Ugliest wall ever?

Stacie WilcoxAugust 16, 2013
Please excuse the mess! I am at a complete loss about how to handle this wall! I want to go for softer colors, and just added BMW sea haze to one wall- with plans to paint the rest of the walls in the same color. My hubby is horrified by the idea of painting wood, but I am wearing him down. I plan on doing the kitchen with sea haze walls, white uppers, and java gel stain on the bottom (I can't stand the oak for one more minute). Not sure how to tie the rooms together?
sunset3433
Make the cement between the rocks lighter, not that hard just pipe it in and then take a rag and work it in. I say paint the cabinets white or any other color that goes with the rocks.
11 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Stacie Wilcox    August 16, 2013 at 2:43PM
Stacie Wilcox
I was thinking that as well...something to soften the wall. Its so harsh. Any ideas on the oak overload? I am newly married and the house came with my husband...
1 Like    Bookmark   August 16, 2013 at 2:47PM
indianpatti
I hear you on the oak, that would drive me crazy too! Are those cabs built-in? They look removable. If they are not built in, I would just get rid of them.
4 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Stacie Wilcox    August 16, 2013 at 2:51PM
Stacie Wilcox
Prob removable, but I doubt we would have enough room without them (you meant in the kitchen, right?) The ones in the living room are removable, but currently bolted to the wall. Sadly, they were made by a friend of my husbands, so he is sentimentally attached (sigh)
    Bookmark   August 16, 2013 at 2:55PM
zypp33
Plaster over the stone add a picture same width as fire surround and same height as window head and say 6'' above mantel , put gentle uplighters on top of the shelves as you say they are to stay! ,divide the ceiling with box beams to break up the ceiling ( can you change the lighting?)
In the kitchen assuming keeping the oak...could your husband bear to remove the wall units either side of the window and the pelmet ? This would lighten the whole place and may make the oak more appealing with some colour to the walls and some nifty lighting.
4 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Stacie Wilcox    August 16, 2013 at 3:29PM
Stacie Wilcox
Love the idea of removing the units next to the window! Def want to add a painting to the fireplace (was literally painting one myself last night) and uplighting was an idea I was toying with, so you validated that : )
1 Like    Bookmark   August 16, 2013 at 3:45PM
Stacie Wilcox
oh, and I have been given the "go-ahead" to paint the cabs in the kitchen. Was thinking bm white dove uppers and staining the bottom with java
1 Like    Bookmark   August 16, 2013 at 4:16PM
apple_pie_order
See how you can move the bookcases away from the fireplace. The mantel looks like an add-on, too. It might be a little tougher to remove. That kind of rock fireplace may not have had a mantel at all originally.

You can lighten up the mortar with thinned water base paint. Try an unobtrusive spot first.

Uplights in the corners would add some drama and texture.

Do you have photos of the kitchen with all the lights on? Looks like a good work shape with nice floors and a lot of light from the window.
3 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Stacie Wilcox    August 16, 2013 at 4:43PM
Sheri Wilson Fine Art
Stacie I was going to recommend Benjamin Move White Dove. That Sea Haze is such a beautiful color. Agreed with sunset 3433 on the grout between rocks that will definitely alter the appearance. Did this w/ dark floor grout and it truly makes a difference and hardly a cost just labor. Definitely add an uplifting painting too. Questioning how much natural light you have in your kitchen for the Sea Haze color? BTW, no need to excuse the mess? What mess? Congratulations Newlyweds.
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Stacie Wilcox    August 16, 2013 at 4:44PM
Sustainable Dwellings
Put beadboard or wallboard over that stuff!!! ouch. Bad fake rock is worse than bad! It is not impossible to fix this at all. You will be OK after you get that over with. Happy Friday!
5 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Stacie Wilcox    August 16, 2013 at 4:46PM
Sheri Wilson Fine Art
http://www.inspiredwives.com/2013/02/how-to-paint-oak-kitchen-cabinets.html Stacie thought I'd share this find. Please take before/during/after photos for all your accomplishments!
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Stacie Wilcox    August 16, 2013 at 4:51PM
Sustainable Dwellings
Very sweet post above.. When you cover this wall, you can post a miracle. good luck.
    Bookmark   Thanked by Stacie Wilcox    August 16, 2013 at 4:57PM
HI -- The Oak was soooo over done in the late 80's and early 90's.. I have no problem painting out Oak .I am doing that in my own home and my husband is on board with it too. The stone fireplace wall would look better with the grout lightened. Put on a rubber glove then hold a piece of cloth over your finger , then dip into your paint and go over all the grout .You could use the Sea Haze instead of white . White might be too light with the stone . It needs to all blend ,grout and stone , to make it look better. If you have the funds maybe removing that stone wall would be better . Then you could have something more current.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by Stacie Wilcox    August 16, 2013 at 5:01PM
Stacie Wilcox
oh good! Nice to know that I am not completely off track with my ideas/colors. The lighting in the kitchen is only from the one window, though we do have uplighting above the cabinets and the overhead light. All of this has to be done on a budget (newlyweds and all...) There is a huge bay window just beside the kitchen and a set of french doors (leading to the patio) into the living room. I was hoping that adding the sea haze would provide a little depth to the house that cream walls throughout was not providing. Beadboard is another great idea, hadnt thought of that!
    Bookmark   August 16, 2013 at 5:08PM
Overhead Door Company of The Desert
Hi, I would put the 2 side shelves on bases so the crown molding touches the ceiling, Add the bead board over the rock, trim out the space between the shelves with more crown molding and paint it all the white dove. it will all look like a built in custom piece. I can picture it now...It will look awesome!!
8 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Stacie Wilcox    August 16, 2013 at 5:25PM
brickln
Correct the wall, but respect your husband's wishes on keeping the bookshelves unpainted. If there is space, they would look better flanking the windows rather than competing with the fireplace.
4 Likes    Bookmark   August 16, 2013 at 5:50PM
Sheri Wilson Fine Art
Re: Sentimental bookcases bolted to the wall need a lift? I've had to resort to this and some may disagree yet as a compromise , on a budget try this > this blogs explains it better than I can. http://keltiesays.com/diy-wallpaper-shelves/ It can truly be tasteful and not cheapen the space . I had a friend that hired an interior decorator that corked her bookcases! $$$ Try at least one back shelving space and see for yourself. Also after you have disposed of your rubber gloves f/ the painting of the rock grout you will see a fresh new look. Get back to painting trim w/ White Dove. If you do not require privacy I'd leave your window undressed :). What a lift it will be!
BTW, I do like TKR Const trim / crown molding touches. That would be exquisite working within the existing design. Add that to your Design Board.
Now what is for dinner in the kitchen. Hah? It'll be take-out with all the painting going on!
1 Like    Bookmark   August 16, 2013 at 6:12PM
Sheri Wilson Fine Art
Timeless Appeal · More Info
Did you notice this mantle Stacie? It has similarities, yes? Wow ~ the possibilities. You are going to fall in love with your home. Let the kitchen rest awhile and focus on this room. (Don't do as I do, hah!)
6 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Stacie Wilcox    August 16, 2013 at 6:19PM
Tina Rawson
Could you paint the stones different colors? It would look like a big mosaic. Thinking way outside the box here. :-) Good luck!
    Bookmark   Thanked by Stacie Wilcox    August 16, 2013 at 7:16PM
Stacie Wilcox
Sherischart-LOVE that color. It reminds me of silhouette (a color I am in love with but would likely give hubby a heart attack). I think it would be amazing for lower cabs in kitchen, but wasnt sure how it would work with sea haze. BM says the two compliment well. If I did change the windows, would white sheers look too stark?
    Bookmark   August 16, 2013 at 7:19PM
sstarr93
Yes, if you color the grout, you have half a chance with this wall. The other half will come from painting the woodwork with the Sea Haze paint in a semigloss or eggshell finish. At that point, it will be acceptable and neutral enough so that your accessories can be noticed.
Fine idea to paint the kitchen; in my opinion it has to be done, and no matter whether you go for 2-tone or not. It would be nicer if you could remove some of the upper cabinets on the window wall. It has that "room full of cabinets" look that seems dated to me. It would be more interesting with some open shelves where that near cabinet is to the right of the window.
1 Like    Bookmark   August 16, 2013 at 7:25PM
HI -- I hope you are taking the bookcases away from the stone wall . The wall would look so much more modern without the bookcases .And painting the mantel is a good idea too. Get a nice modern ceiling fixture to replace the boob one that is there now .
1 Like    Bookmark   August 16, 2013 at 7:32PM
kimberly
If the book cases can be removed I would get rid of them and like the others have said lighten the grout. I would also get rid of the throw rug on the carpet.
lauraintheoc
What if you moved the bookcases away from the fireplace, found a nice painting to go over the fireplace, put your end table at the fireplace end of the white sofa, and put the bookcases against the wall where the end table is now. Is there room? Moving them might redistribute the weight in the room.

I think lightening the color of the grout is a great idea. We have a similar wall around our fireplace, and I hate it, but I did hang a large painting over it. Good luck!
2 Likes    Bookmark   August 16, 2013 at 10:08PM
Christine Watts C.
I was just thinking--do you like books?--because, built-in book shelves covering that entire area surrounding the fireplace would look wonderful, I'm thinking--it would get rid of that faux stone, while providing you with lots of shelving for not just books but collectables as well--painting the faux stone might make it a pretty color, but it would still be a faux stone wall with no way to really use the space even to hang pictures on--just thinking about what I'd love to do with it is all.:)
1 Like    Bookmark   August 17, 2013 at 3:34AM
Christine Watts C.
I'm thinking, about the kitchen, that what you are wanting to do with painting the upper cabinets white, and using the darker gel on the bottom ones sounds great--and tying the two rooms together would be the paint color you've chosen--Sea Haze--the white uppers and the Sea Haze would also serve to brighten up the kitchen as well--the comment by Sustainable Dwellings, to cover the faux stone wall with beadboard sounds like a plan as well--it would definitely cost less than putting shelving surrounding the fireplace on both sides as well as above it, and would look pretty terrific.:)
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by Stacie Wilcox    August 17, 2013 at 3:48AM
apple_pie_order
Are the rocks on the wall real or fake? They look real, circa 1955-1965.
    Bookmark   August 17, 2013 at 5:52AM
mauvreen
The breadboard is a great idea. I also have a husband who thinks bricks should never be painted! So, I had BB cut to cover the entire area and what a wonderful difference. Lightened the space. Good luck!
1 Like    Bookmark   August 17, 2013 at 6:09AM
Sheri Wilson Fine Art
http://diymamas.blogspot.com/2012/10/staining-easy-way-with-professional.html

Stacie, here is a link DIY to your kitchen cabinets for the java gel results. Considerations as to above suggestion....open up 1-2 of the cabinets (take the doors off) What about the two side by side the window light/kitchen sink area? Don't envy the labor involved in all those doors. Don't forget to # them and make a diagram reference as to putting them back together again.

To answer your white sheer window treatment in your great room ---would be lovely too.

Someone addressed the rug treatments...when you roll them up for painting the walls stand back and see if the rugs are bringing the room "down" ? You might prefer them without and repurpose the area rug under the coffee table in another room?

Back to the Rocks: Makes one feel like they are in a Colorado Ski Vacation Resort! (grins)

These are all wonderful ideas you have accumulated within less than 24 hours!

Can't wait for your post .
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by Stacie Wilcox    August 17, 2013 at 8:24AM
mbhutch
It's great that your husband's friend made the bookshelves, but do they have to be in that room? How about a "man cave"? Or his office area?
1 Like    Bookmark   August 17, 2013 at 9:11AM
mbhutch
The wall would look great with the lighter grout idea. I've been looking at homes on "Zillow", and there are a ton of those types of fireplaces, which is kinda retro, but not that pretty.... If I end up in your situation, that's what I will do immediately.
    Bookmark   August 17, 2013 at 9:13AM
Natalie Potyonek
Stacie, Definitely lighten the grout in a color to blend with rocks. Oak wood is gorgeous in a dark stain...choose peppercorn or the Java color you mentioned. Raising the units to have crown hit the ceiling would be another bonus. Stain the mantle as well. Loose the swag over the window and the area rug under the coffee table. Add a large mirror over the mantle and something large over the sofa facing the windows. IF the blue sofa is not to large, you could swing it around to face the fire place and add a sofa table behind it. A fresh coat of paint on the walls like the color you mentioned and some new throw pillows in warm colors would change this room dramatically. I would also consider some new lighting....a larger table lamp maybe and crown molding. Marshalls Home Store (if you have one near) ROCKS and is budget friendly! Have fun with it!
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by Stacie Wilcox    August 17, 2013 at 9:14AM
Natalie Potyonek
As for the Kitchen....The colors you mentioned painting the cabinets are good choices. Maybe add crown to the top cabinets bringing them to the ceiling. New hardware, backsplash and possibly a new counter top with under mount sink. You can get unfinished crown from any kitchen cabinet supplier, if the space is greater than that of the crown, add a starter molding to the top of the cabinet flush with the face of the cabinets and then nail the crown to the front of the starter molding giving it a dramatic look.
    Bookmark   August 17, 2013 at 10:35AM
cindinfocus
As an artist, what I see is a jarring mixture of tones. The cooltones of the soft green wall paint, the beautiful blue carpet, the soft blue and cream of the sofas and then you have the blareing orangey tones of the oak. If you can't paint the oak, you could soften it with a whitewash to tone down all of the orange tones, or go with an ebonizing varnish to darken the tones. This in my opinion, would gel with the other good suggestions about lightening the grout and lifting the bookcases to the ceiling. You should also center each bookcase within it's space, not jam it against the wall. Makes them look more comfortable with who they are. You have a lot of great ideas here in these posts, I hope you find some you and your husband can live with in peace and harmony. No decorating is worth a fight! God bless!
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Stacie Wilcox    August 17, 2013 at 12:18PM
Stacie Wilcox
Hey y'all...thanks for all of the great comments. Sheri-I AM in Colorado! Maybe that is the look they were going for : ) here is the progress since yesterday. The top edges aren't finished, but this should give an idea of the wall so far. I think its def better? I agree with the tones mixing- I'm moving into more mutes tones. Not sure what color to stain/paint the oak in this room. The kitchen I think I have figured out...
11 Likes    Bookmark   August 17, 2013 at 12:40PM
brickln
Definitely on the way- even the bookcases look better up against the stone. Get in those corners!
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by Stacie Wilcox    August 17, 2013 at 2:41PM
2in1year
I would have never thought to lighten the grout. That looks wonderful already. Good luck. We are so lucky to use the venue to gather so many good ideas.
1 Like    Bookmark   August 17, 2013 at 2:46PM
fancypet
I had a house with red brick all the way down the hallway full length of the house. I painted the whole thing with an off white including the grout. Now it looks like a textured wall. As for your bookcases and mantel how about a darker paint or stain to stand out or lighter to blend in.
    Bookmark   August 17, 2013 at 3:07PM
santos123
The wall is not ugly and I would not get rid of the wall. As a matter of fact I think that the problem is not on the wall, but on the color of the book cases you have by the wall. If I were you I would change the color of them (by using a different color). I would also change the rag and the cover of the sofas. The cover make them look old and ugly. I would change the lamp from the ceiling and I would put crown moulding (painted in black) in the ceiling. I would also move the book cases from the wall because they make the living room too crowded.
    Bookmark   August 17, 2013 at 8:13PM
Classical Home Design, Inc. by Susan Berry
Paint the rock wall, the mantle, the book cases and everything on that wall White Dove. You might want to paint an accent on the inside backs of the bookcases to match the other walls. You can pain the end tables and coffee table the same Java as the cabinets. This is the least expensive solution. Once that whole wall is white and you add your own art and accessories, it will look good. Spend any extra money on a great hanging light fixture. You do not need crown molding. It can come later. Add a new throw rug in your colors under the coffee table and throw pillows in your colors. De-clutter all of the knick knacks on the shelves. Use baskets to contain the clutter on the shelves. You can get nice ones at Target.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by Stacie Wilcox    August 17, 2013 at 9:50PM
Christine Watts C.
Stacie, it looks much better already now that the dark grout has been lightened--it's amazing!:)
3 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Stacie Wilcox    August 17, 2013 at 10:58PM
nwduck
Stacie...married 35 years to a "don't paint the wood!" husband. For the back of the bookcases, you can try this. Get some paintable wallpaper (it comes in varying textures, I used a linen weave look.) Paint it your wall color. If the shelves on the bookcases are removable, take them out, and even if you are not brave enough to paper to the wood, attach the painted wallpaper to the back horizontally, with what would be a seam at a shelf edge. You can use a temp spray mount to attach without "ruining" the finish, OR attach tightly around the edges with double stick tape. More work and careful cutting with a sharp X-acto knife required if the shelves don't come out, but it completely alters the bookcase look, and carries your wall color to the rock wall. Excellent job on lightening the grout! I might suggest...snug the shelving up tight to the hearth, and leave the vacant space at the wall sides. Also, the room might appear more open and light without the area rug. Just remember--it's his house too! Compromise is a great relationship skill. :)
7 Likes    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 12:11AM
Cynthia Celenza
I married to a "don't paint the wood" guy too. But maybe he would except staining the wood a darker shade?
1 Like    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 4:01AM
Essentia Interior Design
Does often seem a pity to paint timber but sometimes its a must, maybe your husbands friend could build the whole wall in with cupboards and shelves, then paint the lot white or whatever colour you like this way you will never have to look at that wall again some nice soft L.E,D, lighting would look great. If you wanted to add colour you could wallpaper on the back of the open shelves and maybe even in a selection of different papers and patterns.
1 Like    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 4:56AM
bsciorti
The suggestion of lightening the grout is a great idea. I may consider removing the book cases and the mantel and instead trying to add a modern touch with floating shelves in a painted color. The stone, as a back drop, would provide texture and the painted look would mod it up and neutralize things
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 6:18AM
litehearted
I would lighten the grout on the wall as suggested, but leave the rest of the room as is {but maybe wallpaper the backs of the shelves as suggested}. Do what you envision for the kitchen. Then take stock of where you are at and whether you need to do anything further to tie the two rooms together. If your kitchen has standard sized cabinets, you might be able to replace the doors rather than paint/stain them if it is not cost prohibitive. :)
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 7:23AM
Karyl Anne
You're doing great so far. The lighter grout helps a lot. Am I seeing stone at the back of the bookcases or is the back solid? I'm with those who would move them if they must stay stained wood... OTOH I'm a huge fan of paint even over wood and here's why... paint is easy to do, inexpensive yet worth it's weight in gold to give something a new look. This last bit got my own "wood" DH to let me paint over knotty pine paneling... Paint doesn't have to be forever. It can be stripped and the wood stained back if you ever want the wood again. :-)
1 Like    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 7:59AM
Dorothy Fouts
I agree with lightening the grout. The oak would look better refinished (how about a color-tinted natural finish?) Move tall bookcases to other wall and sofa facing fireplace and over-sized chair to window side at angle. New natural texture blinds on windows. If something was done to remodel the 3 units on the stonewall look like 1, would improve the look.
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 8:39AM
cruud
paint the rock wall charcoal gray to make it go away! then paint the wood in crisp white...done!
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 8:54AM
intyminty4me
Making the grout lighter is helping! If is phony stone, I would have no qualms about painting it to reduce it to a textural element. You can always rip it out at a later date. Make sure you unbolt those bookcases and treat all the grout at the same time; it would be a bear to try to match your treatment later. If you must live with it, then showcase the texture and get some design value from it. Take the bookcases off that wall so you can see it!!!

I think one of the problems with the room is the axial symmetry. The bookcases, couches and coffee table placement are reinforcing this static arrangement. It's hard to judge their scale from the photo but if you can form an "L" and still have good flow in and out of the space, I would try that. At a later date, you could eliminate one couch and add a couple of single chairs. I find that getting the abstract balance right in the massing of stuff, flow and function needs to happen before the finishes.

I don't see a flat screen TV and I don't know if you two like to be cozied in near the fireplace but consider how you would prefer to "live" in the space. Whether the window view is a good one or if you will mostly use the room in the evening and would like to place your large couch under the window and then have a large wall to work with for TV etc. The bookcase(s) could flank a low TV table. If their style is not what you really want, use them as placeholders temporarily or shift one or both to another room. A simple extra-wide dowel rod hung near the ceiling with the panels stacked to the left of the window could make the window appear wider, anchor the large couch and provide blackout so you don't have a window reflected in the TV. A single panel to the right of the window completes the illusion. Keep it simple and modern.

I think the changes you are making to the kitchen palette are going to drive changes to the living room. The oak is very matchy-matchy and dated. While you will need to repeat the kitchen tones as themes or accents to tie the rooms together, a little something for the wood floor to relate to will keep it warm. This is not a bid for the oak it could be pottery or a different coffee table. I wouldn't hesitate to paint, pickle or distress that oak! Paint would highlight the texture of the grain and pull your kitchen palette into the room. Very current! Stripping the coffee and end tables then rubbing paint into the grain would relate to the rustic stone in a small way and you can put your feet up. Vary their tones slightly.

Have fun, paint is cheap! Bottom line, dated looking oak furniture creating a dated looking interior is sad. Playing with their finishes to bring them a fresh current look as part of a lovely room ensures they have a new lease on life and would make their maker proud to see them loved.
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 1:33PM
nanalovesdesign
I married a "don't paint the wood" guy, and we painted our Cherry woodwork, cabinets too. We also painted a coffered cherry ceiling. He is SOLD on the paint. We went with BM White Dove. Everyone that had a "thing" for not painting wood, loves the transformation, even my tree hugging friends.
What would you think of leaving the rock on the bottom and sheetrocking over the top stone? That would be after putting the bookcases he loves in a guest bedroom or office.
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 1:55PM
craljh
When everything is done or at least decided on you may want to edit the things on your shelves. There is a thread here [forgot the name} where she changed the way things were displayed on her shelves and I couldn't believe the transformation just with something as simple as that. I will try to find the thread, it may interest you. Love the grout painted !! What a big change from something so simple !!
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 2:33PM
craljh
I found the thread. It is called Great Room Update Needed.
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 2:37PM
Essentia Interior Design
Yes lightening the grout is a great idea and paint the mantle white.compromise on the shelves as others have suggested if you lke the stone wall, and use the shelves elsewhere you could even add tinted glass doors to the shelving this way you wouldnt see so much of the timber and they can be used as display cabinets book shelves or storage!
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by Stacie Wilcox    August 18, 2013 at 5:37PM
karinachki
You can paint the oak white and add white mouldings to the ceiling/top of wall. It will pull the whole room together.
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 9:18PM
Sheri Wilson Fine Art
Wow, what Stacie can do in less than 33 hours? Lookin' good! Pardon me if this has already been addressed but wondering if you using Restoreit finish on the shelves would help you fall in love with them since they are apart of the family. :) Just a fleeting thought. Now, I'll go back to my painted corner. :) Keep up the good work. Lots of great ideas. So little time but Stacie can do. (grins) Applause Button.
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 9:31PM
smdrovetto
Hi Stacie!

I would look at doing a "wash" on the kitchen cabinets. There has been a brand mentioned by several Houzzers, (It's a woman's name) that gives a more subtle, modern effect than paint.

I painted a kitchen.........................once. Remember with cabinets, you have to paint the outside, inside of the doors, the casing, inside also, possibly, the edges, deal with hardware.....

Do you care if the wood grain, which is prominent on oak, shows through? Unless you pretreat the surface, or maybe they have special paint, but it's a consideration. Nonetheless, cabinet surfaces have to be perfect, and with white paint, streaks, etc show.

Washes come in several colors, and opacities, and are subtle, but dramatically change the look of wood.You can use washes on your fireplace also.
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 9:35PM
smdrovetto
Hi Stacie, The brand I was talking about is Annie Sloan's Chalk Paint.
Gives cabinets an "airy cottage feel."
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 9:45PM
boxplayer
Lightening the grout on the stone wall is hugely successful. Someone suggested doing something to raise the shelves on the sides of the fireplace up to the ceiling, but I think that will make the room look even narrower. I would LOWER them to the height of the mantle, paint them and the fireplace surround a light neutral color that picks up some of the tones of the stone, and then hang one or more WIDE pieces of art above. I also agree with the suggestion to re-arrange the furniture into an L shape to take the corridor-like feeling out of the room. The window looks kind of lost and mis-positioned the way it is.
1 Like    Bookmark   August 19, 2013 at 7:07AM
smdrovetto
Hi Stacie.

This would be a pretty easy project to do, comparitively.

Your fireplace would need to be extended wider, and fitted against the bookcassed to make it look like a buitl it unit. The only other thing things are the two pieces of molding following the surround upt to the ceiling.

I used white, cream, light blue, and honey., I started out staining the rocks a very sheer gray eggplant, which also looked kind of cool, but a couple of pieces of wall board to paint woud be fine.

I didn't actually touch the mantel, so it might surprise you if you can and look nice if you donlt touch that.

I really like it with that pretty shade of pale green you chose, and also your existing furniture.
4 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Stacie Wilcox    August 19, 2013 at 8:13AM
Stacie Wilcox
Update! Finished wall (except for upper corner hubby is going to have to complete for me). Painted the mantle, and not convinced that I like it. It has amplified some weird shades in the rocks. Now I am seeing pinks. Thinking about stripping it back down and trying a deeper stain on the wood?
3 Likes    Bookmark   August 19, 2013 at 11:52AM
Sheri Wilson Fine Art
smdrovetto *love that image you shopped. Stacie The wall accents your rugs an everything. Amazing what one thing and two and three make. I like the mantle. But we're not seeing it up close and personal as you
    Bookmark   August 19, 2013 at 12:24PM
Paint firepl. Remove side units, not doing anything. Add bench seating instead with pillows in a print to match sofas. Or if not in budget. Add two big faux palms in ceramic pots to each side. Art or mirror or over sofa. New panels. 2 shades darker than walls. Color you picked sounds nice. New taller lamps go drum style shades. Darker than wall color.
    Bookmark   August 19, 2013 at 12:25PM
On windows no swag on top just add to ends only. I would get darker end tables and a round coffee table dark. Ikea has good deals. Add color in pillows. Remove litter. Add a small round table to end of blue sofa. Add a plant to it. Add a 24" gold sunburst Mirror over firepl hang 5" above mantel. Add tall wood candlesticks 3 to end if mantel. Ck TJMax for accents.
    Bookmark   August 19, 2013 at 12:30PM
Remove brown print area rug. Not working.
    Bookmark   August 19, 2013 at 12:30PM
Drop a drum style chandelier over coffee table . For interest.
    Bookmark   August 19, 2013 at 12:31PM
craljh
I see the pinks you are talking about. Maybe you could add a little mauve or raspberry to accent. I would feel bad that you would have to strip the paint. Maybe you could paint the fp the same color as the walls or someone who knows more about it may suggest a shade darker than the wall. I really do like the color on your walls. Do you ?
    Bookmark   August 19, 2013 at 1:22PM
Stacie Wilcox
Hubby is actually on board with anything I want to do now. He has given up, lol. The decorating suggestions are nice, but yeah, I'm working on the big impact items right now : ).
4 Likes    Bookmark   August 19, 2013 at 1:49PM
nwduck
Holy cow! You are GOOD! Took me until about year 15 of the 35 to not see the aghast look about painting wood. It was probably because your mantel and the rock wall turned out so well. You've done such a nice job! :)
    Bookmark   Thanked by Stacie Wilcox    August 19, 2013 at 2:22PM
Natalie Potyonek
What a change. Don't forget the grout on the hearth. I agree that white or off white might not be the right choice for the Bookcases. I think going darker would really warm it up and keep the items from competing. I also noticed that you changed the window covering from swag to sheer...nice and simple. Look how changing the grout made the wall to the right show darker. What about the painted mantle do you not like? Be sure to use high gloss when painting woods. Flatter paints will look chalky. I think you're on your way! Keep posting pictures! Love it!
    Bookmark   August 19, 2013 at 2:32PM
brickln
Wasn't expecting that mantel paint- too white, needs to be toned down. Go with a greige.
http://www.houzz.com/photos/products/revere-pewter
Hope you don't change the bookcases, they look much better with the grout change, and have sentimental value to your husband. You may be winning a battle, but losing the war.
If you're on a paint kick, stick with the kitchen- a natural wood floor is plenty for the room.
    Bookmark   August 19, 2013 at 6:03PM
Margaret B
Wow, what a transformation, looks great! Agree with others that you need to consider a gray or greige color for he mantel and bookshelves. Fabulous job on the fireplace wall!
1 Like    Bookmark   August 19, 2013 at 6:10PM
howellmsue
Has anyone mentioned to paint the insert a matte black? Getting rid of the shiny gold will help. :) They make a high heat black paint perfect for just that.
3 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Stacie Wilcox    August 19, 2013 at 6:24PM
Stacie Wilcox
I do love grey and am considering it for the shelves. for some reason I am thinking mahogany with a touch of a darker glaze for the mantle. It would be a departure from the cooler muted tones I currently have but I think it could work with the stone and the grey. I am not opposed to "darker" I was just opposed to the crazy black grout and ugly wall! As for the grout on the hearth, I am considering using a dark (or some fun pop of color) uniform color to ground the hearth
1 Like    Bookmark   August 19, 2013 at 7:21PM
kimberly
@stacie,will you post b4 and after pics next to each other? What about the bookcases? Are you able to remove them?
    Bookmark   August 20, 2013 at 7:58AM
Stacie Wilcox
Starting to come together! Just wanted to post a "halfway" pic. Mirror isn't on the wall yet, haven't changed up the furniture or rugs (yet) I am going to stain the bookcases. Debating a mahogany vs walnut. And I think I am going to paint the mantle rock port grey. Starting to get a "feel" for the room. The wall was all I could see before!
2 Likes    Bookmark   August 25, 2013 at 2:15PM
sstarr93
This project is already a huge success! Everything else from here on out is gravy. Congratulations!
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by Stacie Wilcox    August 25, 2013 at 2:27PM
cindinfocus
Mahogany has too much red in it for this room. Go with walnut stain!
    Bookmark   August 26, 2013 at 6:01AM
HI - Stacie - The room has come a long way for the better -- just need to work on the bookcase styling .Put all the heavy looking things on the bottom working your way up to having less per shelf to having just an item or three on the top shelf . You need something with some height and volume on the right bookshelf top . Start by putting all the books on the bottom. I am not so sure I like the tree on the left in front of the bookcase though. And yes I agree the stain should be a walnut -- black walnut .
1 Like    Bookmark   August 26, 2013 at 7:02AM
kimberly
Stacie
Oh my gosh! What a huge difference. This is no longer the ugliest wall ever. You are doing a great job!! Next time you post a pic. Post the original and the latest next to each other.
    Bookmark   August 26, 2013 at 8:22AM
kimberly
Forgot to ask...what does your husband think now that the mantel is painted?
    Bookmark   August 26, 2013 at 8:23AM
craljh
Hi, you have a lot to do on your list but I wanted to cast my vote for painting the insert black. You have come a long way baby.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by Stacie Wilcox    August 26, 2013 at 9:33AM
deedled
Maybe take shelves and put in another room? I then would take fireplace mantel out and add one that is a more rustic wood just above fire place and then add rustic floating wood shelves on both sides of fireplace not many 3-4 on each side. Paint metal on fireplace black with heat paint/spray paint. Now walls on either side should be the same paint tone, a warm glow tone. Then I would add more modern curtains and a rod, a black rod and softer toned curtains with large rings for hanging, then add bamboo shades or wood looking ones to match the wood on new fireplace. I would also paint the coffee table and end tables maybe a mat Black to incorporate the dark grout in the stone wall. I would recover the white pillows on the couch with a beige tone. Then accessories. If you can get a cover to match the grey/blue green couch and put on the white one I would, or like I said just try to match the pillows then. I like the stone wall :)
    Bookmark   August 26, 2013 at 11:29AM
Stacie Wilcox
Kimberly- he has been supportive! Mostly just admitted that he couldn't see a difference between sea haze and rock port grey : ) I am also in the middle of staining my bathroom vanities and he loves the results. So that is how I won the "bookcase debate". I'll post a thorough side by side when done! To address suggestions by others-I won't be styling, staging, or purchasing anything new til the paint/staining is complete! : )
    Bookmark   August 26, 2013 at 2:14PM
pkstanley
Hi Stacie, great job so far. Love the lightened grout. Just wanted to mention that I think that you missed the grout under the hearth. I noticed it in both of the last two pictures.
    Bookmark   August 26, 2013 at 3:34PM
Stacie Wilcox
Pk- thanks for noticing. I Didn't forget it...just thinking about painting it one solid color. Haven't decided yet!
    Bookmark   August 26, 2013 at 3:54PM
Have the ugliest bathroom in america!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I need serious help!!!!!!!!! Theres ugly stucco on...
Latasha Orr
I have the ugliest tub!
My bathroom is a mish-mash of worn-out parts. The tub...
jamilinn
Ugliest house in the neighborood! Advice needed. :)
We bought the ugliest house in our neighborhood, ok,...
truuubluuu
Ugliest little fireplace ever
So, in our bedroom we have this corner fireplace. ...
joaniek
Painting over the fireplace: is it too small?
Please help me decide! Should I find a bigger painting...
irenale
Need help cheering up a dark kitchen
I got such good ideas on my tiny bathroom, now I present...
domesticimpostor
Dining Area and Beyond
Hi, I need help finishing my dining area (walls, windows...
yacinth
window shutters or blinds
Our Great room is south west facing and during the...
mariachambo
How to make my bedroom pop after what I did?
So this is my version of making camo look good...i...
Tori