Stain dilemma!
dianesachs
My "greatroom" has beautiful panelling with a glaze overtop. The problem is that over the years, the color has turned "orangey." What can I do to to improve this? The room is very large and I don't really want to strip and re-stain. Is there some sort of wash I can apply or something to tone down the orange?
Rockin' Fine Finish
The wood has oxidized and the that's natural also the finish has yellow emphasizing the orange color . There's nit much you can do refinish or paint . What kind if finish is on the wood now ?
August 17, 2013 at 7:01am     
dianesachs
I think there is a darker stain over the cracks and grooves then a clear coat over everything. We've had the house for seven years and the room was as is.
August 17, 2013 at 11:55am   
7j Design, Ottawa
Since there is not much you can do to the change of the wood tone, try working with the elements which you can change to update the room. Your sectional is beige, your carpeting is beige, so I would introduce some colour to take your attention away from the wood.
August 17, 2013 at 12:20pm   
dianesachs
Great idea. I'm also considering drapery panels in a light linen to take a bit away from the orange. Maybe even put glass in the cabinet doors. That would take some of the wood color away.
August 17, 2013 at 1:30pm   
On the Spot Furniture Revival llc
I have successfully neutralized orange in cabinetry by using green stain. (But be forewarned that the ultimate color will be darker than what you have). To test proportions, add green colorant to top coat (keep track of how much of each you use) and apply to a plastic sheet ( photo album pages work well). Hold the plastic sheet over your cabinetry to see what the end color will be. Once you have a color you are satisfied with, scuff the cabinetry, clean well to get all the dust off and apply your color. Spraying it will give you the best finish. Once the toner coat is done, apply two coats of non-colored top coat in the sheen you prefer.
August 17, 2013 at 6:06pm     
historichouse65
On The Spot's idea is a great one. If you can "take down" the orange your wood may be darker but stunningly beautiful. Then you can set about updating surrounding colors, once you've resolved the wood color.
August 17, 2013 at 7:27pm   
Rockin' Fine Finish
Just make sure your finishes are compatible tinted lacquers or conversion varnishes will work but you can only go so dark spraying is the best but have a pro do it as spraying tinted finishes can get modeled
August 17, 2013 at 7:52pm     
Independent Brand Labs
If someone over coated the original finish, the orange may be from that being done with orange shellack. In which case, it can be removed relatively easily using denatured alcohol. To determine if it is shellack, apply a small amount of denatured alcohol on an inconspicuous spot, let it sit for a minute and rub it with a soft cloth. Shellack will dissolve.

If it doesn't it's probably polyurethane or varnish. I don't believe varnish is sold with an amber tone like shellack, but it will change color over time (per ROCKIN' THE FINISHes comment above).

Also varnish can (and this may have been) tinted with an oil based stain. You could try the same test using paint thinner... but if it still won't dissolve, it's poly—in which case you'd need to strip it all the way or paint it (which would be a shame). If you do choose paint, consider a distressing technique/antiquing "French" finish. Most paint makers now offer these. Martha Stewart has an entire line of furniture "chic" finishes sold through Home Depot and craft stores. It's kinda pricey but can give it a nice patina while hiding the old finish.

A shame that the previous attempt to "hide" the problem wasn't handled correctly—now you have two bad finishes to deal with.
August 18, 2013 at 7:37am   
Dar Eckert
Wow, that's a lot of wood to deal with. I really like the gray in the ceiling beams not sure if you can use a gray to glaze the wood. I think adding other gray to the room might be nice to bring out the ceiling color.
August 18, 2013 at 7:56am   
Island paint or stain dilemma?
Hi, still in the process of updating our kitchen cabinets....
Stained Siding Dilemma
Does anyone have any advice about what options we have...
Wall Stain Dilemma
Hello All Houzzers, I am trying to patching up some...
Flooring stain dilemma
What floor stain color would go well with these kitchen...
Dilemma mixing woods and wood stains.
We are removing carpet and installing hard wood floors...
Which light fixture do you like?
Trying to decide which type of light fixture to go...
Please help completing my great room
It is a very bare space at the moment as I have focused...
How to refinish mid-mod cradenza?
Found this mid-century piece on Craigslist. It's nice,...
Cottage kitchen colour quandary
Hello everyone, I"m uploading a photo of newly-installed...
Need help for 2-story family room
Need suggestion for our 2-story family room, especially...