with the bar and grill. Eat, Drink and Be Merry!!!
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 8:48AM
Lindsey Pickens
I voted for the fire pit so when I have people over, I would always have a designated spot for a fire to drink our beer around. Always gotta have a fire when you're drinkin.

What I do with my outdoor space is raise some pigs, sheep and a couple cows. I live on a farm so I also have some fields. And my summer activity is drinkin.
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 8:48AM
jodi544
I love swimming pools and hot tubs but a waterfall of any size is very calming to listen to and is more attainable to many.
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 8:53AM
featherhome
I dream of adding an outdoor pool. The element of water is so calming. The benefit of swimming, unmatched by any other physical activity. The esthetic beauty that a pool adds to a backyard, just wonderful. Well into our golden years, I envision my husband and myself swimming in the mornings or evenings for the simple joy of it.
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 8:56AM
pwbennett
We just got a home on a lake and we stay outside all the time. Of my outside wishes; shower, grill bar area, and fire pit ...the winner is the grill and bar area. Living in the south we can use it all year plus enjoy the beautiful lake view. Would so love a wow in the back yard!
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 8:56AM
dds2bedc
I have four active girls and my husband doesn't know how to swim but would love learn. He's embarrassed to take lessons at the public school but would love to do a Triathlon some day. It would be awesome to have a pool at our home for our own recreation and to enjoy with family, friends, and neighbors. We actually got a quote a few weeks ago and can't see this dream becoming a reality in the near future. I pray we win!!
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 9:01AM
angfillinger
Personally I would love them all.If I had to pick one that would be the most practical for my family it would be the fire place. We do have a movable fire pit right now on some left over concrete that we used after building our house that isn't square or level. we find it hard to relax by the fire when we look around and think of all the things we could do to make it look better..
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 9:07AM
jck910
Fire pit for New England evenings sitting outside watching the stars with a good glass of wine
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 9:10AM
Mackenzie Austin Design
Screened in porch!!
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 9:12AM
Glenda
A screened and misted gazebo so I can enjoy the forest and pond that backs my backyard - especially during cool evenings and early mornings, and not have to worry about things that buzz, bite and blow. Love to watch the birds, listen to the symphony of bull frogs and cicadas but at times, flying things drive me back inside! http://www.meijer.com/s/casita-round-freestanding-outdoor-screen-house-brown-medium/_/R-185592
1 Like    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 9:16AM
suekarp
I can not afford a pool so an out door pit would be s great place to gather with my friends.
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 9:20AM
sweetback40
As you walk in our home...thru the foyer...pass the kitchen but before the great room ....you come to a patio door to your right side. It's on the other side of these doors that you enter our fenced, outdoor living area of over 4,500 sq. ft., with 561sq ft. of it being our attached California Rustic deck. We retreat to this area when we want to lounge outdoors. We have a very durable screen & shade gazebo by Wright that keeps up from being burdened by the sun rays. We have a conversation set by Hampton Bay; a dining pub set and a standard dining set all on our deck ...that I've named Sable. There are so many exciting things that you can do in an area like this and believe me I am always doing it. My husband is always talking about what I am doing in this area, i. e. green-thumbing; decorating; furnishing... something. This area is a part of our home as any other room is and I am absorbed by it. I have to admit this area excites me as its such a spacious area to socialize and dine in --I'm just addicted; I love it! There is so much more that I want to add and built; one being a grill and bar and the second ...a patio paving just below the decking. I'm all OUTDOORS! -:) Attached is a picture of my grandsons enjoying a brotherly lunch.
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 9:22AM
kcabotsmith
Right now, I don't use the backyard because there was no money left to do anything with that after building the house. I would love to have an outdoor living space that includes a kitchen and fireplace. My backyard is surrounded by trees, so very private. That would absolutely complete this beautiful country living (just 20 minutes from downtown Kansas City) experience.
1 Like    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 9:22AM
Mandy Kelly
I love to have BBQ's and entertain my friends so having an outdoor kitchen space would be AMAZING!
1 Like    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 9:25AM
yellbean
I would LOVE a Hottub, with my back the way it is, I would use it all the time.
1 Like    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 9:31AM
maryanngmeyers
Its all great would love a hot tub to chill in evenings!
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 9:33AM
cathyleep
A water feature of some sort. Soothing sounds and pleasant to look at!
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 9:33AM
woodruj
Other: a tiny treehouse for my nephew and me...to sleep outdoors, plan our lives, and share our profound thoughts.
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 9:35AM
jboncaro
A gorgeous garden, complete with a live-in gardener - preferably hot and hunky. :~D
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 9:36AM
retirement15
They are so beautiful! I would love to have the BBQ in my back yard. Nothing better then being outdoors enjoying Gods creation.
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 9:37AM
Marsha Gramley
I would love to have a small area of pavers for a table with umbrella and/or to place my copper fire pit. We live in south Texas so our outdoor areas are usable all year long...though during the dog days of August, the firepit has been relegated to cleaning/storage.
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 9:37AM
aussietoo
Having had a pool in a previous house, I would skip that and go straight to the bar and grill. For our lifestyle, the bar and grill would get so much more use and be far easier to maintain.
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 9:38AM
svetlanajohnson
I would love a hot tub
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 9:42AM
mryackerz
Here in Johnstown, it is always a bit chilly in the air. Even in summer, there is really only a few weeks that one can really swim. A grill would be nice, but a hot tub would be ideal to relax on the cold evenings after a hard day of work. Ideally, I would like a fancy one that can double as a fountain to drown out any road noise in the yard, since I live on a busy street.
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 9:46AM
lbeecroft12
My dream would be to have floor to ceiling French doors opening onto a beautiful patio, with a built in outdoor kitchen, and the patio would seamlessly transition into the pool area.
I have the pool, but it would be lovely for the patio and pool area to have coordinated stone/tile and then landscape the area with native plants and trees. And if it could be dog friendly I would be over the moon!
1 Like    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 9:48AM
Belahn
I am going to build a house with an interior courtyard that is surrounded by the walls of the house and accessible from several different entry ways. It will feature a large covered area with outdoor furniture, my hammock, one tree, plants in containers, tile and stone flooring, and plenty of ledges and edible grass/plants for my cats. Possibly a water feature. Nobody ever understands what I am talking about, but you have some pictures of some really good ones on this site.
2 Likes    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 9:57AM
bgess
A large gathering place for family!
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 9:58AM
Michelle Gilliam
I choose a pool if money was no deterrent. But I would probably go for a bar and grill for entertaining and not as much money. Also easier for resale and not an 'upkeep'.
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 9:58AM
Ar Lia
I use my backyard as the gathering spot. when I have my friends coming over, we sit outside at the backyard, have a drink & a long good chat & laughter. Summer activity for my family would be going to the beach, swimming, and going to a fairground.
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 10:01AM
rcostell
peaceful landscaping including shaded spots for a south facing backyard
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 10:09AM
gram534
Would love to have landscaping. We just bought a new home that is a blank slate and a very small area. We need someone with vision and experience to finish it.
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 10:11AM
junebug2580
Definitely a fire pit! It's somewhere friends, family, and neighbors can gather and make memories. (And s'mores)
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 10:12AM
orchdldy
Yard designed for grandchildren - ages 2yo to 16yo. Pool would need to be enclosed and heated to be able to use more than 2 months/ year. Shaded area for adults to hang out to watch children.. Also want yard fenced so Morkies can run free. Easy maintenance, grandma wants to enjoy too and not spend all of her time working to keep nice.
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 10:15AM
christinacrafts
A pool would be perfect. No more lugging the fam to the city pool,
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 10:19AM
jeannemd12
I'd like a water feature that would double as a dog water station. My girls spend a lot of time outside and a dog dish just isn't big enough or clean enough in these dog days of summer.
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 10:21AM
Joseph Mathai
A pool , floating mini bar , a deck with BBQ grill
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 10:24AM
ladyj707
My favorite summer activity is having backyard swim parties. I live in a part of the country where the summers are long and hot.
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 10:29AM
Megan Hand
Love all the ideas, but I live in the Pacific Northwest so the fire pit would be used the most. For the dream home in a warmer climate, however, I would want an outdoor shower hands down!
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 10:34AM
mgreen1
Built in bar and grill has to be the one for me! All others are nice to have but the built in grill Would be #1 on the list. The most used and appreciated by everyone that I would have over- friends family neighbors.
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 10:47AM
fanger924
I would pick the outdoor grill and bar. Would love to take meal times outside in the summer/fall. An outdoor kitchen area for the patio would bring us out there. for now after cooking inside to then drag everything out, doesn't happen. The kids are always asking to eat outside, would be fun for company too. I would want to use the patio area a lot more.
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 10:48AM
Robert Alves
Moving from Cali to TX. Pooooool!
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 10:50AM
Suzzette Schmit
I can enjoy a fire pit well into my old age, as we begin the last 25 years of our lives, and we would use it the most and be able to maintain it.
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 10:53AM
Ahh! Products Bean Bag Chairs
Love them all, but the bar and grill would be used all year long to bring family and friends together. Pools can be a pain to maintain, otherwise, I would have said the pool!
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 10:56AM
begabe
Definitely the BBQ and bar. We eat outdoors on our lanai often and frequently have friends over for breakfast, dinner or cocktails. An outdoor bbq and bar would certainly make things more convenient. Especially since I'm usually the one running back and forth into the house for more napkins, condiments, cooking utensils, etc!
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 10:58AM
anaram5456
As for myself, we just moved into a new home. It is a beautiful home with a lot of potential but could definitely use tlc. I always dream of a tropical oasis, a get away where I can escape and relax. So an in ground jacuzzi with a lot of tropical plants and trees and mist rising from around the jacuzzi is definitely my idea of a place to relax and invite others
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 10:58AM
asianfreckles
Husband wants an outdoor pool in Michigan. Love the outdoor improvements featured in the photos. Wondering how that upkeep of these items will work in Michigan. This will be our first winter with snow!
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 10:59AM
trabae40
A dream backyard with a pool is want a mom dreams of really! I would be the best mom forever, and I can have vacations getaways in my own yard a piece of heaven of earth. Not to mention your home becomes the entertainment house for friends and family sounds like a lot of fun and bonding.
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 10:59AM
peaceseeker
I would love to have a fire pit in my backyard garden. I can already see myself by the pit with my feet stretched out on a lounge chair enjoying the warmed and admiring the Houzz Slippers on my feet... Hope I win!
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 11:03AM
Jeremy Long
I'm of the opinion that its a lot better to have a friend who has a pool than to have one myself. I just know that I wouldn't utilize it as much as I'd need to in order to justify the expense. A fire-pit is much more my speed, chilling on a cool evening having a beer or Scotch with a close friend.
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 11:05AM
Peter Sawala
The hot tub would complete my backyard. The pool would be nice but the maintenance is not.
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 11:12AM
calidesign
A firepit can be used year round, by everyone. Pools require a lot of maintenance, and expense (water and electric). Adding a fountain is a great way to have the soothing sound of water around you.
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 11:15AM
Ann Cherek
fire pit complete w/ smore forks!
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 11:21AM
beakerps
I would love to have a pool because swimming is how we spend each summer afternoon anyway and it would be so convenient just to step into my own yard to do so.
1 Like    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 11:34AM
teebird56
Our lot is on a fairly steep terraced slope which backs up to the national forest. I would love an infinity pool built on the middle terrace, with a water fall coming in, recirculating the spilling water. It gets hot here in Central Calif and we would be out there floating, swimming, listening and gazing at the beauty of the pool. It would also help my husband who has severe knee & back pain, get some exercise without bearing weight on his knees & spine. What a wonderful dream!
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 11:45AM
ekpye
All of the above!! :)
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 11:45AM
sdfehr
I voted for a outdoor kitchen. Have a huge backyard so would like to incorporate a BBQ and Bar area.
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 11:45AM
hollyrg1
Absolutely a pool. It's practically a must in Florida!
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 11:53AM
gtburton99
I would choose the outdoor bar and grill since I already have a pool and spa.
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 12:04PM
anniemck6
I would love a swimming pool. A swimming pool is the ultimate backyard dream.
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 12:07PM
ctparrish
I would love a built in bar/grill - just a fun place to entertain and hang out!
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 12:08PM
ssreym
Hot tub is my choice. We are planning this in place of the above ground pool we have had for the last 20 years. We sunk the pool 2 ft in the ground but all the kids have flown the coop.
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 12:09PM
chelakaplan
Definitely a hot tub! As we age and joints get creaky and muscles sore, a hot tub is perfect for therapy, relaxation, and just plain fun!
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 12:13PM
nikitasmom
I have loved having a pool. It is my vacation getaway. I spend many lazy summer days next to or in the pool reading with an exotic drink by my side. We may not have an ocean or city view but a lovely pool makes up for it. For me, it is worth the extra expense. Now if only I could figure out the best easy to maintain landscaping.
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 12:14PM
chel43
I picture a lovely gazebo with room for hot tub, stone mosaic path with shrubs and flowers
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 12:18PM
lexiebiggs
Pools are great water features for so many reasons. A Place to be cool on hot summer days, family gatherings, kids playground, good for health,& exercise. Meditation and summer memories.
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 12:23PM
carensfavorites
Always wanted a pool, that would be our number one feature!
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 12:25PM
jenchannon
I would love to have the lower patio extended with interlocking pavers. The lawn will not grow so we are giving up but we aren't too disappointed. Extending the lower patio will provide us with the opportunity to have a larger space for entertaining. So my vote for 'other' would be the interlocking pavers extending my lower patio.
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 12:40PM
whisperingpines
All so lovely but I would choose ...other! We back onto a lake, have a hot tub and fire pit we use year round and although we don't have an elaborate grill area,we do BBQ year round too. What I would love is to find a way to extend indoors to outdoors in a way we could use it year round. We live in Winnipeg,Canada and an outdoor space would have to function in below -30 C temps. I have scoured Houzz for ideas and when I find the perfect outdoor space it is always located in temperate climes. Oh..and if our winter isn't challenge enough we have mosquitoes a plenty in the summer. Would love something screened and warm but open....a big dream I know!!!! But thanks for letting me dream big!
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 12:45PM
milliejudd
Bar and grill bring so many great possibilities .
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 12:53PM
wordactress
SLIPPERS ON THE BEACH - I would love to win those slippers so I can wear them on the beach
I built at the back of my driveway in San Jose, California. I used to live in Malibu and grew up
in New England so I recreated a sandy beach with a battered white fence reminding me of my Cape Cod childhood. I strung Christmas lights along the fence, hung up a few summer-inspired paintings and
a chandelier on tree limbs and voila, I've got my own little piece of Paradise. Come visit us...
Mary - the CEO of my family of four golden retrievers - Sabrina, JoJo, Oliver & Jack Tru
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 1:03PM
agruber830
I would just love to have my 12 by12 kitchen remodeled, was built early 80's .
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 1:22PM
janeconner
We grill all summer so having a nice outdoor kitchen would be awesome.
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 1:22PM
rgrainge
What I would give for a hot tub we could build into our existing above ground deck and a Wysteria canopied arbor above for some romance under the stars not to mention therapy for some tired bones. Our deck overlooks the heavily wooded backyard where even Audobon would delight in the splendor of birdsong. Western North Carolina is truly Paradise on Earth.
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 1:32PM
ypathome
Living in the south and on an old plantation ...we have snakes, critters and bugs. Never the less, outside with fresh air and humidity is what we enjoy. I vote for a pool because it could be used almost year round. ( but it needs to be light color so I can see any snakes that get in:)
1 Like    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 1:33PM
deidrer
We would LOVE the pool!! We have three young children & the youngest learned to swim this year. It would be great for them to be able to practice an important life skill as well as have fun when they are out of school. We had a pool when I was growing up & our house was always busy with me & my friends swimming. I would love for my kids to have that same memory :)
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 1:34PM
ennedykay
I have been dreaming of a swimming pool for years. Not only is swimming great exercise, water and sunshine nourish the soul.
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 1:38PM
norman817
We built a nice patio with a built in grill/bar to discover we should have included a roof. We would love to be able to grill even when it rains.
1 Like    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 1:38PM
pamtsavo
How to pick ONE favorite!!?? Are you craaazy? Well, I guess I'd have to go with Hot Tub--simply the best pick for us especially considering how this one looked. It is oh so sweet! It looked more like a mini pool. In the drought stricken Texas heat, a pool is awesome but with the water usage issue, cost of upkeep, time for maintenance, the hot tub definitely fits the bill. It would be a spot to splash and relax in during a hot, dry day or perfect for an evening of relaxation and star gazing. Like they say "The stars at night are big and bright deep in the heart of Texas" and we are definitely deep in the heart of Texas! A hot tub in this blank backyard of ours would be a welcomed sight for sure. Hmmm, I wonder if the dog would agree............wait!..............I asked and the dog said to bring it on! (and if the hot tub came with a side of meat, life would be perfect he said---just ask for Murphy)
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 1:40PM
lnezhura
My dream backyard would include all options except pool (water conservation is imperative where we live). But I suppose if I have to start the dream somewhere, it would be with an outdoor kitchen. We love to cook outside. In the summers it's a necessity--because of cooling costs, I'm not "allowed" to use the oven. I have a roaster sitting on a rickety end table plugged into an outlet with an orange extension cord! That's what I call my outdoor kitchen right now. :-)
1 Like    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 1:40PM
Nancy Walton
My dream backyard would include a firepit, but not just any firepit. I want a kiva fireplace with a circular sitting area for people to gather around. As it is pretty expensive, I would probably not get one unless I won a contest like this one.
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 1:57PM
gmcl
gmcl A grill and a bar would get the most use year round--that would be my first choice.
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 1:59PM
cherimitchell
I had an opportunity lately to swim in a friend's pool by myself at night, no lights, just a full moon and starlit night. It was heavenly! I would love to be able to do that at my house.
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 2:11PM
22spanky
I vote for the pool, mostly because we have had pools in two previous homes and have really enjoyed them very much. Now my husband is very handicapped and doesn't get any exercise at all. In our home before we moved here, we had a pool and it did my husband good, as far as exercise. He never thought we would need a pool when we moved here, but we really do and now can't afford to get one. So winning one would be terrific. As far as it goes for me, I have had 7 back surgeries and could use this swimming exercise also.
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 2:13PM
Chris Shouse
The pool for exercise and my granddaughter. We have no landscaping at all right now nothing but dirt. We live in the high desert and all the dirt ends up in the house. The swimming pool would be a great starting point for us to start landscaping.
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 2:22PM
excelleny
I would love to have a fire pit. I have an incredible view from my front yard, which is currently not being used. This would provide additional living space in an unused area of my home and allow us to take in the breath taking view.
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 2:31PM
lilypcooper
I would love-love-LOVE to have an outdoor shower to use for cleaning up and cooling off after gardening in the SC lowcountry--hot, sandy work!
1 Like    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 2:34PM
Gayle Babcock
I would be blessed to win any of backyard items we have 9 acres that we mow and would love to enjoy backyard instead of always working in the yard.
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 2:45PM
Rose Cone-Mari
I would love a pool. It's fun for kids and adults of all ages. And living in Ga. Means we could use it 8 months out of the year....dare to dream. My yard could use the oasis. Big, open and boring now.
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 2:53PM
Julie R. Dorathy
Pool...and hot tub. Was hoping winner got a new back yard design... because I'm paralyzed by indecision!
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 3:05PM
smattison
I would love an adobe brick oven! It would be a great feature for baking bread, pizza and whole fish.
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 3:19PM
Heidi
Oh a huge grill area would be great. Working on installing the fire pit right now in the backyard. I would have a place for friends and family to hang out. The square footage on my yard is bigger than my house. So I have a yard with a house.
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 3:21PM
llm133
I vote other. I would love a patio area with a water feature and lots of seating area for friends.
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 3:28PM
chrisdeb
we use our outdoor space mainly for the kids it would be incredible to have some adult space and a hot tub would definitely make the space great plus help with our old aching muscles.
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 3:28PM
Donna Jeakle Llamas
We have a in ground pool which is wonderful and so perfection would be bar and grill!
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 3:51PM
sulrossgrad
We use our grill at least twice a week, not only because we love grilling, but it keeps the kitchen cooler!
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 3:54PM
magilamaud
An outdoor entertainment area with a bar and barbecue, and surrounded by a garden, is tops for me.
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 3:54PM
mizniecey
Since its my dream the outdoor bar and grill is #1 for me. Think of all the fun you and your friends can have in a yard like that. Keeping the party outside would definitely keep cleaning up after to the bare minimum
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 3:58PM
Barbara Roe
I don't have a house yet but we will be looking in October for one. I grew up with a big back yard and parents who love to entertain. I would love to have a yard that would allow all these things and also have a secret part that my husband and I could enjoy.
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 4:02PM
bucachiller
An outdoor pool would be lovely but as we live in Canada, the built-in bbq would get the most use.
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 4:04PM
becca9469
POOL, POOL, POOL!!! Great for exercising and relaxation!!
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 4:22PM
Georgia Custom Cabinet Doors Inc.
Definitely the hot tub!
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 4:25PM
Kris
Pool!
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 4:28PM
pjgidcombmyers
Summer isn't summer without water! Whether you are swimming, floating or simply relaxing by the pool, water defines summer!!
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 4:34PM
KathrynElizabeth Etier
As much as I would love a pool, it's just not practical in the mountains--summers are cooler and shorter. I voted for hot tub--it's always been a dream of mine, and when we stay at hotels with hot tubs, I always take advantage.
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 4:53PM
josvee
We already have a pool...it would be a dream to have the bar and grill put in...
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 4:58PM
mminoff
I'd say pool but where I live I'd be lucky to get in a couple of weeks of swimming each season, so it's a fire pit for me...and who can say no to s'mores?
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 5:00PM
kdekker
An outdoor pool is definitely the choice for me and my family!

For us, there a so many advantages to having a pool. A pool would be a great therapy tool for my mom (who walks with a walker and is partially paralyzed), as well as my elderly german shepherd dogs (12, 12, and 10 years old). My young son just learned to swim this summer. He absolutely LOVES swimming! And for me, as an ex-competitive swimmer, I would love to keep in shape at home. I can just see it now... a menagerie of family, both human and furry, as well as friends, frolicking in the water...

It would be amazing if we won! We just bought a fixer-upper home and the backyard is nothing but cactus and dirt (and in sunny Southern California, this is such a shame). A pool would be an amazing transformation!
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 5:04PM
thebarneyhouse
How can you limit this to one choice? I need a whole backyard makeover. I have a blank slate really. Grass, no grees, one sago palm and a rose bush in a bad location. Really.... I could use all. In a perfect world I would also add a water feature and/or koi pond, a fabulous tool/garden shed a small sport court and a tranquility garden plus a vegetable garden!
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 5:05PM
riskovj
we live outdoors in the summer.. reading on the back porch, eating our meals, playing with the dog, birdwatching.. a cooking area would be a perfect addition!
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 5:06PM
amysmo
I need a new patio cover. The 70's aluminum one I have now just traps the heat.
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 5:09PM
brandyautry
I would LOVE to have the outdoor bar and grill! My husband and I do a lot of outdoor grilling and entertaining. Eventually We will have an outdoor bar and grill!! It's a dream of ours to have one at our lake house.
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 5:11PM
tmacmillan
We do not have a pool and my kids love swimming. Everyday the kids ask if we can go to someone else's house to go swimming. I would love to have a pool so that we can build family memories right in our own backyard instead of always having to go else where. I dream of a backyard where we all want to be and enjoy and a place we can share with friends a families.
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 5:24PM
daphappy
We like to entertain and while a swimming pool would be neat - not everyone swims. The fire pit and outdoor shower may as well be seasonal and the hot tub is something my parents would have had in their backyard.. I'd vote for the bar and grill. Everyone likes to eat and where we live, we could use it year round.
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 5:27PM
treetosky
I really want an outdoor bar and grill to go with my decor! Lake life...much outdoor time!
1 Like    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 5:31PM
Donnie LaCourse
My vote is for the outdoor bar and grill, as it is universal, but I'm picturing a bar and grill that costs as much as a swimming pool... To include tv(s), covered, patio furniture, sink, lights, etc...
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 5:35PM
karlachaffey
A pool would be amazing for the 35* 85% humidity summer days here!
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 5:38PM
Gayle Guess
A backyard pool would be my ultimate summer dream!
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 5:38PM
hisjojogirl
Water has always been a large part of our lives with having a family cottage. We have such wonderful memories to call on ... kids jumping off the dock .... water volleyball .... or just lounging on the beach in the shade. Now with age and the maintenance involved, the cottage is slated to be sold next spring. With our first grandchild due this October, we have been thinking of adding an inground pool for the entire family to enjoy. We were blessed with 2 boy's that we are immensely proud of and a lovely daughter-in-law who enjoys family as much as we do.
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 5:42PM
griffjones3
Outdoor showers are the best.
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 5:47PM
cakins45
Tropical backyard
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 5:51PM
dredlinger
Definitely a pool. Would love to have a bigger pool than this one so me and my hubby could swim too.
2 Likes    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 5:59PM
keelinge
I have always wanted a pool, but living in the Midwest, it would have to be one that could have a cover over it for the winter as I would want to use it year round. However, my husband who has endured two back surgeries votes for the hot tub, which would be easier to maintain and we can still use all year without the large cover - so hubby wins out---but it is fun to sit in the tub with the snow falling around sipping on some wine or hot chocolate.
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 6:01PM
jeanne10p
Yes yes yes another room outside to entertain
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 6:02PM
slomester
I dream of having just a small pool with ipe decking, lit up at night, and modern patio furniture... Ah, that's it!
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 6:07PM
Jorge Diz
Nothing says summer fun as clean water whether it be a river, lake, the ocean, and of course a pool. Having young children and knowing how much they enjoy visiting friends and relatives who have a pool, I would have to say that in our dream backyard, a pool would be the center feature, and the source of countless gatherings and memories.
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 6:08PM
dld231
Our family and friends would love the built in bar and grill area!!! What a wonderful way to connect with everyone during our outdoor seasons! Tons of laughter to be shared by all.
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 6:08PM
Suzette Burdt
Well...I have old bones...lol...I absolutely adore a hot tub. Swimming is wonderful of course, but not everyone has the space or the money to keep it up. A hot tub doubles as a "swimming" pool for grandkids as well as incredible opportunities for romance and sadly "medicinal" purposes.....
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 6:10PM
Lori Carpenter
I would love to have a hot tub too, but a fire pit is a must in my new backyard. i live in Florida, so it is useful 6 months out of the year. And, who can resist toasted marshmallows?
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 6:11PM
sherrydavisjohnson
I would love an outdoor shower. My favorite spa has a teak outdoor shower. I revel in the beauty of nature while washing my cares away.
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 6:14PM
Donna
Living on a lake, the built in bar and grill gets my vote. We do alot of entertaining in the summer and this would be ideal. The fire pit and outdoor shower are sweet too. I am fortunate enough to have a hot tub on the deck over looking the lake. It was one of the best things we bought for the home.
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 6:24PM
mssadie
Oh how I would love a pool, but my husband would love the outdoor kitchen. So, I guess the kitchen wins.Besides he is a great cook.
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 6:29PM
JAC Design
I live on a hill side that is a nightmare to maintain due to the run off of water. My dream backyard would first have to address the grade of the hill and provide a natural landscape with a water feature. Enhanced with a beautiful outdoor entertaining area.
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 6:39PM
mollhouse
Outdoor shower, as I live near the beach, and great for guests visiting the area, and because have a dog, so great to give post beach shower.
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 6:40PM
LeeandJo Elliott
I will take one of each please and thanks!
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 6:40PM
floridagal513
Definitely the bar and grill. We enjoy cooking out and hanging out with family in the back yard.
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 6:44PM
charoped
Already have a pool and the outdoor shower will be great!
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 6:56PM
Tarayn Woodbury
Would love a big covered eating area and outdoor kitchen!
I mean dreams are free right!
It might happen one day!!!!!!!:)
My family entertains large numbers of people a lot. We have recently moved to a new house with quite a big backyard. Since the house is so small the only obvious place to entertain is the backyard. Pity its only a dust bowl!
Family is also very important to us and as we love getting together for a beer every now and then there would be nowhere better to get together. Australia gets hot so the having the area covered is definitely a must and it wouldnt be bad if you could add in plastic roller blinds to keep the heat in during the winter.
Like I said dreams are free!!!!!!:)
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 7:23PM
triciarobinson
I would love to have a waterfall. I enjoy reading on my lower patio and the only noice that wouldn't disrupt my enjoyment would be a waterfall. So soothing, a definite stress reliever.
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 7:29PM
25mama27
A pool would be a great addition to our home and help us endure this TEXAS HEAT!! My one year old daughter LOVES to swim and we would definitely use this everyday :).
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 7:31PM
oneweekmax
at our age and they way my husband is always building some project or repairing something, the hot tub would be a hot item around here.
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 7:31PM
hopstoopid
I want a fountain so that the sound of running water is in the yard. I have a pond but it is too much work for me to maintain. A fountain would be easier to clean and reduce the amount of water needed.
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 7:32PM
rsg625
Perfect addition to outdoor living would be a combo pizza oven BBQ area to supplement the pool.
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 7:35PM
psnowden
My perfect backyard would have to include a beautiful wooden pergola with more than one porch swing circling around a fire pit. It would be beautifully paved and in the midst of a lush and fragrant garden!
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 7:48PM
dav1dkent
I'll take the pool any day of the week. Once you have the pool you can add the landscaping, a fire pit, a pergola, an outdoor kitchen or anything else to your yard. Plus, the pool is a great focal point for entertaining!
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 7:49PM
owliphant_house
We have a smaller backyard that wouldn't accommodate a pool, but a fire pit would be another outdoor activity that could provide a strong family bonding force!
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 7:51PM
dwaredell
The outdoor kitchen would be a great addition to our back yard since we are always BBQ and entertaining. Cuts down on running in and out of the house.
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 7:55PM
Tillie OKelley
I would chose a deck with a hot tub/spa on or in it. My husband and I both have arthritis and it would be so soothing. We have had a pool and he doesn't want another at this stage in our lives. I am recovering from recent surgery to remove a cancerous kidney and feel this would allow both of us to benefit from the warm healing waters. I still am not 100%, but getting there. A few luxuries amidst the dr. visits and the healing processes would be wonderful.
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 8:34PM
coalnoel
My heart chose a Cool Pool to splash in, to relax and lounge around , and a backdrop for a picturesque backyard .. ( A dream is a wish your heart makes)....dreams do come true!
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 8:36PM
hiyakt
I vote for saltwater swimming pool for exercise! Live in NM need somewhere to cool off on those 3 digit days.
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 8:50PM
rhigan
I voted for the outdoor bar/grill. In the summer time we cook outside about 90% of the time as our kitchen is too hot to cook in plus I love the grill, I even use it in the winter. The bar would be a bonus for entertaining.
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 8:55PM
Kerri Daniels
Just anything to enjoy Jaelynn's memorial tree and to make memories with my family.
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 9:06PM
edyeann2
I would have to vote pool!! We live in TX and work next to our home in shop with no a/c and at 105 degrees it's a bit toasty. I don't know how many time I've told my husband we need one so I can take a dip and go back to work:). After working in heat all week we just stay inside on the weekends to avoid the heat instead of enjoying our backyard. :(eek
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 9:26PM
Karleen Heinz
My back yard, well it needs HELP My vote is for the pool because I loved to swim, float and relax on a hot summer day. It just needs HELP like I said
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 9:34PM
crikel
My backyard is a complete blank canvas--just grass and a basic deck leading to a large yard. While I'd love to have any one of these features, my DREAM would include an almost seamless transition from inside to out, a modest outdoor kitchen, comfy seating for conversations and watching the outdoor TV, a hot tub, fireplace that blends with house and some type of covered section. Summers are HOT in the South! As kids get older, it's nice to have a place for them to hang out with friends vs being on the road or "out".
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 9:40PM
kkcasino
I have to vote for pool. Even when not in use, they make the yard look good.
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 10:02PM
Linda Doyle
At 62 years old I've learned there are blessings and tragedies: I was paralyzed on my left side for over 2 years. After 4 surgeries- I can walk! Then I lost my only child: my beautiful, 37 year old daughter last Oct 15, 2012. She was a chaplain at a VA hospital. A simple skinny long lap pool, 3 ft deep would give me the exercise needed desperately to keep my muscles in shape-just another dream. Actually, tons of flowering plants in pots would make me happy! (Some peace) My daughter loved plants. I live in the deep country- 40 minutes south of Nashville. Just beyond my small back yard is the horse pasture and woods (2 donkeys & one horse are pets- picture attached). I do NOT have one single tree or bush in the yard or pasture. I sit on my patio & stare at the pasture-dreaming of flowers in pots, hoping to get my strength back emotionally. I ask myself 1000 times- have I been forgotten, does anyone care? All my family has passed away with cancer. That's one thing, thank God, I don't have cancer. Now I am on a fixed income, so simple plants or anything would really a dream come true for me. My husband has dementia. I am truly desperate for peace- a nice place to read?... Linda D
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 10:08PM
areyes
Pool all the way. Great excuse to workout without the sweat!
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 10:19PM
odette87
Bar and grill in an outside kitchen for overall family fun! Cascading waterfall into a swimming pool is a close second. :-) Easy decisions for my all time DREAM backyard.....
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 10:25PM
beans12
We would love to have a fire pit! It would be like camping at home. I'm sure the s'more consumption will skyrocket on our street.
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 10:30PM
Carol Shaw
I would love a hot tub in my back yard, or on the deck. I live in an area where most of the year is cold except for a few weeks of warmth. It would be great and relaxing to have a hot tub warm us up. Any water feature would be welcome, I am a water baby at heart. lots of family enjoyment to sit around talking in the hot tub and having a great time, the kids would love it as much as the adults.
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 10:35PM
hurst visual solutions
The pool would be nice if there was no upkeep and you had a "pool boy"... I would love a cozy and private area with a hot tub as I get older and start to feel those aches and pains. Friends love to hop in a hot tub and it's a great place for conversation. I have a friend with a 8 person Jacuzzi tub and each person has ear speakers by their own pillow and volume control. It has a waterfall with colored lights if you choose. Steps were built to help with that in and out. There is also a special set of jets for foot a foot massage. I'd love this private little oasis.. I think if people had more natural things to do like this to relax, there would be less stress, less need for anxiety medications. It's a good place for a couple to talk about any matters they might have in a relaxed place as opposed to the living room couch with the TV on. If the jets are off, you can float candles if you have friends over and no hot tub activity is planned. I know people with hot tubs that NEVER use them.. and I think I would use it everyday. Friends invited.
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 10:43PM
Chris Lemke
Life in Las Vegas lends itself to the perfect pool climate. A pool gives a calmness and resort feeling to your home. Although we live in the desert, I desire to soak up the sun while floating in my pool with a sweet adult libation. I dearly want to change the green grass in my backyard to cool blue water. AHHH paradise!
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 11:07PM
Nancy Walton
I think Kerri Daniels should win her memorial garden for her daughter Jaelynn, whom she lost at a very early age. They are an American farm family which doesn't have a lot of discretionary income. They are satisfied with doing a little at a time, as they can afford it, but it would be a wonderful gift for them to be able to have the backyard they envision as the fitting memorial for their late daughter.
1 Like    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 11:23PM
carolins
@Nancy and all the others who think a dream garden is the prize, I believe a pair of Houzz slippers is.
You're a lovely person Nancy, to wish a dream garden for other people :-)
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 11:28PM
bzarza
My backyard is so challenging because its mostly deck and a small piece of yard followed by a forest. We really want a se ret garden in our forest but its so overgrown and impossible to get through I picked a hot tub so we could soak and enjoy the view...
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 11:54PM
katieandmarksd
Pools create a vacation at home without leaving! Saving money on vacations and connecting the family is what pools are all about.
    Bookmark   August 19, 2013 at 12:38AM
shobhap
we would love the braai and bar. we have a pool in the back yard but it lacks a butiful family area. this would be ideal when family and friends come over. with summer coming in and many outdoor family evenings the braai and bar is perfect for famiy evenings.
    Bookmark   August 19, 2013 at 12:43AM
francesaxu
A cool, stone fountain with water flowing straight down a stone wall, lit up from below at night with twinkly lights and in-pool lights to make "dancing" shadows on the water-wall. The sound at night would help me to relax and fall asleep. Oh, and some benches near a patio or low stone walls around it to sit on at the end of the day. Lots of sweet-scented bushes, loads of herbs and flowers in huge planters and climbing flowering vines (jasmine and other climbers) to give a calming feel to the space. The fire pit would get a lot of use, as we'd always be attracted to a warm, crackling fire in the evenings and the kids never tire of toasting marshmallows by the fire.
    Bookmark   August 19, 2013 at 1:08AM
jayde1498
A BBQ gas grill complete with all the trimmings is a must for any outdoor space and recreational activity to enjoy with family and friends
    Bookmark   August 19, 2013 at 1:16AM
chilli02
i really want a cubby house for my kids it one of those things you look at when u walk in 2 some1s yard and say WOW!!!!!
    Bookmark   August 19, 2013 at 1:43AM
francesaxu
Oh yes, definitely a BBQ gas grill would be a good addition. I can see using that in most seasons.
    Bookmark   August 19, 2013 at 1:57AM
Andrew McKerry
A pool. Because my wife can't swim but she loves water, and the quickest way for here to learn to swim is to have our own pool.
    Bookmark   August 19, 2013 at 2:18AM
amyheirman
An outdoor shower is a must for us! Living blocks from the Lake Michigan shore equates to sand on the bodies of loved ones. There is nothing better than showering outside!
    Bookmark   August 19, 2013 at 3:13AM
Sharon Snow
Definitely a pool for the serenity of the water and to be able to exercise frequently.
    Bookmark   August 19, 2013 at 3:13AM
blims
A pool with a beautiful garden
    Bookmark   August 19, 2013 at 3:19AM
mb82n86d92
As I age, a hot tub would be wonderful to soak away my aches and pains :)
    Bookmark   August 19, 2013 at 3:28AM
Jane Bateman
Living in the UK, it just has to be a fire pit. Sitting around a warm fire on chilly (or freezing evenings) watching the stars, chatting, telling stories, singing or sitting silently with the smell of wood smoke. Bliss. x
    Bookmark   August 19, 2013 at 3:49AM
januzh
If I had a big backyard, I'd have all of them. Considering the small size of my lot, I'd have to make do with a zen garden of sorts complimented by a herb garden on the periphery. I do plan to bring in a garden / dining set for company amidst the zen-like ambience. It's all wait and see right now but I am excited. :-)
    Bookmark   August 19, 2013 at 3:53AM
Monica P
I'd like an outdoor kitchen, or at least a built-in grill. We have a pool, but a pool isn't a pool without a great grill!
    Bookmark   August 19, 2013 at 3:55AM
Mary Knight
Living in Iowa our outside time is limited so the fire pit would be perfect.
    Bookmark   August 19, 2013 at 4:17AM
novacich
I would choose a combo brick oven/ fireplace and seating area. Not necessarily a bar and grill but something more of a gathering space with comfy all weather seating to relax, pop a bottle of wine, make a snack, or just enjoy the seclusion of my yard.
    Bookmark   August 19, 2013 at 4:35AM
toadhill
The dream would be a natural swimming pond - chemical free, naturalized to the landscape of our small slice of the world.
    Bookmark   August 19, 2013 at 5:02AM
22spanky
I would choose to have a swimming pool. My husband is very handicapped and I have had 7 back surgeries, so a pool would give us the exercise we need. Living in Florida is a must for a pool. We have had pools in recent houses in Port Charlotte and Sarasota. We thought when we moved to North Florida we wouldn't need the pool, but with my husband getting worse as far as moving around he especially needs the exercise. It is hotter in Jacksonville than we thought it would be.
    Bookmark   August 19, 2013 at 5:02AM
tampa92912
We are moving into a new home next week! It has a swimming pool and sits on conservation land overlooking a pond. I would love to have a projection tv/media setup for movies at night and for watching football during the weekends. Nothing would beat lounging in the pool with my wife with some cold drinks and watching the big game on a projector!
    Bookmark   August 19, 2013 at 5:10AM
margo1947
The swimming pool would be a great asset to our bi-generation home, the grandchildren would learn to swim while parents and grand-parents watch them having a great time !
    Bookmark   August 19, 2013 at 5:15AM
Kim Callaghan Brandon
If I couldn't be on the lake, than I would want a pool oasis in my backyard. Too many neighbours for an outdoor shower, already have a hot tub, fire pit is always fun but I go to bed pretty early so I think I would get the most out of a pool.
    Bookmark   August 19, 2013 at 5:25AM
ntrochim
Since I only have 5 feet of space between the back of the house and drop off hill and woods, there is no room for a pool or bar, which I would love to have. A hot tub would be great on the covered patio that is off the walk out basement. Actually, it's a large enough patio for a bar too!!
    Bookmark   August 19, 2013 at 5:29AM
lbernardbuchan
I would love to have a pool. I would love the large water scape view and having the garden around it would be so nice. Sitting outside reading my book and just looking at it would be fantastic. Also since I am dreaming someone else would definitely be cleaning it each week (and opening and closing it).
    Bookmark   August 19, 2013 at 5:29AM
debpatterson
I've been researching this for my small courtyard area in a garden home, and the best of both worlds would be a custom spool... Small enough to maintain the temperature according to the season and large enough for two floats. Salt water of course with a waterfall / fountain feature and some interesting landscaping surrounding it. Better than therapy!!
    Bookmark   August 19, 2013 at 5:41AM
Robin Benson
A pool would create a wonderful family environment for us. It would enable us to a relaxing atmosphere in the exterior of home. It also would be a wonderful place to entertain.
    Bookmark   August 19, 2013 at 5:54AM
sj_ahlers
In my dream I'd have a nice shade tree that doesn't produce apples, and our mound of "landscaping" which is more like a mound of weeds, would be gone. Then I'd be anxious to put in the grill and bar.
    Bookmark   August 19, 2013 at 6:12AM
brandireid1
Outdoor bar, grill, and fire pit beside our pool.
    Bookmark   August 19, 2013 at 6:25AM
kate88books
Our backyard is small and oddly shaped (a wedge on a cul-de-sac). We have a small front porch, a back deck and a patio and like to read, cook, and eat outdoors. I would like more gardens, water features, lighting, and paths to connect the areas. Some privacy screening would help too.
    Bookmark   August 19, 2013 at 6:26AM
wandawing
It would be wonderful to have a fire pit. I would ultimately, love a pit that shares/duplexes with a outdoor kiln. Of course with this I will need weather sustaining furniture and landscaping! My second vote would be a geothermal unit for the interior kiln.
1 Like    Bookmark   August 19, 2013 at 6:28AM
crisgosch
We just need somewhere to relax and get away from it all....so, hot tub would be the ideal addition to our deck!
    Bookmark   August 19, 2013 at 6:40AM
kathryn Campbell
Oh a fire pit to be sure! Being outside people and already owning the pool and hot tub, a pit would keep the day moving into night and be delicious year round. Oh yes indeed, a fire pit!
    Bookmark   August 19, 2013 at 6:47AM
sdidea
i would love to have a hottub but first of all do a pretty the landscaping with privacy fence and trees etc. we just made a rose garden and need to enhance it with other trees and shrubs. We have a bar and grill and a fountain adding the landscape and hottub would be great!!! All this would make a beautiful backyard!
    Bookmark   August 19, 2013 at 6:49AM
heatheromatthews
Definitely the pool. We have a little less than an acre and a pool would be a great addition to the back yard. I know the kiddos and my husband and I would enjoy it A LOT!!!
    Bookmark   August 19, 2013 at 6:53AM
L Behrens
My dream backyard would include a pool, fire pit, grilling area and a deck overlooking the Great Mississippi River. We purchased a major fixer upper and are almost done renovating the interior finally! Our 5 year project house has taken 14 years so far and we are not done yet!!! We've had water damage, a fire in a room that was nearly complete, wind damage to the roof and some major bank erosion due to flooding. Needless to say I just want it to be complete. The outside, well its just a blank canvas. One tree and a makeshift fire pit. Having a place to go to relax would be fantastic!
    Bookmark   August 19, 2013 at 7:05AM
marbab
I would definitely want the pool. Had a pool before and made some great memories with family and friends.
    Bookmark   August 19, 2013 at 7:08AM
willieboy10
I would want the pool but do not have enough room so it would have to be the bar and grill
    Bookmark   August 19, 2013 at 7:22AM
Christy White
My dream backyard would definitely have to include the pool but if it truly a dream then the hot tub and outdoor shower would be a part of it as well as awesome landscaping and a waterfall from the hot tub into the pool. If I'm dreaming, I'm dreaming big!
    Bookmark   August 19, 2013 at 7:23AM
donarabia
I voted in the "Other" category.I would absolutely love to have a greenhouse in my back yard! I use my backyard every single day since I moved from Texas to New York to my old Victorian (built in 1880) 5 months ago.I love flowers and want to be able to grow and give all.....year......long......Dare to Dream!
1 Like    Bookmark   August 19, 2013 at 7:25AM
PARZ Designs
I want a pool! We have the space and it would be the perfect addition!
    Bookmark   August 19, 2013 at 7:28AM
Sigrid
A hammock. So, it's low key, but I have a hot tub which is such a pain to keep up that it's been empty for several years. Plus, it needs privacy --- who wants to change into or out of a bathing suit?
    Bookmark   August 19, 2013 at 8:14AM
gailc1106
Very difficult decision! I went with outdoor shower because we have a pool and an outdoor shower would be great.
    Bookmark   August 19, 2013 at 8:26AM
tempejhawk30
I picked "other" because what I would love is a waterfall. I'm not a pool person, but I would love the sound and tranquility of a cascading waterfall in my back yard. Aaahhh....
1 Like    Bookmark   August 19, 2013 at 8:35AM
Allison Brady
@indianpatti agreed - a pool but only if someone else maintains it :)
1 Like    Bookmark   August 19, 2013 at 9:08AM
shirleysas
POOL, POOL, POOL!

Had one and a tree took it out. Oh no problem we don't use it that much...WRONG!
A blow up is starting to look good.
    Bookmark   August 19, 2013 at 9:14AM
tenalehr
I voted other because I want some type of water feature with maybe a lap pool. Do not want the expense and maintenance of a full pool. My backyard is now a blank slate and a good size with a great view. What I want is the Water Feature, fire pit, contemporary gazebo, vegetable garden and low maintenance colorful planting, and also some citrus trees and an exercise area. That a lot I know but that is my dream.
1 Like    Bookmark   August 19, 2013 at 9:16AM
Shannon Taylor Scarlett, Architects
A fire pit automatically creates a social gathering place, especially in the evening after dinner on a warm evening, or a cool evening... and it's a lot less work than a pool.
1 Like    Bookmark   August 19, 2013 at 9:21AM
Studio M Interior Design
I know the swimming pool is the go-to answer, but I just think an outdoor built-in grill and kitchen would be my must-have! :)
    Bookmark   August 19, 2013 at 9:25AM
Tim Lustig
Shower would be great especially if I had a pool but without the room for a pool my choice would come down to a BBQ or hot tub and while I'd really enjoy a hot tub, the BBQ/bar would get used weekly where a hot tub would probably not get as much use.

I also like the idea of having a patio/wall and fire place being added... Heck, why not all hot tub, fire pit and a BBQ and bar! It would definitely get used!
    Bookmark   August 19, 2013 at 9:28AM
NK Designs LLC
The sound of nature would be a must for a perfect backyard. A backyard is meant to bring us back to nature, to enjoy the outdoors with all of our senses. The cool water of a pool, the warmth of a fire-pit on a cool Northern California night, the tastes and smells from an outdoor kitchen are all great sensory delights for backyards. But I would start with the quiet and stillness of nature: birds calling to each other with real tweeting; croaking bullfrogs from a pond; hooting owls preparing to prowl the night; the song of a loon on a lake in Minnesota or just the stillness and quiet of a windless evening.
1 Like    Bookmark   August 19, 2013 at 9:50AM
Diana Williams
Pool would definitely be my choice, my kids and grandchildren would enjoy it, we call that "Family Fun"
    Bookmark   August 19, 2013 at 10:18AM
buddingrose66
hubby has been dreaming of putting in an outdoor kitchen for a couple years now! (we had a 120 yr .old victorian, and though we did put in a slate patio w/ shelter roof, we didn't add the BBQ/sink/counter area.
now that we've moved into a mid-century modern home (one story instead of three & stucco exterior instead of wood) we'll have more time to get this project going for him! (after we put in the shed and raised garden beds though =)
    Bookmark   August 19, 2013 at 10:20AM
ahunt17
I would love a pool. This Texas heat is sometimes a killer, so a pool would be a nice way to enjoy a little vitamin D!!
    Bookmark   August 19, 2013 at 10:25AM
jazzijan
I voted for the hot tub due to the somewhat strange layout of my backyard not being amenable to a pool, which, in my TRUE dream backyard, would HAVE to be included! lol Built-in water features always add serenity and beauty to a backyard view, and a wonderful, peaceful place to BE!
    Bookmark   August 19, 2013 at 10:42AM
chrisinky
If I were on my dream land with several acres I would say pool. However, we decided to revise our wish list to be more reasonable so the house we just bought in town really doesn't have enough space for a pool . It is in an older neighborhood with established trees & a small back deck. I voted for the outdoor kitchen/grill space. We grill outside as often as possible all summer & into the fall until it just gets too cold to do so. My kids get so excited when we all go outside to grill out. A bigger space for that would make it so much better.
    Bookmark   August 19, 2013 at 11:13AM
rochellefry
Since I don't have the space for a pool, but do love to swim, I am satisfied with my community pool.
My real dream would be to have a beautifully landscaped back yard. We have been in this home for 31 years, and things need replacement and I need lower maintenance . We just completed a new larger deck which is about 4 1/2 ft. off the ground. I just find the gardening job overwhelming.
    Bookmark   August 19, 2013 at 12:04PM
zapmz
A beautiful Fire Pit / Fireplace would be the perfect addition to my backyard. We are blessed enough to have a swimming pool and built in bar/grill (we built the grill area ourselves)... so a Fire Pit would be the perfect addition to take the chill off of the evenings! I can smell the marshmallows roasting already! Hot dogs cooked on sticks and great conversation!
    Bookmark   August 19, 2013 at 12:24PM
Jill
Warm endless pool swim spa with the ability to walk in water for those of us who can't do weight-bearing activities. That would be awesome!
    Bookmark   August 19, 2013 at 12:45PM
gramma907
I seriously just wish I had a real PORCH in my front yard. A BIG porch. We only have a stupid little horrid hateful deck now and I can't tell you how much we still sit there. All the fun is out the front- the play area, the picnic and bonfire area. And we have no nice place to sit and chat and bar b q really. My DREAM is a NICE spacious porch or deck out there.
    Bookmark   August 19, 2013 at 12:53PM
bbrain
Pergola.........with lots of flowering potted plants and great seating areas.
    Bookmark   August 19, 2013 at 1:18PM
kadodi
A Pool is the ultimate dream... To relax, to party, to exercise, .... A pool.
    Bookmark   August 19, 2013 at 1:23PM
dzachry
Swimming pool for exercise and entertain family and friends.
    Bookmark   August 19, 2013 at 1:57PM
Becky Sieghartner
I would love a pool surrounded by our surround deck with a gazebo attached to shade part of the pool and maybe a hot tub under the gazebo as well.
    Bookmark   August 19, 2013 at 1:58PM
oncovet
We have about an acre backyard, which is very wooded. I'd love to have some walking trails with lots of places to sit and enjoy the outdoors, while maintaining some privacy from our neighbors with screening plants, preferably something with flowers!
1 Like    Bookmark   August 19, 2013 at 2:07PM
rhysande
A Japanese-style garden with a water feature and koi pond is my dream.
    Bookmark   August 19, 2013 at 2:22PM
lrbothe
We are foodies and love grilling outdoors. So my vote would be to have an wonderful outdoor kitchen to entertain our friends. We enjoy hosting theme parties and love to have our friends over to enjoy wine and great food. I throw everything on the grill including pizza. I have a great patio and backyard, just missing a wonderful outdoor kitchen,
    Bookmark   August 19, 2013 at 2:35PM
valhunt1
I would love a hot tub because my husband and I are retired and would really enjoy using it.
    Bookmark   August 19, 2013 at 3:02PM
hunie
I have a pool, a grill and a firepit. What I would love to have is a very nice water feature on the side of the house that has nothing or even in the front. Yes I think the front would be nice. Anyway water trickling through rocks has such a soothing sound. It would be a nice area to sit and relax and unwind.
    Bookmark   August 19, 2013 at 3:32PM
oliviasofia
I DON'T HAVE A POOL, FIREPIT, OR A GRILL, AND A DECK IN PROGRESS. ( MY HUSBAND IS DOING IT.) WE HAVE 2 ACRE'S AND A BEAUTIFUL STREAM. i THINK A BAR & A GRILL WOULD BE A GREAT START FOR A FABULOUS BACK YARD. WE'RE JUST GETTING STARTED ON OUR YARD AND THIS WOULD BE A GREAT ADDITION AND START. THANKS SO MUCH
    Bookmark   August 19, 2013 at 4:01PM
laurav507
All of the above! We need a yard crash haha! I voted for the pool. Outside of Chicago we only have a few months to enjoy it but in-ground with a heater would extend those dog days of summer for us!
    Bookmark   August 19, 2013 at 4:06PM
masagroup
would love a beautiful out door grill. We enjoy grilling and being outdoors. my grilling area certainly could use some improvement. I can picture my back yard with this beautiful outdoor kitchen
    Bookmark   August 19, 2013 at 4:24PM
Jennifer Smith
The pool was my vote. But not just any pool. We have discussed putting a cocktail pool so we can still have some backyard. The landscaping has to come with a hammock for relaxing.
    Bookmark   August 19, 2013 at 4:35PM
mabhe
I would love a walled garden complete with lots of cozy places to cuddle paths for romantic strolling and fountains,waterfalls, just like my Gr.Gr. Grandmother had at her home which still has its walled garden.Here is a picture of Maple Lawn Estate, Ottawa,On.,Canada
    Bookmark   August 19, 2013 at 5:31PM
Design By Pisces
My vote the hot tub whether it be a claw-foot tub or a hot tub noting feels so romantic and peaceful then glazing at the stars from the water . In any season this would complement my back yard in so many ways to enjoy as friends and family and 4 legged k9s waiting for you to go back into the home
    Bookmark   August 19, 2013 at 5:33PM
feasterme
An outdoor kitchen seems to add more additional space for entertaining. I also enjoy sitting out on my patio with family eating BBQ!
    Bookmark   August 19, 2013 at 6:16PM
Erica Gorycki
Love our shady outdoor area - would love to have a hot tub and out door kitchen !!!
    Bookmark   August 19, 2013 at 6:26PM
Cynthia Spurlock
My dream would be to have a true garden. There would be a winding pathway that led to different rooms. One room would house a fire pit area that was on a concrete pad with a water system. During the summer months it would be a place for Grandchildren to play in water then in the fall a place for roasting marshmallows. The path would then meander to a secret garden room. This garden room
would be full of flowers to cut and a very small pond for frogs, lizards, and fairies to play. My dream would be to create a magic garden in my very hot, gnat, and mosquito infested Southwest Georgia yard.
    Bookmark   August 19, 2013 at 6:52PM
Tabitha Robinson
MY dream is a sauna and bar an grill I deserve a Break!!!! I deserve a Dream Back yard....I deserve!!!!
    Bookmark   August 19, 2013 at 7:35PM
catrinka64
Would love the pool..everyone in our neighborhood has one but us!!!
    Bookmark   August 19, 2013 at 7:50PM
vinehillhouse
Our backyard fire pit brings back memories of childhood family camping trips complete with s'more and sing a longs. It really brings the family together. Ours is a store bought fire pit but the future holds a back yard make over with something more permanent. I look to all the wonderful ideas on Houzz for inspiration.
    Bookmark   August 19, 2013 at 8:18PM
dbrisonye
A pool need it in sc withlandscaping
    Bookmark   August 19, 2013 at 8:49PM
marjie1059
Landscaping and playhouse...I don't know how to best deal (with virtually no money) with so much shade, how to put steps into my hill (and more hill...and more hill), but I really don't know how to build a playhouse for my grandchildren. Long to have a playhouse for them like we had growing up...simple, plain, but so much fun until my sisters thought they were too big for it and wouldn't play anymore.
    Bookmark   August 19, 2013 at 9:54PM
Deb Matay
I would LOVE a pool! We"ve wanted one for a long time but other needs keep eating up the budget
    Bookmark   August 19, 2013 at 9:56PM
verichavez
Outdoor kitchen. I would use that more than any of the other features in my backyard. Also, I grew up with a pool and it was a pain to maintain.
    Bookmark   August 19, 2013 at 10:31PM
trouble9
I voted for "other" -- my dream back yard would include a landscaping overhaul and adding a sprinkler system, with a "pool house" style cabin - the kind with a covered porch area. The cabin could be a guest house/yoga room. I have a huge back yard - with 3 distinctly different areas. One should be set up for raised vegetable gardens. The main area needs to have an ancient rock wall removed since it runs right through the middle of the lawn; and a sprinkler system and raised flower beds installed where there's sunlight! This main area is where I'd put the pool house style cabin. And finally, the third area just needs shady landscaping plants and a crushed rock pathway through the shade garden.
    Bookmark   August 20, 2013 at 12:03AM
rockney
Outdoor kitchen would be wonderful, my husband and i have worked so hard to finally get into our own home next year to be able to add an outdoor kitchen would be such a blessing for us. We both love the outdoors and to have a space to eat and serve family and friends in that space would be the iceing on our cake.
Nicole Azocar
    Bookmark   August 20, 2013 at 12:31AM
nancykikuko
I would love to have a nice swinning pool, however where we live there are not so many sunny days, so this is why I voted for OTHER, as I would definately have an outdoor SAUNA on our backyard as the #1 feature, afterwards we could have a hot tub, a shower and other things =)
    Bookmark   August 20, 2013 at 2:33AM
sony75
As others said, I wish I could vote more than once ! My First choice would be the shower cause this sounds special to me. I'm moving in our new house in a few weeks and the backyard is a white sheet for the moment. Planning on having a pool but the shower would be a nice gift !
    Bookmark   August 20, 2013 at 3:06AM
lindaabromitis
My favorite feature would be a pool. I already have a pool and after
30 years, we desperately need to revamp the entire area. So, i am meeting with a pool designer next week to come up with
A ,more glamorous pool and equally important, the space surrounding it. My children are grown now but our pool was the center of our world when they were at home. We were the neighborhood hangout which gave me a lot of quality time with my kids and their friends as well .
Now, I have 2 grandsons (3 & 7 months) and I want a fresh start rather than try to do the necessary cosmetic fixes in phases. My oldest grandson just learned to swim this summer and I would love him to want to enjoy coming to our home with his friends.
Water has always been very soothing to me and I love sitting by the pool early in the mornings before work. It's a great stress reliever and takes my mind to vacation mode instantly.
If all goes as I plan, there will be a fire pit and outdoor kitchen but if not, I'll be thrilled with a gorgeous new pool. It has been the heart of our home.
1 Like    Bookmark   August 20, 2013 at 3:33AM
raven01
It would have to be the bar and grill. It's creating a room in the garden, combining the best of inside, outside! I have young kids who would live outside if they could, a place to cook, eat, clean up, entertain. An adult space, a family space, just ideal.
    Bookmark   August 20, 2013 at 4:00AM
karenfaith25
We have overgrown trees and shed in yard. The weather get nice in the south and would like to spend more of my time relaxing and enjoying being outside. I envision a pool, whirlpool, fire put and outdoor kitchen. Yes I'm moving my indoors to the outdoors.
    Bookmark   August 20, 2013 at 4:07AM
ozzienyc
Definitely a pool. It's a great outlet for family an especially the kids. Nice to be able to jump in the pool after a lousy day at work. What about a pool/hot tub combo?
    Bookmark   August 20, 2013 at 6:10AM
Linda
Water feature...maybe a fountain by itself or a fountain with a koi pond...OK, since this is the dream backyard...small stream with waterfall into a koi pond with an outdoor swing or comfy bench
    Bookmark   August 20, 2013 at 6:24AM
rosebud3
My dream backyard feature is really simple, but difficult to have here in the mountains of New Mexico. And with two dogs.

I would love to have a lush green grass lawn.
1 Like    Bookmark   August 20, 2013 at 6:51AM
Shakúff
All of the above!
    Bookmark   August 20, 2013 at 8:04AM
donna1111
New home...new flat dirt lawn....would love flowers, trees, landscaping but spent the money on the house so it will take some time.
    Bookmark   August 20, 2013 at 8:21AM
tenalehr
That is where I am at as well. But it gives us plenty of time to figure out what we really want
    Bookmark   August 20, 2013 at 8:26AM
peyton8
Absolutely the pool. I dream of the day my family (including the dogs) can all summer long relaxing in something so beautiful!
    Bookmark   August 20, 2013 at 8:44AM
lcrannell
I would love something like a porch attached to my mudroom so that one side of my house made "sense". It would need a path along the raised bed gardens for access and that would be so nice because I have friends that cannot access the house but with a nicely graded path their scooter's could come up to the porch and into the mudroom and then into our house. Plus, a porch is a New England must. Just like a fireplace or wood stove for the winter, it makes a home "just right" for the summer.

If I could really dream the porch would wrap around the front of my house and make sense of the side that faces the driveway since that is odd with a walk-out basement in the "front". That part of the porch would, in my dream, have wonderful steps with landings and planters so that the trip up was not just a steep climb and the walk-out part of the front was disguised a bit.

Isn't it wonderful to dream. . .
    Bookmark   August 20, 2013 at 8:59AM
andrewsc0429
I would love, not let me say it this way... I would LOVE a nice hot tub. A solice in my backyard where I can relax. A place where I can enjoy alone or with friends. It would also be nice to have a fire feature back there also as fire and water are an awsome pair.
    Bookmark   August 20, 2013 at 9:04AM
heathermarie07
A fire pit would extend my family's use of our backyard once it gets colder. I also have visions of my girls roasting marshmallows and everyone just talking around a fire. That's a great dream!!
    Bookmark   August 20, 2013 at 9:10AM
rosebud3
Linda Doyle, I am so sorry for all your heartache. I hope a rainbow comes to you soon.
1 Like    Bookmark   August 20, 2013 at 9:20AM
jennieb420
I would love to have an outdoor bar and grill. We just bought our first house and its not very large for entertaining. We have a huge backyard and the outdoor bar and grill would make a great space to hang with family and friends.
    Bookmark   August 20, 2013 at 9:24AM
2wheelsrbetter
Koi pond with a nice waterfall feature would get my vote.
    Bookmark   August 20, 2013 at 9:27AM
rosebud3
Flowers73, you have been given way too many challenges for one person in one lifetime.
1 Like    Bookmark   August 20, 2013 at 9:27AM
Hester Wagner
Hot tub! Therapy in your backyard:)
    Bookmark   August 20, 2013 at 9:36AM
shilpisharmapatel
They are amazing and serve to enhance my backyard. However, if i absolutely had to choose i would choose a pool. I have young kids and the 2nd habitat would be the pool. A pool is something we can use now and at age 4, 8, 18 and at age 28, 38, so on and so forth. Its one of these features which would center our backyard.
    Bookmark   August 20, 2013 at 10:15AM
David Harkey
I would add a covered patio to my existing patio structure to allow an alternative living space extension for our home.
    Bookmark   August 20, 2013 at 10:38AM
ljm55
My dream is to have a swim spa that is enclosed against bugs in the summer and snow in the winter. I would love to be able to look through a sky light and see the stars.
    Bookmark   August 20, 2013 at 12:37PM
mimi1980
I chose other. I live in sunny AZ and with small children, and pool would be ideal.... But I'd have to go with great splash pad, made to be able to use as a wonderful water feature, when the kids gets older!
    Bookmark   August 20, 2013 at 12:51PM
psrmc
I would love a beautiful water fountain, European style.
    Bookmark   August 20, 2013 at 2:03PM
leighw
I would truly love an outdoor kitchen, or a fire-pit, or just anything to make my backyard inviting to family and friends. I love entertaining outdoors, but mosquitos abound and make entertaining a real problem. I'd adore a screened porch area off my family room with new doors to fold inward and make it all flow together!
    Bookmark   August 20, 2013 at 2:53PM
msamb1
Formal herb garden with running water to feed the body and soothe the spirit.
    Bookmark   August 20, 2013 at 3:06PM
kgrahi
Swimming pools, fire pits, barbecues are all wonderful additions to a backyard, but my dream feature is a great seating/conversation area. I would love to be able to fill my backyard with the best feature of all- friends and family!
    Bookmark   August 20, 2013 at 3:13PM
ozzyjude
Since we are only in the process of building our little retirement home we have not done any landscaping. However we do have dreams for our acreage in British Columbia, Canada which will include a sauna ( for my husband) and I would add agazebo like structure with an outdoor fire pit in the centre and seating around it where friends and family can sit to chat till them embers die down. Bite of heaven!
    Bookmark   August 20, 2013 at 4:24PM
Campbell Window and Door
Although these are purely climate driven decisions......the bbq and grill is useful in most areas of the country at some point in the year. Also, a great thing to have in power outages for cooking.
As far as my pick for a feature.....A fully edible, smellable or pickable garden. Is smellable even a word??? Well I say this, If I cant eat it or cook with it, if the flowers aren't fragrant I won't water it. Thats means you... little green lawn. :)))
    Bookmark   August 20, 2013 at 4:32PM
annemariekelley
We love grilling pizza over fire. Everyone makes their own and its so fun.
    Bookmark   August 20, 2013 at 5:37PM
Jane Batten
Living in Wisconsin really makes a pool a hard sell... We only have about 12 pool-worthy weeks each year. Although my three "littles" would love a pool, I would love to have a squire complete with a hobbit hole to boot! We currently have a fairy garden "growing" in the woodland garden, but how cool would it be to build a cozy little hobbit house into the hill behind the house where the kids could imagine the day away? Meandering foot paths through a magical garden filled with beds of flowering shrubs, ferns, hosta, a waterfall... And a place for Momma to sit and enjoy a cup of coffee and a good book before my babies are up and off to college! Yep, that is a dream backyard in my world!
    Bookmark   August 20, 2013 at 9:04PM
marypalestrant
Of course the built in bar and grill would have a fire pit. It gets cold here after the sun goes down.
1 Like    Bookmark   August 20, 2013 at 9:33PM
Angie Clark
Who can resist a dip in a pool? Having a pool is something the whole family would enjoy, young and old alike. Having a pool would be a dream come true.
    Bookmark   August 20, 2013 at 9:45PM
partychristianson
A hot tub! That would be fun for us.
    Bookmark   August 21, 2013 at 7:59AM
dgermann
I don't have a big enough yard or else I'd say pool, but a hot tub is a great way to unwind and a cool place to have a little get together with friends after a long week
    Bookmark   August 21, 2013 at 8:52AM
Vicki Mishevich
I would love a pool, but I would get more use of the built in in this climate
    Bookmark   August 21, 2013 at 9:00AM
Christy Dollard
A fire pit so we can roast marshmallows with our kids on cool fall nights.
    Bookmark   August 21, 2013 at 9:09AM
wjaime
great idea for people and dogs alike!
    Bookmark   August 21, 2013 at 9:27AM
Venus Strunk Butcher
As much as my husband and I would love the outdoor jacuzzi, I'd have to say my dream backyard would be in ground pool! I've always wanted a pool....the kids want a pool and love to swim! I want my home to be a fun and friendly environment for my 10yo son and 8 yo daughter and they're friends! I want my home to be a place their friends want to come and know they're welcome to hang out in a loving safe environment! That way, my kids aren't off places I don't know about or their friends or parents! I'm on a mission to get there...., and Houzz would give us that boost with this!! :)
    Bookmark   August 21, 2013 at 9:46AM
sashablue3
I vote for the grill and bar area!!! I grew up with parents who loved I cook and try new things! Friends and family always got together to eat and entertain! So many memories of picnics and parties all while enjoying the company of others and enjoying a fabulous meal!!!
    Bookmark   August 21, 2013 at 9:50AM
shburch
all though i would LOVE to have a hot tub, i have ALWAYS dreamed of having a pool... swimming is the best thing to do on a hot summer day but its a pain to go to a public pool where there are lots of people and you have to pay to get in... it would be a dream come true to have a nice pool right outside your door!
    Bookmark   August 21, 2013 at 9:51AM
rozamccartan
definitely the bbq grill/bar area. Would like a pool but not enough room!
    Bookmark   August 21, 2013 at 9:54AM
zimmerg
Grow your own vegetables in the backlog is a fun activities for the whole families. I don't want my backyard to look like farm land, so need to design a good looking veg. garden with multiple tiers and decorative walls.
    Bookmark   August 21, 2013 at 10:03AM
Jeza
Grill and bar area, my husband and I enjoy cooking and being outdoors. A great space for entertaining friends and family is on my wish list! It would definitely be my go to place to relax and chill.
    Bookmark   August 21, 2013 at 10:09AM
ececarcitect
Definitely a built in bar and grill area to entertain guests and eat delicious food :)))))
    Bookmark   August 21, 2013 at 10:23AM
Creative Kitchen Spaces
A fire pit or fireplace would be my dream addition as it is wonderful to sit at the end of the day with a glass of wine and good friends and relax
    Bookmark   August 21, 2013 at 11:09AM
betsygc
Built-in Bar & Grill Would Be Heavenly :)
    Bookmark   August 21, 2013 at 11:33AM
Nina Bevels Thompson
Pool - Would love swimming before work and relaxing in the evenings.
    Bookmark   August 21, 2013 at 1:20PM
originalcaroline
I never had a hot tub. Enjoyed swimming in the pool as a kid, but I would have loved a hot tub attached!!
    Bookmark   August 21, 2013 at 1:49PM
silversparrow
Bar and grill as I spend a lot of time out on the deck with the children and grandchildren...being a single woman who never did cook well, I have found it easier to cook on a grill outdoors, much easier!
    Bookmark   August 21, 2013 at 1:57PM
suebhoney
Living in Florida coupled with my love of gardening and being outside necessitates a pool! I couldn't live without ours and it allows us to cool off quickly. I love getting up early to water and feed my plants and flowers then lounging in the pool gazing at our beautiful yard and the lovely space we created...our little private corner of the world!
    Bookmark   August 21, 2013 at 2:21PM
Kathy Schindewolf
It was really hard to pick one! My back yard has none of these items done well. I have a gas grill, a fire ring and a table. No shade, no pool, no shower, no water feature. Plus I have no decorator genes! So anything would help!
    Bookmark   August 21, 2013 at 2:49PM
smithharriett
A pool would be a dream for all my family (grown children). I pool sit for a neighbor and during that time we come together and play and spend quality time. Also, doctors have recommended water exercises for one daughter and me due to back problems.
    Bookmark   August 21, 2013 at 3:15PM
marilynsr
We recently bought a home in Cincinnati, Ohio. The potential for a great backyard living space is there, but with all the TLC we put inside the home, there's very little $ left to do anything with the outside. We've already moved 5 cords of very old firewood out of the backyard, cut down some dead trees, and killed off poison ivy and English ivy that had been growing like wildfire for several years. Many overgrown herbs and plants are being thinned by us, and the picture of the grill and bar look SO inviting! Might I add we are in our early 60's, and work in short spurts? Haha!
    Bookmark   August 21, 2013 at 3:27PM
Cherie Morton
Pool, pool, pool- with some sort of sand nearby
    Bookmark   August 21, 2013 at 5:18PM
sstarr93
We have a really simple, well primitive, outdoor shower. It's something you can get away with in Vermont... I'd love a nice one.
    Bookmark   August 21, 2013 at 5:20PM
whitlinder
I would love a fire pit! You can use that year around. On top of that it adds a beautiful feature to the yard!!
    Bookmark   August 21, 2013 at 5:23PM
cmacpumpkin
Nothing beats sitting around a fire pit with friends on a fall evening!
    Bookmark   August 21, 2013 at 5:26PM
Kate
My dream would be the built in bar and BBQ. Our backyard is one of my favorite spaces. We have a pool and we mounted a tv under the covered porch. Our friends come over to watch football and when the redskins score all of the guys jump in the pool. (Not me, I'm a Ravens fan!) so many memories in the backyard with friends and family.
    Bookmark   August 21, 2013 at 5:30PM
noraoncody
We're about to buy a place and start from scratch. So I want some very basic things: a hammock, a shaded seating area, some string lights, mountains of flowers. If we're dreaming, one thing for me - a fireplace (not pit) - and one for the kids - a treehouse.
    Bookmark   August 21, 2013 at 5:46PM
sweedman
I have a large family including 9 grandchildren and one of the things that we enjoy most is being together. Swimming is a great way to spend time together having fun without spending a fortune! We have just moved to a home with no neighborhood pool but have a great space for our own pool! We purchased an older home and updating most everything, and a professional makeover on the backyard would be incredible!!!
    Bookmark   August 21, 2013 at 7:01PM
kustombuilt
A deck,with a swimming pool built in,would be the ultimate summer hangout. I could grill while I watch the kids have a blast in the pool!
    Bookmark   August 21, 2013 at 7:17PM
maureenhoff
I love all of these but a fire pit would be easiest for us to install. We love relaxing with family so this would be a perfect addition to the yard!
    Bookmark   August 21, 2013 at 7:21PM
gastrasser
I have two teen fire crazy sons who would love this and it would be perfect to have this at home.
    Bookmark   August 21, 2013 at 7:23PM
marylynn61
A built in bar and grill would be a great outdoor gathering place for family and friends to enjoy time together and great food.
    Bookmark   August 21, 2013 at 7:28PM
Specialty Air Inc.
I would love have all of them, but the due to space restrictions I would like to have Outdoor shower, Built-in Bar and Grill and the Hot tub to relax.
    Bookmark   August 21, 2013 at 7:56PM
tamiu
some type of water feature water fall or water fountain anything with water except for a pool. this is colorado and upkeep would be difficult!
    Bookmark   August 21, 2013 at 8:05PM
Dana Jones_Potter
We love sitting in the backyard watching the kids and dog play! A pool would just add to the fun and relaxation!:)
    Bookmark   August 21, 2013 at 8:32PM
sbombela
Since I live here in the High Desert. I would love to see this dream pool in the back yard.
    Bookmark   August 21, 2013 at 8:36PM
suentom
Would def add an in-ground pool to our backyard, as never having had one, I would love for my kids to enjoy growing up with one
    Bookmark   August 21, 2013 at 8:39PM
banjoqueen
I have two beloved feline housemates. They live indoors and I would like to provide a safe outdoor space for them. A custom made catio would be wonderful. It would go from my screened in deck and connect various cat stops in the backyard with an enclosed cat run. Please and thank you so much.
    Bookmark   August 21, 2013 at 9:03PM
AlohaMainers C
I'd rather have one if those outdoor living rooms that's covered over the top but open on the sides so you can even go out in rain. You know, with a fireplace and seating and even an entertainment system (movies al fresco)!
    Bookmark   August 21, 2013 at 10:09PM
hillarey
We use our back yard to entertain our kids mostly but I would love to have a place for adults to relax as well and the fire pit would be the perfect solution!
    Bookmark   August 22, 2013 at 9:54AM
Rose
When I first commented on this page my sign on was Flowers73, I had not yet completed my profile. My name is Rose, this is a picture of my big sister and I when we were younger! I use this picture a lot because I lost he in a car accident 22 years ago today. She was just two years older than me, and she was my heart. But the reason for my comment today is to say thank you to the very sweet responses and all the likes that I have received on my first comment. It is such a reassuring feeling knowing that there are so many caring people out there since we now live among "the me" generation. Thank you again and wish you much luck in winning. God repays kindness ten fold, and I know his eyes are smiling on you. Flowers73
    Bookmark   August 22, 2013 at 10:38AM
sarj81
I'll take all of the above plus a screened in area to get away from the Mosquitos!!
    Bookmark   August 22, 2013 at 10:42AM
lorricav
The outdoor bar and grill is a must! We put an outdoor kitchen in 2 years ago and pretty much live outside in the summer and fall. In our family, the kitchen is the place everyone congregates and it's nice to have the option of being outside and cooking while family/guests enjoy the beautiful weather!
    Bookmark   August 22, 2013 at 9:05PM
vietqt
Water features are ideal for outdoor space! I would love to have a pool!
    Bookmark   August 22, 2013 at 9:19PM
Abby Garcia
The outdoor bar and grill is perfect for entertaining! And we love to do so!
    Bookmark   August 22, 2013 at 9:28PM
frchgrl
We enjoy the company of friends and great food and drinks in our back yard even though it can feel like we're camping. Definitely needs some decor and brown grass to green. We enjoy ourselves nonetheless , but oh how an outdoor lounge with lush landscape would be a dream!
    Bookmark   August 22, 2013 at 11:22PM
Ieva Avota
We want to build our home, but possibly there will be no hearth inside, so I got idea to have it oustide. But i hope it to be not only warm when the fire burns but also later. So it should give warmth like nethelands tiled stowe or similar.
    Bookmark   August 23, 2013 at 1:31AM
Diana Williams
I have always dreamed of having a pool in the back yard, the whole family would enjoy it.
    Bookmark   August 23, 2013 at 3:26AM
lopingel
My kids would love a pool!
    Bookmark   August 23, 2013 at 7:28AM
daypou
II have a small Florida cottage on the beach, in Panama city Fl and I woul love to have a nice a tropical style outdoor shower . No more sand and dust inside right now I only have a faucet on a cement slab, UGLY
    Bookmark   August 23, 2013 at 10:24AM
hunterjames
I would love to see a pool here, as long as it was heated (andcame witha pool boy!) I have a hot tub we use constantly; my greatest challenge is landscaping in general. My parents, who built this house, didn't really understand that landscaping is a very important part of a finished home. Right now it looks like the Joads drove up and dropped off their stuff all over our property. It's hideous! When the first thing you see as you drive up is a tarp-covered motor home, it is difficult to have any function or party other than a ho-down!
For this contest, I'll say a pool, as long as it could be covered with an acrylic dance floor. Otherwise, I'd love to see a junk removal truck show up and clean us out, then focus on landscaping and lighting.
    Bookmark   August 23, 2013 at 2:11PM
susano02
I'm seriously jonesing for a pool for our cabin in the Texas Hill Country. It's so hot for so long, and with the massive drought the lakes are drying up. I would love a place to take a dip and cool off on a 100+ day.
    Bookmark   August 23, 2013 at 2:41PM
Nicola Tan
Built in BBQ I'd a dream for us.. We love hanging out in the backyard...But first thing is for us to have a covered patio as we didnt have it in our new house...
    Bookmark   August 23, 2013 at 2:57PM
wolffmob
Water will complete the five elements of fire wood metal earth
    Bookmark   August 23, 2013 at 3:08PM
kimbers1
I would love to have a professional landscaper come to my home and redo my backyard to compliment my already pool and fire pit.
    Bookmark   August 23, 2013 at 8:11PM
standinginline
I love to sit someplace comfortable and look out at the view from my backyard : )
    Bookmark   August 23, 2013 at 8:26PM
moirav
A covered outdoor room with pizza oven/fireplace combo would be perfection.
    Bookmark   August 23, 2013 at 8:28PM
Julie Smart Koob, REALTOR
I love sitting around the firepit on chilly fall evenings! The kids love warming the marshmallows for s'mores! And you can't beat great conversation with friends!!
    Bookmark   August 24, 2013 at 4:32AM
gabdam
I don't remember ever NOT wanting a pool.
    Bookmark   August 24, 2013 at 5:14AM
ninipt
It gives a whole new dimension to the fact that open plans are great to entertain, doesn't it?
    Bookmark   August 24, 2013 at 8:47AM
klmroc
I would love a pool with an entertainment space. I think that out of your choices in your poll, the pool also adds more value to your home.
    Bookmark   August 24, 2013 at 8:59AM
Anitra Daley
We are in the process of buying our first home and while the yard is huge its also has no real direction we would live some help making it a outdoor sanctuary.
    Bookmark   August 24, 2013 at 9:26AM
tyggerzmom
I would like a pond with a waterfall. And, maybe a seating area built around it.
    Bookmark   August 24, 2013 at 12:24PM
houzzhome
Half of my backyard does not get enough sun which means grass does not do well. Kids would enjoy bocce ball alley, basketball hoop and a small organic vegetable garden on our tiered slope - keeping in mind we have hungry raccoons, skunks, squirrels, gofers, abound.
    Bookmark   August 24, 2013 at 12:42PM
chefjade
All of the above?
    Bookmark   August 24, 2013 at 8:09PM
skantola
My yard is not huge, but a pool would be my dream. Fire pit and hot tub are second
    Bookmark   August 25, 2013 at 7:51AM
Sara Santiso
Would love to put a pool in our backyard. We have the space but I dread the thought of months of construction.
    Bookmark   August 25, 2013 at 8:03AM
stylingranny
Had a pool, and it was great - a resort at home. However, the pool-and-yard help grew up and got on with their lives, so now we are in little patio home. Some kind of dedicated prep and serve area would be ideal, instead of toting everything from the kitchen and back.
    Bookmark   August 25, 2013 at 4:25PM
mcdonam
Without hesitation, an in-ground pool would make my dream come true! My family is very active with soccer. Our children, 6 & 8 have amazing energy and have been asking for a pool. I want to be the house they and their friends want to be at...I can only imagine what memories we could make!
    Bookmark   August 25, 2013 at 6:03PM
bevardo
I have worked very hard to create my own garden paradise which does NOT include a pool and all the hard work it takes to maintain it. I love intimacy and a feeling of being in touch with nature - lots of beautiful shrubs, flowers, birds, butterflies! My husband and I truly enjoy entertaining in our backyard with family BBQ's, dinners with friends, etc. We are able to take deep breaths and relax in our garden. During the winter we count the hours until we're back in the yard with lots of company!
    Bookmark   August 26, 2013 at 2:36PM
Comforts of Home
Screened back porch:)
    Bookmark   August 26, 2013 at 2:38PM
jozare
I was hoping for an "all of the above" button!
    Bookmark   August 26, 2013 at 2:40PM
Jeannie Nguyen
Congratulations to JAC Design for winning our Dream Backyard Feature poll! If you missed out on this one, you still have a chance to win on our Style Poll! There's still a few days left, put in your comments now! http://www.houzz.com/discussions/619482/Comment-for-a-chance-to-win--POLL--What-s
1 Like    Bookmark   August 28, 2013 at 10:41AM
spencerbetz
susanmarie4 .... I'm going to your house! And, I'll bring the wine, pine needles AND bark!
    Bookmark   August 31, 2013 at 5:04AM
Alison Marks
Adirondack chairs, birdbath, herb pots and ready to plant flowering colour. I'm loving my courtyard garden on the first day of spring!!
    Bookmark   August 31, 2013 at 5:33PM
designideas4me
spring? where do you live?
    Bookmark   August 31, 2013 at 5:49PM
Holgan Land Surveying, PC
Oh how I wish it were the first day of spring where I live, instead this weekend is officially the last weekend in our summer season. We've had a wonderful spring and summer renovating our inground swimming pool originally installed in the 80's, and turning our property into a true respite. Still finishing our "backyard awakening" finally after almost 30 years! Feel very Blessed
    Bookmark   August 31, 2013 at 8:18PM
Holgan Land Surveying, PC
I'm thrilled with the fountains my husband installed in the garden along the pool's waters edge. And we also had what we call " a volcano" installed by our pool contractor in the floors center of the shallow end. Its a blower, that makes the water very turbulent.. which turns the pool into similiar to a jacuzzi . We have a gas heater and love keeping the water at a consistant temp of 85.. some times warmer.. it's wonderful. Our yard for all the years we were here.. since the middle 80's has really been a mess.. and it seemed there were always other priorities,..Many people have a long term plan when it comes to their property, and yes.. that is the smartest way to achieve a beautiful yard that suits ones own individual needs and also easier on the pocket book. But because we never took the action, but had the vision for a long time.. we decided to take the dreams,,visions and nearly 30 years worth of them, and begin and complete our whole property in 4 seasons. ..We started in the fall of last year, having to put a few weeks on hold because of super storm sandy and completed our pool at the end of october. Then in the spring we had all our paving done, and then the fun part started for my husband and me. We met with 3 different landscapers, and realized that we were not going to be satisfied with what they planned on doing for ALOT of money so we have done it all ourselves from design to choosing the plantings, creating the beds and having many yards of soil and sweet pete delivered.. it has been so very satisfying. We created beds all along the perimeter, fence line which had nothing but fencing and is now beautiful with Leyland Cypress, Criptimeria , Cedars, Crepe Myrtles, skip Laurels. As well as making "living rooms" where we can decide at the moment what setting we feel like experiencing. In one corner is a "reflection room" where we can sit a reflect on our day and all that we are grateful for.. I can't think of any place else that I'd rather be..I love my property. and feel so calm as soon as I come into my yard.My husband is a Land Surveyor and works so hard.. it gives me such joy to see him enjoying something that he has worked so hard for. I have a wonderful self contained infra red heat sauna for my Massage Therapy practice.. by the end of the fall, we will be installing an outdoor, hot/cold shower and deciding where we can work the sauna into our property.
    Bookmark   August 31, 2013 at 8:30PM
Holgan Land Surveying, PC
below is a before and after. In the before picture, you can see where the kayaks are is where the waters edge garden and jets are...
1 Like    Bookmark   August 31, 2013 at 9:12PM
thewhovian2000
I would want to have one of those pools with special features
    Bookmark   September 30, 2013 at 11:06AM
willieboy10
since we are building a house in Oregon right now and we are getting record rain fall we currently have a mud pit and nature made swimming pool, we use our out door space for relaxing with friends and family so right now any or all of the above would be great
    Bookmark   September 30, 2013 at 11:21AM
karelina
A new pond for my koi with a waterfall and something to keep them safe from the ##$^$%%^*@* raccoons!
    Bookmark   April 28, 2014 at 1:35PM
kariggz
All of the above!
    Bookmark   May 2, 2014 at 3:35PM
viviandr
I want a swim spa 4.5' deep.
    Bookmark   May 2, 2014 at 4:49PM
viviandr
I want a swim spa 5' deep
    Bookmark   May 2, 2014 at 4:49PM
Barbara Roe
What an amazing idea and you must be enjoying that since you finally got it done.
    Bookmark   May 3, 2014 at 12:53AM
silversparrow
an outdoor cooking area...entertain a lot and have a beautiful hilltop with lovely breezes
    Bookmark   May 5, 2014 at 12:52PM
yananlin15
To swim!!!
    Bookmark   May 7, 2014 at 5:42PM
a small waterfall and pond

Bookmark   May 7, 2014 at 5:49PM
rickinvancouver
My "other" backyard priority? Stunning night lighting in a Japanese garden, accompanied by a stunning fire "wall" and great, new Age music. And friends/lovers, of course!
    Bookmark   September 22, 2014 at 4:35AM
js72455
Screened porch, secret garden, and beautifully lighted landscape (just a few up-lights for bushes and trees, and lights up in a couple of trees for moonlight effect).
    Bookmark   September 24, 2014 at 4:49PM
willieboy10
still building our house but it's getting closer we have gas ready to go for outdoor built-in bbq and is wired for a hot tub but what I would really love is for someone to come landscape our yard before the rains come otherwise we will have a mud pit:-(
    Bookmark   September 25, 2014 at 3:20PM
Interior Affairs -- Vickie Daeley
California says pool!
    Bookmark   September 27, 2014 at 6:34PM
zazfuzzroc
Not to be greedy, but I want 'em all!!!! :) I think outdoor shower is at the top of the list. Sounds great to me. :)
    Bookmark   September 27, 2014 at 7:22PM
POLL: Cat person vs. Dog person
The people we choose to share our homes with are a...
POLL: Remodeling Must-Do's!
When you start to plan your remodeling project, what...
Houzz Polls
POLL: Would you choose the same home again?
Now that you know your home as well as you do.... ...
POLL: Modern or Traditional Backyard?
Which of these backyards calls out to you? Would you...
POLL: What project phase are you on?
Whether you are just in the dreaming phase or are mid...
Please help completing my great room
It is a very bare space at the moment as I have focused...
Stefanie
design help please!
Hi I will be moving into a new SMALL place! Talk...
Sherri Webber
Outdoor Countertop Help
Stainless grill with paver grill area, what would you...
pamnryan
What color curtain looks better?
I'm confused on what color curtain to keep.
rosem55
Help with dining room?
New construction this is a phot of our dining room,...
bailey510