Help! Need ideas to decorate the foyer!
cschunder
I thought this cabinet might look nice in the foyer. Would it look better refinished another color? I am open to any decorating suggestions for this space! Thanks!
I think it's a great color, but it looks a bit too wide for the space.
0 Likes   August 16, 2013 at 9:20PM
cschunder
I wondered about that too. I already had the cabinet and thought it could work. What might look better to decorate this space? It is the first area you see when you walk in my front door.
0 Likes   August 16, 2013 at 9:24PM
Laura
Could the cabinet go against the stairway?
2 Likes   Thanked by cschunder    August 17, 2013 at 6:08AM
Christy Tay
I think you could move it over maybe a cm to inch over to center it. You could add a nice, oval mirror with some art/sculptures/ bowl/vase/ bonsai tree?
1 Like   Thanked by cschunder    August 17, 2013 at 7:58AM
Matilda Bos Design Studio
Hi.....I would take the cabinet away, and in it's place a large stand-on-the-floor mirror, with a small round table
in front for flowers.
3 Likes   Thanked by cschunder    August 17, 2013 at 1:59PM
lisadolanroth
If you need to utilize the cabinet for the organizational pluses it brings to the foyer, consider painting it a lighter or brighter color which will make it appear smaller and add visual interest. The walls are a safe color as is the cabinet. Maybe a little more personality or something unexpected would do the trick?
1 Like   Thanked by cschunder    August 17, 2013 at 2:07PM
What an opening statement this would make;) wall mural

1 Like   August 17, 2013 at 2:13PM
Or something more affordable and DIY ;)

2 Likes   August 17, 2013 at 2:17PM
and when you have given up;)

1 Like   August 17, 2013 at 2:25PM
anne dee
how about something like this on a smaller scale.
You will need to reposition yr nice chest as it over powers the present space{ I think the piece should not be larger than 3/4 of the allowable space}

1 Like   Thanked by cschunder    August 17, 2013 at 2:29PM
abbyjean
I would love to see you try it on the other wall.......I know that means you will see the side of it, but it is a great piece and I think it might work that way.
0 Likes   Thanked by cschunder    August 17, 2013 at 2:54PM
cschunder
I don't think it will work on the other wall...it was too wide and went past trim.
0 Likes   August 17, 2013 at 5:52PM
abbyjean
Alrighty then......center it on the wall where it is now.....which means it moves just a bit. Find a mirror maybe to hang over it. Prop it there so we can see how it works. Is there an outlet for a mirror? A little dish for keys and maybe a rug and you are set! LOVE this piece!!!
2 Likes   August 17, 2013 at 5:55PM
anne dee
here's another idea for the space

2 Likes   August 17, 2013 at 5:59PM
RosemaryR
I like it, move it over a bit, add art work above and a lamp in the corner which would give a nice glow upward.
1 Like   Thanked by cschunder    August 17, 2013 at 6:23PM
belleandlucy
I love the piece just centered it , also perhaps a fun nice color for a pop and personality with oval mirror and a nice lamp in the center of the cabinet with perhaps a nice dish or basket for keys
1 Like   Thanked by cschunder    August 17, 2013 at 6:37PM
Sheri Wilson Fine Art
Love the cabinet as well as the function. What great ideas anne dee. Lovely images provided. You mentioned this is the first thing you see entering your front door then I would question a mirror as lovely as it may be. Only if you believe in feng shui energy? :0 A mirror or artwork would be beautiful there. Have you tried it on the staircase wall?
2 Likes   Thanked by cschunder    August 17, 2013 at 7:01PM
Laura E.
It is too big for the space and detracts from the room.
1 Like   August 17, 2013 at 7:07PM
Susan Kaminski, Realtor
I think it looks fine- center it, put a bold colored painting above it in the same large scale- the wall will disappear and make quite a statement at the entrance!
2 Likes   Thanked by cschunder    August 17, 2013 at 7:18PM
hurst visual solutions
I think it looks fine. What about a mirror leaning against the wall and if possible, a small lamp? Fresh flowers when possible... A dish to toss the car keys or place the mail... ( being realistic )
2 Likes   Thanked by cschunder    August 17, 2013 at 7:24PM
anne dee
I'll say it again IT IS TOO BIG for the space.
It looks crowded.
It looks like an afterthought' It doesn't work .
Not to mention that it doesn't complement the floors.
That's my feeling :) HE He
1 Like   August 17, 2013 at 7:28PM
hurst visual solutions
In the spirit of cooperation, I think your all caps yelling is inappropriate. This is a group discussion.
5 Likes   Thanked by cschunder    August 17, 2013 at 7:36PM
cschunder
What would better compliment the floors? If I choose to buy a smaller cabinet or table then what do you suggest?
0 Likes   August 17, 2013 at 7:50PM
anne dee
Don't be so touchy. Is that yelling. Well i didn't know as I don't yell.
Maybe you do and that is why you recognized it as such!!!
Check out the smiley face.
Always someone that feels that they have to make a remark just like yours.
Who do you feel you need to protect?
I am very spiritually cooperative, so there!!
0 Likes   August 17, 2013 at 7:52PM
anne dee
A lighter color wood would look nice or a satin finish on the furniture
This is for reference color furniture and the finish ONLY ( I am not yelling just trying to bring your attention to an important point )

1 Like   Thanked by cschunder    August 17, 2013 at 8:05PM
cschunder
Here is an example of artwork I have or what a mirror might look like (all I had laying around was rectangular).
1 Like   August 17, 2013 at 8:35PM
torreyhills
I agree with the comments above that it seems too dark for the space. If this is the first thing you see when you step in to your home, I would personally want to give off a warmer vibe. The dark furniture contrasted to the white staircase and light walls seem out of context. Perhaps you can repurpose the cabinet elsewhere?
1 Like   August 17, 2013 at 8:40PM
pegonia1
I like the artwork - mirror, not so much.
4 Likes   August 17, 2013 at 8:40PM
cschunder
I get that the furniture is too big but now I am really confused as to what color would look better in it's place. I can't change the floors and don't really want to paint a two story foyer. Ugh!
1 Like   August 17, 2013 at 8:53PM
Don Or Janet Cook
If you want to use that piece for now til you get something else that you like better, it's fine. I like the picture as opposed to the mirror. The mirror seems a bit too small for that chest and space. All you need now is a little pop of orangey red or whatever the colour is in the painting. Lovely home!
5 Likes   August 17, 2013 at 9:14PM
like I said earlier *when you give up* lol- laughing quietly;)

1 Like   August 17, 2013 at 9:15PM
Don Or Janet Cook
BTW Anne Dee, you are being a little passive aggresive. All caps is known as yelling when on the internet and adding a smiley face does not negate being pushy. We hear you. No need to attack when something is pointed out. Enough said from this Grandma. Play nice kids or go to your rooms.
4 Likes   August 17, 2013 at 9:18PM
justine7700
Meh, I don't think it is that bad. Try to stop stressing! Maybe looks a tad big in the photo, but if the ceiling height is tall, I think it is probably fine. I like the large picture you placed above, not the mirror. Maybe another option would be a large cream colored vase with some flowers in it.
2 Likes   August 17, 2013 at 9:25PM
cschunder
I'm always on the look out for the "perfect" cabinet or table for this space. I just don't know what I'm looking for...hence the empty foyer for over a year now :).
0 Likes   August 17, 2013 at 9:26PM
@Don or Janet Cook- I would like to say, no need to call out Anne dee- she is not passive aggresive. She is quite the opposite and was just trying to make a point. I often use caps lock when I am making a point and 99% of the time a smiley face. The internet is hard to read emotion. SO LIGHTEN UP! ;))))
0 Likes   August 17, 2013 at 9:31PM
Marc Russell Interiors
The scale of the piece is unfortunately too big. The color is great, love the black, just needs to be to scale. Figure out how you would use the piece, and take it from there. Mirrors never work straight on in an entry. No one want's to see themselves upon entry, especially during bad weather. Good luck!
1 Like   August 17, 2013 at 9:33PM
Sheri Wilson Fine Art
cschunder says: :)
I thought this cabinet might look nice in the foyer.

And it does. You love it. Enjoy it.

Would it look better refinished another color?

According to popular vote this might be the decorating solution.

I am open to any decorating suggestions for this space!

Now to open the color palette of choices.

You are welcome.

The artwork makes it happening in the space now.Mirror will "funky shei" your energy. (grins) Although,
it's a great pair just not there.

Isn't there an easy DIY gel stain that will easily refinish ?
0 Likes   August 17, 2013 at 9:34PM
regina5697
Ideally a smaller piece would be best, but IMO it's quite nice. I like the art piece too. All you need is a rug and some styling on top of the cabinet. A lamp would be nice in the left corner....a clear glass one.
0 Likes   August 17, 2013 at 9:52PM
hurst visual solutions
If only you had a mirror the size of the art, I think you'd have a good solution. I don't know why a question about this piece in your hall has now turned into remodeling and painting and buying more things. Use what you have, the art is the right size. I just like a mirror at the front door to "check for spinach in my teeth" before I leave the house.. Unless you practice Fung Shui in your entire house - using the principle in one single space is really a non issue. Do what **you** think looks best. You'll feel it when you see it.. stand back, cross your arms and say "Yeah, that looks good" - one day, maybe you'll run across a small table at a used furniture store, or a low cost smaller piece.. and decide to rethink it. Until then, you can do this without spending any money. If I had to choose what you found, I'd use the art leaning on the wall.. and not the small mirror. I think it looks nice and does make a nice statement as someone comes in your home. I bright tray of some sort.. ( ceramic?) maybe in an orange or green from the artwork for those car keys... Go to Google Images and put in "foyer table decor" - you'll find lots of yummy ideas.
2 Likes   Thanked by cschunder    August 18, 2013 at 9:00AM
hurst visual solutions
One more argument in favor of a larger mirror... At Holiday times, you can play with the entry hall a bit more.. For Christmas, drape or swag with greenery, ribbons, bows, ornaments...have colorful candles lit that will reflect in the mirror, Pumpkin and candy for Halloween. Glitter and metallics for New Year's Eve.. There's just so many things you can do with a mirror as opposed to a piece of art. I'm just thinking of things I've done and I used my entry hall mirror for a lot more than just reflecting images. ( depends on if you 'get into" decorating for holidays ) Just thought I'd toss that in...
2 Likes   Thanked by cschunder    August 18, 2013 at 9:14AM
Laurie
I also like the idea of something ceramic on top of your furniture. I would hang the artwork, too, to get it off the tabletop and make room for some layering...a interesting stack of books, boxes with some colors or pattern, an oblong tray for keys etc. And a lamp, maybe one of those inexpensive gourd shaped lamps you can find all over these days, in a color pulled out of the artwork that also goes with whatever other colors you have in adjoining rooms from your foyer would be a nice pop. Assuming you have an electrical outlet there of course! If no outlet, then I would consider adding some accessories in glass for sparkle or bright ceramics as previously suggested. I love having a chest in the foyer as we live in the Midwest, it is always handy for storing winter gloves, hats, etc. We do use a mirror over ours for the last minute checks before heading out the door. Practicality always wins the day in our household. Good luck with yours, you are off to a great start!
1 Like   Thanked by cschunder    August 18, 2013 at 9:28AM
abbyjean
I love the wording that hurst visuals used......with how this just took a turn and had you doing all sorts of things. She gave you great advice and I hope you are feeling better about that area now. You already have great pieces to use and if you needed to buy one thing, make that pop on the top with a color from the art.
1 Like   August 18, 2013 at 9:29AM
Alison Kelly
I think an antique grandfather clock would fit the space well and really make a statement upon entry. Could flank with tall glass vases or a small side table to display family photos or seasonal decorations.
0 Likes   August 18, 2013 at 9:42AM
Any updates you can share about your foyer? Would love to see what you ended up doing!
0 Likes   December 18, 2013 at 4:33PM
Need some ideas for decorating a LR & DR combo with no foyer
We are considering buying a house that has an awkward...
Need ideas to decorate tall foyer walls, window, and ledge.
Does anyone have suggestions on decorating really tall...
Foyer issues (ee-shoes) need decor/stowaway ideas
I fell in love with our little bungalow double front...
Need ideas for decorating my foyer & entryway
I am reaching out for ideas after many frustrating...
I need help decorating my foyer/hallway entrance
I bought a small couch and a large mirror to add a...
New Apartment - Need Advice on Curtains!
I moved into my new apartment. I have dark wood furniture,...
Black & white baths
Does brushed chrome work with blk & wht
program
What program or app. can I use to "draw in" furniture,...
need help with flat vs raised panel doors for bar in basement
We have a low bank of built-ins below a TV in the basement...
Need help finding the right rug. Should I go with a plain colored rug?
Will this rug go with this picture? The picture has...