Ugly cracker box

niclyn2011August 16, 2013
How could this building be transformed to look a bit more appealing on the outside?
purehome
Your building just needs some texture! Maybe paint the garage doors red, place wood shingles halfway up, and paint the top half white with navy trim. This would look gorgeous! Navy shutters as well...
1 Like    Bookmark   August 16, 2013 at 11:49AM
Alexander F. Marshall
Change the Colors . Colors makes a big difference, Change the shingles to charcoal . Add a bigger overhang.
You could add a nice designed balcony on the front and cut French doors were the windows are. OR add a trellis above the garage doors with four posts on the ends and between the doors. You could also continue the trellis around the side of the house and break up that space . You could also add a patio or deck to to the side of the building, At the very least you can trim out your windows and accent them with color.
1 Like    Bookmark   August 16, 2013 at 12:02PM
Alexander F. Marshall
And add trim to your garage doors and accent with color.
    Bookmark   August 16, 2013 at 12:09PM
DMH DESIGN
Niclyn--There are a couple of ways to approach this, one means is a facelift and the second, a more involved redesign. If your solution needs to be budget conscious, I would suggest removing the siding up to the floor line, on the garage facade, and for two feet around the corners. Run a continuous 'belly band' at the floor line, and use HardiePanel siding to frame out shadow boxes between the doors, emulating columns. Paint the trim portions white, and the body 2 shades darker than the rest of the body. Unfortunately, as the window heads do not align on any of the facades, adding trim or shutters draws attention to this moreso than leaving them as is. Correcting them involves expense that you could use elsewhere. Second, you could cut out the windows and partial walls below the two outside windows of the front facade, and install doors, with black powder coated Juilet balconies, but that involves additional expense. I don't mind the white doors, I believe the main issues are that the siding is monochromatic, and as Pure Home suggests, lacks texture. Happy Houzzing.
    Bookmark   August 16, 2013 at 12:17PM
Re|Structure Design-Build, LLC
This would be a very interesting project. Having to deal with this non- discript "box" and 3 garage doors that look like a toothy smile, makes me want to embrace that and interject elements that actually celebrate and enhance these features. What looks so wrong now, could turn out to be a wow later.
    Bookmark   August 16, 2013 at 12:25PM
Dynamic Garage Door
Might we suggest garage doors? They take up a great part of the front and could make a huge improvement and make the entire building far more appealing. Check out some of our doors: http://www.houzz.com/pro/dynamicgarage-door/__public
    Bookmark   August 16, 2013 at 12:59PM
andj32
Is there a tight budget for this project? Because most of these suggestions seem pricey but very good suggestions.
2 Likes    Bookmark   August 16, 2013 at 1:12PM
True, we haven’t asked your budget.

Still, we all see potential. It isn’t a cracker box it is a Carriage House :>).
Carriage House · More Info

Lakeview House · More Info
2 Likes    Bookmark   August 16, 2013 at 1:17PM
Dynamic Garage Door
Oh yes, I forgot to mention....maybe a trellis/arbor above the garages? Some light fixtures? Hm....there's just too much potential and a budget would give us all a better idea on what route would be the best for you.
    Bookmark   August 16, 2013 at 1:20PM
niclyn2011
Thanks everyone!! You all have great ideas.. As far as budget.. We don't own the place.. But there's a slight possibility we might.. Not sure though. So I just thought I would get some ideas in case we would! We likely wouldn't be able to put a lot of money into it.. Since it wouldn't be a permanent home.. But I really appreciate all the tips! Love the ideas!!
1 Like    Bookmark   August 16, 2013 at 1:26PM
Everything Beautiful Home Designs LLC
The house needs definition weather you use stone, paint is up to you and your budget this drawing shows what the members are saying and i must agree with them in terms of definitions and texture .The landscaping frames it all in.
1 Like    Bookmark   August 16, 2013 at 2:26PM
niclyn2011
That picture looks really good!! Thanks for the idea!
    Bookmark   August 16, 2013 at 3:03PM
purehome
This is awesome!
    Bookmark   August 16, 2013 at 3:26PM
Everything Beautiful Home Designs LLC
Thank you. We can provide you with future drawings if you need any .2 D or 3 D.
    Bookmark   August 16, 2013 at 3:38PM
Ugly Box, need help!
Hey guys, we extended the back of our home and turns...
raafa17
How can I hide ugly pipes?
We have just had a new boiler fitted and have rather...
cazzyj
Help me hide this big ugly box!
There are rules by the electric company, but how do...
lilhoffy99
Help ugly box! Any ideas on how to fix?
House has great views (as long as you are looking out)....
zeitgast
I need help hiding the ugly phone and cable boxes in my backyard.
We have the house in the neighborhood where the cable...
eguest1
This Sofa with this Living Room?
Sorry for asking once again, it feels like I have been...
Bee Cat
Please help with my kitchen, I'm in over my head...
I have so many things going on here. First we sharted...
rterbeek
The best bath vanity lighting?
What kind of bath lighting is the best? Sconces with...
Unique Interiors Ltd.
where do I put my tv?
please picture this room empty aside from the fireplace....
mcbartz
What to do with dining room wall?
Would a photo ledge or a couple of large picture frames...
rgulick